Home
We have some young blood in our hunting camp and one guy shoots the old school 7x57 with new school bullets and velocity. A while back he read somewhere that Nosler toughened up the 120 grain Ballistic Tip and found out his 7x57 shoots them very well.

After witnessing his kills on Mule deer, Whitetail, Antelope and hogs, I am all most convinced to give the BT's a go, however he is an example of one.

Who uses the 120 grain BT on big game?
Love them in my7mm-08 at just under 3k fps mv.
My family (wife, kids, grandkids) have used them in our 7mm-08s for many years. We have shot lots of mule deer, Coues whitetails, and pronghorns with them and have never found a reason to try something else. A couple of the kids and my wife have moved on to other cartridges (she and the oldest grandson now shoot .280s, and the next oldest grandson a .270). I still load 120 BTs for five 7mm-08s.
To piggy back on this thread. I have been contemplating using the 120 BT's in my Kid's 7x57. Anyone who uses these have a podwer/load recommendation (just for reference)?
Start with 48.0 H-4350. Hard to go wrong with that powder.
I use the 120 NBT out of a .280AI at over 3300 fps and they work famously. They should be great out of the 7x57 too.
Originally Posted by z1r
To piggy back on this thread. I have been contemplating using the 120 BT's in my Kid's 7x57. Anyone who uses these have a podwer/load recommendation (just for reference)?

I use IMR 4320 and 115 grain Speer HP for a good varmint load in the 7x57. Have a lot of IMR 4320 (it is the fuel for my 35 Whelen)on hand so will work up loads with it to start with.
I have never used the 120 gr. BTs on whitetails, but that will probably change this fall. They shoot fabulously out of my 7mm-8 at just a shade over 3000 fps.
12 to 14 years ago, I used them in a 7mm-08 on several KY White Tails... The result was dead deer. No misses. No second shots. No lost critters.
I've shot the 120 Btips at 3100 out of my WW. Featherweight Model 70 in 7x57 and they blow up in our little tiny whitetails. Pretty Dam Destructive. But DRT wink

Wouldn't recommend them on big Mulie's or Black Bears!
Hard to beat a 140 Partition for great all around hunting bullet in the 7x57.
Probably my all time favorite hunting caliber for anything up to Elk.

And it's not Gay like a .270 cool
My two hunting partners last fall both used the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. He was shooting a .280, she was using a 7mm-08.

They each took a mule deer buck and a pronghorn, with one shot apiece. Nice quick, clean kills too.

I was using a .25-06 with the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Managed to take a mulie buck and a pronghorn with one shot each as well.

Nothing wrong with Ballistic Tips as hunting bullets. Not at all. I think all of our shots exited as well. I know mine did.

Regards, Guy
I shoot the 140BT's out of my 7x57AI but sounds like the 120's do the same thing even w/ a thick jacket. How do the thickness of the two compare? powdr
They are supposedly the same jacket for both bullets, the 120's are just cut back, which makes them a shade thicker. They are pretty tough little pills.
The 120 BTs have worked great for me out of R#1 in 7x57 and R#77 in 284 Win. on mulies and speed goats.
jmho
Tim
I'm trying them this fall on pigs and deer out of a 7/08.

Nosler's max load of Big Game is giving me great velocity and good groups to 400 yards.

This rifle was bought to be a donor for a .260, but I made the mistake of shooting the donor.
Remind me to never donate a rifle to you! grin
Loaded those for 3-7mm-08s. They are plenty tough. IIRC, Dogzapper was shooting elk and moose with them out of an AI.

With Ramshot Big Game, 3150-3200fps was easy and accurate with a 22" 7mm-08--see Nosler's manual (they published for 26").

If your 7x57 isn't throated long, things gets real impressive on the fps side of thing with 120s...

Loaded my daughters 7-08 to 2850-2900ish and used Sierra 120s and the Hornady 120 flat nose for a little softer bullets on deer. She heart/lung shoots everything and we never recovered any.
Found comments by Dogzapper.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2835494/1

To summarize: I started using the Nosler .284" 120-grain Ballistic Tip several years ago. A friend of mine who worked at Nosler at the time told me that the bullet was a total flop with varmint hunters (duhhhhh ), but that the rifle metal silhouette shooters used a zillion of them.

Nosler got complaints from the rifle silhouette shooters because the bullet was too frangible to consistently tip over the 500 meter ram. Because the rifle silhouette use was seemingly the only market for the 7-120, Nosler made the jacket considerably heavier than the original design.

This change was intended to satisfy the silhouette shooters complaints, but an inintended consequence was that they unwittingly made one heck of a big game bullet.

The first I heard of it was my friend at Nosler was shooting California wild boars through both shoulders (both gristle plates) with the 120 in a 7-08. Full penetration and very dead pigs!!!

Please bear in mind that the silhouette story above is purely legend, but if you will split a 7-120, you will find the jacket is waaaay heavy. Actually, it resembles the .338 BTs, which are heavy and are sure killers on larger critters.

Down to your question, "What has Dogzapper shot with the 120s?" Answer: A bit of stuff.

I've killed a couple of 6X6 bull elk. Not big ones, but around 290 B&C and decent bodies for five year olds. One was shot from above, looking away at 375 yards, the bullet entered the spine behind the shoulder and was found under the hide of the chest. Expanded to .75" or so and the recovered bullet weighs about 100 grains (it's around here someplace and it's a big lead and copper ball.

Second bull was 400ish. Not to be fancy, I shot the bull through the center of the shoulder. The bullet broke both shouders and was recovered under the far hide. The bullet is identical to the first bull's bullet.

Both of these were killed with the 7-08 Ackley.

Other kills with the gun and bullet were a large Montana mule buck at way too close, peeking though a juniper tree at first light. Horns were big and so was he and I had to hit the only open thing I could see ... an eyeball. And I did.

Bullet went clear through the head and didn't break the skull. Exited leaving a one-inch hole.

Another Montana mulie was probably the largest-bodied mule I've ever shot in Montana. He was aged at 9 1/2 years in Great Falls game stop (by a PhD professor of big game). I knew the buck intimately and had not been able to kill him the three previous years. I caught him in a herd of over 100 does, with head low and his dick hanging out. Saw him at over 400 yards in the dusk and made a running open field stalk ... closed to 205 yards and shot him a little too high behind the shoulder. Spined him, dead right there, bullet fully penetrated leaving a 2" exit.

There's a few more deer with the 7-08 and some antelope, but the tale is always the same.

I've also used the 120 in the .280 Ackley @ 3,370 fps.

Shot a moose one morning with it. Range was 91 yards and the three year old dumbly stood in the middle of a farm two-track. I shot him under the chin, slightly to my right, trying to break the spine upon exit. One or both carotids were broken, C-2 vertabrae was totally missing and the bullet exited leaving a two-inch hole. For all I know, it may still be in low orbit of the earth.

Mickey Moose died right there.

I've shot many antelope with the bullet in the .280 Ackley. Ranges from 100 to over 500 yards. Nver missed a got with it and never shot twice. Total penetration from most any angle, except for one old and large buck that I shot fully in the chest and recovered the bullet (deadliest mushroom in the woods) right next to his bunghole. I guess you'd call it full-penetration of a goat, minus one-eighth inch.

Lotsa mule deer and whitetails. Normally full penetration. Don't remember ever recovering a bullet from a deer. Exits usually rin one to two inches.

You ask about maximum recommended impact velocity on deer and elk. Heck I don't know, I just go out there and kill stuff.

I don't know that I'd recommend it on elk of moose. I have a habit of hunting deer with the tags for big critters also in my pocket. I carry 120s and sometimes magic happens. If I was purposely hunting elk or mooses only, I'd probably up-bullet to a 139 Hornady Interlocked in both the 7SGLC and the .280 Ackely.

Or for really big stuff, like the Asian water buffalo I killed a couple of years ago, I used the 154 Hornady Interlocked in my .280. I severed both carotids and created a buffalo blood fountain that was quite beautiful.

Anyway, I've written way too much. Use it or don't, it's not a matter of honor or pride. I use the 120 and am not prejudiced and find it kills the schit out of stuff without ruining a lot of meat.

In truth, the 120 Ballistic is considerably "harder" and in my experience will out-penetrate the 140 Ballistic Tip.

I also find the 139 Hornady Interlocked (plain, cheap cup-n-core) to be one heck of a great bullet.

Those of us who love medium sized 7mm cartridges are truly blessed with a plethora of excellent big game bullets.

I'm tired of writing and have to get to church. Hope this helps.

Steve
I'm one of those guys who had bad experiences with early ballistic tips, and because of such have zero confidence in their performance on big game. After reading so much lately about how they have been beefed up, I may just give them a go again one day...
grinning...yeah, he may know something about the 120s...

out of the AI at 3370 might be fairly flat...:)
Great info. Thank you for passing it along. Might just have to get another 7mm to try em out!
Thanks to all for the info. I may be sharing a rifle with one of my boys this Fall and a 120 will be easy recoil wise on him just in case he should shoot.
Has anybody done any penetration tests with the 7mm 120 and 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets? Does the 120gn penetrate further than the 140gn, or the same amount?
I've heard the 120 penetrates better than the 140. Can anyone confirm this?
I can't. Prefer the 140s personally, as it appears to me they do more damage inside deer along the way to thin air. Am concerned with eating but not up to the hole...

FWIW, loading 120s down to 2800ish for the kids when they were young worked well for me.

Kill just as well and the recoil was not an issue.

I can't prove it but assumed the Sierras and the flat nose were "softer" and gave a little more indication of a hit at lower velocity than the 120NBT (boosts morale...:))

4 or 5 years ago took my 7-08 Mountain Rifle (the real one, BDL style, not DBM) to Wyoming. I killed my 3 antelope and brother in law grabbed it and killed his 2 does with it as well. All 5 were shot using 120 grain Ballistic Tips. Not a single bullet was recovered, pass throughs. Shots from 70 yards to 350 yards or so.
I've used the 120 Ballistic Tip in a 19" 7x57 carbine. 50 grs of H-414 gets me 2800 fps.

Two whitetail does have been shot with this load; one by my daughter at about 250 yds and one by me at around 200 yds.

I'm switching back to 154 grained bullets. The 120 BT's killed the deer but the 154's knocked them on their butts. Maybe at closer ranges the 120's do more damage at the higher velocities but at 200+ yds I'm not impressed enough to keep using them.

Dan
7mm-08, varget at 3050fps and they work great on deer and hogs
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I've used the 120 Ballistic Tip in a 19" 7x57 carbine. 50 grs of H-414 gets me 2800 fps.

Two whitetail does have been shot with this load; one by my daughter at about 250 yds and one by me at around 200 yds.

I'm switching back to 154 grained bullets. The 120 BT's killed the deer but the 154's knocked them on their butts. Maybe at closer ranges the 120's do more damage at the higher velocities but at 200+ yds I'm not impressed enough to keep using them.

Dan

154gr Hornadys rock!
Who has shot shoulders with them?
I cross sectioned a 120BT and 140BT to confirm and the jacket is thicker. My nephew borrowed my T3 7-08 and now it's his. All he uses is 120BT's on Montana mule deer.

I can only think of a few reasons to shoot deer in the shoulders..... I never have as dad taught me different.

different strokes....
not an shoulder shooter, but my kid ran one thru the top of the buck's shoulder/spine joint @30 yards--it destroyed all three and continued to parts unknown....:)
Mine did also, but then I leaned it ends things really quick and they usually stay in the same spot you shot them. Which does have a certain advantage. Additionally I prefer heart over hamburg shoulder meat. There is more than a little hamburg on a Deer and only one heart. smile

Which is why I try to have a different stroke.

Another commonly heard rule is shoot for the opposite shoulder. Why not also shoot for the one facing you when you can?
Originally Posted by PPosey

How many grains?

P
45 gr is max load and works great in most of the 7-08s I've loaded for.
I have shot deer shoulders without trying, they go through one rather well and will be found under the skin on the other side if pushed really hard.
Midsized deer shoulders that is
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by PPosey

How many grains?

P

45 grains varget and after that I start to get pressure signs, shoots well in 2 different rifles with the bullets setting way out the same, one at 3050fps and the other at 3100fps, I would not start with this load as half a grain over and one of my rifles starts cratering primers bad, it's the 3100fps one.
Thanks,
Originally Posted by battue
Mine did also, but then I leaned it ends things really quick and they usually stay in the same spot you shot them. Which does have a certain advantage. Additionally I prefer heart over hamburg shoulder meat. There is more than a little hamburg on a Deer and only one heart. smile

Another commonly heard rule is shoot for the opposite shoulder. Why not also shoot for the one facing you when you can?

battue,

Try shooting them at the front of the shoulder, at the junction of shoulder and neck, no lower than midway up. If the bullet is up to this placement, it will break both shoulder blades and shatter the spine. Talk about DRT! The 154 Hornadys excel at this, and just about any other shot placement. The 175s do too. I have enough of both to last my lifetime.
Originally Posted by battue

Always made a ton of sense to me... wink
Originally Posted by Elvis
Has anybody done any penetration tests with the 7mm 120 and 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets? Does the 120gn penetrate further than the 140gn, or the same amount?

Cant answer that. Every deer I ever shot THRU the shoulders with the 120 had 2 holes. Every one i shot IN the shoulder with the 140 looked like a bomb went off. If a 140 is desired use the 140NAB.
we used to shoot fast stepping 7x57s with 140 NPs and I definitely did not like the effect on deer. Too much wasted meat.

Here where I live a moderate velocity 160 or 175 is a better solution given typical shot distances.
© 24hourcampfire