Home
Inspired by Phil's "Ol Ugly", I'd like to see some real working rifles. I've only been hunting for half a decade and quite frankly, am probably more of a want-to-be. I live in Texas and like most here, walk to the stand, sit in the stand, pull the trigger and put the gun back in the soft case. I'm fascinated by guys like Phil who live (or make their living) really using their rifles. So humor an 'ol Texas boy who just wants to grow up and be Phil Shoemaker! smile
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Tanner
[Linked Image]

THAT'S what I'm talking about! Do tell, do tell. What is it?
I think it's a Model 70. whistle
My Grandpa's Mauser...a 9X57. He drug it on all his adventures for 35 yrs. It kinds speaks volumes just looking at it.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful rig right there!
Originally Posted by Karnis
I think it's a Model 70. whistle

that was my guess
For shooting uphill.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 257heaven

[Linked Image]

I have FELT like doing THAT to 1 rifle, it came from Utah.
For shooting uphill.

[Linked Image]

Did that thing fall out of a truck?
Originally Posted by TexasChase
For shooting uphill.

[Linked Image]

Did that thing fall out of a truck?

I think it was run over by the truck.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My grandfathers .270. Three generations have hunted it and still in use. Has a peep site he made and the "checkering" was done by hand with a wood burning pen. Symbols are various ranch brands and initials of family and friends. Has allot of hard use stock and bluing wear but has been well kept other than that.
With the exception of the bent barrel, I don't see anything ugly about these rifles
[Linked Image]

They didn't say who had the ugliest toes for crying out loud sick. However, that 3 hunnert is a thing of beauty. Tanner, If its getting too ugly for you to use please send it my way. I'd use the hell outa that one..That's an ark filling sombeesh grin cool
Many people thing the Ruger 'boat paddle' rifles are ugly, but I like them...

2010, .30-06 stainless:
[Linked Image]

2011, .338 WM semi-custom:
[Linked Image]

2012, .300WM:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ugly enough?
Plain .223 Sucks Action, Hart 1 in 10 barrel ( its third...) H-S Precision Stock ( its second...) Hi round count laugh

[Linked Image]
C H -

I don't and never thot those are/were ugly. I like those and the rest they're leanin on!

Congrats.

Ruger M 77 tang safety .240 Wby. grin
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

What happened to the velour bedspread?

That rifle is seriously ugly, though. Wantin' a 240 Bee myself.
Been dragging this one around for about 5 years now.

Its killed a Coues deer every year, and been to Africa as well. My go to rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Can't call it ugly but this Walther Sporter 7x57 I picked whilst living in Alberta has seen a lot of use it appears, even having excess headspace but is still very accurate (160 gr AB) and does the job. Last summer being its most recent journey. Of course it is no longer mine and my youngest has claimed it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
416 Rigby that has spent many days in Africa and Alaska, but no trips other than the TN boar hunt and a little bit of Black Bear hunting last fall since Karnis re did the stock

[Linked Image]

And my MUCH travelled 340 Tyrannosaur (338/8mm RemMag) that I have had since 1973. Shot my first deer with it as a 30/06 plus about 30 more, then as a 300 WBY quite a bit of game. As a 340 it has been to Africa three times and Alaska twice:

[Linked Image]

Other than a shotgun and a couple of varmint rifle, I could cover the world of hutning pretty well with these two but don't tell my wife that I admitted to that! <G>
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

What happened to the velour bedspread? Still on the bed. smile

That rifle is seriously ugly, though. Wantin' a 240 Bee myself.
Go on and say it "it's fugly." grin

Been wantin' an antelope tag to use it on,BUT NOOOOOO! NM say's I'm not worthy,maybe Wyoming in a couple of years.
I should work harder on getting a rifle into the hero shots.

Anyway... this rifle has been to Alaska, but only once. I used to have a tally of black bears that it had killed or assisted with. Its north of 7, but not sure the exact number anymore. Other than that...one deer, one sheep, one coyote, a couple of the elusive Alaskan groundhogs...

It has a nice nick in the barrel from when I hit it with a brush chopper while cutting our way off a mountain in the dark. The muzzle is smashed from when the gunbearer let loose and it smacked a rock. There is some custom checkering from riding on a pack while scooting down a rock chute. Can't say it owes me anything.

