Home
Posted By: SLDUCK shooting a 740 remington - 02/03/13
My Dad had a 740 Remington. He bought it to hunt the woods of northern Minnesota with his father in law and brother in law. Never did so. Gun bought in 1953 or so. He custom stocked it and had a Weaver tip off with Weaver 4X post reticle. . Shot probaly 50 times. I am taking it to the range tomorrow. Lost my Dad 4 years ago. We hunted all the time. He never shot this gun as we are in Iowa. I have some Remington 180s he had and Winny Silvertiprs 180. The rounds are probably worth more than shooting fodder but I am going to shoot them anyway. Should be interesting.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: shooting a 740 remington - 02/03/13
Should be a good one with that few rounds through it. My Dad's old 740 is a single shot now after a bazillion rounds through it. Just for lookin' at, anymore.
Posted By: Gord Re: shooting a 740 remington - 02/03/13
The first rifle I ever bought was a M740 and I used it to kill my first few deer. I hadn't used it in years but had a friend who needed to borrow a rifle so used it as an excuse to work up a light recoiling 150gr load, and mount a 2.5x Bushnell Banner in super low Burris rings on it. She used it last fall to take her first deer. Have fun, it's nice to get these oldies out shooting again.
© 24hourcampfire