Home
Posted By: TnBigBore Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
Had a few rifles out the other night and started wondering what the best carrying rifle is. Seems to me like a Savage 99 or a Winchester 92 carries about as well and any rifle I know of. We worry alot about accuracy, reliability, range and looks, but rarely about how the rifle carries. For folks who cover lots of ground with rifle in hand it should be a real consideration I would think.
Posted By: Micro_Groove Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
I have always liked carrying a flat receiver like what's on a 336 or a 94. A couple models of 336 have an 18.5" barrel, like the 30TK for instance, and those seem to balance well for me.
Posted By: z1r Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
Have to agree that a non-scoped 99 carries pretty easily. Better than most.

My Marlin 336 carries pretty easily too, as does the 1894.

I have more than a few bolt actions that carry really nicely, only most of them are customs not factory rifles.

One of the easiest carrying rifles I have is my Mauser type "S" in 7x57. The Husqvarna 1640's with schnabel stock are pretty darn handy too.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
I vote for the Savage 99 with iron sights...
Posted By: VernAK Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
as mudhen says!
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
A 336 or 94 has been best in my hands. However that HVA you sold me is pretty handy and I plan on carrying it this fall in the woods.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
I'm with Mudhen....and love the way a Savage 99 points like it has eyes.

There are no flies on an original Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine, either.
Posted By: CLB Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
A 336 would be tough to beat. Not that they won't carry well, but I'm yet to see a 99 in the woods. Heavy buggers....
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/06/13
Some 99's are lighter and shoulder better than others. The first one I tried a DL in 308 didn't really fit, but an EG in 300 savage was a nice piece that fit me well. There seems to be so many different types of 99's out there I wouldn't rule them out until you've shoulder'd/tried out a few different ones.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
My first Deer Rifle was the Ted Williams Sears Model 1894 Carbine
in 30-30 lite AS A FEATHER! and handy as Hell in the thick swamps
and hills and hollows here in Alabama.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
A good friend has that exact rifle. Put a williams peep on the rear and it is one fine leveraction.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
i've got all of the above and for me my favorite is a 1922 remington model 14R carbine in 35 rem. 18.5" barrel, flat sides, straight grip stock. weighs about 7lbs and is about 39" long.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
The balance and weight of a Savage 99A with a Leupold 1x4 scope.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
My Ruger 358 Win is my current favorite. Well balanced, shoulders well and a pleasure to carry.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Another vote for the 99. Most any with a 20" to 24" bbl.
My favorite is a 20's era 99e in 250-3000.
Posted By: slabslapper Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Originally Posted by rem141r
i've got all of the above and for me my favorite is a 1922 remington model 14R carbine in 35 rem. 18.5" barrel, flat sides, straight grip stock. weighs about 7lbs and is about 39" long.

[Linked Image]

That rascal just looks right. Sweet rig.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
i like the way an AR balances
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I have an old Savage 99G take down with a Redfield receiver sight, carries like a dream, so do my 94 Winchesters, all of them wear Lyman peeps.

Gunner
Posted By: DMc Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13

[Linked Image]

WINNER!

DMc
Posted By: dfcjr Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I vote for a 1903 MS in 6.5x54
Posted By: z1r Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Some 99's are lighter and shoulder better than others. The first one I tried a DL in 308 didn't really fit, but an EG in 300 savage was a nice piece that fit me well. There seems to be so many different types of 99's out there I wouldn't rule them out until you've shoulder'd/tried out a few different ones.

I have to agree that my .300 EG carries easily and better still, points and shoots offhand like a dream. One of the easiest rifles I have to shoot offhand.

I don't know what model my scoped light weight .308 99 is but it also carries well and shoots easily offhand.
Posted By: DMc Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
No personal experience but this LOOKS like a "Contender" for this topic.

[Linked Image]

smile

DMc
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I really like carrying my "gray rat" Savage 99. Twenty four inch barrel, a Marble tang sight. All I added was a new recoil pad to make the length of pull right for me.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Best? Hmmm... Dunno. How about three favorites?

Ruger Numer One, not the 1B which always seems too bulky & heavy, but the 1H, or the smaller, lighter versions. The 1H .375 isn't the lightest rifle around, but it carries well for me.
[Linked Image]

Most Marlin 336 rifles & Winchester levers too.
[Linked Image]

Rem 700 CDL. The stock is thinned down just enough from the BDL that I really enjoy carrying and hunting with the CDL. Remington must have had me in mind when they came up with the CDL.
[Linked Image]

Those are three favorites. Not one.

