Home
Came home from the gunshow with two nice HS precision stocks that had been pillar bedded to replace two tupperware stocks, but I wasn't a fan of the original camo. I decided to finally make an attempt at Krylon GAP camo.

Here's the original camo pattern
[Linked Image]
First, I used rubbing alcohol to de-grease the stock and taped off the recoil pad and bedding/etc. Next came an "adhesive promotor". Then a couple coats of primer. Then a couple coats of tan Krylon. After the tan base I used a small foam brush and did it freehand trying to copy a picture of a gap camo stock that looked the best out of the million that are out there. I had the pic up on a laptop in front of me, but the two stocks came out different as its hard to keep them exactly alike. I thought that the stock should be mostly OD green, so I started with tan as the base, did black next, and OD green last. I did a couple light coats of satin clear minwax polyurethane for a more durable finish.
[Linked Image]
Here's the OD green being applied
[Linked Image]
Here's the finished products.
[Linked Image]
And the assembled rifles.
[Linked Image]
I'm pretty happy with them, and it was even kinda fun.
Awesome job.
I like them. That is a big improvement over the original.
Looks good and the most important word...... Fun smile
Looks great!
Chit yeah. Those are nice!

I like this too

[Linked Image]
Very nice job!
Looks good man!
Wish I had that kind of talent, I'm afraid I'll fook mine up and have to send em to Karnis. blush

Gunner
That turned out well!
what paint were you using for the green and black?

Steve,

What did you use for adhesive promoter?

Casey
Nice.
Good job.
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
what paint were you using for the green and black?

Tan, black, and OD green were Krylon "Camoflague"

Originally Posted by alpinecrick

What did you use for adhesive promoter?

"Adhesive Promoter" spray can from Ace Hardware
Great work, man!
thanks for the info
Nice job. Thanks for the information.
Those are nice looking stocks right there. How'd the minwax poly do? Easy to brush on with a foam brush?
Like the brush idea!
Originally Posted by tominboise
Those are nice looking stocks right there. How'd the minwax poly do? Easy to brush on with a foam brush?

For the "top coat" I just sprayed three light coats about 20 minutes apart over the whole works. I'd read that this gives a much tougher finish than leaving Krylon as the top coat.
Looks great....huge improvement.
Nice
Wow! What a difference!! Nice Job.
Great looking stocks. I just did the same almost exact thing on a tupperware stock. I used the little foam padding that comes out of Barnes bullet boxes as brushes..I know..I'm cheap..but its the same foam and you can cut them any shape you want..
Bill
Well done man!
Originally Posted by slm9s
Came home from the gunshow with two nice HS precision stocks that had been pillar bedded to replace two tupperware stocks, but I wasn't a fan of the original camo. I decided to finally make an attempt at Krylon GAP camo.

Here's the original camo pattern
[Linked Image]
First, I used rubbing alcohol to de-grease the stock and taped off the recoil pad and bedding/etc. Next came an "adhesive promotor". Then a couple coats of primer. Then a couple coats of tan Krylon. After the tan base I used a small foam brush and did it freehand trying to copy a picture of a gap camo stock that looked the best out of the million that are out there. I had the pic up on a laptop in front of me, but the two stocks came out different as its hard to keep them exactly alike. I thought that the stock should be mostly OD green, so I started with tan as the base, did black next, and OD green last. I did a couple light coats of satin clear minwax polyurethane for a more durable finish.
[Linked Image]
Here's the OD green being applied
[Linked Image]
Here's the finished products.
[Linked Image]
And the assembled rifles.
[Linked Image]
I'm pretty happy with them, and it was even kinda fun.

One of those stocks is definitely not a H-S
Those look great.
Yeah, I dont think the bottom one is,(checkering gives it away) but that is sure a great job on the painting.
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
Yeah, I dont think the bottom one is,(checkering gives it away) but that is sure a great job on the painting.

The checkered one is an older Bell & Carlson. I'd hate to pay for an H-S and get a B&C
Very well done!
© 24hourcampfire