Home
Posted By: Shag Any Vanguard� Series 2 love? - 07/27/13
Well? Any love for Weatherby Vanguard� Series 2???

Looking at a .243 today thinking,, hmmm is there really anything wrong with this rifle?
I like that Back Country model. It looks schnazzy. It doesn't come in a short action though. Weatherby has no love for the 7mm-08 I guess. Talk about a screw up. They could have sold these like hot cakes if they'd offer better cartridge choices.

...But! You could always go the Stainless Synthetic route and drop it into a B&C Medalist for $235. Or a McMillan.
I cycled through an S2 Stainless in .257 Wby (bought on here, hunted with,then sold on here). Nice rifle, very accurate. Had I kept it, like Micro Groove suggests, I would have dropped it in a different stock. The factory stocks are gawdawful ugly IMO.
I bought a stainless in 270 win called weatherby and had them send me a weatherby mkV inletted for the vanguard action and love it
No love here. Least not for the handle. Schitty fit. Uneven contact throughout the barrel channel. Horrible fitting of bottom metal. Sold it unfired. Have absolutely no desire to own another. Id buy a TC Venture before Id buy another S2
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
No love here. Least not for the handle. Schitty fit. Uneven contact throughout the barrel channel. Horrible fitting of bottom metal. Sold it unfired. Have absolutely no desire to own another. Id buy a TC Venture before Id buy another S2

Hmmm . I bought a 257 SS about a month ago. The trigger is an upgrade over the previous version although I do not like the 2 stage design and will [bleep] it for a Timney if I keep it. The Stock is not Fugly like some say and is robust to say the least, not a big fan of the weatherby metric allan bolts , they do not fit the bottom metal properly. I cleaned it for the first time to get rid of the factory fouling and it was a bear to clean. I mounted a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 on it in Talley Steel rings and will take it to the range probably later today.

PS. The plastic magazine follower sucks..I will be ordering a steel follower from them. I will not have a plastic magazine follower in any rifle IDGAF
I bought a Back Country 257 shoots good but may change out the trigger.
Originally Posted by old_willys
I bought a Back Country 257 shoots good but may change out the trigger.

The trigger is probably up to the job as far as accuracy but I don't particularly like a 2 stage trigger or the shape of the safety button.
fit and finish on mine is very good. plastic follower is off-putting, but it works. safety has a cheap feel to it. stock is tuppeware. rifle is a little heavy overall. I think the trigger is great, I could care less if its 2 stage. breaks very cleanly. the rifles are typically very accurate. mine was well worth the $450 or so I paid for it, but i think they may have gone up some at this point.

to me, the allure of these guns is the .240 and .257 Weatherby calibers. If I was going for a standard caliber I would probably pick something else. YMMV, as they say
Great rifles bought 5 so far. would rate them just below my sakos ahead of my brownings !!!! Great trigger and I like the stock, very accurate out of the box !!
Friend had one and it shot pretty well after we floated and bedded it. Stock was ok and fit was decent.

I don't understand why they don't free float the barrels on these rifles- or why any mfg. doesn't float their barrels... Temperature changes can negatively affect pressure points, especially with cheaper stocks.

He ended up selling it and picked up a Win. EW.

I'll stick with Winchester and Browning, but I thought it was a pretty good rifle.
Bought a stainless 270 Winchester Vanguard last year and a
7MM Stainless Vanguard about a month ago. Both shoot several
loads under a inch at a hundred yards. One trigger breaks at
3lb2oz and the other is 2lb8oz. Both out shoot my 3 model 70,s.
Took mine to the range for the first time yesterday and it is a hammer . Shoots very well the little shooting I did with it ..mostly shoot and patch it out for the first few
Had one in 257Wby for a while until one of my best friends borrowed it and then talked me out of it. Very accurate rifle. I personally liked the new trigger. The stock was ugly but I cured that with some paint. It was a little heavy, but it was my bean field gun so that never bothered me.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Had one in 257Wby for a while until one of my best friends borrowed it and then talked me out of it. Very accurate rifle. I personally liked the new trigger. The stock was ugly but I cured that with some paint. It was a little heavy, but it was my bean field gun so that never bothered me.

