Home
My new, slightly modified Browning A-Bolt surprised me. On our calibrated food scale here at the house, combined weight (unloaded with mounted scope and sling) came in at 7.21lb. Weighed all but the aluminum Weaver bases separately @ 1.22lb. Bringing the naked weight to right at 6lb even. Factory wood stock with shortened OEM 21" barrel and 13" LOP (3/4in shorter).
7lb 6oz sans rounds in the mag.

Old M70 in an Edge and a Rock #2, Talleys, 6x42.

Ain't a fly weigh, but plenty handy.
7.5 with 6x42 and Talleys.

Travis
The scope and steel rings I have temporarily mounted, alone weigh more than a pound @ 17.4oz!!! I can easily shave enough weight to get under a 7lb loaded carry weight just by switching scope and mounting system.
My old M70 with #1 Krieger, pre 64 FW action and BM, Brown Pound'r,and 6X Leupold used to go 6 lb 14 oz.....it gained a bit of weight with the new Brux "0" contour, which has a slightly different profile than the old Krieger. I think it's a bit over 7 now but have not bothered to weigh it.
[Linked Image]
6lbs, 15oz with scope. Rem 700 7x57, VX-2 2-7x.

[Linked Image]
260 Rem Montana, cerakoted, Talley LW mounts and 2.5-8x scope.

6lb 2oz.

Some lovely rifles here.

Cheers, Chris
I have several right now that are right at 7 3/4 lbs. Pre 64 M70s, mcm edge,talley lwts and swaro Z3 scopes.
I'll have to get a pic of mine on the scale I guess
338-06

[Linked Image]

7x57 with full metal appendages and dense walnut, throw another 12 oz in for the scope/mounts.

[Linked Image]

This 35 Whelen goes 7 # 7 oz.

[Linked Image]

None ultralights but all effective.
My ULA .284 Win with 2.5x8 Leupold weighs 5.8 lbs.

My Kimber 308 will weigh 5 lbs 15 oz including Talley Lightweight mounts with a Leupold 2.5-8X36 scope on it. I currently have a Zeiss on it bringing up the weight up to 6 1/4 lbs.

My FWT 30-06 in an Edge with a VX-2 3-9X40 is 7.5 lbs

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I only weigh mine hunt ready (all up). That's loaded, scoped, & with sling. ( I use a sling)

This Tikka is +/- 7.25 HUNT READY. That's the weight you carry while hunting.
[Linked Image]

About 7.5 maybe a hair less.
Rem 700 TI .308 leupold DD's and leupold 2.5x8

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jwall
[Linked Image]

I only weigh mine hunt ready (all up). That's loaded, scoped, & with sling. ( I use a sling)

This Tikka is +/- 7.25 HUNT READY. That's the weight you carry while hunting.

Exactly!!! That's what I'm shooting for (pun intented.....LOL!!!), a 7lb total carry weight with a different scope and mounts, should get me there. If not, damn close!!!
700 mtn SS 270 (with B&C stock), talleys and 3.5x10 vxlll is about 7lb 3 ounces, empty.
Model 7 CDL with factory wood, 2 piece steel Leopold bases and rings, Monarch 2-7x32 weighed in @ 6-13, with no sling or ammo. I had Redneck screw in a new SPS take-off barrel and cut it back to 22". That barrel change bumped the weight up by 8 oz. for a total of 7lbs,5oz. empty and without sling.

I've considered going with a lighter stock, but the factory wood only weighs 29.5 oz and the only lighter choices are well out of my price range.
Montana .308 is lightest at 5lbs 14oz. Several more that are between 6 and 6.5lbs (no sling or ammo in any of these). I think my heaviest (hunting) rifle is 8lbs scoped (.375).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's mine, a 257 Wby:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[quote=JCMCUBIC]
I think my heaviest (hunting) rifle is 8lbs scoped (.375).

.... I DON'T want a 375 HH under 8#.

