Home
Posted By: miguel Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
I'm in the market for a fairly light weight stainless/synthetic short action rifle. I have narrowed it down to the Sako 85 Finnlight, Kimber 84M Montana, and the Browning X-Bolt stainless stalker, all in .308. I am leaning toward the Sako or Kimber, but for the price the Browning seems like quite a deal. I would like to hear the good,the bad, and the ugly of all three before I make a decision.
Posted By: 40O Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
Pdogs or big game? If you like to hike, the kimber can't be beat for the money. If you like long range accuracy the Sako's are awesome. My primary hunting rifle is an 84L 30-06 that is more than accurate enough for anything I hunt(at the ranges I shoot).

I've had a couple of 84M and still miss them and might pick up another.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
I'd go Sako only because thats the one I know best.No flies on the Kimber either.
I'd encourage you to get your grubby mitts on all of them and then make the decision based off what feels best to you.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd also consider the 70EW and a Tikka T3.

Best to you

Dober
Posted By: 40O Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
Anybody else notice that the supply of Kimber Montana 84M&84Ls has dried up?
Posted By: miguel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
This is definitely going to be a big game rifle. Although extreme long range shooting probally will not happen, I like a super accurate rifle as much as the next guy.
Dober, I would like to handle each of them before dropping this kind of cash, but I live in a very rural part of a very gun hating state. With a solid day of driving I doubt I could handle all three rifles.
Posted By: miguel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
I had thought of the M-70 EW as well as the new Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, but the grip on those Bell and Carlsons is just too fat for my liking.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
On my very limited experience I would buy the Sako.

1.I've owned 3 Sako's and all would shoot 1/2 MOA with factory ammo.

2.The only bolt rifle I ever saw fail was a Browning X-Bolt.The bolt locked down after a shot with a guy shooting next to me at the range.Neither of us could get it open.I suggested he take it to a gunsmith.

The X Bolt doesn't fit me at all.I nearly miss my shoulder with just the bottom edge catching at the top of my shoulder every time I mount one fast.You really need to handle them first.

3.There are too many reports of bad or barely acceptable accuracy for me to be comfortable with the Kimber.That doesn't mean I will never own one but I will try to find a proven shooter or expect a possible barrel change.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
I've had both a Finnlight (75) and Montana in .308 (and other Montana's).

The Finnlight will be about 1-1.5 lbs heavier than the Montana. The Finnlight barrel is about 1.5" shorter than the Montana. The Sako stock is the best injection molded stock I've ever handled...but it's still injection molded. The Montana has the best factory stock out there (IMHO). Lot's more choices in rings/base for the Kimber. I didn't care much for the Sako base/mounting system. Finnlight has a detachable mag that is very well designed...if you like detachable mags. Montana is blind mag. The Finnlight I had fed like it had eyes, smooth as silk. The Montana's I've used have been a little rougher, but no problems. I really like the trigger's on both models. I'd put $ on an out of the box Finnlight shooting tighter groups than the Montana, but after a skim bed the Montana might be pretty close...though some have had problems with the Montana (I haven't..yet).

If you replace the Finnlight stock with an Edge you're in sweet city...but that's more $'s.

I had an Extreme Weather that I put an Edge on and it was a pretty sweet rifle as well but I didn't spend much time with it.

If you want as light a rifle as possible, get the Montana. You can scope it and still be under 6 lbs. You'll have to weight the other factors to determine what's best for you....

Good luck!
Posted By: Techsan Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/02/13
I was recently debating between an 85 Finnlight and an 84L Montana and went with the Kimber. The decision was based on the better stock and lighter weight of the rifle, plus I was getting a 25-06 and wanted a 24 inch barrel, and the Finnlight is 22 3/8 or something along those lines. I have not shot the Montana yet, but scoped with a Z3 it just feels so damn light, never knew what I was missing with a lightweight rifle.

I also own an A-Bolt stainless stalker that's been an excellent gun, never felt like it was heavy until I picked it up after holding the Montana. But, everything feels heavy now compared to the Montana.
Posted By: miguel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/03/13
I'm suprised nobody has spoken up to recomend the X-bolt. This is the only one of the three that I have been able to handle first hand recently, and I liked what I saw. It is fairly light weight, about the same as the Finnlight, and as far as factory synthetic stocks go, its not bad, I like the Dura-coat coating. Also, I may be mistaken but I thought the Brownings were known for their accuracy, maybe not in the same leauge as the Sako, but not bad for half the price.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/03/13
I don't have personal experience with the X-bolt, only what I've heard from others. From what I've heard, it's not in the running with either of the other two. whistle ...but again, that's second hand...
My dad has an browning abolt and it shoots and handles darn well. Took a south Texas whitetail with it last year. Doubt you'd be disappointed. I have 3 older sako's that are amazing quality for the price. Not familiar with the newer 85's. really like the kimber from what I've seen especially weight wise. I recently went with the new winchester over the kimber 84m and it hasn't disappointed. Doubt you could go wrong with any of the 3 or add the new winchester.
That a bolt has held .5 inch to .75 inch 3 shot groups with with everything we've tried.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/03/13
My 300 Win Mag X-Bolt Stainless Stalker is a fine shooter. It is lightweight, nicely balanced and fits me well. My hunting buddy has the same rifle in a 338 Win Mag and a 270 and both of his are accurate as well. In fact, his 270 is a tack driver. Neither of us have had any problems with our X-Bolts and they have been to the range many times, on two elk hunts and several deer hunts over the past few years. I'd buy another X-Bolt without another thought.
My one experience with a Kimber was less than stellar, and I can't afford a sako . But my 7mm08 x bolt is just stupid accurate and it is not picky.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/03/13
If you can find one, I'd give the Browning Ti a serious look.
Originally Posted by miguel
I had thought of the M-70 EW as well as the new Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, but the grip on those Bell and Carlsons is just too fat for my liking.
I agree...............I would go with the X-Bolt here, the Kimbers are too much of a pig in a poke chance and for their price that's not acceptable, the Sako Finnlight is a very solid rifle but I don't like the clamp on scope mounting system they have, if you could find a Sako A7 stainless in .308 win (A7's use Weaver type bases that actually screw into the receiver)I think you'd love it...............Good luck.............Hb
Posted By: bh444 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/03/13
Miguel,
I currently have a Montana 8400 (270WSM)and a 85 Finnlight (308 Win).Both are very nice.The Sako is the one I grab the most.The Sako is also a tad lighter all up.
If you ever head down to Albany(don't know why anyone would want to)I'll let you handle them.
miguel.....Out of those three....x-bolt...but as dober suggested take a serious look at the Tikka T3. The accuracy of a T3 is beyond reproach. I've seen and shot custom rifles that wish they could shoot as well as a T3. BTW...where abouts in NY do you live???
About 60 miles north of Watertown.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/03/13
I'm a big fan of the Sako, but the stock fits me like a glove and just plain works extremely well. In my experience, the synthetic stocked Sakos tend to weigh less than the advertised weight, so they are not greatly heavier than the Kimber. But, the Sako can hold 6 rounds which adds up if you load it so and count ounces. I'm also a huge fan of the Sako 1-pc Optilock ringmounts which in combination with the Sako stock, places the scope tube center at a near perfect height for my fit. So speaking in terms of ergonomics, the Sako is the best handling and best fit production rifle I've owned straight out the box.

If the Kimber fit me as well and the Sako did not, I'd then be giving kudos to the Kimber. So as suggested previously, I'd handle both before making a definitive pick. If the Sako stock ends up the better fit, don't have any performance concerns over its construction. You'd gain little if not zero advantage by going to a shell constructed stock. If the Sako does not fit well, then the added price of changing stocks would be problematic in the added expense and the unknown of rifle fit with a different stock.

Best smile
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/03/13
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I don't have personal experience with the X-bolt, only what I've heard from others. From what I've heard, it's not in the running with either of the other two. whistle ...but again, that's second hand...

Here's a little first hand.

I've got 2 X-Bolts. Both shoot under MOA with every load I've run through them. BIL has 2 and son has 1 and they do the same.