[Linked Image]

Did you handload for that rifle and if so what worked out well? Thanks
What is the actual weight for one of those in 257 weatherby, or 7mm Mag?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

[Linked Image]

Never got around to loading for it before my buddy bought it. I bought 3-4 boxes of factory ammo when I bought the gun. The factory stuff ran out last fall so I plan to try out some loads for him before the season starts this fall.
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Bare stock rifle weighs 7 lbs 2 ounces on a postal scale(I think) ...have Talley Steel rings and a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 on it. Not a lightweight by any means

[Linked Image]

Never got around to loading for it before my buddy bought it. I bought 3-4 boxes of factory ammo when I bought the gun. The factory stuff ran out last fall so I plan to try out some loads for him before the season starts this fall.

Ok thanks...
Chuck, friend, and hunting buddy.

Take a deep breath and just walk away from this post.

Originally Posted by patbrennan

Bare stock rifle weighs 7 lbs 2 ounces on a postal scale(I think) ...have Talley Steel rings and a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 on it. Not a lightweight by any means

Not as heavy as I suspected, thanks.
Originally Posted by SU35
Chuck, friend, and hunting buddy.

Take a deep breath and just walk away from this post.

walking away..
Posted By: KDK Re: Any Vanguard� Series 2 love? - 08/03/13
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
to me, the allure of these guns is the .240 and .257 Weatherby calibers. If I was going for a standard caliber I would probably pick something else. YMMV, as they say

I agree. I already have a 700 in .257, but I'm interested in a .240. What would be ideal is if Weatherby would offer the .240 and 7mm Wby. in SS. And it would end up in a McSwirly.
I will be picking up my S2 in a few days. 257 Weatherby. Like others, the caliber/gun combo is what has intrigued me and for the price..... I'll give it a whirl.

Will mount a 4.5x14 Leupold on it in a set of Dead Nutz one piece bases/rings.

Two boxes of Hornady 90grn GMX loads on the way.

Like TATELAW, I will do a little customizing of the stock.

Kinda exccited to try 'er out.
Originally Posted by 2crow
I will be picking up my S2 in a few days. 257 Weatherby. Like others, the caliber/gun combo is what has intrigued me and for the price..... I'll give it a whirl.

Will mount a 4.5x14 Leupold on it in a set of Dead Nutz one piece bases/rings.

Two boxes of Hornady 90grn GMX loads on the way.

Like TATELAW, I will do a little customizing of the stock.

Kinda exccited to try 'er out.

Good luck with it. I am shooting 100 grain Weatherby hornady bullet factory ammo and it shoots extremely well under an inch easily ....I might not even handload for it even though I bought 100 pieces of new Weatherby Brass when I bought the gun.
I too was intrigued by the .257 and .240 options. I replaced my S1 .257 with the S2 but I have not fired the rifle yet. I would also be interested in a 7mm Weatherby Mag... is that offered in the S2?
Originally Posted by Oakster
I too was intrigued by the .257 and .240 options. I replaced my S1 .257 with the S2 but I have not fired the rifle yet. I would also be interested in a 7mm Weatherby Mag... is that offered in the S2?

Nope
Posted By: KDK Re: Any Vanguard� Series 2 love? - 08/05/13
Originally Posted by Oakster
I would also be interested in a 7mm Weatherby Mag... is that offered in the S2?

I wish.
Posted By: ADJ Re: Any Vanguard� Series 2 love? - 08/05/13
I want one in 308 or 300 win mag.

[Linked Image]

I like my Vanguard in 25-06. Very accurate, and I am happy.

I like your paintjob, can you tell me more about that, looks great, and I am looking to
do something like that. I like the stock and grips, so just keeping it simple.
© 24hourcampfire