Home
Posted By: bigwhoop Forbes rifles - Some new info - 04/10/13
I have some new info for those following what Forbes Rifle is doing up in Maine. The 24B is being made now for the 6.5x55,.280Rem and 35 Whelen. That is in addition to the .270Win, 30-06 and the 25-06.

Stainless barrels are coming in and will be available shortly for all calibers. Stainless actions probably available in 2014.

Short actions, the 20B, are being designed for the .243, .308 and 7mm-08.

Four new paint colors will be offered. An OD camo, a hunter green, earth brown and coyote brown. The black/gray granite is still available.

In the future (2014/2015) will be 3 magnum calibers with a new action.

As always, everything will be available in left handed models.

So, that is your unofficial news from the people at Forbes Rifles.
Rick and I have exchanged several emails and I changed the stock color on the 20B 243 I have on order.

It may be a while before it comes in, but it's going to be worth the wait! I'm anxious to see how close it actually comes to the 4.75lb advertised weight.
How much are the stainless short actions going to run
I have a stainless 7-08 on order too, but I have no idea on the price!

The stainless 24B has a suggested retail of $1499. I ordered both rifles through Forbes at the same time and was "cc'ing" my dealer on all emails. I'm no FFL, so they'll work out a price then my FFL will give me the number. The dealer takes good care of me, so I'm sure they'll treat me right.
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
How much are the stainless short actions going to run

He quoted me $1470 on the 24B. I wouldn't think the short action would be much different.

New options out there to think about.
I'm waiting for 20B to rebarrel to a 250 AI. Love that petite little action.
I'd imagine they'll be several guys rebarreling over time. The 3" mag box allows lots of room to play.
Of course I don't have any sales figures for Kimber, but they do have pages and pages of auto pistols. I presume they have a long backlog of autos to build. That might take them away from their lightweight rifle market share. There has been quite a dry spell for Kimbers on the gun sites, although one from Idaho has quite a few for sale. This could open up an advantage for Forbes if they can keep product coming out in a reasonable delivery time and of course make no concession for quality control.
Agreed. I definitely think Kimber gives handguns top priority....and if they're more profitable at that game, so be it. They have to thrive and survive.

In my opinion, had Forbes jumped in the game initially with a stainless 20B you'd see more 84m Montana's for sale now. If they keep QC and production in check, they'll grab a big share of the lightweight market.
The one I bought here from Tennessee and a group shot this morning with 180 gr Fed Soft Point Factories
Burris 4-12 Mini

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Can't beat that. Those rifles sound awesome...
What stands out for Forbes Rifles is: Melvin. This fellow will talk your ear off about rifles if he had a chance. He built himself from the ground up, undoubtedly made mistakes, corrected them and improved. This is the type of dedication that should keep his brand very high in the QC arena. With most of the kevlar stocks being made now in Maine, he was very meticulous to teach the technique to ensure his highest standards. Hopefully the new arrangement continues to do things right and increase their market share.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I have some new info for those following what Forbes Rifle is doing up in Maine. The 24B is being made now for the 6.5x55,.280Rem and 35 Whelen. That is in addition to the .270Win, 30-06 and the 25-06.

Stainless barrels are coming in and will be available shortly for all calibers. Stainless actions probably available in 2014.

Short actions, the 20B, are being designed for the .243, .308 and 7mm-08.

Four new paint colors will be offered. An OD camo, a hunter green, earth brown and coyote brown. The black/gray granite is still available.

In the future (2014/2015) will be 3 magnum calibers with a new action.

As always, everything will be available in left handed models.

So, that is your unofficial news from the people at Forbes Rifles.

Interesting, thanks for the info bigwhoop.

Any idea on the twists?
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
What stands out for Forbes Rifles is: Melvin. This fellow will talk your ear off about rifles if he had a chance. He built himself from the ground up, undoubtedly made mistakes, corrected them and improved. This is the type of dedication that should keep his brand very high in the QC arena. With most of the kevlar stocks being made now in Maine, he was very meticulous to teach the technique to ensure his highest standards. Hopefully the new arrangement continues to do things right and increase their market share.

