Home
Posted By: ingwe 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
OK...a couple of you were curious, and mind you I only tried two loads so far in one rifle. The other was with H335 and wasnt quite the right answer..

These are both the same load, 2 different groups, 200 yds.
This is a 1 in 12 twist, so the 'short fats' will apparently stabilize in it... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's cool. I wonder how they'd hold up on a shoulder?
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Im thinking just fine...they were apparently developed for LE as there is something about bonded bullets that make them go in a straighter line through angled glass... and I shot some shoulders with the old 55gr TBBCs....worked good! grin
Posted By: 79inpa Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Judging by the pictures that I have seen I would expect them to hold up very well.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Judging by the pictures that I have seen I would expect them to hold up very well.
Posted By: doubletap Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Nice shooting. Pretty sophisticated, measuring oal in mm.
Posted By: Karnis Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Nice. I ordered some a couple of days ago. Going to try them in a Ruger 1-9 twist and an AR 1-7 twist. grin
Originally Posted by doubletap

Actually thats a holdover from a bygone era. Remember in the early 70's when they said we were gonna go metric? I believed it and was just starting to reload at the time....

Thanks for the report Ingwe.
Mine arrived Friday.
I will be trying them with H322.
It will probably be a couple of weeks, but I'll report as well.
GP(Grand Poobah NOT Grand Pa OK) the second group is just skookum.

What happened to the first group?
I bought several as blems last year. I ordered 5 boxes of the over-runs Friday. I've not shot the blems, but plan to try them soon. Good to know about stabilization in 12's.

I'm going to try some Benchmark soon. I've switched to TAC in 40's and 50's and have several pounds of Benchmark on the shelf. I'm using Varget with the 62TSX and 65 SGK.

I think they're stout enough for shoulders. I sectioned one a while back and it looked pretty beefy. I'd like to bust a deer with one this year "just because". We'll see...
Posted By: badger Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK...a couple of you were curious, and mind you I only tried two loads so far in one rifle. The other was with H335 and wasnt quite the right answer..

This is a 1 in 12 twist, so the 'short fats' will apparently stabilize in it... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Are the ones off to the side warning shots? laugh
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

That first group was damn near an inch, which is 1/2 moa at 200 yds....

I'll take it, even though I know it was human error that made it that 'big'.... grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
I was going to shoot my 6.5 at 200 yds but I was cooking this on the BGE. When I got done the wind had kicked up.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

by the way it is almost ready smile

That first group was damn near an inch, which is 1/2 moa at 200 yds....

I'll take it, even though I know it was human error that made it that 'big'.... grin
Good to know GP,admitting that you're normal like the rest of us peons. grin
Originally Posted by eh76
I was going to shoot my 6.5 at 200 yds but I was cooking this on the BGE. When I got done the wind had kicked up.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

by the way it is almost ready smile

I saw that on another thread Keith...I'm looking at leftovers for supper tonight....Bish....
There will be leftovers from this smile

Last Sunday ...1st group out of my 6.5...third shot (Low left) was me..not bad for a starting load

[Linked Image]
You missed the nickle. grin

Which 6.5 are you shooting eh76?

And what is the load you used to get that group?
That is the 6.5x47 Lapua I just put together with a friend...he is the machinist not I

[Linked Image]

that was at 100 yds as the other range was busy. it is a 140 gr VLD pushed by 36.0 gr of IMR 8028 giving me 2725 fps
That's a sweet rifle. cool
Posted By: Tanner Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Originally Posted by eh76
That is the 6.5x47 Lapua I just put together with a friend...he is the machinist not I

[Linked Image]

that was at 100 yds as the other range was busy. it is a 140 gr VLD pushed by 36.0 gr of IMR 8028 giving me 2725 fps
Good to see that one up and running.... sweet rig.

I could really like 36gr of powder moving the 140s.....
Still breaking it in, wish the rings were lower but they are low Talleys on a 20 MOA rail. Now to tweak the load and start shooting out to 1500 yds and build a calibrated turret cap. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man, that thing shoots almost as good as a .270. grin
I found the bullet I sectioned. Pretty stout..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: brinky72 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/05/13
Im thinking just fine...they were apparently developed for LE as there is something about bonded bullets that make them go in a straighter line through angled glass... and I shot some shoulders with the old 55gr TBBCs....worked good! grin

Yep, I have boxes upon boxes of Federal Premium .223 (SAAMI) laying around the house with those very same bullets in them. Work just fine on shoulders and such.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I found the bullet I sectioned. Pretty stout..

[Linked Image]
Looks like the old Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. That should work on deer and antelope.
They're not an X, but I don't see them coming apart easily -- especially at 223 velocities. They should be a good bullet for guys with slower twist rifles. The over runs were $23.75 per 100. Pretty affordable considering their competition....
The core is bonded to the jacket and you can push those as fast as possible and they will not come apart. Have you ever heard of Bitterroot Bonded Core,Trophy Bonded was a sort-a copy of those.
Yeah. I actually have a couple boxes of factory 22-250 Federal 55gr TBBC's left. They worked well...I just need a 22-250 again.
Sounds like a new/used .22-250 may be coming your way. wink
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/06/13
I gotta load up some of those 64s in the .22-250 and see how it likes them...
Was wondering the same thing,maybe I can talk the wife into letting me try them in her .22-250,you know,one load for deer,antelope and coyotes.
There you go....
Looks like they have more potential than the 60gr Partitions. Not sure why, but I could never get them to shoot well in any rifle I tried them in.
Easier said than done,BUT,it do make sense. Going to go and try and convince her that it's a good idea. smile
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Looks like they have more potential than the 60gr Partitions. Not sure why, but I could never get them to shoot well in any rifle I tried them in.