My NULA in 7-08 with a 6x36 Leupold and Alumina caps goes 5lbs. 15oz. Of course I bought it because I wanted a light rifle, especially as I am a seriously senior citizen. I was interested to discover, however, that after carrying an 8lb. 6oz. 30-06 for 10 days of a plains game hunt in Africa, I never once thought, "Damn, this rifle is heavy." Of course we weren't in the Rocky Mountains, but there was some up and down in the Eastern Cape.
Originally Posted by thin_man
[Linked Image]

Good lord, how is that even possible? What are the specs on that gun?
It's a Kimber Montana in 338 fed. The gun as it comes from the box weighed 4lbs 15oz. I added a titanium bolt knob just for kicks, mounted up a Leupold 6x36 in Talleys. She's a handful but far from unbearable. grin
wow, bet that is a joy to carry though. Nice setup.
Thank you sir. With 4 rounds and Blackhawk mountain sling it comes in a 6lb 1.5 oz. so yes, an easy carry.

The 185 TTSX does on number on the relatively small deer we have here, but I hope to put one through an elk next year.
Shown it before, but this 7mm-08 goes 6.75lbs scoped. The barrel is a .650" muzzle sporter contour, so balance is nice. 660 action, Edge stock, 3-9x33 VX2. It's my tag-along rifle.

[Linked Image]
THANKS GUYS -

The only thing I admire AS MUCH as a pretty woman is a LIGHT RIFLE.

Those are some SERIOUSLY nice rifles.
My lightweights go 5 lbs and 6.6 lbs. The lighter is a Rossi m92 trapper chambered in .357 mag. and the heavier is a 94 Winchester .30-30. Both wear receiver sights which are completely adequate for me and the hunting I do. Both are also much handier to carry than any FAT, scoped bolt action, regardless of weight. Carrying any of my scoped bolt actions for a few days makes me despise the fat profile and ponderous sighting equipment.
Good Luck

Each to his own.
Aside from my Savage 1899 carbines, my lightest-weight bolt gun is a 98 Mauser .30/06. 24" barrel, DST's, skimpy Euro-style stock, Lyman receiver sight- 6� pounds. Add 3/4 pound when I slip its 2�X scope in a G&H QD sidemount onto it. The light weight and narrow butt plate makes it a holy terror to shoot with full power loads, so it gets loaded down a bit.
This thing is a dream to carry high in the Rockies. Shoots real good too!

[Linked Image]
prm -

Ya gotta a larger pic of whole rifle?

What we can see looks good.
Kimber .280AI with Talley LWs, Leupold 3.5-10x40 CDS, and BC flip-ups.
[Linked Image]
Here ya go. Kimber Montana, 338 Federal, VX2 3-9 w/CDS, Talleys, and an aluminum trigger guard. Critters don't go far with this thing. The more I use it, the more I like it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That wouldn't be bad lookin' if it had a walnut stock, an exposed hammer, a lever and a tube magazine.
ULA .260 with 3-9 Conquest is sub 6lb. Love that rifle.
prm -

Thnx. I like the first pic better.

I don't like the second pic..... because it's not MY rifle laying on that elk. laugh
Here is a WIP photo of my 9,3x62 that finished out at a scant 6.5 lbs with Lyman #35 Peep sight and 26" barrel.

[Linked Image]
M70 with Edge in .30-06 weighed in at 7lb 11oz with nylon speed sling and 5 rounds of 165 grain ammunition. It weighed 7lb 1oz with just the scope.

[Linked Image]

M70 with Edge again .338-06 weighs 8lb 9oz with nylon speed sling and 6 rounds of 200 grain ammunition. Forgot to weigh it naked.

[Linked Image]

Fellow lightweight rifle carriers;

Here's mine;
[Linked Image]

98 military action, .270 Featherweight 22" barrel, 6x Leupold Compact, Wildcat Composites 20oz stock.
[Linked Image]

Thanks all for sharing your flyweight rifles and good luck to you all this season using them.

Regards,
Dwayne
Damn it boys...........Figured this would be a popular thread when I started it!!!!!

