Home
Posted By: gyro1 rebore opinions - 01/30/13
as title says what does everybody think of reboring thanks in advance rick
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: rebore opinions - 01/31/13
My 2cents worth. Unless it is an uncommon barrel profile (like maybe an ex-mil rifle that you want to keep otherwise in the original form - but has a badly worn bore, but even then you may need other action modifications for the change in cartridge), then it is likely cheaper to get a new barrel.
Posted By: Rubeus_Hagrid Re: rebore opinions - 01/31/13
For me it's a cost-benefit analysis. Big problem is the costs are real and quantifiable and the benefits, while real, are less quantifiable. If you've got a budget number in mind, that's helpful. I assume you're talking about restoring a shooter or a family gun to usable condition, not something with collector value. As M&9 said, a re-barrel may be cheaper. So might a new rifle.

I am faced with your situation with a family Remington 760. With the quotes I've received, both re-barreling or re-boring are just about replacement cost...sigh. But if you've gotta have new bore and it's in the budget and you're not killing a collector, do what you think best and makes you happy.
Posted By: EdM Re: rebore opinions - 01/31/13
I am a rebore fan and own more than a few. Tough to beat the cost of a JES rebore with a rebarrel and blue.
Posted By: Rubeus_Hagrid Re: rebore opinions - 02/01/13
EdM, thanks for the tip. I'll contact JES about costs on said family rifle. Maybe he'll be better than the local guys I've run across.
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: rebore opinions - 02/01/13
Can I ask what something like that would run? Ex. Rem 760 in 30/06, go to 338/06. Just wondering
Posted By: Azshooter Re: rebore opinions - 02/01/13
I had Dan Pederson, Classic Barrel Works http://www.cutrifle.com/ rebore a 30" Lilja 7mm barrel to 338. He also rechambered and crowned it. I am very happy with the work. I recently inquired on cost of just reboring and it was approx $225 for a removable barrel.

I have two custom Lilja SS barrels that are fluted and longer than standard that are close to being worn out. The cost to replace them would be much higher than a reboring job.
Posted By: toad Re: rebore opinions - 02/01/13
i had Delta Gun shop rebore a SS M70 in 7mm WSM to .350 WSM. it cost $225 IIRC and it came back accurate and yes, i'd do it again.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: rebore opinions - 02/01/13
I have had one rifle and two revolvers rebored, Randall Redman rebored my pre 64 Winchester M/70 to .35 Whelen. The revolvers were done by Cliff La Bounty and his successor. In all instances I am well pleased with the work and can recommend the services of these gentlemen without reservation.
Posted By: old70 Re: rebore opinions - 02/01/13
I have had two guns rebored, and have been very satisified with the end product. Much cheaper than rebarrelling, and you keep the original barrel contour.
© 24hourcampfire