Just a thunk...but when they first came out JB ran a box on a Juenke concentricity comparator for me and separated them into three piles...good, better, and best. I loaded them all the same and shot them in a known entity, and thats exactly how they shot...maybe concentricity issues with the tiny dual cores?...your guess is as good as mine...
Will buy a box of the 64 gr Nosler and try them in her .22-250. smile
Now have to pay bills and then the bullets.
Will buy a box of the 64 gr Nosler and try them in her .22-250. smile
Now have to pay bills and then the bullets.

PM your address and I'll send you 50 of blems. I can't see anything wrong with them.....
PM sent smile
Posted By: doubletap Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/06/13

Actually thats a holdover from a bygone era. Remember in the early 70's when they said we were gonna go metric? I believed it and was just starting to reload at the time....

I remember that. However, I didn't believe them. Most people who went through the public education system can't multiply by 100, or even 10. I knew it wouldn't catch on.
Good shootin' Ingwe.

I look forward to someone putting these into a hog or two!
Posted By: pointer Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/06/13
Veddy nice! I may have to track some of these down to load in my 223AI for backup duty in WY for pronghorns this year. If I don't get on the ball about getting some 6.5 bullets bought/ordered, it may get pressed into the starting position...
Posted By: 79inpa Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/06/13
should be a pretty good race between a 64 grain nosler bonded and a 45 grain tsx.
I am finding, much to my dismay, that Im not getting the speed out of the light TSXs in some rifles. Very little bearing surface are equates to low pressures, which in turn equates to low velocities... They are worthing checking over a chrono...

Course Ive killed a pile-o-game with a 50 TTSX at at whopping 3200 fps....they didnt seem to notice the difference...
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/13/13
I am resurrecting this thread to let those who know or care that I found the ultimate, consummate load for the 64 gr. Nosler in the .223AI....
IMR 4985- 26.5 grains...shoots lights out at 3100fps...

Au revoir Bambi! laugh
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/13/13
Oh, and they also sowed real promise in my 1 in 14 .22-250...but my loads were to hot so I got off of them quickly...
Posted By: efw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/13/13
From the Nosler Reloading site by our own JD338:

Originally Posted by "JD338"
.224 cal 64 gr Bonded Solid Base
MV 3372 fps shot into water jugs at 30 yds, recovered in the 5th jug.
The recovered weight was 50.2 grs (72%) and expanded to .481".
[Linked Image]
JD338

Iirc he is going to be culling some deer w/ that load later this summer.

Seems to me to be PERFECT for the 223 Rem/AI & deer!
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/14/13
ingwe, thanks for posting the latest trials with this bullet. My first try was the 223 CFE load from the Nosler manual and wasn't too thrilled. I had not done anything with it since then.

It seems Kansas is going to trust us with any centerfire rifle cartridge as of the fall deer seasons. I had better get busy as this looks like a good bullet to work with.
I've yet to find nirvana either...

The best load so far in my 223 Montana is 24grs of Benchmark at .040" off. Velocity average is 2936. It's shooting about an inch at 100. To be fair, that's probably good enough. I'd like a tad more velocity and a little tighter group. After all, this is a 223!

TAC and Varget are next. Probably this weekend before I have much time.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/14/13
I've done a little informal testing with the 64gr Nosler here are my results.

Group fired at 100 yards from a 1-8" twist NULA .223 MV 3100fps

[Linked Image]

Here is a bullet I fired into milk jugs full of water at 10 yards MV 3100. The bullet was found in the forth jug where it ruptured but didn't enter the fifth jug.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/14/13
Thanks LBP...

For those guys still looking for a load, what was yours in that .223?

Accuracy mirrors my own, though I didnt shoot any at 100 yds.
As mentioned Ive settled on a load that shoots in both my .223AIs and will hunt with it this fall( and maybe next year when I go to Texas...)

My .22-250 showed promise with both IMR 4895 and IMR4350.
I really like the 64gr Nosler and I'm glad Nosler has decided to make it a regular production item. Now I wish my 22-250 would hurry up and get here.

This is the bullet making the trip to Wyoming this year for my annual antelope hunt, I'll post results when I get back... wink
Yep, Im likin' it too, just ordered another box...
Tom,

My load is as follows.

Vanilla .223 Rem
Remington Case
Rem 7 1/2 primer
25.5grs H-4895
2.290 OAL
MV 3098

This is my load so use at your own risk. That said it works great in my rifle with no pressure signs.
Yep, Im likin' it too, just ordered another box...

Lol, I just ordered a couple more myself... grin
Posted By: smokepole Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/14/13

LOL, did you ever sell the leisure suits?
For the time being, I shall forsake the Barnes TTSXs in my .223AIs.... shocked eek

Im thinkin' this Nosler will be a good thing...
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL, did you ever sell the leisure suits?

No...I kept them so Id have something to wear while shooting this rifle... grin

[Linked Image]

The impressed checkering is to die for! laugh

Besides, the 'contrast stitching' on the leisure suits go well with the white line spacers on this rifle's stock! wink
For the time being, I shall forsake the Barnes TTSXs in my .223AIs.... shocked eek

Im thinkin' this Nosler will be a good thing...

You know I like the TSX's (53 & 55 are all I've used) but I honestly think lead core bullets drop critters faster.
Originally Posted by LBP

You know I like the TSX's (53 & 55 are all I've used) but I honestly think lead core bullets drop critters faster.

The theory behind it makes perfect sense, but it has not been my experience. In fact, it is impossible for me to discern which puts them down faster, especially out of the little guns. I used a plain jane Hornady 55 grainer last year with spectacular results, but I still feel better with a bullet that I know will work if things arent exactly perfect...the bondeds, and the X bullets will do that...
I'll admit my experience with the TSX's is limited to two deer and a Mouflon Sheep and all were collected with a single shot but they seemed to run a little further and kick around a little more. Nothing got away however... grin
If my records are correct Ive shot 23 assorted deer/antelope with cnc bullets out of a cf .22 and 26 asorted with TSXs out of a cf .22... so I have a sample of 49... and I cant tell the difference! But I prefer the premium bullets...

