Home
Posted By: gijoetx Rifle question - 06/08/13
Im looking at my next rifle, and I am interested in a 45-70. My question is what brand and model to go with, barrel length etc. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
What you going to shoot with it, and where?
Posted By: gijoetx Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
Not a hundred percent on the what, however I do live in western North Dakota hills and open country. That is my primary hunting range.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
Any number of ways to go.
Will you be using it for hunting, cowboy action, BPCR?

[Linked Image]
45-70 1895g ported guide gun, 18.5" barrel

I bought one of the original guide guns, blue/walnut with 18.5" ported barrel Some ported/braked rifles ruin your ear drums, not this. The porting does much to soften the recoil.

I have had mine almost 10 years. I load it with 53 gr. IMR 3031 and 400 gr speers. Avg velocity around 1700 fps.

Here is a typical target shot at 100 yds. This was shot off the bench at the Pearland shooters club on 12/23/07. I planned to shoot it when I hunted between Christmas and New Year. I wanted to check zero. The first two shot were to check for group. The third shot was after I had made adjustments down and to the right. Not to shabby for a dead stock lever gun with untouched trigger.

[Linked Image]
Checking for zero. Shots 1& 2 are for group. Shot 3 is for zero. 100 yds, off the bench.

Anyway, it flat works. Kills stuff DRT, and you can eat right up to the bullet hole
GWB

[Linked Image]
Worked on this whitetail buck

[Linked Image]
worked on this axis doe

[Linked Image]
worked on these hogs

[Linked Image]
even works on varmints

Best

GWB

Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
Originally Posted by gijoetx
Not a hundred percent on the what, however I do live in western North Dakota hills and open country. That is my primary hunting range.

Well, that didn't help much..

[bleep], get a 1886 with 26" octagonal barrel, and shoot up the countryside until you figger out what you're shooting at.
Posted By: Micro_Groove Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
I like the pre-2010 Marlin Guide Gun as well. Pre 2010 is Marlin made instead of the Remington abortions. Rumor has it that Remington is very close to working out all the kinks, but for now I still shop used on Marlin lever actions.
Posted By: gijoetx Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
Well rancho glad to see you are a cheery fellow. At any rate I guess the easiest would be for WT Deer, hogs in Texas maybe. And on the occasion that I feel like changing it up a bit maybe even a yote or two. So I will be using it for hunting, not much else. I am only looking for advice and pointers on what to look for in the rifle for a 45-70 cal rifle.
Posted By: Fifth Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

[bleep], get a 1886 with 26" octagonal barrel, and shoot up the countryside until you figger out what you're shooting at.

Or even a 45-90 1885 Highwall...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345496123
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
Pre 2009 GBL Marlin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Shoots ok groups off the tailgate of the truck...
[Linked Image]

Mostly using Sierra 300g HP, shoots flat and accurate enough for pigs, goats and deer a little bit further than 200y.
Posted By: Bear_in_Fairbanks Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
Be a real man & get a Sharps. Learn to cast your own bullets & load your cartridges with BP then go forth.
Bear in Fairbanks
Posted By: GeoW Re: Rifle question - 06/08/13
I'd go with the JM lever rifle with the 22" barrel.
Posted By: gijoetx Re: Rifle question - 06/09/13
That seems like a whole different can of worms, lol. It would be a lot of fun and a huge learning experience.
Posted By: Fifth Re: Rifle question - 06/09/13
Originally Posted by GeoW
I'd go with the JM lever rifle with the 22" barrel.

This describes my 444. Perfect forest gun in every way. Not a 45-70 but a great thumper nonetheless.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Rifle question - 06/09/13
A used 1895 Marlin was my choice. No ports. Dropped a 6x6 bull with it, straight down.

The .45-70 is on top.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Rifle question - 06/09/13
Never had much use for the Guide Guns, but the 1895 CB by Marlin is a winner. 500 grain paper patch will thump all the rest of these thumpers. Tang sight, screw the scopes. Dinosaur killer.

Go Thump Something (GTS)
© 24hourcampfire