In the face of so many excellent but expensive, custom/semi custom built, synthetic stocked lightweight rifles, I'll consider myself in esteemed company having a factory wood stock rifle if it winds up at 7lb. or less carry weight. Wonder how much weight an Edge or B&C Medalist UL would save vs. walnut?...............Regardless, I'm not gonna worry on it unless the time comes where I get drawn for a Rocky Mt. big game hunt.
Ought-six Skeletor [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

250 Ackley
[Linked Image]

Kimber 243 and Kimber 257 Roberts ~6.50zs

grin

This one goes 6 lb 14 oz as it sits. Weatherby 7mm-08, Talleys and 2x7 Leupy sitting in a B&C stock. Have a Rem 600 in 7-08 sitting in an Edge stock and 21" tube that goes about 8 oz less and a Weatherby ULW w/Talleys and Leupy 3x9 that goes 7 lbs on the nose

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by z1r
Here is a WIP photo of my 9,3x62 that finished out at a scant 6.5 lbs with Lyman #35 Peep sight and 26" barrel.

[Linked Image]

That's pretty, how is that to shoot in 9.3 at that weight eek

Blackheart, I like the leverguns myself but Marlins, your comments though are much to be desired
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
6lbs, 15oz with scope. Rem 700 7x57, VX-2 2-7x.

[Linked Image]

If I re-barrel skeletor it's gonna be 7x57...
I've had some really light rifles in the past, a couple original Ti's and Montanas but these are the two lightest I have right now.

Rem 700 with 23" Shilen #2 in 280AI, MR EDge handle, 3.5-10X Leupy in plain old Leupy mounts.
7lbs 4 ounces
[Linked Image]

1949 Model 70 action,23" #3 Shilen recontoured to resemble a Douglas, Micky Hunter's Edge, 3.5-10X Leupy in Dual Dovetails, 35 Whelen
7lbs 11 ounces

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by z1r

[Linked Image]

That's pretty, how is that to shoot in 9.3 at that weight eek

Blackheart, I like the leverguns myself but Marlins, your comments though are much to be desired

Recoil of course is worse at the bench than in the field. Still, not difficult to shoot.

The worst (most painful) rifle I ever shot was a Ruger 77 MkI that was also chambered in 9,3x62. That one had a shorter 22" barrel but went about 8.5 lbs scoped. Kicked so bad that three shots and I was done. Previous owner had a recoil pad installed and simply cut the butt perpendicular to the bore line. No pitch. The toe would dig in with each shot. Much better after the pitch was adjusted.

Next worst rifle is an 1894 Winchester made in 1904. The crescent butt plate is a pain, literally, even with the mild .30-30. Still, I love the rifle so I tolerate it. I suppose it isn't even that it's actually painful as much as it just gets your attention more than you know a .30-30 should. I suppose the brain just knows it isn't right, lol.

Lotsa nice rifles in this thread.

6 lbs 9 ozs .....Tikka Super light T3 30-06 Sprg .....McMillan Edge, Talleys,3.5X10X40 Leupold grin

[Linked Image]
My 444 at just a few ounces under #8.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
My 444 at just a few ounces under #8.

[Linked Image]

That's your 'lightest', holy moly. Just a reaction, not being critical.
Well it's a feather compared to this hunk of iron! cry grin

[Linked Image]
grin grin
7.5 lbs

[Linked Image]

lightest boltguns i carry much come in at an ounce or 2 over 6#.

i hunt with quite a few TC carbines that are a good bit lighter...my .375winchester is at the 5-1/2# range scoped, and a couple of my carbines with ghost ring sights are well under 5#.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
lightest boltguns i carry much come in at an ounce or 2 over 6#.

i hunt with quite a few TC carbines that are a good bit lighter...my .375winchester is at the 5-1/2# range scoped, and a couple of my carbines with ghost ring sights are well under 5#.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CHEATER!!!!!
The lightest Rifle I have is a Brno 7x57 with a 3-9 Vari-X II I inherited from my grandfather.
With a sling it weighs in at 8lb 0.8oz. Not super light, but it works for me.
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
My .375winchester

[Linked Image]

Love the .375W.

DMc
Personally,

I'm more concerned with function and balance than weight.

Consequently, I don't weigh my rifles so I have no idea.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Personally,

I'm more concerned with function and balance than weight.

Consequently, I don't weigh my rifles so I have no idea.

J M -

I used to be the same way.

