Home
Hi all,
Figured I would ask here instead of researching it thru Google. I'm in need of a take-down deer rifle that I can throw in the panniers of my dual-sport, also called enduro motorcycle. Caliber is not a big deal, as long as I can shoot to 250 yards, something from 250 savage to 270, although a 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmoor I would consider ideal.

Don't want to use a scabbard, as I don't want to draw attention to it while I'm on the highway. I've considered the Winchester Trail End 30-30 Model 94, but would like something with more range. I use to have BLR in 308, & shot a lot of game with it, but I always felt it a tad clunky, so not interested in it.

The country I hunt in is a very mixed bag. Sometimes in the forest, a 25 yard shot would be considered long, but up on an open ridge a 300 yard shot is possible. A good deal of terrain relief exists, with some very steep areas.

Don't care if it's single shot, lever-action, bolt, ... just want something that I can take-down & reassemble in a few minutes.

Thanks for your thoughts & experience.
How 'bout a Thompson Encore? You can get a stainless/synthetic in 7-08.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encore.php
Blaser K95
A well bedded bolt action rifle re-assembles very well, especially if you didn't mind carrying a torque screwdriver to ensure everything is tightened the same....but if you follow the same procedure you'll be pretty close with a regular one.
That's how I'd roll. I'd also have it in a glass stock, no need for wood here.
Blaser K95 or R8.

On the lower cost side, TC Contender/Encore. Just remove the stock and you don't have to disassemble the action.
AR-10 or Remington R-25. In 243,7-08, or 308
RRA LAR 6.8 would be fun and use full.
The barrels come off the Blaser R-93 & R-8, but the forearm doesn't remove readily. You are left with a package much like an 870 pump shotgun. I think that is longer than you want.

The Blaser and Merkel single shots would be ideal, provided you can stand the tariff. T-C is the economical way to go. Custom take down bolt guns also are available, but with a price! If you can stand UGLY, H&R makes singles in most calibers and they have a reputation for shooting.

I keep a TC carbine, just because I like takedowns, but I find it kind of unwieldy because of the grip shape. If you can live with other calibers, Savage 99 TDs were made in .250 & .300, and some others. Those I have played with were accurate enough. Winchester/Browningmade some 1885 single shots inTD? They still may do so.

What this country needs is a stylish (read classic appearing) break apart single with a popular price in a nice selection of calibers.

Good luck in your quest. Jack
Remington m14 or m141 would be very easy to take down. Pretty much the same type of cartridges as a take down Win m94 though.
So, do you plan on taking that moose home on your motorcycle? Picture's please! lol
I would go with a Blaser K95 with the 18-1/2" barrel.

If you want keep the budget down I would go with a TC single shot with a folding stock. I have a Contender set with 16-1/2" barrels in 22 Hornet, 35 Remington, and 45-70. It fits folded well in a simple back pack. You simply unfold and it is ready to go.

I have shot quite a few turkeys with the 22 Hornet in the fall to serve turkey nuggets and gravy for breakfast on deer hunting trips.
The Choate folding stock for the Encore or Contender would be ideal IMO. The Encore gives you near unlimited cartridge options with the option of carrying a second barrel for even greater versatility.

[Linked Image]
Even a large Denali pannier would be limited in space to hold a sporter sized barreled action. Not sure you'd fit anything much bigger than a small 2pc carbine, if that would even fit the box.

If you didn't want to mount a proper rifle case, why not shorten your range and carry a dedicated hunting handgun. Would better fit a small space and leave you more room to pack boned out meat.
Originally Posted by msuhunter

I like this idea of the R-25 in 7-08mm. How difficult is it to break down & reassemble?

Also, like all the other ideas as well, keep 'em coming. Thanks
Originally Posted by DonFischer
So, do you plan on taking that moose home on your motorcycle? Picture's please! lol

Think small deer & deboning instead.
Perhaps something like a Ruger compact in 308? Properly bedded and torqued it should return to zero - certainly at least close enough for a 300yd shot.

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeLaminateCompact/specSheets/17110.html

David
Kel-tec SU-16
Go vintage.. find a nice old Savage that's d&t for a scope and the price is reasonable.

In 250-3000 (aka 250 Savage), easy to find one in 300 Savage also:

[Linked Image]

Another sample in 300 Savage that's taken down:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by justin10mm
The Choate folding stock for the Encore or Contender would be ideal IMO. The Encore gives you near unlimited cartridge options with the option of carrying a second barrel for even greater versatility.