Good trigger, stock fits me pretty well and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I've owned 2 Sakos, nice stocks and nice rifles for sure. but neither shot as well as the XBolts, but they are fine rifles.

I have no interest in Kimber because I've had friends that bought them.
This can get maddening. I have heard about the Kimbers that won't shoot better than 3" groups, the Brownings that won't feed or eject, and the Finnlights that shoot well sometimes then won't shoot worth a damn. I am going to try and locate a Finnlight that I can look at first hand. I have looked the Browning over well, and I can go look at a Kimber anytime I want, although it would be a 70 mile drive. Right now I am leaning toward the Sako, but time will tell.
I miss the days before the internet, there is such a thing as having too much information.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/04/13
Miguel, go with your gut feel and get the Sako. If you don't, you will always wonder if you made the right decision. If it doesn't work for you, then sell it and get a Browning X-Bolt, because it is the best and you will come to the realization that you really screwed up in not buying one in the first place. Just kidding! Any one of the rifles you are looking at would be a good choice. Good luck in your search for the best.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/04/13
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/04/13
I've had good luck with my Montana 7mm/08. Also, If it's in your budget, i would take a look at the Cooper Xcalibers.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/04/13
I agree with John Moses about the accuracy of the X-bolt. I love my Sakos and won't be parting with them, but my 2 X-bolts are the two most accurate sporter weight rifles I've ever owned. There's really no bad choice of the 3 but I'd rate them.
Sako
Browning
Kimber
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/04/13
based on my experience, i'd go:
1. sako
2. browning
3. kimber

i've owned a couple kimbers.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/04/13
All are damn fine rifles - it just depends on your budgetary constraints and bascially what feels better in your hands.
Quality wise the Sako / Kimber are certainly up there but the Browning is renown for its accuracy and not being ammo-fussy.
Its purely your choice - but if i was making the decision it would be Sako, Kimber, Browning.
(decison made easier in that i already own a Finnlight in 270 Win- great stalking rifle.)

Gus
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/05/13
With all of the threads on this site and many others about what pieces of junk Browning A-Borts are; I am suprised people still buy them or the latest X-Bort. Pot metal parts, poor engineering with a multitude of pins, springs, pieces and sub assemblies, did I mention pot metal parts, all have been mentioned here numerous times. Exploding barrels posted by esteemed member JJHACK, and fellows claiming they would not be caught dead on a elk mountain with a Jap rifle. They seem to attract fellows who know very little, or simply do not care about good rifle design. I'll put on my flame suit, but don't shoot the messenger. All of this and more has been said often about the A-Bolt, right here at the fire.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/05/13
It has been nine months since I last personally witnessed an A-Bolt fail in the field... But it was just on a Kodiak brown bear hunt... Not like it was an important hunt or anything... Or where a failure could be a real problem...

On a lot of mechanical things a simple parts count should be a very early question in "Which is better..."
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/05/13
Originally Posted by ULA24
With all of the threads on this site and many others about what pieces of junk Browning A-Borts Kimber Montanas are; I am suprised people still buy them.

Both have their followers and detractors.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/05/13
I had a Kimber Montan in 270 WSM. It was terrible accuracy wise both before and after sending it back to the factory to be analyzed. On a rare occaison it would shoot a 2" group, but usually it was worse. I'll never own another.
I have had lots of great experiences with Sako rifles. Have only owned one A bolt and it performed very well.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/05/13
The gun I have seen fail most is probably a Remington 1100. I don't blame the gun.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/05/13
I have had very good experiences with the Kimber Montanas.

donsm70
I like the Kimbers i have now. a couple others not so much. Sako 85's i have had were nice. Depends what fits you. Never been a browning guy except for their shotguns. Which some people say their rifles shoot like smile
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/05/13
I love my Kimbers, but they have all needed a little TLC to get them where I wanted.
Posted By: UAE Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/06/13
I have owned both.... Today I have only Sako 85.
338WM, 7RM, 7/08, 243W
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/06/13

Sako doesn't belong in the same paragraph with Kimber or Browning...
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/06/13
Why Shrapnel?