BUTTT in 1981 Win brought out the 70 FTWT. First of all I fell in love with the stock!!

Second I HANDLED one in a store, OOOPS it followed me home.

That began my unquenchable thirst for 'light' rifles.

Be CAREFUL or you'll suffer the same malady.

LOL. I bet I will. I just haven't fooled around with them much.

A little weight helps me shoot better offhand and with a sling.
This M70EW with McMillan Edge VX3 3.5-10 weighs in at 7.75lbs loaded.

[Linked Image]

I haven't weighed this Husky HVA with M8 4x Leupold but I'm thinking it will be lighter than the M70.

[Linked Image]

My Ti 30-06 is 5# 2 oz - 5# 14 oz scoped (lw shroud, aluminum tg, extended talleys and a 2-7 Leupold and alumina caps)

My Kimber Montana 308 is about 4# 14oz - 5# 10 oz scoped (same scope and caps, aluminum tg, Ti bolt handle and talley lows)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1950 Brno model 21 in 7x64 at 7lbs 13 1/2 oz.
On the scale, before and after new scope. New rings and bases should shave another couple ounces. Won't make it below 7lb carry weight, even with new mounting hardware cause I went with the Minox instead of a 3oz lighter Leupold. Oh well, an Ultralight B&C Medalist would get me well below that if it's ever needed, so I'm not complaining!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]r

Originally Posted by John_in_MS
On the scale, before and after new scope. New rings and bases should shave another couple ounces. Won't make it below 7lb carry weight, even with new mounting hardware cause I went with the Minox instead of a 3oz lighter Leupold. Oh well, an Ultralight B&C Medalist would get me well below that if it's ever needed, so I'm not complaining!!!

[Linked Image]

Is that an A Bolt?

[Linked Image]r

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Add 11oz for scope and mounts. Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 FWT, 30-06. McMillan Compact pattern stock, standard fill with 1" Decelerator pad. Could it have been lighter? Sure. Do I care? No. grin
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Originally Posted by John_in_MS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that an A-Bolt???

Why yes it is!!! Same one as below:

[Linked Image]
Sako 75 custom .260, EDGE, VX3 2.5-8, 7lbs 2 oz

[Linked Image]
Nice, I lot about those guns.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Nice, I LOVE my new rifle BSA so graciously sold to me.

That's good Matt. It weighs in at 7 3/4 pounds all up and ready to slay critters. It's accurate as hell and will be going to a good home:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tikka T3 270. Minox Z5 2-10x40. Mountain sling. 4 rounds. Brown Kevlar pound'r, basically unfinished, with foam pad. 7# 1oz...will lose 3oz with the FXIII 6x42 and Talley UL that are normally on it.

[Linked Image]
My lightest is a STS Remmy Seven, with a fluted PTG bolt, alum. shroud, 22" Mtn. Rifle Gaillard tube, Micky Edge KS, and action slabbed, printed and all that stuff.

It had Talley alloy unit rings, I don't like them and changed to the steel 1-pce. Talley QD and screwlock rings, my favourite of many mounts. I currently have a Leupy 2x7 on and it all weighs 6 lbs 4 oz and the handling and balance are superb.

This piece was built here in BC, by two of the half dozen GOOD smiths we have here that I will now use and was the personal "sheep rifle" for one of them. He recently told me how he regrets selling it and I told him that when I quit this obsession as age and old injuries seem to be bringing on and sell all of my far too many guns, he has "dibs" in it.

Another very light one (6-12) is a Classic short Mod. 70, STS, slabbed, printed,etc, by one of Ralf Martini's former workers at Ralf's shop, 22" tube, Micky Edge Fwt. handle, 308Win. It wears Talley QDs, Brockman peep, front Sourdough and older Leupy "short" 1.75x6 HD. This, was built for a good friend of mine and came to me for a fraction of it's value and I had the sights done.....this rifle will be with me until I die and will then be willed to the guy from whom I bought it for his son.

Still another is a HVA "steel" action, Bansner, Kreiger Fwt., Talley One Piece, to be changed to QDs, Gun-Koted, .280 Rem. and about 7lbs. with the temporary Leupy 1.75x6, stolen from my also quite light Dakota 76-.338WM, it's spare scope. It goes about 7 on the nose and balances very well with the tube at 23"-.560" MD.