[Linked Image]

Dad's 721...originally a 300 H&H rebored to WBY. Killed a boatload of elk and deer then this guy. It's been out in the woods every fall since he got it around 1970 or so.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An old ZKK 600 in 7x64 from 1971. We have walked countless miles, spent just as many nights out. Her finish is getting gray-just like my hair-but she is still a faithful reliable companion.
Very nice late Brno/Early CZ. Tough to out-class a well worn hunting rifle.
[Linked Image]

Beat-up, maybe.
Working rifle, clearly.
Ugly? No way.
Chase -

I have 'several' working rifles but NO ugly, beat up ones.
In the working category I have a Rem M 6 in 270 that I bought new in the 80s when they came out. I've hunted it many yrs and killed a lot of deer with it.

I have a Rem 700 7 RM that I bought in '95 and it has killed a truck load of deer. Some would call it ugly because it's a boat paddle, but it's in very good appearance and accurate.

I also have a Win 70 300 that I bought in 2008 and it too has killed @ 20 or so deer.

There are others but I take extremely good care of my rifles and they all still look good.

OTOH - back in the 80s I had an early 60s model Rem 760 30-06 that had been hunted a lot and killed only a few deer. It was in pretty ruff condition. The main reason I got rid of it was that it would not shoot any bullet accurately except 150 grainers.
Heres a pic of my meet getter guns, shot alot of deer with em,

Ruger pre warning 300win mag
Remington 700 270 my dad got me when i was 12
Marlin 3030 made in 1956

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This M94 30-30 was already used when I found it in a gun shop in Juneau. If only I hadn't found it so quickly after it slid from the scabbard, I might have really "corn-cobbed' the forend by running over it with the snowmachine a few more times. laugh

[Linked Image]

My first #1, my second 45-70; she was brand new...

[Linked Image]

Win 94/22, my first 'nice' 22....paid full suggested retail of $300 something, I think, in a small local general store.
My truck rifle - "Bubba":

[Linked Image]
A lot of pretty rifles in this thread. Now for what the OP asked for: my current deer rifle. It has five bucks with six shots to its credit since I started using it again three seasons ago. Note the fine fit of the recoil pad.
[Linked Image]

A better view of the floated barrel.
[Linked Image]

View of the high finish on trigger guard and floorplate. Not to mention the close fit of the front of the floorplate to the stock.
[Linked Image]

The right side.
[Linked Image]

Don't worry, it used to look worse! Check out the natural wood finish on the original stock and the deep bluing on the original barrel. The old scope was a 30 year old Leupold 3-9 Compact that had about 50% blue and 50% silver.
[Linked Image]

Pretty is as pretty does. My final target when I finished load work with 130TTSXs.
[Linked Image]
All I drive is Safe Queens and I start pamperin' them,before they's even fully removed from their shipping containers(I put on nitrile gloves for handlin'). IMHO,THE key is careful break-in and full focus upon bore management and a great Log Book,from which to bank CBS correlations with POA/POI extrapolations,along with Fouling mannerisms. FL virgin cases and jump nekked boolits,for max efficiency.

Start at the start

Looked 'bout right. sub .5MOA at 700+ ain't enough to get excited about,but itsa start and will crunch Critters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BIG Critters.

[Linked Image]

Issued guise seemed to be unfair,so decided to camo it up.

[Linked Image]

Camo seems to be workin' fine.

[Linked Image]

I mean BIG Critters.

[Linked Image]

Was eyephucking it here a few minutes ago and I think the paint needs another coat of wax. That'll be a good afternoon project. Serial number covered,due the early versions having F/F "issues". Laffin'!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_1014.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_1008.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_1004.jpg[/img]

I'd rate it to be in about 98% condition,it's saving grace due the fact that it don't get schlepped but mebbe 5% of the time. I realize the Collector Value,as for some reason these particular rifles have a Cult Following,but I'd rather just use it every now and again and gawk it's splendor...rather then sell or trade it for sumptin' I'd actually use.

Do have a few that look like they get used though,but my heart will always be in Safe Queens,thus the affinity here.

Cheer up...I might have me a couple/few spares,in th event that the new gets knocked offa dis one.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G3521.jpg[/img]

ZKK 7x64-Nicest old working business rifle in this thread so far-very nice.
Originally Posted by jwall

[Linked Image]

I have FELT like doing THAT to 1 rifle, it came from Utah.

I'm not aware of any rifles made in Utah,...what was it?