Are they more reliable?

Are they more accurate?

That's probably true when compared to Kimber, but that hasn't been my experience with Browning and Sakos.

Sako has a little better trigger and you usually get some nice wood, but I have't seen it regarding performance and I've owned and been around quite a few of both.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Why Shrapnel?

Are they more reliable?

Are they more accurate?

That's probably true when compared to Kimber, but that hasn't been my experience with Browning and Sakos.

Sako has a little better trigger and you usually get some nice wood, but I haven't seen it regarding performance and I've owned and been around quite a few of both.

I believe you answered the question yourself. All your points are true, not to mention that the Sako is better made. I would also qualify that with the older models as I have no interest in post-75 models. Once Beretta got their hands on them, they have changed and in my estimation that wasn't for the better. If you are looking on the used gun market, a Sako is still the best value out there, New, I wouldn't look at any of the mentioned rifles...
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/06/13
I'll agree the Sakos are made better than Browning or Kimber but disagree that the new models are inferior. I've got new 85's and older Sakos and the new ones will hang with the oldies IMO.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
A point of clarification, I didn't say the new Sako was inferior, just butt-ugly and there is no place in my safe for an ugly gun...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by shrapnel
A point of clarification, I didn't say the new Sako was inferior, just butt-ugly and there is no place in my safe for an ugly gun...

Feel a little better now.

I love ugly guns.
Posted By: Shag Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'd encourage you to get your grubby mitts on all of them and then make the decision based off what feels best to you.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd also consider the 70EW and a Tikka T3.

Best to you

Dober

Agreed! Better add the Sako A7 to that list!!! smile
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Here's one of the new ugly 85 Classics. This wood is typical. I've owned a few now. IMO these look every bit as good as anything Sako has ever produced.

[Linked Image]
That is nice!
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
That is nice indeed!

But, I have to disagree with;

This wood is typical.

That is the nicest piece of wood I have ever seen on a 75 or 85

And . . . for $2,000 . . . . I am thinking Cooper, not Sako.

At twice the price of the Kimber or Browning, that rifle really has no bearing on the conversation.
Posted By: miguel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Horseman, That is a seriously NICE rifle. I think I may be getting the Sako itch.
Karnis has a Kimber Select 280AI that is in the running with 'ugly 85' Sako.
Whelenaway, check out the 85 classics on Gunbroker. Bavarian model too. Amazing wood on most of them. This is my third classic and they all have wood similar to this one.
I have seen them . . . but I like yours better smile

And . . . they are $800-$1200 more than the Kimber/Browning
Yeah they don't give em away.
Karnis has a Kimber Select 280AI that is in the running with 'ugly 85' Sako.

I have an 84L 30-06 that is as nice as well.

The Kimber may not be as accurate as the Sako, but at a full pound less that should really be no surprise.

It has been a long time since I owned a Browning, but the few I owned were accurate rifles.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I love ugly guns.

Another point of clarificatin, I didn't say I don't have ugly guns, just no room in my safe for one...
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I love ugly guns.

Another point of clarificatin, I didn't say I don't have ugly guns, just no room in my safe for one...

Me either, ugly #1 stays in the pickup!
Posted By: postoak Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Just what is this "pot metal" in the X-bolt? I know they use some aluminum -- like most others do these days.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
My #1 favorite rifle is the most butt-ugly rifle I've ever owned. But she works so hard and well that I appreciate the beauty beneath the surface. She is a Sako, but fugly as sin having no hope to pretty up.

Best smile
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by Horseman
Here's one of the new ugly 85 Classics. This wood is typical. I've owned a few now. IMO these look every bit as good as anything Sako has ever produced.

[Linked Image]

The new 85 Classics are just as nice as the original Finnbear Classics. If they come out with a left-handed version, I'll be all over it.