I have about ten others, on Brno 21, HVA and P-64 actions, .270Win., .280 Rem. 7x57 and .30-06, that are all in good synthetics and weigh UNDER 8 lbs. scoped. These carry well and are what I consider "standard" hunting rifles for BC.

My "light" bigger rifles are a factory-original Brno ZG-47, Satterlee safety, Micky MKX Edge stock, by Martini's and it goes about 8 lbs, with Talley QDs and Zeiss Conquest 4x. This, is one of the neatest rifles I have ever owned, handled or even looked at and it WILL shoot. I am lucky in that I found a mate to it, from a friend, for half the market price and had Satterlee, Borden-Rimrock installed and it is a little heavier, unfired, as yet as I need the Talleys and scope...and, am broke for awhile! smile

There are scads of "donnor" HVA rifles out there and with some care, a guy can build a 7 lb. CRF rifle in .270, .280,.30-06 or even .338-06, .35 Whelen, wearing a Leupy 4x, nylon sling and ready to kick some Elk ass, for about 2K. I much prefer such rifles to the various "light" offerings available today and the only issue here in BC is the very few GOOD smiths and the TIME they take to finish a given project.

BTW, I HATE "JStuart" as that Aussie, has the mate to my one Brno 21 "roundbolt" AND the SOB found it in 7x64B!!! I ALWAYS knew there was something about those mates "daown undah"!!!!! smile
Since many like to post the weight of there rifle not ready to hunt I decided to do the same......

My rifle is only 3.8 lbs minus the barrel. laugh

Shod
My birthday rifle......Marlin 336 Texan .30-30 made the same month and year I was born.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Shod
Since many like to post the weight of there rifle not ready to hunt I decided to do the same......

My rifle is only 3.8 lbs minus the barrel. laugh

Shod

YES ! !

The ONLY weight that matters is the weight you're carrying when HUNTING!!

It doesn't matter if your rifle weighs 20 POUNDS or 2 pounds sitting in the house or safe.
So far weight hasn't been a very important factor in the rifles I use. It is more about balance. I have a couple of Remington Model 7's, one in 338 Fed and the other in 260 Rem. I don't want to weigh them because I like them the way they are now and I'm afraid that they both are heavier than I think they are.
Faux 260, my all time favorite.....
[Linked Image]
7 pounds flat.. Remington M600 action, bannister stock, PacNor #3 fluted bbl, Zeiss Divari 3x9

[Linked Image]
Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light Weight 30-06
6 lbs 9 oz with Talley Light weights and
a Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32 Heavy Duplex
Originally Posted by djpepper
Tikka T3 270. Minox Z5 2-10x40. Mountain sling. 4 rounds. Brown Kevlar pound'r, basically unfinished, with foam pad. 7# 1oz...will lose 3oz with the FXIII 6x42 and Talley UL that are normally on it.

[Linked Image]

Nice gun. Is Brown now making Tikka stocks, or is this something else that was modified?
If you have to ask, yer a puzzy. smile
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Nice gun. Is Brown now making Tikka stocks, or is this something else that was modified?

The Brown was modified. I think it started life as a Rem 700 LA...then I fit it to a Dakota 97, then a Weatherby MkV UL...both with blind magazine. The Weatherby Mk V 6 lug and a light stock (18oz) is lighter than a Kimber 84L Montana.

The Tikka isn't a perfect fit, as the angle between the action and bottom metal is steeper...but it is close enough for me. I built it up a little and made sure the magazine functions. Pretty simple stuff...if you can mix 2 part epoxy, you can probably figure it out.

Brown won't be making them for Tikka from their response to me. I'd figure the closest inlet for the DIYer would be a Sako.
I have several that are 5.5-6.5 w/o scope. To me a LW rifle should be ~6lbs with mts but no scope.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/docdisaster/005.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/docdisaster/006.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/docdisaster/007.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/docdisaster/008.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/docdisaster/013.jpg
this is for sale.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/docdisaster/001.jpg
NOT
© 24hourcampfire