Here's one I refuse to paint....an '87 vintage ADL/FS in 7 Rem MAg carrying a 4.5-14 Leupy....just flat works....can't change a thing...scratches and all.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RaySendero
My truck rifle - "Bubba":

[Linked Image]

I was weened on a SMLE.
Great rifle.
John
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
ZKK 7x64-Nicest old working business rifle in this thread so far-very nice.

Thank you for the compliment. A rifle with soul-they don't make'em any more like that.
Beautiful rig right there!

Thanks Carlos...I just wish we had more opportunities here in MI that are suitable to use it. I have a hunch the 250 RN's would make good pig rollers.

Scott
Not that I need a rifle for work, but this one has seen 68 years of use - last 7 in my hands. One son took his first deer with it, another son will be carrying it this coming fall.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

This one's been around 114 years and had more than a bit of rework done to it to make it into a 250-3000, definitely needs to be hunted more. Father-in-law hunted with it quite a bit, I've only taken it on a doe antelope hunt where it worked beautifully. Not bad for a gun that was probably displayed at the World's Fair in Paris in 1900.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Stick,

Don't I remember you running friction tape on the underside of some rifles? Seems like I recall some pics of tape and rust on urban gel-coat. What was the merit of the traction given by the tape? Maybe slippery field rests?
Ran a protective block of 3M gripple tape on Boomer's Bellys. Wasn't for more traction on my part,but rather to protect tender undersides,from being beat to absolute dogphuck...given my penchant to crowd Mother Earth ala MPAJ and drive a 2-point rest. then you hit the nail on the head,with added griptitude from which to mate a rifle to a rest,that is slicker than snot. Oft encountered scenario,here along The Milford,as per my travels.

Thinkin' you likely cite my #5 26" 300Super in the Urban Classic,though I've a fair amount of Urban.

'Super and 165 Blue Meanies crowdin' 3500fps,do leave a mark.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Urban.

[Linked Image]

Wayyyyyyyyyy Urban.

[Linked Image]

Yep, it was the Super that I was remembering. Urban has always had a sinister look about it, especially on that big polished 223AI.
Super? Missed the specs on that one. Nice rig with the blue meenies and yeah, them at 3500 will probably do OK. whistle
Here's one I finally got put together in a good synthetic.

7x61 S&H, Douglas 1-9, 23" #2, floorboard crown, Rimrock stock. It shoots GMXs like it has eyes-weighs 7.5lbs on the nose as pictured. Plan on using it on anything that comes to mind soon as my back problems are sorted out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My entry�..das frankenmauser. An interesting rifle built by my shade tree gunsmith buddy. The barrel was found in a pile of barrels somewhere in TN. According to the markings, including strike throughs, it started life as a 22 Hornet on a M54 Winchester�.was then rechambered to 22 Wasp�.then rebored and rechambered to 25-35. The barrel threads were so buggered when Andrew found it that it was unusable as a large shank. Andrew turned the entire bbl down to a feather weight contour and rethreaded it for a small shank mauser action. Since he just happened to have a large ring, small shank Turkish mauser action, he rechambered it to 250-3000 and screwed it on. The military stock was then cut down for sporter use, a Timney trigger added along with a Ruger No. 1 recoil pad and barrel band sling mount. There was something else on it that came from another rifle but I disremember what it was�.maybe the bottom metal.

Andrew added a side swing safety and used it a couple of years killing several deer with it. Then he decided I needed it. He knows I like totin� stuff in the woods that nobody else has and, believe me, there ain�t another one like this anywhere around. It shoots under 1.5MOA. I only got it at the end of last season and I was not lucky enough to see a deer the couple of times I took it. Just wait til next year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's one I finally got put together in a good synthetic.

7x61 S&H, Douglas 1-9, 23" #2, floorboard crown, Rimrock stock. It shoots GMXs like it has eyes-weighs 7.5lbs on the nose as pictured. Plan on using it on anything that comes to mind soon as my back problems are sorted out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's a really sweet rig Karnis.
It really is. Everything on it was purchased through here. Dave did the barrel work, gene270 provided the stock, Talleys purchased from Mr. Bin, scope from classifieds and the bottom metal came off another rig I got in a trade from DMD also in the classifieds, action can from waterbug.

It truly is a <1" rifle. All the time.

eek
Campfire basted build.... sweeeeet.

I wish those Rimrock stocks were a little more easily available. They look very nice.
Remington M 700 SPS Varmint .308 win with a Leupold 4.5x-14x.
[Linked Image]
Here is mine...

Oh wait, I don't have any ugly rifles
Originally Posted by Taco270
Here is mine...