I can't help but wonder if Melvin hopes/plans to see Forbes eventually cannibalize NULA. Based on the reports and reviews I've seen, the Forbes offers everything a similarly chambered NULA does for 1/3 the price. There will always be some who want custom options, but Melvin almost certainly narrowed his own market with the Forbes.
Maybe this is Melvin's retirement plan? I've heard mention that his family isn't directly involved and he needs succession. I'm not calling Melvin old, but everybody thinks of calling it a day sooner or later.

If this is the case, I consider it another one of his brilliant ideas. If Forbes thrives, he (and his heirs) may make more money in the long run.

The most successful people I know didn't do it by themselves. They surrounded themselves with individuals as capable (or more so) than they were and let the business grow with the help of many.
Posted By: JPro Re: Forbes rifles - Some new info - 04/10/13
A 24B with a stainless barrel in 6.5x55 would certainly be a neat one, provided it is twisted right.
Originally Posted by JPro
A 24B with a stainless barrel in 6.5x55 would certainly be a neat one, provided it is twisted right.
Wonder if a 6.5X284 would clean that up in a re-chamber and feed from the mag????
Originally Posted by JPro

I too wonder how the twisting is gonna go? I was kinda thinking 243 and possibly punching 6-284 since it has the 3" box. Also curious about throating?

Anyway carry on and thanks for the new info.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Maybe this is Melvin's retirement plan? I've heard mention that his family isn't directly involved and he needs succession. I'm not calling Melvin old, but everybody thinks of calling it a day sooner or later.

If this is the case, I consider it another one of his brilliant ideas. If Forbes thrives, he (and his heirs) may make more money in the long run.

The most successful people I know didn't do it by themselves. They surrounded themselves with individuals as capable (or more so) than they were and let the business grow with the help of many.

I think this is exactly what the man has in mind.

donsm70

I could like a blued action with a S/S Bbl. in a 280 Rem.

I could like a blued 7-08 or 280 cerakoted sniper gray.
Well, Melvin isn't getting any younger and by catering to a 1/3 less price point he can appeal to many more buyers. NULA could be sold off to someone else or merged with the Titan Machine people. There will always be those who want a pute custom. In either case I assume Melvin has himself/family protected with some kind of royalty agreement.
After years in the industry, I hope it all works out for his benefit.
I wish he would make it in 260
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I wish he would make it in 260

+1000000

My NULA .260 could use a kissin cousin in the safe.
Would like to see a 284 win offered.
284 would be the only interest for me.
After conclusion of business in Iowa City last tuesday, I visited Scheels and found a 24B 30-06 in their case.

While fit, finish, and construction looked to be remarkable for a production rifle, I was dismayed that the pistol grip radiused tightly enough that my trigger finger curled completely around the front of the trigger guard.

I could not get my trigger finger on the trigger at all with my hand anywhere on the grip...
You must have the largest hands of any human.......ever
Originally Posted by johnw
After conclusion of business in Iowa City last tuesday, I visited Scheels and found a 24B 30-06 in their case.

While fit, finish, and construction looked to be remarkable for a production rifle, I was dismayed that the pistol grip radiused tightly enough that my trigger finger curled completely around the front of the trigger guard.

I could not get my trigger finger on the trigger at all with my hand anywhere on the grip...

Are you Karl Malone? I shook hands with him once....
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
You must have the largest hands of any human.......ever

No... Not at all.

I am a large unit, but my hands are about the size of most working guys... I never could palm B-ball. XL glove fits fine, mostly...

I actually heard about the grip issue with the forbes on another thread, and went there looking to see for myself.
I had the same issue with the ruger 77 Mk IIs...
That's one reason I like that stock so much. If it was just a little closer it'd be perfect (for me).
Lol.....so most working guys have xl hands? I wonder what guys with little hands do for a living?

They run calculators and briefcases.....grin
The tight/close grip is my only complaint with the NULA. I'm assuming the Forbes has the same closed grip.
Lol

This is a great example of how you can't please everyone. The "tight/closed" grip is the #1 reason in love that stock!

grin
Originally Posted by greentimber
This is a great example of how you can't please everyone. The "tight/closed" grip is the #1 reason in love that stock!

grin

No way man! If I ain't pleased, ain't no one pleased! grin

I can live with the grip (not like it's bad) in exchange for all the other good things going on with the rifle.
Originally Posted by Tanner
They run calculators and briefcases.....grin

You'll smoke a turd for that one!! Poobs will NOT be pleased...
© 24hourcampfire