Home
Posted By: shug22 Sako Shooters - 08/07/13
1st post so hope this is in the right section....

I just purchased a new Sako 85 Finnlight in 308 and curious as to what brand/type/grain ammo your Sako prefers? I will be using this gun mainly for whitetail hunting in AL, NE and OK. Majority of shots will be in the 100-300yd range.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Sako Shooters - 08/08/13
Don't have a SAKO (tho I really want a Finnlight in the Swede), but I'm gonna take a wild ass guess and say SAKO + .308 = shoot any and everything really well.

Good luck and enjoy that awesome rifle.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Sako Shooters - 08/08/13
Well I been shooting a Sako Hunter in 6. 5 x 55 for over 20 years now I have had it that long. As for you 308, its going shoot almost anything well enough to shoot white tails with. I suggest 165 gr Fusion. I been shooting 7mm RM 150 gr Fusions for seven seasons now. Works well on the white tails I have shot. And its reasonably priced to, lots of shooters report good accuracy and good performance on game.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Sako Shooters - 08/08/13
Hard to mess up a .308, What twist is it? Sierra GameKings are very accurate killers. My .308 was a rong range target gun,
RE-15, Varget and Amax's/ Matchkings
Posted By: Paul_C Re: Sako Shooters - 08/08/13
My Tikka T3 .308 (same barrel) shoots 165's better than 150's. I settled on Hornady SST's although admittedly my testing of different bullets was limited.
Posted By: davidsapp Re: Sako Shooters - 08/08/13
My finnlight 308 shoots very well with the Fusion 165s and the terminal performance is stellar.
Posted By: JDK Re: Sako Shooters - 08/08/13
My Sako Hunter is pretty finicky but shoots 150s of pretty much any flavor well. It stinks with heavier bullets.
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Sako Shooters - 08/08/13
May not be of any help, but I have a 75 in 25-06. When I bought it, I tried about 5-6 different kinds of ammo. It shot the Federal Premium NP the worst and it shot them right at an inch. The best was a winchester ballistic tip that shot right a half inch. I think you could just about pick what you wanted, then shoot it to make sure.
Posted By: blargon Re: Sako Shooters - 08/10/13
Originally Posted by shug22
1st post so hope this is in the right section....

I just purchased a new Sako 85 Finnlight in 308 and curious as to what brand/type/grain ammo your Sako prefers? I will be using this gun mainly for whitetail hunting in AL, NE and OK. Majority of shots will be in the 100-300yd range.

Thanks in advance!

44gr IMR 4895, 210M primer and a 165gr bullet always worked well in mine...
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Sako Shooters - 08/10/13
I suspect the weight and type of bullet will matter more than brand of brass.
© 24hourcampfire