Home
Looking for feed back on a ACCURATE 22 hornet bolt action ,that has a nice feel to it ,looking Ruger,Savage ,CZ? Suggestions ?
Not really my favorite looking, but the CZ hands down.
+1,,, cept I like the way CZ's look. Especially the FS527.
What's the old saying, opinions are like noses, everyone has one and most of them smell, so with that in mind JMHO........

[Linked Image]

You might consider a Cooper "Classic" model 38 in 22 hornet,

I've owned hornets in Browing low wall, Ruger, Browing Bolt, and Cooper. The Cooper was the most accurate of the hornets I've owned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the groups above were at 100 yds. off the bench fired from the Cooper pictured above.

I've not owned the Hornet in the CZ, but the CZ 550's that I've owned have been plenty accurate. A bud of mine just got back from a prairie dog shoot. He stated that the CZ 527 in 223 was his favorite.

If you're not married to the Hornet, a CZ 527 in a 221 Fireball or even a Remington 700 LVSF (if you can find one) is a nice mild and very accurate chambering that don't tear the bejesus out of small critters.

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 LVSF, 221 Fireball

I've found the 221 fireball to be a very easy to load for cartridge and you don't have the problem with the thin necks splitting as with the hornet. Plus should you get the small caliber bug, you can do a 17 mach IV or 17 fireball and a 20 VarTarg by necking the fireball brass up or down.

Once again, JMHO.

Best,

GWB

not a 43 Winchester. I inherited my dads and haven't worked on it yet, but there isn't any thing to write home about. nice basic rifle and you can get better for the collector market prices they bring.
My CZ527 is a tack driver. I modified one mag so I can shoot the 50 gr Hornady SPSX. Puts em into tiny little clover leafs.
The CZ's shoot pretty good (it eventually became a K-Horn), but a A-Bort Micro Medallion has been more accurate and is better for COAL as BC goes up.

Some of the Sako L46's, 75's and 78's are also worth noting.
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Looking for feed back on a ACCURATE 22 hornet bolt action ,that has a nice feel to it ,looking Ruger,Savage ,CZ? Suggestions ?

The only Savage/Hornet I ever owned was a Model 219 single-shot.

The Ruger 77/22H Sporter I had looked & felt great, but shot like suck.

The CZ-527 Lux Hornet, OTOH, shot like a laser, and looked good after the TG webs were removed & the magazine shortened for a flush fit (this was the pre-M1 M527 _ the M1 has the mods)

I like the Lux much better than the M527FS (Mannlicher) I had previously to it - the FS' stock looked like it was made of tan peanut butter (NO grain or color contrast); the Lux had a beautifuly figured stock & better checkering.

My CZ-527 went from this:

[Linked Image]

to this:

[Linked Image]

The above pics are not my Lux, though - the pics are from the forum member/gunsmith who did the dirty deed for me ( http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion.html ).

The most accurate one I ever had was an Anschutz. Also had .22s and a .222. I absolutely hated the rollover stock design and sold them all. But they were accurate. They are now available with an American style classic stock, but they are pricey.

The delightful looking Winchester 43 was least accurate. The Ruger is said to work well after a slight bolt modification. Sorry, not up on that change. Have not used a CZ. I do not like the magazine. They have a flush magazine model (M-1), but for .223 only.
I've never seen a ruger hornet that would shoot. Oh i've heard stories that they will, but saw those fall apart at the range more than once. I owned mine for about 2 months. If i were in your shoes i'd buy an older rem 700 in 222 and load down if ya just gotta have 2,600 fps.
So my theory on the .22 Hornet, after weighing all my options was, if I was only going to own one, it would be the best.

[Linked Image]

Anschutz 1733
I've owned 3. The Browning micro is hands down the best little rifle I've ever owned. It shoots Win 46gr hp and the Hornady 35gr into dime size groups with not farting around. When i started hand loading for it it took about 3 loads to find one that I could cover 5 shots with a dime.

I've also owned a couple savages that shot well, but need serious trigger work to be exceptional shooters like the browning.
Pre-64 model 70, mines very accurate and tough as a boot heel, wont fall apart at the range or in the field, fires 45 gr. TSX's at 2900 fps with Lil-Gun powder. smile

Gunner
I'm very happy with the looks and accuracy of my CZ 527. There was no load development - I simply dumped a max charge of Li'l Gun into a Remington case and seated a 40 gr V-max out as far as my modified magazine would let me.

[Linked Image]

I plan to have the trigger guard and magazine modification done eventually, but I'm happy with the rifle's appearance as is.

[Linked Image]
CZ or Browning. I own 2 CZ's in .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball. Am very satisfied with both, but carry and shoot the Hornet about 99 percent of the time. It is great crow medicine. AA1680 and a 40 grain VMax over CCI Small Rifle primers works best for me.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
CZ or Browning. I own 2 CZ's in .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball. Am very satisfied with both, but carry and shoot the Hornet about 99 percent of the time. It is great crow medicine. AA1680 and a 40 grain VMax over CCI Small Rifle primers works best for me.

FWIW,
I'm thinking my next "directed" rifle purchase is going to be a CZ 527 in the 221 Fireball. Finding one at a reasonable price will be the challenge.

Best,

GWB
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm very happy with the looks and accuracy of my CZ 527. There was no load development - I simply dumped a max charge of Li'l Gun into a Remington case and seated a 40 gr V-max out as far as my modified magazine would let me.

[Linked Image]

I plan to have the trigger guard and magazine modification done eventually, but I'm happy with the rifle's appearance as is.

[Linked Image]

My experience mirrors yours. When I received my 527 I only had some 50 gr SPSX's on hand. I loaded them up over 13 grains of Lil Gun in WW brass. First three shots were practically in one hole. Since the rifle came with two mags I modified one to fit these cartridges.

Since then, I have found the cartridge to be easy to load for and extremely accurate.

this is one rifle that won't be going anywhere, ever.
Cooper, Browning, CZ; just about anything but the Savage 25. Finally got the range of flyers cut down on mine (after a trip back to Savage). Yesterday, the magazine came apart and none available.
I have tried the Browning Micro, Savage 25, and the CZ 527. I got rid of the Browning and Savage.

The Browning's stock did not fit me and I was unable to get the trigger below 2 pounds. Frankly, when I had it out of it's stock it just looked cheap, especially the trigger arrangement. The receiver looked as if they had machined away as much as possible. I also had to send it back to Browning because the stock warped and they sent it back with a big dent. It fed rounds fine, but I never shot it.

I got the Savage 25 Walking Varminter and I had issues with it right away. The Accu-trigger adjusted down to 2.5 pounds, but no lower. I tried the Rifle Basix trigger and it would not adjust below 3 pounds without slam firing. The stock fit me better, but the whole rifle felt too heavy for a hornet. Unfortunately the bluing was mottled and the laminate stock was cracked. I ran some rounds through it to check the feeding and the only round which would feed were the Hornady 35 grain V-max. Winchester and Remington hollow points and soft points would not feed. I sent it back to Savage and they replaced the stock and reblued it. The feeding improved somewhat to allow the soft points to feed most of the time, but the hollow points it would not. I sold it without shooting it.

I now have a CZ 527 Lux which has the perfect weight IMHO for a hornet. The stock fits me well and I was able to replace a spring in the trigger to get the main trigger to 1 pound and the set trigger is set at 8 ounces. I am currently removing a bit of wood where the rear of the receiver was touching the stock and a bit along the barrel channel. I hope to have it ready to shoot and I am not selling this one before I shoot it.
bruinruin and z1r,

What did you do to the magazine to increase to overall length of the loaded rounds? How far out can you go?
I own the fifth Browning Micro Medallion in Hornet ever made. It is NEVER going to leave my gun safe. They only make it in Hunter grade now, but that's probably even better for a hunting gun, as the Medallion is a shiny little thing.
I had ruger and liked the gun but it shot ok I thought but other that had the ruger also seen how it shot and said theirs was not near as good , so guess I had a good one but it is gone. I now have rem 799 and it shoots every bit as good as a freinds cz , both shoot excellent!!
If you can get over the UGLY magazine the CZ 527 American is a tack driver.
Pretty dang happy with my CZ. I'm too lazy to edit and paste here so here's a link to mine on predatormasters.

http://www.predatormastersforums.co...in=267442&Number=2524175#Post2524175
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you're not married to the Hornet, a CZ 527 in a 221 Fireball or even a Remington 700 LVSF (if you can find one) is a nice mild and very accurate chambering that don't tear the bejesus out of small critters.

[Linked Image]

I've found the 221 fireball to be a very easy to load for cartridge and you don't have the problem with the thin necks splitting as with the hornet. Plus should you get the small caliber bug, you can do a 17 mach IV or 17 fireball and a 20 VarTarg by necking the fireball brass up or down.

Once again, JMHO.

Best,

GWB

Good advice GeeDub,,, course you cold always make that a M38 in 17 Ackley "Hornet",,,
[Linked Image]

and convert that 221 to a 17FB (with mag conversion for all the magazine haters).
[Linked Image]

Then you'd really have something smile

There is a plastic spacer in the mag. Disassemble, file the spacer til the cartridge fit and has a smidge of room. Reassemble. Length? Just long enough for my cartridge to fit. Remember, these have a 16" twist. Long bullets will not stabilize.
What's the old saying, opinions are like noses, everyone has one and most of them smell, so with that in mind JMHO........

[Linked Image]

I've owned hornets in Browing low wall, Ruger, Browing Bolt, and Cooper. The Cooper was the most accurate of the hornets I've owned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the groups above were at 100 yds. off the bench fired from the Cooper pictured above.

I've not owned the Hornet in the CZ, but the CZ 550's that I've owned have been plenty accurate. A bud of mine just got back from a prairie dog shoot. He stated that the CZ 527 in 223 was his favorite.

[Linked Image]

Once again, JMHO.

Best,

GWB

Alright geedubya, what's that ring-tailed uncoon looking thang that you have kilt and stuffed?
Some call them a Cacomistle.

We call them ring-tail cats.

Best,

GWB
thanks.
I've long been a small caliber fan.........

[Linked Image]

and have loaded for a few different chamberings........

[Linked Image]

Slumming a 17AH

[Linked Image]

and have fondled and shot a few Coopers on occasion..........

17 HeBee

[Linked Image]

17 Mach IV

[Linked Image]

20 VarTarg

[Linked Image]

Tactical 20

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_9928_zps6ec9c884.jpg[/img]

222 Rem.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_9927_zpsd888fe82.jpg[/img]

223 Rem.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_0835_zps728458c3.jpg[/img]

22-250 Rem.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_9784_zps0c3dfe93.jpg[/img]

It's all Todd Kindler's fault. LOL

Best,

GWB

I have always wanted to own a Sako 78. I've just never had an opportunity to buy one when I had the money to do so.

Maybe one of these days...
CT, how 'bout busting a Tennessee pig with a pre-64 super-grade in 22 Hornet?

Has an old long tube M8 4X Leupold, the 45 gr. TSX's at 2900 are little bruisers, I'll bring it if ya wanna shoot it next spring.

Gunner
I wouldn't be "Afeered". It has much more class than my old H&R Hornet.

Tide Jr. has already cornered me about the pig hunt this spring. He's looking forward to it for sure.

FWIW,
I'm thinking my next "directed" rifle purchase is going to be a CZ 527 in the 221 Fireball. Finding one at a reasonable price will be the challenge.

Best,

GWB

You already have the 20 VT. What will the Fireball get you that the VT will not? My next one will be the VT thanks to you and Todd.

You already have the 20 VT. What will the Fireball get you that the VT will not? My next one will be the VT thanks to you and Todd.

Not a thing other than one more rifle.

Its an addiction.

I often say, I'm just one rifle away from being satisfied.

Best,

GWB
Yeah. Afflicted here also. Got it.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I wouldn't be "Afeered". It has much more class than my old H&R Hornet.

Tide Jr. has already cornered me about the pig hunt this spring. He's looking forward to it for sure.

Screw class Brudda, these are huntin' irons. wink

Gunner
I'm a big fan of small-caliber rifles, and the CZ 527s in particular. I've only got four, but they are a ball to shoot and play around with. I've got a .17 Hornet (new) a .22 Hornet, a .221 Fireball and a .204, and all shoot pretty well, the Fireball in particular is a tackdriving little rascal. Other than schitty Remington brass, it's may be my favorite (I bought some Nosler cases for it, Remington cases split necks WAY too often to make me happy). The Fireball is a ball to shoot at prairie dogs, and they can't tell it's not a larger case throwing the bullets, either.
The Hornets haven't drawn blood yet, but the .204 has never missed a shot taken with it, so it rates really high in my book, too.

I wish CZ had made some .17 Fireballs and .20 Vartargs on the 527, but they haven't done so, even with a LOT of pleading from some of us.

I think my next rifle will be a Deuce, just because I've never heard of one shooting poorly, they may be out there, but I've never heard of one.
.223s bore me, so I'll probably skip those, even though the M1 variation is calling me pretty hard.
I REALLY like that little 527 action, in case you can't tell........................
Speaking of CZ the 452 in 22 LR I own is a tack driver
I'll be the odd man out and suggest a salvage:

[Linked Image]

I like mine ... a lot. certainly not in the same league as a cooper, but not in the same price league either. no flies on a CZ, I've got two of them in rimfires that are great shooters (albeit w/ crappy stock triggers).

what I like about this gun is that it works right out of the box. trigger is a little more than 2 lbs. load development consisted of using 12-13 g lil' gun and any 40 g bullet. easy.
I have a Browning and it is very accurate for my use.. If I were buying again the Browning is a nice light little rifle, but I think I would spring for a CZ..
Just curious what are the savages going for ,ballpark
I'm even more odd man out ... I like my Ruger VHZ .... I've had one CZ wasn't impressed, esp. with all the hype. It was good but not as accurate as my 77/22's.
VHZ is that a heavy barrel ?
Don,t over look the browning micro-medillion in 22 hornet.I have three 22 hornets,Ruger VHZ,CZ and browning.IMHO the browning and CZ are neck in neck in accuracy.coobie
Hornets headspace their rim and that's a schitty way to conduct business...especially given the fact that OEM chambers are sloppy to boot.