For the money, they're a better deal than a Cooper, IMHO. The checkering isn't quite as fine, but at least the wood is finished.
Posted By: vthunter Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
I have not had A Browning that would not eject a spent 30-06 case, however I did have a 85 finnlight that did just that. Im not sure how that makes the Sako better though, And I sure as heck wouldnt want to hunt Brown bear with a weapon that wouldnt allow a follow up shot...
Originally Posted by vthunter
I have not had A Browning that would not eject a spent 30-06 case, however I did have a 85 finnlight that did just that. Im not sure how that makes the Sako better though, And I sure as heck wouldnt want to hunt Brown bear with a weapon that wouldnt allow a follow up shot...

1. If you hunt dangerous game without thoroughly verifying the functioning of your rifle, you get what you deserve.

2. ANY Sako rifle is built to a far higher standard than an A-Bolt or X(crement) Bolt. There is much to be said for using steel and quality wood.
Posted By: vthunter Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by 270Mag
Originally Posted by vthunter

1. If you hunt dangerous game without thoroughly verifying the functioning of your rifle, you get what you deserve.

2. ANY Sako rifle is built to a far higher standard than an A-Bolt or X(crement) Bolt. There is much to be said for using steel and quality wood.

If there high standards include the rifle failing to eject spent cases, they can keep them. If a rifle costing more than the other rifles doesnt function at least as well, and should be better, what is the point?
Your complaint on the Sako 85 is not uncommon with rifle actions using blade-type ejectors. They don't fling the empty brass out of the action unless you cycle the bolt with sufficient authority. If you manipulate the bolt like you're holding an h'orderve fork, you're going to have problems.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
One lemon does not make all Sakos bad. Maybe you cannot work a bolt properly, who knows. Fact is, there has been a bunch of Browning A-Bolt horror tales posted here, and elsewhere. Some involving high dollar hunts. Having examined both rifles, Browning's A-Bolt is not fit to be in the same sentence as Sako. I have owned a few Sakos, all were as good out of the box rifles as it can possibly get. My only issue at the time I was playing around with them, was they were heavier than I wanted for my personal uses, and I don't want a chopped barrel like on the Finnlight. Otherwise, they are darn near perfect.
ULA24, most of the 85 Finnlights I've seen have same length barrel as the other 85's. The 75's were the ones that often had 2" shorter shafts.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/07/13
I have a Kimber and a couple of Sakos, among a bunch of other rifles. The Kimber is pretty, handles nicely, I'll give it that. It has also given me more headaches getting it to work right (including a trip back to the factory) than any production rifle in that price range has a right to. The Sakos are pretty (to my eye)and function absolutely flawlessly. They shoot bugholes. The only Brownings I own are a BT-99 trap and a Belgian .22 auto. Since Browning went to Japan their rifles look, to me anyway, like a collaboration between a French-Canadian interior decorator and a Japanese filmmaker. I just can't warm up to them.
I think that most of the lengths are appropriate now, except the 22-3/8" barrel oon the 25-06.

I can't understand why the 6.5x55, 30-06, and 270 all have the same action, yet the 6.5x55 has a 24-3/8" barrel and the others are 22-3/8"

They must be perceiving some European vs. American barrel length preference.
Posted By: vthunter Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/08/13
One lemon does not make all Sakos bad. Maybe you cannot work a bolt properly, who knows. Fact is, there has been a bunch of Browning A-Bolt horror tales posted here, and elsewhere. Some involving high dollar hunts. Having examined both rifles, Browning's A-Bolt is not fit to be in the same sentence as Sako. I have owned a few Sakos, all were as good out of the box rifles as it can possibly get. My only issue at the time I was playing around with them, was they were heavier than I wanted for my personal uses, and I don't want a chopped barrel like on the Finnlight. Otherwise, they are darn near perfect.

Again, if you need to think about how you are working the bolt in order for it to eject the shells properly, why is it better? I want a rifle to work when and how it is supposed to, and not have to think about if I am working the bolt fast enough, or hard enough to do what every other bolt rifle I own does. As far as A-bolts, dont own one of them, just several x-bolts.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/08/13
Your complaint on the Sako 85 is not uncommon with rifle actions using blade-type ejectors. They don't fling the empty brass out of the action unless you cycle the bolt with sufficient authority. If you manipulate the bolt like you're holding an h'orderve fork, you're going to have problems.

So he doesn't know how to manipulate the bolt properly?

And you know this how?

I've shot hundreds of animals (Hogs, yotes and Whitetails) with A-Bolts and haven't had any problem.

Laffin'
Posted By: TommyJ Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/08/13
I have two X-Bolts - .243 for coyotes and 7-08 deer rifle. Both shoot under an inch with most ammo, from day-1. Great trigger. I like the light weight and the rubberized stock. Very easy rifle to handle. Also like the 4-screw bases. I think they are well made rifles. TJ
Fact is, there has been a bunch of Browning A-Bolt horror tales posted here, and elsewhere. Some involving high dollar hunts.

Seems to me that there have only been a very few horror tales regarding Brownings on this site, but the haters just love to retell them constantly and lots of people refer to these horror tales, having no first hand knowledge or experience. Not pointing at you specifically, just a generalization.

Kimber on the other hand, has hundreds of bad stories on this site alone. Sako is out of my financial reach and probably a lot of others.....I am sure they are nice rifles.

I personally love Brownings and among my immediate family, we have about 15 a-bolts (some for 20+ yrs) and now 4 x-bolts. I can't say we've ever had a single problem except a burned out barrel from shooting too hot handloads. Some of the a-bolts (including mine) have killed 300+ whitetails and go afield 50+ days a year.
Posted By: miguel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/08/13
I asked for suggestions and thats what I got, and then some. I can't say that I have made a difinitive decision yet, but I am leaning toward the Finnlight,with the X-bolt in second place. I have a friend who is a dealer and I have been trying to contact him to see what my price on all three would be. The best price on the Finnlight over the phone I have been able to get is $1399, and $849 for the stainless stalker. If his prices aren't much better than these I am going to have to do some soul searching. Logically speaking, would the Sako be so much better than the X-bolt that it would be worth $550 more. The problem I have is logic rarely ever influences my gun decisions.
Posted By: John_G Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/08/13
Miguel,
I once owned an A-Bolt. It was accurate, but there is more to a good gun than that. The Browning is not in the same league as a Sako or Kimber, but then it doesn't cost as much, either.

Between the Sako and Kimber, I'm with others who've previously chimed in and recommend that you try each to determine which fits and feels the best for you. Shooting them would be really nice, as the light weight of the Kimber might produce more recoil than you'd be comfortable with for longer sessions at the range.

Also, I agree with others and suggest you look at a Win 70 stainless Featherweight or EW or a Tikka T3. Pricewise, they are more in the league of the Browning, but a better design IMHO.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/08/13
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Fact is, there has been a bunch of Browning A-Bolt horror tales posted here, and elsewhere. Some involving high dollar hunts.

Seems to me that there have only been a very few horror tales regarding Brownings on this site, but the haters just love to retell them constantly and lots of people refer to these horror tales, having no first hand knowledge or experience. Not pointing at you specifically, just a generalization.

Kimber on the other hand, has hundreds of bad stories on this site alone. Sako is out of my financial reach and probably a lot of others.....I am sure they are nice rifles.

I personally love Brownings and among my immediate family, we have about 15 a-bolts (some for 20+ yrs) and now 4 x-bolts. I can't say we've ever had a single problem except a burned out barrel from shooting too hot handloads. Some of the a-bolts (including mine) have killed 300+ whitetails and go afield 50+ days a year.

I have read the Kimber tales of woe also, and I am not discounting them. Mainly they seem to revolve around accuracy issues and that is all. I am willing to bet that 80% of those issues are caused by guys that cannot shoot period, don't try other loads, cannot handload, etc.. Whereas, the A-Bolt issues are caused by poor design and cheap materials, leading to serious problems, with examples of catastrophic failure in some instances. Accuracy is just one part of a good hunting rifle. Savage makes highly accurate hunting rifles, but I personally would never own one. Howa makes fine accurate solid rifles, but some guys just won't hunt American game with a Jap rifle. In factory rifles the Model 70 and the Kimber have the most time tested reliable design to many, but they are often not stellar right out of the box. I think it is hard to beat Sako for pure out of the box perfection, without having to play around with the rifle. I have had great luck with Weatherby's myself, but some have issues with them too. Hunting is supposed to be fun, so you should use whatever rifle brand brings you happiness. The problems start when poor rifles designs are compared, or said to be as good as proven rifle designs. That's when the sparks fly.
I've had and hunted with all 3. They were all accurate and reliable. I'd rank them in the following order:

1) Sako - The most accurate of the three for me (although by a very small margin).
2.) Kimber- Very, very close second. As a matter of fact, it may be a tie with the Sako. Very nice package and mine shot ~ 2" 5-shot groups @ 200 when I held up my end of the deal. I love the Montana stocks, as well.
3) Browning - I got a good deal on one and used it a season. It was also very accurate, but I bought the Kimber above from a forum member and liked the Kimber significantly better. I've read about poor materials used in their production that have contributed to premature failure, but mine never failed in its limited use. I can't comment on possible design flaws as I'm in a completely different engineering field, but a lot of people more qualified than me believe the flaws exist. Mine functioned flawlessly, albeit under limited use.

It's really a shame that you won't have the opportunity to compare them in person. Maybe there are some features you can compare that are important to you (i.e. stock, magazine type, etc). Maybe one edges out the rest? Based on your list, I'd choose between the Kimber and Sako. Good luck and enjoy your purchase!
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/09/13
I'm in the market for a fairly light weight stainless/synthetic short action rifle.

Since you want a stainless synthetic rifle, I would strongly consider the Kimber, with it's high-quality synthetic stock.

The Kimber Monana stock compares favorably with the $500 McMillan's that everyone drops their 700's into.

The Browning at a fair bit less money has the injection molded stock common in its price range.

The Sako has an injection molded stock too. I cannot understand how Sako continues to offer this stock on a $1400 rifle. I don't know who buys them, but I wouldn't. For that money, you should get a quality stock IMHO.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/09/13
The Sako stock while injection molded, is a very high quality stock. Very little flex and the rubberized texture is very nice. From a pure carry/hunt point of view it compares favorably to my McM's. I agree the Kimber stock is very nice too although a bit perch belly on some models.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/09/13

So he doesn't know how to manipulate the bolt properly?

And you know this how?

I've shot hundreds of animals (Hogs, yotes and Whitetails) with A-Bolts and haven't had any problem.

Laffin'

The design of the Sako isn't to eject a cartridge when you shoot a pig or a squirrel, it is designed to mechanically eject the casing with a complete rearward pull on the bolt that ejects the casing reliably every time. A plunger/spring loaded ejector works when there is no grit or debris in the plunger, the Sako extractor will work even when dirty...
Posted By: miguel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/11/13
I have decided it will be the Finnlight, preferably in .308, but a 7mm08 wouldn't be bad either. I have always wanted a Sako and the time is right. I remember when I was a kid, some gun writer, I think the recently deceased John Wooters, said when someone asked what rifle do you recomend that will do it all, give good accuracy, be dependable,etc.,he always told them to get a Sako .308 and you will not be dissapointed. Funny how I remember that after all of these years. Now to find one. My dealer is looking, and I have called a few places but no luck on a .308 yet.
Predict you will be pleased. grin
Posted By: UAE Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/14/13
Excellent Choice !
I have a Sako 85 in 7mm-08 and it's a dream ! From my point of view the 7mm-08 is a far better caliber than a 308W.

You should look at eurooptic.com its a "premium sako dealer" and look at the Sako 85 Grey wolf the barrel is a 22ic laminated stock.

if you want a synthetic stock you could upgrade and that the optimum barrel length for the 7/08.
Posted By: Durnman Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/19/13
I can't speak for the sako or kimber because I've never shot either, but I own a Xbolt in .325 WSM composite stalker and I love it. The removable mags make for quick reloads if you buy extra mags. Nice trigger. I worked up a load with 200 grain accubonds that shoots .75 inch group at 2900 fps. It's a great rifle for the money.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/19/13
After owning a Sako 85, Kimber Montana's(3) and an X-Bolt, the Sako is certainly the pick for me.
Congrats on your choice Miguel. I certainly hope you find your Sako.