Guy
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
While I like most of the Savage 99 family, some of the featherweight Savage 99's are simply awesome carry guns. An early 1899H is a joy to carry, the early 250-3000's, a 99H or a 1950's 99F are also all great.

And don't forget a Savage 1920!! Hate to toot it's horn and make more people interested in them, but they are sweeeeet.

Do like the Marlin 336's as well.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
My M94 Winchester is the easiest carrying, fastest handling, but I have others that are very comfortable..
Posted By: saj Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
My 64 win in 30-30 or my 99 f in 300 savage both have Williams receiver sights
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I'd opt for a Savage 99 also.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I always liked the Rem. 760 models although I have to admit I no longer own one. Little of my hunting now is in the woods so I choose to use bolt guns.

Jim
Posted By: ChipM Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I love the 336 myself but have some bolt guns that balance and carry nicely.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Originally Posted by GuyM
Ruger Numer One, not the 1B which always seems too bulky & heavy, but the 1H, or the smaller, lighter versions.

Yeah, the No. 1-S carries pretty good, too!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Thanks! I drew a blank on the 1S designation. Had one in .300 Win mag that was a good rifle.

Another one that I wish I'd kept... Sigh...
Posted By: kutenay Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I have, at one time or another, owned example(s) of almost every rifle mentioned here and many others as well. I carried a rifle, every day, months on end, seven long days per week, as a tool of my work in the BC and Alberta wilderness.

To me, the qualities of "carrying" ALSO really should include the suitablity for the major use(s) which you carry the rifle for and here, that includes defence in Grizzly country. So, something like a Mod. 94 or 336 ( one of my favourite guns IS a 336-.44M. that I bought and my brother and I both used as a "lookout gun" in the '60s and '70s with the BCFS)is not the "ultimate" choice, IMHO.

I also have found the M-S carbines, I had a 1956MC-30-06 and a 1961-MCA-6,5x55 ( NOT a typo), both stone mint and carried in some of BC's most brutal country extensively, to be rather "portly" in the mid-section for easy one hand carry and they are NOT as "light" as some may think. YMMV, but, I have other "ultra" and "very" light mountain carbines/rifles.

So, each to his/her own, but, FOR ME, where I live and hunt, my favourites are my synthetic-handled, customized Dakota 76-.338WM, my original Brno ZG-47-9.3x62 in it's Edge stock, my Mod. 70 Classic STS shorty in .308Win, also in an Edge, my newly built HVA .280-23" Fwt. Kreiger in a Bansner, and my superb full custom Remmy Mod. 7 STS 22" MR Gaillard, Edge KS, PTG shroud, fluted bolt, etc, etc and in 7-08.

I now concentrate on using my lighter rifles and I also have a 7.75 lb. FN-Musketeer, in .308Norma, in a Bansner and this is a very nice rifle to carry.

So, to me, it's about a group of factors and also where/what you are using that gun for.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13

"So, to me, it's about a group of factors and also where/what you are using that gun for."

kutenay,

Well said Sir...
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
I had one of the slim barreled Rugger 77 Ultra lights made in the early 1980's and it carried well even with a 2.5-8x36 scope.

A friend has one of the early 20th century style Marlins, and that is the best balanced and natural pointing rifle I have ever shouldered, but hardly a rifle for a western hunt.

How about a Nula?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Originally Posted by kutenay
I have, at one time or another, owned example(s) of almost every rifle mentioned here and many others as well. I carried a rifle, every day, months on end, seven long days per week, as a tool of my work in the BC and Alberta wilderness.

To me, the qualities of "carrying" ALSO really should include the suitablity for the major use(s) which you carry the rifle for and here, that includes defence in Grizzly country. So, something like a Mod. 94 or 336 ( one of my favourite guns IS a 336-.44M. that I bought and my brother and I both used as a "lookout gun" in the '60s and '70s with the BCFS)is not the "ultimate" choice, IMHO.

I also have found the M-S carbines, I had a 1956MC-30-06 and a 1961-MCA-6,5x55 ( NOT a typo), both stone mint and carried in some of BC's most brutal country extensively, to be rather "portly" in the mid-section for easy one hand carry and they are NOT as "light" as some may think. YMMV, but, I have other "ultra" and "very" light mountain carbines/rifles.

