Home
Picked up my new tikka t3 lite 223 yesterday and it has 1-10 twist rate. I ordered it thinking I was getting a 1-8 twist. Call the company I ordered it from and they called tikka they told them all t3 lite 223 coming to the US now are 1-10.
News to me..... but Ive got a .223 currently barreled with a 1 in 10 and find it very versatile...it shoots 40-68 grainers well indeed.

Never tried anything heavier in it.
Why don't we ever see pictures of it with dead critters?
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Why don't we ever see pictures of it with dead critters?

Turkey...

[Linked Image]

Speed goats..

[Linked Image]

Gophs..

[Linked Image]
I thought you were speaking of a Tikka. I thought you owned one for some reason?
I did own a tikka with a 1 in 8 twist...cant say enough good about it, but alas it had no soul....so I sold it to a fellow fire member. The tikka is a superb gun, I just couldnt warm up to it.....

Stainless synthetic Remmys dont have a soul either..but they feel more like 'home'... smile
I bought a SS T3 Lite in 223.....and it has the 10" twist. I have a couple other 223's in the works too. My rifles don't have a soul...just karma.

And it's not all bad..
Not sure why they would go to a 1n10, can't spin em too fast especially if you want to shoot heavies.

Remington in it's infinite wisdom are offering way too many 1n12's on their .308's instead of 1n10 and it drives me even more wacky.

I always thought Tikka had their twist rates set pretty decent but that escapes me as well.
Originally Posted by ingwe
I did own a tikka with a 1 in 8 twist...cant say enough good about it, but alas it had no soul....so I sold it to a fellow fire member. The tikka is a superb gun, I just couldnt warm up to it.....

Stainless synthetic Remmys dont have a soul either..but they feel more like 'home'... smile

I know what you mean. I like S/S rifles, but I can't stand the feel or look of a Tikka.
I'm a very specialized level of snob. grin
[quote=southwind]Not sure why they would go to a 1n10, can't spin em too fast especially if you want to shoot heavies.

Southwind.......from what I understand the 1 in 8 twist has been known to compromise the integrity of the jacket of some of the lighter 223 bullets when pushed hard.

I'm guessing this may be the reason tikka went to 1 in 10.

Shod
Yes and you never want to over stablize a bullet. Too fast a twist does more damage than we realize.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Too fast a twist does more damage than we realize.

Can I quote you on that? grin
You bet....lol.
Yes and you never want to over stablize a bullet. Too fast a twist does more damage than we realize.

The problem with bullets that spin to fast is that they can go into a time warp killing the animal either yesterday or possibly tomarro. A known advantage to this is you can hunt the day before season opens or a day after it closes if you get the twist figured correctly. smile

Shod
Cool...now I can cross it off the list and I won't have to deal with Beretta.

You really should get in touch with David Tubb and clue him in about that. He's woefully misinformed about that.

Tikka always cataloged the 223 with 1 in 10 and 1 in 8 barrels
Tikka used to do 1-8's and 1-12's. I understand they are now switching to 1-10 only. Too bad...
I stand corrected, I thought it was 1in10. I sold a 1 in 8 that was a solid MOA rifle with Federal Gold Medal 77's and 69's. I have an AR with a Montana barrel on it that outshot it so I moved it along.
T3 Lites are now 1-10
T3 Superlites are still 1-8
I didn't know they offered the Superlite in 223, thanks for the info. Cabelas or SG?
I really enjoy my t3 .223, if it didn't have the 8" twist I wouldn't have bought it. Shooting the heavy weights is half the fun. I don't plan to hunt deer with it , but if I start having bad shoulder problems again I might have to.
Probably more cost effective to change barrel twist than to reconfigure the [bleep] magazine to a length that would compliment the 1-8 twist.
I have a T3 in 1-10" and a Superlite in 1-8". They both shoot 50 grain V-Max bullets about the same. I haven't tried any Nosler BSB yet, though.

P
Are t3's still 1-10?
Mine is 1-8''
Originally Posted by ingwe
News to me..... but Ive got a .223 currently barreled with a 1 in 10 and find it very versatile...it shoots 40-68 grainers well indeed.

Never tried anything heavier in it.

Stunt shooter.
Anything slower than 8",remains hilarious..................
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Are t3's still 1-10?

Pretty sure the T3x models are all 8s now, as well as early and latest made t3s. Seems like they did the 10s for a couple years then switched back to 8. But I’d definitely ask before ordering online if it’s not clearly stated
Nope.

Hilariously...................
© 24hourcampfire