Home
Figured this year I'd leave the scoped guns at home and have some iron-sight fun. Accordingly, I pulled this old rifle out of the safe: Ruger #1A 7x57. I put a Pachmayr red Decelerator pad and an NECG rear sight on it, and sighted it in this morning with some Prvi Partisan 175gr rounds I bought from Grafs years ago when they were $11.99 a box. grin Pretty darn good ammunition, after I got it sighted in I put 5 rounds into 1.5" at 50 yards. Not very impressive by most standards, but fine by me for a factory gold-bead front sight and a less than precise rear peep sight.

With the factory front sight I had to crank the NECG peep all the way down, and am still 2" high at 50 yards, which is alright for what I've got planned for this rifle this fall, but if I decide to go rifle-looney with it later this year I'll be needing a new front sight.

So, anybody else taking a single shot afield this fall? If so, hang a pic and tell us about it.

[Linked Image]
oh yeah, but nothing fancy like you. T/C encore in 35 whelen. Last couple years I've hunted the primitive and rifle seasons with it.

Dave
Don't know if I'll hunt with it or maybe Daughter #1, but this one is going to the range tomorrow to get zeroed for antelope hunting.

Ruger #1 in .280 Rem, on the right.

[Linked Image]

The one on the left is my Ruger 7mm RM, first and only big game bolt rifle for 20+ years. It may be going out again this year as well, maybe elk again if not antelope.

I really want a stainless #1 but my main deer rifle is a tc encore with a 26 inch 6.5 creedmoor barrel
I'll be using a .35Whelen #1 stainless and a Browning .45/70 85 for deer. Some others on other stuff.
that;s definately my dream gun, picked one up 30+ years ago in AK for sheep. what a beautiful rifle.
Maybe not what you had in mind, but here's probably the only thing I'll be hunting with this fall and it's a single shot.

Diamond Black Ice & Slick Tricks

[Linked Image]
Here's my Number 1 .460 S&W. Really looking forward to hunting with this instead of the 'ol 870. It's scary accurate.

[Linked Image]
Nice little 7X57mm there Oregon, I'll be hunting with three single shots this fall.

C Sharps 45-120
Shiloh Sharps 45-70
Zihn custom 8 Bore black powder rifle

Sorry, to dim witted to post pics.

Gunner
I'll be using a HandiRifle in 35 Whelen for the Mississippi early primitive weapons season. It's an ugly gun -- doesn't speak to anything else in my safe, but it's legal for that season on private lands for antlerless deer. It's my only gun that I've named. I call it, "Ugly but Sufficient."
Here is my dedicated elk rifle: Ruger No. 1-H in 9.3x74R. It now wears a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5X scope. Come October 12th, we'll be somewhere below the Flat Tops in the White River country of Colorado.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I'll be using a HandiRifle in 35 Whelen for the Mississippi early primitive weapons season. It's an ugly gun -- doesn't speak to anything else in my safe, but it's legal for that season on private lands for antlerless deer. e my only gun that I've named. I call it, "Ugly but Sufficient."

Had one of those Al, and you're correct they do be ugly. Mine shot great. Neighbor wanted it worse than I did...
[Linked Image]

Merkel stalking rifle in 270 Win
[Linked Image]

Savage M219 in .30-30 Win
Ruger #1 AH in 257 Roberts

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ruger #3 .45-70. Aftermarket walnut.
I'm not going to hunt with it this year, but here she is.
1A in 7x57.

[Linked Image]
looking to buy a 35 whelen. hope i can find a deal on an apex

My ML season deer gun's a .45 T/C Seneca:

[Linked Image]

My Squill eraser's a .22LR BSA Martini:

[Linked Image]

My varmint/predator rifle's a .22Hornet Savage 219B:

[Linked Image]

And when the whim hits me, I sometimes trot out this .410 converted to a .357/.38 Special Rook Rifle:

[Linked Image]

7 WSM

[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[/quote]
[Linked Image]
Ruger # 3 in .375 JDJ, hope to use this season. Scope is an old Leupold 4 X with a post reticle. Is very accurate with 285 gr. Grand Slams and IMR-4320.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice rig!
Did you have the finger lever opened at the end? CCH is a nice classic touch.
Originally Posted by joecool544
7 WSM

[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[/quote]

Along the same lines of the "single shot" rifles I'm seeing used in MS during the "primitive weapons" season.

That being said this is mine,

[Linked Image]
carbon12,
I bought it used (as is) so I am not sure about the lever. The story is the gun was modified by JDJ.

mudhen,
Thanks!
7x57R with 12ga back up for charging grouse. It's as close to a single shot that I have.

[Linked Image]

I'll be packing my Encore front stuffer for 10-12 days. My favorite time of the whole season.

[Linked Image]
No pics but I'll be hunting my cheap, ugly NEF single shot .444 during our 2 weeks of primitive arms seasons.
© 24hourcampfire