It's difficult to ask questions and get all the negativity that comes with it and I don't care what forum you visit. Actually, The Fire is the best in my experience.

I was in the same boat as you, but I am able to handle all of them. Remington, Savage and Kimber were my choices and I just bought the Kimber 3 hours ago. I need a 6 lb. rifle for my hunting and Kimber nails it. I could care less about bench accuracy. If I can hit a pie plate at 100 yards then I am good to go. Weight is what I care about and nothing else.

I hope to add a Pre-Berretta Sako to my collection someday.
The Fins know their rifles.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/21/13
It is an easy comparison:

Sako

Kimber, if it shoots...

Browning

Kimber, if it doesn't shoot.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/21/13
So Sako's aren't designed to eject when shooting hogs or squirrels? whistle

I guess I'm lucky, Mine did. I wasn't aware that they were equipped with a super ejection mode, based soley on what you are shooting at. They should advertise that feature more...

I've got thousands of rounds through a dozen or so A-Bolts and have never had an ejection issue, misfire, etc.

Call me weird, but I tend to go with actual experience with something versus guess work and fourth hand info.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/21/13
O.K. you are wierd...

Now that's out of the way, the conclusions made about the reliability issue seems to be based on DG hunting, that is the reason for the pig/squirrel comment.

Sakos are reliable and have been proven in the DG hunting fields of Africa, not to mention North America as well. No one, including Browning, makes a more reliable feeding and extracting action than a Sako. The PRF vs the CRF issue will always be debated, but the Sako hasn't been blamed for too many deaths due to unreliability. If I were traveling to Africa to hunt DG, I would still prefer a Sako with a magazine over a double rifle.

Sako's continue to work well beyond their acceptance by those who have not used them...
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/21/13
... the conclusions made about the reliability issue seems to be based on DG hunting, that is the reason for the pig/squirrel comment.

The old Dangerous Game card... yikes.

First, I don't recall the OP saying he is hunting dangerous Game.

So let me see if I understand this, had my Browning's been shooting at "Dangerous Game", they probably wouldn't have a flawless ejection rate?

Please cite all the hunters who have been eaten by Dangerous game because their Browning failed to eject.

You can also include those who have been killed by martians and squatches.
"The old dangerous game card".........Funny chit!............Hb
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/22/13
... the conclusions made about the reliability issue seems to be based on DG hunting, that is the reason for the pig/squirrel comment.

The old Dangerous Game card... yikes.

First, I don't recall the OP saying he is hunting dangerous Game.

So let me see if I understand this, had my Browning's been shooting at "Dangerous Game", they probably wouldn't have a flawless ejection rate?

Please cite all the hunters who have been eaten by Dangerous game because their Browning failed to eject.

Your love of Brownings is duly noted, I didn't ever say they weren't reliable or accurate, I was only posting the positive aspects of a Sako that have historically been brought up on this forum, not necessarily by you specifically...

Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/22/13

John, I've been to Roswell and saw a Martian there. I've also seen a pink elephant or two. But I've yet to lay eyes on a "squatches". Is that some Deep South thang?
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/22/13
Not sure its confined to the South, they're probably plenty in New Mexico, but ya'll are too busy looking up, checking the sky for spacecraft to see them.

Word is, Shrapnel has them hiding on his place in Montana.

Gonna turn 'em loose on A-Bolt owners, but I'm ready.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/22/13
... I didn't say I don't have ugly guns, just no room in my safe for one...

So basically, it just sounds to me like your safe has no room. laugh
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Sako,Kimber,or Browning - 02/22/13
Miguel,
My Sako 85 Finnlight purchase was my last effort to buy a fine production rifle that would be all I could ever expect in a commercial offering. I added a McMillan Edge bedded & fitted by them. It fits me like a surgical glove. For the money, it's as much gun as you're gonna get.

If you are looking for a guarantee on loads & accuracy you'll have to go with a custom build.
© 24hourcampfire