Kinda like sticking a bright plastic worm on the end of every pike lure. I dont think the pike care about it much, but it makes me feel better. grin
No harm in a that.
Originally Posted by LBP
Tom,

My load is as follows.

Vanilla .223 Rem
Remington Case
Rem 7 1/2 primer
25.5grs H-4895
2.290 OAL
MV 3098

This is my load so use at your own risk. That said it works great in my rifle with no pressure signs.

I'm kissing at 2.153" in my rifle.....I don't consider my rifle to be throated inappropriately. All other bullets I've measured are in a normal range compared to the other 223's I've owned.

I started at .005" off and worked my way back. Accuracy suffered up close.

LBP -- If you don't mind me asking, for which bullet was your rifle throated?

Ingwe -- how far off are you loading them and how did yours measure compared to other bullets?
Posted By: smokepole Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/14/13
No...I kept them so Id have something to wear while shooting this rifle... grin

[Linked Image]

The impressed checkering is to die for! laugh

Besides, the 'contrast stitching' on the leisure suits go well with the white line spacers on this rifle's stock! wink

Let me guess, you don't normally drink beer, but when you do, it's Dos Equis.....
I didnt measure how far off....but in one rifle they have a 'jump' of about 3mm...almost kissing in the other. When I seated them out to avoid the jump they didnt feed worth a krap, so I seated them all at 55.7mm and both rifles digested them just fine.
FWIW the one thats kissing is a pretty normal chamber, the other one is obviously long....

I dont get too wrapped up about the seating in an AI without mag mods...you seat them so they fit in the magazine, and hope for the best wink
Posted By: doubletap Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/14/13

[Linked Image]

Nice group. Where's the dime?
No fliers this time...didnt need the dime.... whistle
Understood.

I had to convert the MM thing.

I really like the bullet and have 1000 more on the way. I'm a TSX/TTSX fan too, but this bullets peaks my interest. Not even going down this road -- I'm intrigued with the frontal diameter. I'm guessing the bullet will perform beyond 223 standards.....and those standards are pretty high in my book.
Originally Posted by LBP
Tom,

My load is as follows.

Vanilla .223 Rem
Remington Case
Rem 7 1/2 primer
25.5grs H-4895
2.290 OAL
MV 3098

I'm kissing at 2.153" in my rifle.....I don't consider my rifle to be throated inappropriately. All other bullets I've measured are in a normal range compared to the other 223's I've owned.

I started at .005" off and worked my way back. Accuracy suffered up close.

LBP -- If you don't mind me asking, for which bullet was your rifle throated?

Ingwe -- how far off are you loading them and how did yours measure compared to other bullets?

This rifle is my new NULA, Melvin cuts a longer but tight throat.
It wasn't cut for any particular bullet that said 2.290 is .005 off the lands.
I'd love a NULA in 223! I'm betting its going to shoot any bullet you want into little groups. Details on the NULA (weight, scope, barrel contour, etc.)?
blush I'm embaressed,shot the H-414 load this morning and this is what it did.
[Linked Image] .998-.224=.774 @ 100 yds and an average velocity of 3467.

And I took the photo with my cell.

Shot Var-Get and it was slower and not near has good in the accuracy.
Good bluritude....
Don't be embarrassed -- here's a pic from yesterday's outing with the 64BSB. The squares are 1". I'd like em a little tighter and to the right!

[Linked Image]
The embarrassed part is I thought that H-414 was not any good and I dis-missed it. Looking at your group does make me feel a little better. whistle

Thanks Ingwe,my bluritude is blooming.

I shall relish the awesomeness of your bluritude... grin

I shall relish the awesomeness of your bluritude... grin
blush
How do these compare to the Sierra 65 grain game kings?
The 64 gr Nosler is a bonded core bullet,while the 65 gr Sierra is not.
I'd love a NULA in 223! I'm betting its going to shoot any bullet you want into little groups. Details on the NULA (weight, scope, barrel contour, etc.)?

It weighs 5.9 lbs, #1 Douglas cut at 22", Leupold VX-3 2.5x8.
It shoots just about everything into 1/2". So far I've tried the 63gr Sierra SMP, 64gr Nosler Bonded and 75gr Scirocco. I got it the last week of October 2012 and didn't have any time to really play with it but I took a couple deer with it.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/15/13
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18868
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/15/13
I bought a box of these to test in my Rem 700 5R 20" barrel. I will report. Sounds like a great Texas whitetail bullet within reasonable range.

Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/15/13
Just shot a bunch more today in my other .223AI..it likes them as well...same load, both rifles! grin
Lucky! grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/16/13
No luck involved.All skill..... whistle
I wouldn't mind more bullets in different calibers. BC wouldn't be at the top of the scale, but I'm betting they'd all be a heck of a hunting bullet!
Externally they look like a Swift A-frame....not noted for BC...but an excellent hunting bullet nonetheless....
And yeah, you are right about the BC not be9ing a big deal, especially in a .22....I personally am not comfortable with shots on big game much past 300 yds with a cf .22

The 64 grainer has enough BC to make those shots...( and 99% of my deer and antelope have been within 300 yds..)
I'd love to see a 6mm version. Honestly, most of my shots are within 150 yards.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/16/13
[Linked Image]

good thing you guys got them bolt guns, the cheap black guns don't shoot.
No Schitt! You have " sprayed bullets indiscriminately" as the press would say.... wink
Posted By: rem338win Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/16/13
It makes a fella sad to have no freedom to access said bullets any way, any how. Your Homeland Insecurity would hog-tie and hang my butt like I'd been caught with the Sheriff's daughter if they caught me with them trying to come home.
So I had to settle for theses little copper pills in the 22-250AI. I sure hope that the bust the crap out of a blackie b'ars shoulders for my little girl.
[Linked Image]
Ingwe, you mentioned problems with the 45gr TSX's not getting up and going? I've 40.5gr stuffed behind those little buggers, so they better break 4000.....
No luck involved.All skill..... whistle
Gotcha,your wife shot those groups. laugh grin
Originally Posted by rem338win

[Linked Image]
Ingwe, you mentioned problems with the 45gr TSX's not getting up and going? I've 40.5gr stuffed behind those little buggers, so they better break 4000.....

I thought hollow points were illegal up there eh?

Have you clocked those 45s? Id be anxious to know if they are steaming.

Im coming up to Alberta next month, maybe I could smuggle some 64 gr. Noslers .... whistle
Posted By: rem338win Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/16/13
You meant travel with your lead and copper supplements right? cool

They averaged 4125fps over the chrony into 1" for 5 shots. It is likely to try and dump its first black bear this Monday. But I really want to try the 200gr TSXs out of the .350...oh the dilemma.

The platform is a precious thing that I believe would love some 64's. It is a gift from a very sick friend, Monashee on the 'fire (he can use prayers and encouraging messages right now folks).
[Linked Image]
If I happened upon some 64's I would be happy to see what they would do out of a 22-250AI and post the results.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/16/13
Damn I hate to read that, hope he will be ok.
Yeah, me too. Hoping the best for him...

Had enough bad news lately...
Good news.

SPS just added more of the 64 BSB over-runs...
DANG! I just ordered some from midway...for more!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/17/13
Hoarder!
Nah he's going to smuggle them into Canada and with the money he will have a "kegger" for everyone on the GTE. smile
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/18/13
Thanks for the info and the heads up. I've got some on the way also.
I ordered some as well. Wont get to loading them for awhile for my .223 unless I re prioritize my reloading projects. Heck all of my projects for that matter...
Found my load....

I tried H335, H4895, TAC, Benchmark, RL15, CFE223 and Varget. Varget won. Interestingly enough, RL15 (25.8) was the velocity winner at 3100ish. Accuracy with 15 wasn't as good as the Varget load (1 1/4 - 1 1/2).

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/26/13
pure .223 shortactionsmoker?
Buzzsaw,

Vanilla 223 -- Tikka T3 Lite SS 10" twist (Chinese pliers)

The group above was my first with that load. The second group...

[Linked Image]

And the third group on a VERY WARM barrel...

[Linked Image]

Also to answer you question on another thread -- I've experimented with seating depth with every powder. The bullets kiss at 2.173" in my chamber. I'm shooting these at 2.153". The cannelure is slightly below the case mouth. I've tried them touching to as far off as the ogive allows and found this to be the best depth in my rifle.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/26/13
PERFECT all is good THANK YOU Shortactionsmoker. That's an accurate Tikka!!

Enjoy the holiday God Bless USA
Posted By: DanAdair Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/26/13
I just wish there was a thread where a guy could learn about all things 223AI related frown
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/27/13
Looks good.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/27/13
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I just wish there was a thread where a guy could learn about all things 223AI related frown

I can help you with that Ace, just PM me.... wink
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 05/27/13
interesting thread. You CAN actually find the things for sale, too, around here. Unlike a lot of other .224 bullets.

I might have to try them & see if they'll run in the .22-250 #1. Maybe the purty thing'll kill a deer this year.
Something to consider with the 64BSB:

I've measured OAL in 5 different 223's. The longest measurement to the lands I've seen is 2.22". Most are between 2.15" and 2.19". This puts the cannelure below the case mouth. No big deal, because there is still a smidgen left before the ogive goes under.

It would be interesting to see where Nosler is loading factory ammo. If they're crimping in the cannelure, I'm betting the factory ammo is jammed in most rifles. I'm thinking they screwed the pooch on the cannelure location?

Just food for thought.....Is anybody else noticing the same results when measuring? I do like the bullet and it appears to shoot well.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/25/13
Ruger African 2.169 against the lands.
Posted By: avagadro Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/25/13
Happy B-day Poobs .... for one day only ... long live the 7 mouser smile
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/25/13
Originally Posted by avagadro
Happy B-day Poobs .... for one day only ... long live the 7 mouser smile

Double down for a happy birthday for the Grand Poobah! Long live the turds!!!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/25/13
edit
Found my load....

I tried H335, H4895, TAC, Benchmark, RL15, CFE223 and Varget. Varget won. Interestingly enough, RL15 (25.8) was the velocity winner at 3100ish. Accuracy with 15 wasn't as good as the Varget load (1 1/4 - 1 1/2).

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting. Encouraged that the Varget worked out with your recipe. I hope to have the same good fortune with a Remington 700 using a similar combo.

Posted By: baltz526 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/28/13

I've measured OAL in 5 different 223's. The longest measurement to the lands I've seen is 2.22". Most are between 2.15" and 2.19". This puts the cannelure below the case mouth. No big deal, because there is still a smidgen left before the ogive goes under.

It would be interesting to see where Nosler is loading factory ammo. If they're crimping in the cannelure, I'm betting the factory ammo is jammed in most rifles. I'm thinking they screwed the pooch on the cannelure location?

Just food for thought.....Is anybody else noticing the same results when measuring? I do like the bullet and it appears to shoot well.
Nosler designed these bullets for AR type chambers. Like the current US military special forces AR. If you find they are not fitting your chamber, This is the reason. They where not put into production for hunting rifles, Even though them fit that roll very well.
Good insight of the design perspective.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/29/13
The AR chamber is usually shorter in OAL than standard 223, is it not?
Posted By: safariman Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/29/13
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The AR chamber is usually shorter in OAL than standard 223, is it not?

The throats are normally a little longer on the latest itinerations so as to be able to digest the heavier and thusly longer bullets that the faster twist rates we now see were designed and adapted for.
Don't know about AR's, but I've measured in Kimber, Tikka, Remington and Ruger. If factory ammo is crimped in the cannelure, things will be interesting. There's a good chance the bullet will be jammed in the lands....referring to bolt guns.

I don't buy factory and honestly don't know if its being produced with this bullet.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 06/29/13
Will COAL 2.25 jam into the lands in these bolt rifles.

The AR 5.56 chamber is about the same the throat is a little longer, you can put a grain or two more powder in a 5.56 than a 223.
2.25 would be jammed in every rifle I measured. That doesn't mean it would be jammed in yours. Only way to know is measure.

I had a Savage 16FSS once that would be OK at the cannelure. The throat was excessive to say the least....

I'm not degrading this bullet. I think it will make a heck of a deer slayer and it shoots accurately too. I like it enough that I've already developed a pretty good supply!
Posted By: x2mosg Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/02/13
Has anyone actually taken an animal with these bullets yet? I have a friend who is taking his young son on a hog hunt and wants to use his AR because he can easily shorten the stock up and low recoil for his boy. I was going to order some TSX's for him, then I remembered this thread.

Thinking this would make a nice bullet for my AR and my 22-250 as will. Although the 70gr. TSX is proven in the 22-250 and I have 100 rounds in supply already.

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Posted By: hardway Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/02/13
Originally Posted by LBP
I really like the 64gr Nosler and I'm glad Nosler has decided to make it a regular production item. Now I wish my 22-250 would hurry up and get here.

This is the bullet making the trip to Wyoming this year for my annual antelope hunt, I'll post results when I get back... wink

If memory serves.....22 cal is no bueno in WY on big game.
Originally Posted by hardway
Originally Posted by LBP

If memory serves.....22 cal is no bueno in WY on big game.

The regs changed.

Cartridge and Archery Equipment Regulations Liberalized for Big Game, Trophy Game and Turkey
1/28/2013

CHEYENNE - Regulations recently enacted by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission add additional calibers that can be used for big game, trophy game, and wild turkey hunting. The new regulation adds some calibers and ammunition that previously were not legal to hunt these species and simplifies language for other regulations.

For big game hunters the following firearms and ammunition may be used:

� For the taking of moose, bighorn sheep, elk, mountain goat, and black bear, hunters shall use any centerfire firearm of at least .24 caliber and with a cartridge at least two inches long.

� For deer, antelope, mountain lion, and gray wolf, the major change is the addition of .22 centerfire cartridges as legal ammunition. For the taking of deer, antelope, mountain lions, and gray wolves in areas where they are designated as trophy game, hunters can use any centerfire firearm of at least .22 caliber, using a cartridge at least two inches long and firing a bullet of at least 60 grains.

P
Buzzsaw,

Vanilla 223 -- Tikka T3 Lite SS 10" twist (Chinese pliers)

The group above was my first with that load. The second group...

[Linked Image]

And the third group on a VERY WARM barrel...

[Linked Image]

Also to answer you question on another thread -- I've experimented with seating depth with every powder. The bullets kiss at 2.173" in my chamber. I'm shooting these at 2.153". The cannelure is slightly below the case mouth. I've tried them touching to as far off as the ogive allows and found this to be the best depth in my rifle.

Tag
You'll be needing that info<grin>
You'll be needing that info<grin>

Reading my mind!

Btw, my brother is pissed. Just the way I like it.

P
Posted By: 918v Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/07/13

In the rifles you measured, what is the jam length relative to other known bullets?
They all appear to be normal. For reference: in my current Montana the 64BSB is 2.153", the 62TSX is 2.292" and the 65SGK is 2.259.
Posted By: 918v Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/07/13
My Dakota .223 jams a 69SMK at 2.270", so I'm thinking the Nosler will prolly jam at 2.153" like yours. I ordered a bunch. We'll see.
Busted a groundhog this morning with the 64. 150 yards from the Montana. Expansion wasn't much, but then again I didn't expect much through the belly of groundhog. I shot a skunk a couple of weeks ago and the exit was identical. Might be a good bullet for fur too...pretty tough pill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I gotta load up some of those 64s in the .22-250 and see how it likes them...

Please share some info on this brutha. I'd love to be able to run this pill in my new to me "C" prefix Rem 700 BDL 22-250. I'm hoping it will be a tack driver, or at least shoot as good as my Win model 70's wink. At the moment I'm thinking IMR4350, what say you poobah??
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/14/13
OK...I tried some...kinda top-o-the charts loads whistle

Instantly showed pressure signs ( due to increased bearing surface Im sure) So I got to go back and start at the bottom of the charts....
Short action: Thats kinda what I would expect out of this bullet....should hold together really well....
Posted By: mathman Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/14/13
I've got a little short action Sako 22-250 sitting around. Maybe it needs to come out for deer season.
Mathman, hows that one twisted? I'd like to hear how the 1 in 14's are stabilizing this particular bullet. I'm intrigued..
Posted By: mathman Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/14/13
I don't know. It's a rifle my father had and IIRC it did pretty well with 60 gr. flat base Hornadys.

I'll be keeping my eyes open and let someone else do the research before I drop coin on the bullets.
Tight butt! PM your address and I'll send you some seconds....free.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Mathman, hows that one twisted? I'd like to hear how the 1 in 14's are stabilizing this particular bullet. I'm intrigued..

I tried a few-as mentioned- in a .22-250 with a 1 in 14 twist....no problemo...
Posted By: HawkI Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/14/13
I'll bet the 222 Magnum will make them puff varmints AND double shoulder a 250 pound porker.......

But it already did with another bullet. Have several hundred 62 TSX's; can't fathom Nosler doing anything better, other than the ability to recover bullets....
If you have the 62 TSX perking, no need to try anything else....
grin..That's kind of where I'm at right now too. I've seen them at shooters proshop a few times and was tempted, just didn't know how they'd perform in my new toy..Looks like ingwe says they stabilize with no problem, so I'll probably get some the next time I see them at SPS..
Posted By: HawkI Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/14/13

Weren't no issue to make them perk.

But I am a bit biased, being I've seen little in the Nozzy .224 "60 something" grain bullets not bested by other makers.
They always perform on the structural/performance level, but accuracy always seems to be an afterthought.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/15/13
I got my goat tags is the mail yesterday, now all I have to do is wait for October. I'm taking a 223 and a 22-250 loaded with the 64's. I will report as soon as I get back. wink

I'm really liking the 64's...
Originally Posted by HawkI

Weren't no issue to make them perk.

