Home
Posted By: harv3589 How are the Sako AI .223's - 01/21/13
Anyone know much about the Sako AI .223's? Are they good rifles? I found one in mint condition and am wondering if its worth picking up or am I am better staying with the Ruger Hawkeye I just bought?
Posted By: JasonF Re: How are the Sako AI .223's - 01/21/13
Chalk and cheese, where the Sako is the cheese. And very nice cheese at that. Make the switch if you can afford it.
They are the last evolution of the finest production rifle ever made, IMHO. You could do much , much worse than a Sako AI. Probably more hand fitting and metal work on the Sako bolt than on any other production rifle of that era. I know I have read several times that Sako's require very little trueing when blueprinting an action. The Ruger would not be comparable at all. If you pass on the Sako please let us know where it can be bought and for how much, it won't last long.

Scott
Well I went with the Sako...it should be on its way to me tomorrow...Sako rings are included but the scope is not...I hope it was a good move

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wardman Re: How are the Sako AI .223's - 01/21/13
Love my Sako 85 Carbine. Have fun shooting!
Beautiful rilfe, I own its twin. Let me know if you don't bond with it, I might know of someone interested in owning another... laugh

Scott
Very nice! Stick with the lighter weights and it will be a tack driver.
I am going to try out the 55 gr V-max with it and hope it shoots...
Mine hated everything over 55gr. It really likes 40gr V-max. I also tried 55gr & 60gr V-max, 55gr Win Silvertip, and Black Hills 52gr HP Match. It will be a 1-12" twist barrel. Hope that helps.

Scott
Scott,

that does help! I hope the 55gr vmax shoot...it will be my coyote gun.

I dont currently reload but I am going to start shortly I hope so that may help out for options.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: How are the Sako AI .223's - 01/21/13
That's a great snag, congrats.
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
That's a great snag, congrats.

I hope so...listed at $975
If it is clean that is about right. I think you did well. I went back and looked at my loads from when I got mine and it didn't shoot anything over 50gr very well. It really didn't like the 52gr HP Match or the 60gr V-Max. Those two were leftovers from my Rock River Predator. I finally shot some 40gr V-Max through it, voila, perfection. I haven't even tried anything since and buy all of it I come across in fear Hornady will stop loading them. Groundhogs hate it. I would find the lightest loaded bullets you can find and work up, not vice versa like I did. It's save you some money and time.

Scott
would the 40gr vmax be good for coyotes and give me much range?
It is a consistantly accurate load for me on crows, groundhogs, and coons out to 250 yards, dead right there performance. It blows up groundhogs. I have shot it out to 300 yards and it is well under MOA, not sure on killing power with yotes though. I can tell you a 60gr V-max to the boiler room is extremely destructive on Indiana yotes.

Scott
Ok sounds good...I will give the 55gr vmax a try and hope they shoot good. This is going to be a coyote gun mainly so thats important
Good luck and good shooting.

Scott
Posted By: gerry35 Re: How are the Sako AI .223's - 01/22/13
If the Vmax doesn't work the 55 gr Varmageddon might be a good one to look for it. For $975 CAD I think you did well that gun is in great shape, if you don't like it you should be able to sell it for the same amount. The Sako's are very well built guns.
Posted By: gene270 Re: How are the Sako AI .223's - 01/22/13
an era when sako provided an actual good looking stock instead of the junk today

gene
It is my favorite design, not the Garcia era dinosaur stock or the newer, bland, androgynous design. Just about perfect.

Scott
[Linked Image]

Here's one of the "newer, bland, androgynous design" 85 Classics. Don't see what all the dislike is about.
That's a "Classic", exactly like the "old" Classic design of the Stoeger era. Seen a 75 or Quad lately, makes me wanna puke. Thanks alot Beretta.

[Linked Image]

Yuck!

Scott
i bet yours hold more rounds than my 6ppc. an advantage when you call in 4 or 5 coyote on a stand. the trigger is adjustable and awesome. balance. feel. nice
I'll see your Beretta 85 Classic and raise you two Stoeger AV Classics!

[Linked Image]

Scott
Posted By: gerry35 Re: How are the Sako AI .223's - 01/22/13
LOL, nice pair of guns.
Nice Classics woodshed. I guess I'm weird. I have some older Sako's and like them all. I don't think the newer guns are lacking, especially the quality of the wood. A lot of the older ones are plain/blonde and that's not my thing. The older classics like you have there are beautys.
I just got really turned off with the 75's and Quads, didn't compare to my Finnfire's and AI series rifles. I have not owned an 85 yet but yours looks exceptional. Different strokes for different folks. I'd take any of the above over a new Remington/Winchester/Ruger.

Scott
Posted By: ULA24 Re: How are the Sako AI .223's - 02/05/13
Looks very nice, congrats on the new rifle.
© 24hourcampfire