Oh wait, I don't have any ugly rifles

Yeah - I got rid of my savage too. whistle
All of mine are "ugly". This one is the most useful, accurate and used of them all.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Use this one for coyotes. grin
I've used this one for about 15 years, it has a few miles on it, mostly via pickup or horse...grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one is getting there. 4 buck mule deer and a whitetail buck deer, my favorite carry gun.

[Linked Image]
This Savage was a working machine, until it wasn't..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Diggin' the redneck palm swell Sam... grin

Very cool dog BTW, heelers are great little dogs.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

[Linked Image]

Hey Sam - your tape is NOT blue AND it's NOT on the bll. What's up? grin

And I see it's YO rifle. <G>

Originally Posted by mtcurman

And a red fleabitten to match the dog! Nice.....or is it a paint or an Appaloosa?
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove

And a red fleabitten to match the dog! Nice.....or is it a paint or an Appaloosa?

My bet is it's an App.
To the OP. If you went to a Gun Show once in a while, you wouldn't be asking for a beater thread!

DMc
One of my old work rifles, when I finished 'roo shooting I parted it out and got $200.00 for the Jewel trigger, $1000.00 for the 40xbr action, New Randall No 1-7 for the Leupold 24 BRD with the Premier reticles make-over, the stock I donated to a mate for his 'roo rifle which he is still currently using.

It had been through a couple of bolts and half a dozen barrels and earnt my living for a good twelve years...I got my moneys worth.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
Originally Posted by mtcurman

Ben, that puppy dog is still trying to get us ran-over by a pissed mother cow! First place he runs is right behind a guy.

We got the horse last Summer. Goofy looking mixed breed, I'm not exactly sure what you'd call it. Good cow horse but you have to put on about 5 miles before he settles down enough to be really trusted. I named him Rooster.

[Linked Image]

He's a ginger!
It really is. Everything on it was purchased through here. Dave did the barrel work, gene270 provided the stock, Talleys purchased from Mr. Bin, scope from classifieds and the bottom metal came off another rig I got in a trade from DMD also in the classifieds, action can from waterbug.

It truly is a <1" rifle. All the time.

eek

and waterbug got the action from Daveh,,,
Originally Posted by JSTUART
One of my old work rifles, when I finished 'roo shooting I parted it out and got $200.00 for the Jewel trigger, $1000.00 for the 40xbr action, New Randall No 1-7 for the Leupold 24 BRD with the Premier reticles make-over, the stock I donated to a mate for his 'roo rifle which he is still currently using.

It had been through a couple of bolts and half a dozen barrels and earnt my living for a good twelve years...I got my moneys worth.

What a great way to earn a living. I could kick my high school guidance councelor's butt right now......
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Ben, that puppy dog is still trying to get us ran-over by a pissed mother cow! First place he runs is right behind a guy.

grin

Good looking horse too.
[Linked Image]

Here's my Husqvarna 4100 lightweight .30-06 in a Fajen stock. It first belonged to my late Great Uncle, then my late uncle, then my late cousin, now it's mine and I guess I better watch out the thing doesn't kill me too. eek
That's a good looking rifle Moosemike... Well used, but still looking good.

[Linked Image]

An old push feed Winchester 70 XTR in .30/06. It was made in 1981 and has done a lot of work. The blueing is worn, the checkering has been smoothed completely on one side of the forestock from rubbing against a packframe for a lot of long miles. The butt got fixed and a spacer put in. Unusually for a featherweight it has factory open sights. The bore is still bright and it will still shoot three into a neat one inch triangle.
I just picked up a Leupold M8 to put on it that was made the same year so its all matching....

[Linked Image]
These aren't ugly, but well used for sure.

This has two dowels through the wrist as a result of, um..... hard use. whistle eek

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one Dad has had for over 35 years... It's seen A LOT of use..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This hasn't seen the use the other two have, but it's getting there.

[Linked Image]

It got a new paint job yesterday..

[Linked Image]

I could go on, but won't right now.

Ben
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[quote=Ready][Linked Image]

Is that really "9.3x64" I see stamped on that barrel? If so, we need to talk, sir!

Here is mine...NOT an ugly/ beat up rifle!
[Linked Image]
I should take "ugly" out of the original title/post. What I really meant is a little "wear and tear", some "beat up", "well used", etc.