[Linked Image]

Interesting thread. smile I've pondered this topic myself and considered a 7-30 Waters on a G1 or G2 Contender Carbine (21 inch bbl). Maybe the 7-30 Improved? wink

Maybe even custom built (Bullberry)?, but the lightest weight possible and 21-22inches.

My goal is for a possible ltwt mule deer rifle to 200yds or so,
that would fit in or on a backpack.

Bullets between 120 and 140 grains, 2600-2700fps .....
Originally Posted by Kushtekaa

I like this idea of the R-25 in 7-08mm. How difficult is it to break down & reassemble?

Literally a matter of dropping the magazine, pushing out the two lower receiver pins, and stowing it away. An R-25 in 243, 260, or 7mm-08 would be hard to argue against. I'd probably get a collapsible M4 style stock for it as well, if concerned about overall length.
If you want to go cheap, a H&R single shot is a single screw take down and won't cost much. The couple I have seen shoot very well.
Originally Posted by noKnees
If you want to go cheap, a H&R single shot is a single screw take down and won't cost much. The couple I have seen shoot very well.

With a Choate composite stock and composite forend, this could be a viable suggestion! With a 22inch bbl OAL would be @ 38inches .....

I still would want a (ltwt) 7-30W or 7-30Imp, if not a .243, .250Sav, .260Rem or 7mm-08.

Only the .243 and 7mm-08 are factory offerings, and the .243 doesn't always shoot well in Handi's.

Easiest route would be to find or set up a 7mm-08 lightweight.

Couple of members on the Graybeardoutdoors site own and shoot the 7mm-08 ltwt. wink
Are Browning Lever Actions takedowns? I think they are and they come in great cartridges as well.
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Originally Posted by Kushtekaa

Literally a matter of dropping the magazine, pushing out the two lower receiver pins, and stowing it away. An R-25 in 243, 260, or 7mm-08 would be hard to argue against. I'd probably get a collapsible M4 style stock for it as well, if concerned about overall length.

Maybe 30 seconds to break down your first time you do it. It's by far the easiest of all the other mentioned other than the folding stock encore. But I bet the r25 will be more accurate more times than not than the encore but that's just and educated guess

I would suggest a TCR-83 or TCR-87 rifle, which has interchangeable barrels available in a plethora of chamberings.

It's an easily-scopable, break-open single-shot rifle that takes down as easily as a single-barrel shotgun - pop off the forend & unhook the barrel (done).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kushtekaa,
What's the longest measurement of your panniers?
Are they hard or soft?
I have a few of the rifles mentioned is why I ask and I just bought my first Dual Sport (Super Sherpa) last month so I am interested in seeing what you come up with..

I don't have to drive on the highway to get where I hunt so I just slung my 16 1/2" barreled .358 across my chest with the barrel down to bear hunt this spring..
Hard to make it out as a rifle slung that way..

Funny thing while you don't like your BLR I just got my old .308 BLR out last night thinking it might be one of the better candidates for this style hunting as it would be quick to bring into action if I saw a wolf crossing the old logging roads I hunt..
There is lots of wolf tracks and crap on these roads in the spring..
Plus I like the way they handle when set up with a peep site..
Be sure to post what you come up with..
I couldn't find much info out there even after doing a search on the advrider.com site..
Browning Superposed Continental over/under in 270 or 30-06, or is 6-9K over budget?

DMc
Don't have the panniers yet, but have the skillset to make my own if I have to. Another option I saw recently here on the Fire is a Model 8 or 81 remington semi-auto; A Browning design with the humpback. Supposedly they are a take-down. Can anyone vouch for this?

Originally Posted by Nrut
Kushtekaa,
What's the longest measurement of your panniers?
Are they hard or soft?
I have a few of the rifles mentioned is why I ask and I just bought my first Dual Sport (Super Sherpa) last month so I am interested in seeing what you come up with..

I don't have to drive on the highway to get where I hunt so I just slung my 16 1/2" barreled .358 across my chest with the barrel down to bear hunt this spring..
Hard to make it out as a rifle slung that way..

Funny thing while you don't like your BLR I just got my old .308 BLR out last night thinking it might be one of the better candidates for this style hunting as it would be quick to bring into action if I saw a wolf crossing the old logging roads I hunt..
There is lots of wolf tracks and crap on these roads in the spring..
Plus I like the way they handle when set up with a peep site..
Be sure to post what you come up with..
I couldn't find much info out there even after doing a search on the advrider.com site..
Here is another route for hunting off your bike..
Quite a few ideas about trailers both homemade and commercial:

1. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113997
2. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742318

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Home made using a MTB wheel..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire