Home
Well, except maybe for Browning Safari Grades and Weatherbys. Three rounds, 100 yards, 300gr Swift AFrame, 300gr Barnes Solid, 270gr Barnes TSX... And I've repeated this with 300gr Hornadys in the mix. Zero mods other than a Williams Extractor and trigger adjusted to 3.5. Buffalo @ 25 yards to a Kudu at over 350.

[Linked Image]
Oh, I dunno, I will take my Brno ZG-47 rifles over ANY other production hunting rifle ever made and this included my Dakota 76, re-worked by Ralf Martini, a couple of years ago.

I had several of these, have sold all but the pair of polished receiver factory 9.3x62s and the matching "carbine" in 7x57, the single nicest "factory" rifle I have ever owned out of about 150. This includes "as new" Mannlicher-Schoenauers, dozens of P-64-70s, early Browning Safaris in .30-06,.375H&H and .458WM and Sako Finnwolf,etc,etc.

I don't and never have cared for Weatherbys,love P-64-70s and the FN-badged sporters as well as Husqy FNs and HVAs, but, the Brnos are in a class of their own and only my original Oberndorf Type B, 9.3x62 is their equal.

That all said, the important thing is to have what YOU like and snjoy shooting most as this is all about "fun", anyway.
Nice when they shoot that way. Good for you.

Is that one in 375?
Yep 375.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, except maybe for Browning Safari Grades and Weatherbys. Three rounds, 100 yards, 300gr Swift AFrame, 300gr Barnes Solid, 270gr Barnes TSX... And I've repeated this with 300gr Hornadys in the mix. Zero mods other than a Williams Extractor and trigger adjusted to 3.5. Buffalo @ 25 yards to a Kudu at over 350.

[Linked Image]

Pretty good shooting for such a heavy trigger ("3.5") sick ....Care to show any pics of the rifle?..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And how she shot in 01...

[Linked Image]
The second group pic from 01 looks smaller. Either you or the rifle are getting rusty wink

Nice gun.

Terry
Both! thanks..
I like it. Like they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Very nice!!
Well, I suppose that's good enough for BIG game, but probably need to work those groups down a bit if you're going to hunt prairie dogs and such. wink

Good shootin' there!
I have the same rifle only it is stainless. It shoots just about like yours does. Can't wait to safarize it!!
removed

(off topic)
An old fashioned Remmy just for you jorge, just cause I know how much you love them! grin

[Linked Image]
Jorge,

Your analogy that the Porsche has no substitute made me remember the new Porsche I ordered in 1966. It was the 912 model and I paid extra for the 5 speed transmission. Stick shift was in back then.

It was a red coupe with the air cooled rear engine.

[Linked Image]

This car broke down at every chance. The first thing to fall apart was the shift lever. The ball at the operating end of the stick shift wore thru the cheap, ill designed stamping that held it to the floor. It came out of that socket in my late dad's driveway. It was in neutral and could not move.

After waiting forever for Porsche to find another part my dad who was a tool maker, welder etc. made a new part and welded it to the stamping and it worked perfectly. I still have that part here in our garage.

Then the 912's engine failed. It would not even turn over. The Porsche dealer had it towed and put a new engine in it under warranty.

Meanwhile I had bought a Chevy Impala sedan as I was working on the camp in VT and I wanted it's ability to 'truck' stuff.

The M70 Winchester is a good rifle. The Chevy was good. That Porsche was junk.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
That Porsche was junk.

Have to save that one for posterity. My OP was a line out of a Tom Cruise movie, Risky Business, but never mind. It is a well know fact Porsches have an internal self-destruct mechanism for when they detect people that buy them that really are best off in a ChevyII or Dodge Dart they self destruct...
jorge: now you have confirmation from our contra-indicator.if Don says its junk, you know you are on to something good.... grin
BINGO. I just never heard that about Porsches before. I don't doubt the man mind you, so the explanation has to lie elsewhere, as in my hypothesis for example smile

PS: helluva group out of that 700, their accuracy has never been in dispute...
Jorge, your seeing the light. Now if we could just get you to renounce Weatherby's!
Originally Posted by kutenay
Oh, I dunno, I will take my Brno ZG-47 rifles over ANY other production hunting rifle ever made and this included my Dakota 76, re-worked by Ralf Martini, a couple of years ago.

First off, I think you guys all shoot way better than I can.

Kutenay...if you ever come across one of those BRNOs that you don't have the coin for or just don't need, give me a shout grin
Good shooting, Jorge. I had a couple Model 70s in .375 and I couldn't get them to shoot that well.

I finally got a couple of .416s and they shot better, but still not as well as your rifle.

I've since gotten rid of all of my "big" rifles and I'm content with .270/.280/.30-06s now.
No way Porsches are junk. Winchester M70's however, pure trash.
Don,
If you still have that 912 piece of junk I'd be happy to help you get free of it.

It was a simple car, yet made with very high quality parts and designed to be driven hard. The engine was from the older 356 (bath-tub) Porsches that had won a ton of races, including the 24-hr LeMans. They needed to be looked after, though; the valves on those air-cooled engines needed to be adjusted every 6,000 miles or you could have some serious trouble, and the oil needed to be changed every 3,000. Even though they are called air-cooled engines, the reality is that they are air AND oil cooled, so the oil has to be the right quality, fresh, and full.

But piece of junk? Hardly.

As for the Model 70, yeah, I'm a fan of them, too.
I don't have any extensive experience with them, but I have shot a few, and have not really had anything to criticize on them. I'm certainly not opposed to trying one. I gotta say, I LOVE the way model 70 actions feel. Can't really describe what it is, but they just FEEL great when cycling the action.

I was in a store the other day and fondled a M70 Coyote Special in 7mm-08. This particular rifle was the one with the skeletonized laminated stock. Surprisingly light, and very stiff. Barrel weight was what I consider ideal. If Winchester had put this one on a stainless action, it probably would have followed me home.

Anyone have any experience with the Coyotes? Are they generally shooters?

John
Nice shooting Jorge!
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'd personally be interested in your experiences that lead you to this conclusion on model 70's. All model 70's, or specific models?
thanks
Pat
Well....if you can get past the exposed, open trigger that won't adjust to 12 oz's, but also won't freeze up when the weather gets nasty; the 3 position safety that's too noisy and scares deer into the next county; external claw extractor, coned breech (that makes hand loaders pushing 75-80,000 psi in cases fired 12 times nervous but feeds everything smoothly)practically flawless CRF function (at least the pre 64's did) ......the "fact" that they don't shoot for shidt (LOL!)....then the M70's ain't half bad... smile

They are a manually operated machine and like anything else, not perfect; but IME I don't know of anything else more likely to go BOOM! for you when the chips are down, or the conditions get more vigorous than walking to a deer stand, or strolling from the truck to the shooting pad (unless it's a Mauser 98).

I notice the Kimber bolt actions are the CF darlings but if you look close enough they are nothing but a lightened M70 knock-off.

Personally I think they stopped making them in 1964 smile whistle but a tuned Classic is pretty close to original, and I haven't bumped into anything really any better for a hunting rifle.
Tuned that one, 375 too

[Linked Image]

Holds a minute of a feral cat @ 140 yards and works very good on any of our big game, from high stand, driven, stalked, ... kills 2 boars in a shot with pleasure, does'nt waste roe deer meat, no lack of power on running reds ...

Sometimes, I think i'd better sell it and go to a more rational gun safe, I won't go to Africa anymore and could stay on a .300 for anything else, but anytime I take it in my hands I think I'd better go on tuning and customizing it, refine some parts, engrave it more ... crazy

Jorge, your group is just impressive. shocked I don't use to punch paper but would like to shoot as well as you do.
Originally Posted by setch
Originally Posted by kutenay

First off, I think you guys all shoot way better than I can.

Kutenay...if you ever come across one of those BRNOs that you don't have the coin for or just don't need, give me a shout grin

I usually know where a few good old Brnos are and am finished buying hunting guns, at least bolt rifles.

I have been selling my collection for almost two years and just sold my matched pair of "std" ZG-47, "matte receiver" .30-06 rifles, both in 95ish% original condition.

I am now down to a matched pair of VERY cherry "polished receiver" ZGs in 9.3x62, both in top end synthetics and with Satterlee safeties by Martini Gunmakers. With these, I also have a VERY rare "polished receiver" ZG "carbine" in 7mm Mauser and with lovely Q-sawn wood. It is just now having a Gentry 3-pos. installed and will eventually go into a Micky Edge or maybe one of the "plastic handles" made in Oregon.

Yes, I will eventually sell these and am currently culling my remaining collection of P-64 Mod. 70s, a pair, very nice, in .300/.375, three of my .338WM rifles, the .264 "Westerner" and maybe some others. I am now at the age and have rather serious orthopaedic issues, where I will never use these and I have no heirs.

So, I HAVE helped people to find guns, some very rare ones, I am willing to do so, BUT, I am not capable of exporting them from here in Canada, to the USA. So, with that in mind, you are welcome to PM me and I shall do what I can to assist you in obtaining one of these outstanding rifles.

Note: The prices for these and especially, the small ring Brno 21/22 series rifles that preceded them have been rising recently and for a nice or rare specimen, a minty 9.3, for example, you can expect to pay as much, often more, than for a nice P-64-70 in the common chamberings.

HTH.
Not to mention there's no "Cottage Industry" focused on addressing the long list of 700 maladies, bolt handles, extractors and of course that wonderful safety not only fails on fire but looks like crap sticking out like a Hurst Shifter and won't even lock the bolt...
These model 70 threads crack me up. I don't know what's funnier, how great the 70 is, or the porsche. Give me a 700, and a car with a Hurst shifter. mtmuley
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Anyone have any experience with the Coyotes? Are they generally shooters?

John

I've got a Model 70 Coyote in .300 WSM that is a pretty doggone good shooter, and the action handles those short-fat WSM cases real well. Feeding is slick.

Also have a .375 H&H Model 70 that's new to me. I'll be pleased as all get out if I get it to shoot like Jorge's!

Guy

[Linked Image]

The biggest problem with all of this is that your load development which is 1/2 the fun of this rifle is complete!

Happened with my 6.5 X 55 Swede. Found a load that put 5 into a cloverleaf most all the time and quit looking for another recipe. Went on to another rifle, and Swede doesn't go to the range that often. My shame there.

Good work!
looks like crap sticking out like a Hurst Shifter and won't even lock the bolt...

laugh laugh laugh

The safety on my 660 looks even worse because I installed a NULA 2 position 3 function safety that sticks up more than the OEM safety. The rifle shoots great and is handy.
Are you bcd?
Gotta be you sure sound it.
>enjoy
I suppose I have led a sheltered life. I'm not sure I ever saw a Brno-47, must less owned one. If it is smother than the DWM 1909, I'm not sure I could stand it. The Browning Safaris are fine and I have some as well as a forerunner commercial FN. IMO they are ahead of the 70 (standard ctgs. and short magnums), but the 70 is not junk!

Never learned to love the 700, but a few of the older ones I had shot really tight groups. Seems like guys today buy them just for the action. Jack
That is a fine shooting 375 H+H you have there. As for Porsche, it a German Car, I dove German Cars for almost 30 years. Make friends with a good Mechanic that is all I have to say on that. These days I am less inclined to do endless load development. I had enough of that. Give me a rifle that feeds and extracts, all of them do and will keep bullets on a grapefruit out to reasonable ranges, I will go out and kill big game till the end of time. The rest of it is just splitting hairs. Then again I look at cars the same way, I just want to get from point a to point b in reasonable comfort and not pay for the frills. Nothing wrong with a Remington 700, if there was they would have never sold them in the numbers they did what is it 5 or 6 million of them since 1962?
Not to mention there's no "Cottage Industry" focused on addressing the long list of 700 maladies, bolt handles, extractors and of course that wonderful safety not only fails on fire but looks like crap sticking out like a Hurst Shifter and won't even lock the bolt...

Yeah jorg....the blueprints I see on here for Leggo Customs based on Rem 700's reads like a spec sheet for a NASA launch....they replace everything from bolt shrouds to recoil lugs, triggers to snaky firing pin springs, and then the fans tell you it's the Best Action for a custom rifle.....LOL! grin
Originally Posted by Tom264
Are you bcd?
Gotta be you sure sound it.
>enjoy

I'm sure you just made his day...
+1 smile
Originally Posted by jt402
I suppose I have led a sheltered life. I'm not sure I ever saw a Brno-47, must less owned one. If it is smother than the DWM 1909, I'm not sure I could stand it.

Ain't that the truth? I have several customs built on 1909 actions. My favorite for sure.
Originally Posted by ingwe
jorge: now you have confirmation from our contra-indicator.if Don says its junk, you know you are on to something good.... grin

Yep, good old don. He PM'd a member here a while back and basically scolded said member for complimenting me in the work I did on my 69 Plymouth roadrunner. Don had some very non nice words for my road runner, he felt it was important to correct this members unwarranted compliments to me.

He's really something, lol.

Nice shooting Jorge!

I've got a couple M70's that punch tight holes like that on paper. I think my best one is chambered in 300WBY.

Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'd personally be interested in your experiences that lead you to this conclusion on model 70's.
The resident dickhead has no experience with a decent rifle.. Jealousy, methinks - therefore, don't waste yer time..

Originally Posted by BobinNH

Yeah jorg....the blueprints I see on here for Leggo Customs based on Rem 700's reads like a spec sheet for a NASA launch....they replace everything from bolt shrouds to recoil lugs, triggers to snaky firing pin springs, and then the fans tell you it's the Best Action for a custom rifle.....LOL! grin
laugh laugh
© 24hourcampfire