I like character in a rifle
[Linked Image]

Give it a few months, it will be beat to hell up!
Here are a few of my beat-up working rifles, but I don't think they are ugly. I kind of like the way they look. Top to bottom they are:
30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 8X60

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Here are a few of my beat-up working rifles, but I don't think they are ugly. I kind of like the way they look. Top to bottom they are:
30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 8X60

[Linked Image]

8x60 ? Educate me - never heard of that one and I'm a cartridge geek.
TexasChase I got the following is from Wikipedia. It pretty much sums up what I have learned over the years about the 8X60 and does a much better job of explaining it than I could.

After World War I, the Allied forces signed the Treaty of Versailles. This Treaty prohibited the use of standard military weapons and ammunition by Germany. However, civilian hunters didn't want to give up on this great round, so a new cartridge was designed by the German arms manufacturer Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM). Extending the 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge case by 3 mm (2 mm of lengthened body plus 1 mm of lengthened neck) created the 8x60mm S. The 8x60mm S bullet diameter is 8.20 mm (.323 in) as found in the 8x57mm IS.
The new cartridge used the same bullet and therefore only the chamber of the rifle had to be modified (reamed out by 2 mm plus 1 mm of neck extension) to accommodate the slightly longer case. This operation was easily performed on Gewehr 98 and Karabiner 98k rifles.
Originally Posted by spiwonka
[Linked Image]

Tell us about that bad boy. Pig gun?

DMc
You guys just don't know ugly- and I ain't posting mine at this time.... smile
Originally Posted by las
You guys just don't know ugly- and I ain't posting mine at this time.... smile

Oh come on! We wanna see UGLY!!!
[quote

Oh come on! We wanna see UGLY!!! [/quote]

[Linked Image]

Here is another Alaskan guide's rifle -- it was Bill Pinnell's 8mm Commission carbine that he carried for the first 25 years he was on Kodiak. His M-70 375 that he replaced it with is not much prettier. Notice where he whittled out a handhold behind the muzzle so he could use it as a walking staff.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 458Win
[quote

[Linked Image]

Here is another Alaskan guide's rifle -- it was Bill Pinnell's 8mm Commission carbine that he carried for the first 25 years he was on Kodiak. His M-70 375 that he replaced it with is not much prettier. Notice where he whittled out a handhold behind the muzzle so he could use it as a walking staff.

[Linked Image] [/quote]

How is the light mounted of your 458?
Phil just won...

Travis
It may be ugly, but it's a thing of beauty!
Originally Posted by 458Win
[quote

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][/quote]

I love it.
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by spiwonka
[Linked Image]

Tell us about that bad boy. Pig gun?

DMc

Nothing special, just a Remington aac .308 factory rifle bedded in a hs stock, large fluted bolt, yankee hill machine phantom suppressor, that i just got my paperwork in a couple weeks ago. Had to wait about 6.5 months for the tax stamp. I've been running the can between my ar-15, this rifle and my .300 tikka t3 lite is getting the barrel threaded as i type this. Cant wait to try her out on the .300 win mag, but i really like the can on my ar-15, little quieter and 3.5 lbs lighter!
[Linked Image]
Saw Phils rifle on here a long time back, saved a copy of the pic and posted up above my bench. Anyone thinks mine look used - are directed to that pic. They can be pretty, but they be tools, never saw anyone purty up a hammer.
This one started as a USRAC PF Fwt 257R in 1980. Nothing special, except my late brother re-chambered to 257 RAI and gave it to me. It's accounted for more AL WTs than I remember.

It's now a 6.5 Gibbs that shoots true 1/2MOA. I like it for mulies. Looks funny but it works.

[Linked Image]
Ugly old used rifles? Cool, that's my favorite kind.

7mmSTW w/ old FF II in 4-12x42 which I purchased used 30 years ago.
[Linked Image]

You can just see the butt of Dad's 760 in '06 sticking up out of the scabbard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here it is about 45 years later.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And another of Dad's old rifles getting a second life.

[Linked Image]

My win 70 classic in 264 after my son and his 4H pony got tangled up with a wind fall tree on an elk hunt and broke the stock. That is a Fajen from Midway and the new 27 inch Pac-Nor barrel, still in 264.

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Idaho_Shooter/DSCF0550.jpg[/img]

Oh no! Kid with gun alert!! Dont you know you are condemning your child to a life of crime letting her be around a gun?? crazy

Mines been shooting since about that age. Good for you teaching them responsible gun handling early! Kids everywhere should be so lucky.

Great post! Love old hunting photos.
can't let this thread die...
© 24hourcampfire