But I am a bit biased, being I've seen little in the Nozzy .224 "60 something" grain bullets not bested by other makers.
They always perform on the structural/performance level, but accuracy always seems to be an afterthought.

I agree with that comment concerning the 60gr Partition, but I've found the 64BSB's to shoot bug holes in both rifles I've tried....and one of those is a Kimber!

The 64's are pretty tough bullets. I sectioned some earlier and posted pics in this thread. I'm a BIG fan of the 62TSX, but I don't see them doing anything more than the 64's will do.

I'll know more in a few months...
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/15/13
No trouble here getting the 64s to shoot. The 60 gr. Partition on the other hand......

Well lets just say youve never seen a post of me using them...
I've had good results with the little Partition but the 64's are cheaper and available...
Originally Posted by LBP
I've had good results with the little Partition but the 64's are cheaper and available...

Lester, do you know any 20-30 that are available laugh whistle
PM your address and I'll send you some too...
You know my friend I just might have a few, PM me an address.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 07/15/13
Originally Posted by LBP

I shouldnt poo-poo the Nosler 60 gr. Partition...I could gtet them routinely into an inch at 100 yds....but TSXs and TBBCs and The new 64 grainers will all do better...

(I know...I know...one inchers will kill stuff...I dont get anal very often so allow me this....)
Originally Posted by LBP

I shouldnt poo-poo the Nosler 60 gr. Partition...I could gtet them routinely into an inch at 100 yds....but TSXs and TBBCs and The new 64 grainers will all do better...

(I know...I know...one inchers will kill stuff... I dont get anal very often so allow me this....)

Uugh whats this about bullets err, nevermind I don't want to know... laugh
SPS had a few of these last I looked.

P
Posted By: Old Coach Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/17/13
The 64s are in stock at Shooter Pro Shop.
Good hog bullet from an AR with a 7 twist or a 223 AI bolt.
Going to try in a 22-250 next week.

Coach
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/18/13
These might be good for a neck shot at whitetails. Shot some today but photobucket is messed up, will post tomorrow

Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/18/13
Here's my first test with the 64 bonded, info is on the target. I like this bullet, not through testing for Texas Whitetail yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/18/13
Go shoot some pigs with it. That'll give us an idea on how it'll work on deer. Im hoping to use a couple of them in Tejas myself next year.....
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/18/13
Food for thought...slower powders meant more for overbore mags have proven to be accurate in my "overbore" .22-250 and heavier bullets. The 64 grain .224 isn't really "heavy" but is heavier than standard 55 grainers.

There isn't load data out there (that I know of, but maybe "Pet Loads" may have some???) for things like Retumbo. I think Hodgdon has 1 load for H1000 and the .22-250, so a guy would have to real careful. I won't post my data for obvious reasons, but I was pleasantly surprised by some of the velocities and accuracy I got with both the 63 Sierra and the 77 Sierra. Some of it was terrible accuracy wise, but other loads were great.

Just something to think about...
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/18/13
And I have had good luck in a .22-250 with H4831....not good speed, but good accuracy...enough speed to do the job well though....
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/18/13
H4831 is versatile...I use it in my .340 Wby, .25-06, 270 Win and believe it or not...30-40 Krag. It too produced good results in my .22-250.

I don't think it is as versatile as IMR4895 (I use that for several rounds between .17 Rem and .375 H&H) but they both sure have been good powders for me.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/19/13
IMR 4895 is my pick too...for most all things between .223 and .375...
Posted By: RTSJ Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/19/13
How does it work in a 1 in 14 twist?

Roy
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/19/13
I highly doubt the 64 Nosler will stabilize in a 1/14, but one never knows. I suspect something really short...maybe even a bullet designed for the .22 hornet is what you need with a 1/14. The 53 TSX might be OK...don't really know.

You just never know till you try.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/19/13
Originally Posted by RTSJ
How does it work in a 1 in 14 twist?

Roy

Its a short fat bullet like the 63 SMP and stabilizes just fine in the 1 in 14...at least it does in my two.... grin
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 08/19/13
Just looked it up and didn't realize the 64 Nosler is only 0.800" in length.

The 53 TSX is .796" and the 55 TSX FB is .797", which have shot fine for me in a 1/14.

Ya, it (the 64) very well could stabilize just fine in a 1/14. Shows ya what I know.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/23/13
Yep they work.

.223 Rem, 64 gr Nosler, 3060 fps, 150 yards.

[Linked Image]

.22-250 Rem, 64 gr Nosler, 3400 fps, 251 yards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/23/13
Good deal LBP!

You might be the first on the fire to use that bullet on game.

I hope to sink a couple into meat in a few weeks....
LBP,

1st of all Congrats on the 'lopes. Did you get exits?

My 22-250 14tw shoots the 70g Speer HCs and 60g NPTs well, so I've been thinking about this little pill as well.

Thanks,

loder
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/24/13
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
LBP,

1st of all Congrats on the 'lopes. Did you get exits?

My 22-250 14tw shoots the 70g Speer HCs and 60g NPTs well, so I've been thinking about this little pill as well.

Thanks,

loder

Yes Sir, both bullets exited. Not much bloodshot meat on the ribs but complete devastation in the chest cavity. I really like this bullet on game. It's accurate on paper too.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/24/13
I forgot to add Ingwe tried them in a 14" twist 22-250 and they grouped well.
Thanks!
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/25/13
Yes Sir
Posted By: yukonal Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/26/13
Thanks for all the good info, guys. And LBP, thanks for posting your info/pics. Looks like some experimenting with a new bullet for (3) 8 twist .223 Tikka's is in order this winter. grin

65 GameKing has worked well for me, but I sure like the looks of this bullet for deer/hogs.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/26/13
I sighted my 5R .223 today, cold bore shot hit center POA. Will test on Texas Whitetail and Axis next weekend. This guns a tack driver so if it's not too far I will try to hit where hear meets neck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/27/13
that'll fit jeff-o and ingwe, too.....
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/27/13
He could get that scope farther back if he really wanted to....
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/27/13
I gotta short neck
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/27/13
Anxious to hear how the bullet does on Axis...cause Im gonna fling one at them in May! grin
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/27/13
IMR 4895 is my pick too...for most all things between .223 and .375...

^ ^ ^ YES ^ ^ ^
Posted By: Fotis Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/27/13
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Just fine. We tested them
Posted By: Fotis Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/27/13
BTW http://www.shootersproshop.com/shoo...e-please-limit-5-boxes-per-customer.html
Posted By: devnull Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/28/13
My daughter used them on whitetail this weekend and lungs shots caused runners with very little blood. One was lost and the other was found. If using these on whitetail, I'd recommend shoulder shots as they will go through-through.

Forgot to mention, this was out of a .223 stoking it with 25 gr. Varget.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 10/28/13
Figured as much...good to know. Shoulders result in DRT with most anything.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/19/13
I put this bullet to the test again this morning, this time on a whitetail. I took a hugh bodied by Central Texas standards 162 lbs 8-point at the short range of 35 yards. The bullet was fired from my NULA 22-250 at a MV of 3400 fps. The bullet broke the onside shoulder on its way in, it then took out a rib, the lungs, and another rib on the offside. The bullet was revovered under the skin on the offside.

The bullet weighed 30.7 grs which is 48% weight retention. The recovered diameter was .373. I'm pleased with these results considering the short range, bone encountered and the size of the deer.

The deer made it about 25 yards before he collapsed the only thing I wish was different was there was no blood trail, not a drop. The bullet still impressed me all things considered.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/pronghornboy/DSC02902_zpsd22a5367.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/pronghornboy/DSC02903_zps01b83d9e.jpg[/img]

Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/19/13
very intellesting, LBP. Thanks for sharing.
also ... nice deer!
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I gotta short neck

buzzsaw, you gotta be careful throwin up pics of how you've got yer scope mounted on here grin. either that or you gotta have thick skin, like ingwe. although lets be fair, ingwe mounts em all the way back into his eye socket
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/19/13
There is NOTHING wrong with the way he mounts his scope!

Nice report LBP�about as expected, I killed a little mule buck with the bullet the other day. 100yds, 3150 fps, recovered it weighed 60 grains�.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The range and speed obviously made the difference either way I'm really liking this bullet.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
also ... nice deer!

Thanks
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/20/13
Great hill country deer, looks allot like my place in Comfort
Posted By: waterbug Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/20/13
Nice buck!
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/20/13
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Great hill country deer, looks alot like my place in Comfort

Near Gatesville.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/20/13
great buck and a great rifle too LBP!! what scope are you using on that 250?
An older Leupold Compant 3-9x33. I bought it new in 2003.

Nice report LBP�about as expected, I killed a little mule buck with the bullet the other day. 100yds, 3150 fps, recovered it weighed 60 grains�.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How 'bout some details? Shot distance, placement, how far he went, that sort of thing. I bought 1K of these and SAS's 1-10 twist Tikka. He included his load data, too. Looks like a shooter.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How 'bout some details? Shot distance, placement, how far he went, that sort of thing. I bought 1K of these and SAS's 1-10 twist Tikka. He included his load data, too. Looks like a shooter.

P

I also run these Noslers in a 1-8 twist 22" regular 223. I use 25.5 gr of H-4895 in Lake City brass with a Rem 7 1/2 primer. MV is 3060. I'm sitting in my blind right now and if this spike in the brush in front of me steps out I'll let you know how they work from the 223 on deer...
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/20/13

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P

See the " Official 64 Gr Nosler report" thread on this forum for details. grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/21/13
I gotta give them a try, I'm tired of not having recovered TSX's to take pictures of...
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/21/13
I would be concerned if I were recovering bullets from 60 lb animals. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P

See the " Official 64 Gr Nosler report" thread on this forum for details. grin

Saw that you shot him twice, must have missed the part about shot or travel after shot distance.
Thinking about using the .223 on alfalfa field deer.

P
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/21/13
First shot he acted like he was hit too far back, and was contemplating going down the far side of a hill, second shot was anchor. He only went about 10 yds between shots...
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/21/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I gotta give them a try, I'm tired of not having recovered TSX's to take pictures of...

Scott, I have a picture of the one and only TSX I have used. It was a 53 gr, I shot a whitetail doe in the chest as she faced me at approximately 60 yards. I recovered the bullet in the layer of fat under her skin above her teats. It was fired from a regular 223 at a MV of 3200 fps. The recovered weight was 33.0 gr and all the petals were missing. Actually, I forgot I shot this same doe a second time with the same load as she got up but couldn't really go anywhere as I approached her. The second bullet was broadside and exited.

My oldest son has used two 55 gr TSX and both exited on broadside shots.

I have nothing against the TSX's but in my very limited experience with three animals I think the lead core and bonded bullets seem to kill a little quicker, meaning they don't flop around as much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/21/13
that is a nice deer. I ran into the same problem with the .22 caliber 75 grain swift S2 which is supposed to be a bonded bullet. From a 15 foot high tree stand on a small 7 pt. 130 or so pound buck at maybe 30 yards which was not worth a picture it was quartering towards me so the bullet went thru the right high shoulder, angled down to trash lungs, no exit and no blood trail, deer ran about 50 yards. Found him because I listened to him leaving and followed his trail. I am back to the 62 grain TSX myself. They are not anymore lethal but they exit on a shoulder shot. The swift bullet also failed to exit on a small 170 pound sow I shot last year with a shoulder shot all animals recovered so the bullet works it just does not exit. The pig dropped at the shot however.

I think its important to distinguish in a bullet report if you say its a pass thru if you shot the shoulder or behind it.
Heres a brillant idea... You guys who want exits and blood trails, use slightly bigger guns. Its really that hard hard. When you use the 'minimum' tool for the job, you're not going to get perfect results! Use a 243, 25-06, or the 'gay' 270 and watch the deer drop, or run off with two holes and dumping blood. Problem solved!
Never had a problem getting two holes out of a 53gr TSX or 62gr TTSX.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/22/13
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Never had a problem getting two holes out of a 53gr TSX or 62gr TTSX.

See my above post about the 53 gr TSX.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/22/13
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Heres a brillant idea... You guys who want exits and blood trails, use slightly bigger guns. Its really that hard hard. When you use the 'minimum' tool for the job, you're not going to get perfect results! Use a 243, 25-06, or the 'gay' 270 and watch the deer drop, or run off with two holes and dumping blood. Problem solved!

I've only pulled one 22 caliber bullet from a deer (64gr PP). I've never had a deer stop a 22 caliber Barnes or Swift.

I've had deer on average go much further when shot with a 30/06 or 35 Whelen than I have with a 223AI. In fact, I've not had a deer go further than 5 yards when shot with a 223AI.

So your guess is purely a guess.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/22/13

yes, but then overpenetration becomes an issue.
yes, but then overpenetration becomes an issue.

What's that?

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/23/13
Jesus wept...........
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/23/13
Anybody have some load data for this bullet in a 22-250? my powder selection is limited right now to imr4064, h380, and a little varget so i hope i can get results with one of these, I was gonna start with sierra 63gr data but any info would help. thanks
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by Dude270
Anybody have some load data for this bullet in a 22-250? my powder selection is limited right now to imr4064, h380, and a little varget so i hope i can get results with one of these, I was gonna start with sierra 63gr data but any info would help. thanks

I use 34.5 gr of H4895 or 39 gr of H4350. Sorry I don't have any for yours powders. I started with the 63 gr Sierra starting loads and worked up like you mentioned. Good Luck.

.....but I'm affraid to use my "gay 270". Will it azz shoot everything??? whistle

You know I also have a .308 150 ballistic tip a 100 pound whitetail doe stopped, and a 120 gr Cor-Lokt from a 25-06 another doe stopped. A bigger gun don't make the difference, shot placement does.

I've only pulled one 22 caliber bullet from a deer (64gr PP). I've never had a deer stop a 22 caliber Barnes or Swift.

I've had deer on average go much further when shot with a 30/06 or 35 Whelen than I have with a 223AI. In fact, I've not had a deer go further than 5 yards when shot with a 223AI.

There's no love around here anymore for the 64 gr PP I used to see people using it all of the time.

Mike
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

There's no love around here anymore for the 64 gr PP I used to see people using it all of the time.

Mike

My boys have used two 64 gr PP's this year, one each on whitetail does. Its still a fine bullet. Forgot my hunting partner used one on a pronghorn doe last month up in Wyoming.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/24/13
Im gonna go fill another doe tag ( hopefully) with Scenarshooters old favorite�.a 55 grain Hornady.
My oldest not took his first pronghorn with a... wait for it...

63 gr Sierra, boy I like that little bullet.
Dober always liked the short fat too�.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Jesus wept...........

i hope yall are sensing the sarcasm of my internets posting
Sarcasm? Here on the 'fire??????

I'm shocked...
You guys have seen my post on the ABC thread, I like short fat ones... grin

They need love too...
So, have you tried the 65 gr. Gameking?
My oldest boy used the 65 gr Gameking on a whitetail doe last year. She was quartering toward him at about 40 yards he shot her on the near shoulder and the bullet exited the off side ribs. The doe went right down DRT. The rifle was a Stevens 200 in .223, MV was 3050 fps.
Good to know�.

I think Im going through a ;'phase'�.just stocked up on the tried and true 55gr TTSX�..
I wonder how my 1-8" twist 22-250 would like that 70 gr TSX? Only one way to find out I guess.
Do you use the 55 gr TTSX IN A 1-12"?
I dunno yet�Im gonna try them�.but Ive got a 1 in 8 coming, Im sure it'll make them perk...
A 1-8"... shocked
I'm a whore�what can I say..?

And theres so many good bullets out there today I feel like the fox who has been given the key to the hen house�.
ive got some of the 65 g GK's to piddle around with too. cost is about half of the noslers
When you've piddled with them, report back!

I'll bet the MoFos shoot!
That's true there are a lot of great .224 bullets now days.

Dawg, I think you will like the 65 gr Gameking.
Will do. The only problem with all my bullet testing is I'm running out of freezer space...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/24/13
Jesus wept...........

You just fell into the sarchasm. Congrats!
Jesus wept...........

You just fell into the sarchasm. Congrats!

i dont even know whats real anymore
Me neither, Ive gone through the looking glass into a wonderland of good .22 bullets and tight twists. I don't know how to act anymore...
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/24/13
Where is Dober? This seems like a thread built for him
He quit partaking a while ago.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/24/13
I do wish Dober would come back on this winter.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I do wish Dober would come back on this winter.

Me too. Been wondering how he did hunting this year.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/27/13
how do you guys that have used the noslers feel they stack up against the old 63 gr sierra smp. that has been my go to for 223 and 22-250 for years but I recently got a bunch of the noslers, just havn't played with them yet
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/27/13
I love the Sierra, and like the Nosler too.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/28/13
I took a wild turkey tonight using the 64 gr Nosler. I used my NULA .223 firing the Nosler at a MV of 3060 fps. I shot the bird through the wing joint at 75 yards.

I know it wasn't much of a bullet test but the bird went right down no flopping at all.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/28/13
From my performance sample of two, Im thinking it'll make a good pig bullet.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 11/29/13
Tom, I'm betting your right. I'm really liking this bullet. So far four bullets and four critters, two each for my 223 and 22-250.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 gr. Nosler test fire - 12/08/13
The fifth victim fell to the Nosler tonight.

Nosler Strikes Again
© 24hourcampfire