Happiness is a 77/22 Hornet setback,punched K and lopped to 20",fueled with 296 and Baby V-Max kissin' lands from the rotary mag(32,33 and 35's in order of preference).

The capacity increase is nice(understatement),as is the ability to headspace a real shoulder(re-understatement) and the Precision/Performance after the fact,will reliably blow minds.

They is THE Consumate Sleeper and I've a herd.

Hint.

I haven't attempted the reloading scene yet so wildcats are out for now
Originally Posted by Boxer
Hornets headspace their rim and that's a schitty way to conduct business...especially given the fact that OEM chambers are sloppy to boot.

Happiness is a 77/22 Hornet setback,punched K and lopped to 20",fueled with 296 and Baby V-Max kissin' lands from the rotary mag(32,33 and 35's in order of preference).

The capacity increase is nice(understatement),as is the ability to headspace a real shoulder(re-understatement) and the Precision/Performance after the fact,will reliably blow minds.

They is THE Consumate Sleeper and I've a herd.

Hint.

Assuming you're starting with the heavy/varmint Ruger in Hornet? I think those come 24inches factory fresh with the lam stock. Others are 20?
"lopped to 20"
bump
Seven years and change.............

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Cooper Model 38's still float my boat!

Top to Bottom, 22 Hornet (Serial # VR1), 19 Calhoon (19-22 hornet), 17 Ackley Hornet

ya!

GWB

Seven years and change.............

Cooper Model 38's still float my boat!

Top to Bottom, 17 Ackley Hornet, 19 Calhoon (19-22 hornet), 22 Hornet.

ya!

GWB

Quite the change. Who are trying to type like?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Why do Texans even try to talk rifles?

Hint.
I was working at a large sporting goods store when the Ruger 77 Hornet came out. One of my customers bought the first one to hit our store. He came back a couple days later with a 100 yard target. His first reload with Sierra 45 grain Hornets went just under 1/2 inch. And he shot several five shot groups, all the same, falling right at 1/2" to make sure it wasn't a fluke. He was quite smitten with that gun. He went on to carry it as a truck gun on his ranch for years, and killed a lot of coyotes with it.

My first few weeks in Alaska I stumbled onto a left handed Cooper in 22 Hornet. That is one of the guns I truly regret not buying on the spot. I was working a week on/week off schedule and was due back at work the next day. I decided if it was there when I got off the next week I'd grab it. Big mistake. Should have snapped it up that day. It was gone when I went back.

My Hornet is a Savage 219. A classic but not a Cooper.
Originally Posted by Boxer

Quite the change. Who are trying to type like?

Funny you should post that question after all these years we've gone back and forth.

I'd been "Geedubya" for 8 years before "Boxer/Busheler/Big Stick came over to Accurate Reloading and blew up the place with something like 700 posts in 36 hours before you were permanently banned.

My style of posting is the same as always......... Pictures or it did not happen.

If you recall, I am the author of the "Haybale and Crockett Chronicles" and do much of my killing (as opposed to shooting paper) at the Petting Zoo, employing Golf Carts,

behind gates, dont'cha know!

To boot, since 2014, I've held this ARAIG Ingram hostage here in Texas!

My "Western Hunter Starter Pack" courtesy of ShortActionSmoker. 87 Gr. Hornady, blue tape for muzzle, McSwirly Crayon for stock painting, and Ingram!

Just Sayin'

ya!

GWB

ZKW465
Anschutz 1432 (left), Anschutz 1433 (right).

[Linked Image]

Thanksgiving week

[Linked Image]

My interests are walk-about, not bench or limits-of-range shooting prairie dogs with these. 3/8” at 50yds, good enough. And if wanted a current production 22 hornet for similar duty, personally the cz 527 (descendant of jstuart’s ZKW465) would be my choice. Similarly scaled down just a tad, just right.
I am surprised this post has still got life in it I don’t think I ever mentioned but I did buy a CZ 527 have yet to shoot it
Wouldn't mind and Annie F/S. Be Well, RZ.
If I could afford it, an Anschutz, otherwise the CZ. The Savage seems too spendy for what you get, but the older SS is interesting.

The Hornet is tailor-made for a single-shot. Lets you seat them out without futzing around with magazine mods. My little Browning would be the very last rifle I’d let go if it ever came to such a pass.
© 24hourcampfire