So, each to his/her own, but, FOR ME, where I live and hunt, my favourites are my synthetic-handled, customized Dakota 76-.338WM, my original Brno ZG-47-9.3x62 in it's Edge stock, my Mod. 70 Classic STS shorty in .308Win, also in an Edge, my newly built HVA .280-23" Fwt. Kreiger in a Bansner, and my superb full custom Remmy Mod. 7 STS 22" MR Gaillard, Edge KS, PTG shroud, fluted bolt, etc, etc and in 7-08.

I now concentrate on using my lighter rifles and I also have a 7.75 lb. FN-Musketeer, in .308Norma, in a Bansner and this is a very nice rifle to carry.

So, to me, it's about a group of factors and also where/what you are using that gun for.

Good point.

Let's break this thread down to better capture BEST CARRYING RIFLE

1)Best Carrying Rifle for BC with grizzly bears present?

2)Best Carrying Rifle for BC with no grizzly bears present?

3)Best Carrying Rifle for Alaska with Polar bears present?

4)Best Carrying Rifle for Alaska if walking across tundra, but with no bears present but wolves around?

5)Best Carrying Rifle for Alaska if walking across tundra, with bears present but no wolves?

6)Best Carrying Rifle for Alaska, prior to daylight savings, some tundra, no wolves, some bears and an occasional wolverine?

7)Best Carrying Rifle with the stipulations of #6 but if the person carrying the rifle is under 37 and an Aries?

8)Best Carry Rifle with the stipulations of #7, but the person is over 37 but under 50 and isn't carrying a backpack but may cross a stream but not deeper than ankle depth. Daylight savings time in question for this one.

9)All the stipulations of 1-8 but with the possibility of being on a plane the next day to hunt Kudu in S. Africa and the hunter is 47 but not an Aries. No yellow fever vaccination.

10)[bleep] it, what is the best carrying rifle?
Posted By: z1r Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead

10)[bleep] it, what is the best carrying rifle?

Whichever one happens to be in my hands when I am afield.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Had a few rifles out the other night and started wondering what the best carrying rifle is. Seems to me like a Savage 99 or a Winchester 92 carries about as well and any rifle I know of. We worry alot about accuracy, reliability, range and looks, but rarely about how the rifle carries. For folks who cover lots of ground with rifle in hand it should be a real consideration I would think.

I like carrying a Kimber Montana with a 2.5-8 or 2-7 scope as well as anything. I can grip around the receiver, "suitcase carry" by the scope unless it is cold. carry it in my armpit over my forearm and my other common carries. When I get there I can use it to kill almost any big game. It may be a little weak for Kodiaks in an alder patch but as I am a Leo I have other rifles for that.

If just carrying is the only criteria; A .30 carbine is about as handy as it gets.

I agree the OP's choices are very handy. I do spend a lot of time worrying about the bluing in front of the trigger guard
wearing as that is where I grip it most often so I cover the nicer rifles with duct tape. My 1899 20" bbl. TD in 250 Savage doesn't get that treatment.

While a Savage 99 with iron sights is sweet. Too big a scope and it feels top heavy.

A 92 carbine with an 18" barrel carries very well.

Posted By: hunting1 Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
For me it is my G1 Rem Ti 30-06 in a McMillan Edge.
Posted By: scoutman Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Also, a scope mounted in the "scout position" on a bolt action means that you can carry it with your hand wrapped around the receiver.

This makes the bolt just as handy to carry as a lever.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
My fav cary rifle is my Kimber 84M 708
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Of my rifles it comes down to two, my 760 in 30-06 or my custom shop vabguard 270
Posted By: Dale K Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/07/13
Another vote for the 99, either an H or a 50's F.

Dale
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
Originally Posted by tedthorn
My fav cary rifle is my Kimber 84M 708

I hope you're right since I just bought one for this season!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
Any short barreled unit that can be held by the grip with ones arm extended and there's room between the muzzle and ground. A Marlin Guide Gun and Rem 600 come to mind at the moment.
Posted By: Chrome Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
20" T/C Encore carbine is a pretty sweat toting rifle.

Had a sporter weight chambered in .33 WCF, it would shoot the 200 grain Hornady flat point around 2,400 fps.

For Whitetails in "the woods" it was hard to beat...
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
My son's marlin 1894 .44 mag is about as good as it gets...

John
Posted By: tal0362 Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
What about a BLR or Winchester Model 88?
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
Marlin 336 for me for sure. Love it!
Posted By: Westernmassman Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
My .358BLR(old style), or my 7/08 NULA. My buddy's 45/70 #1.
Posted By: rlott Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
If there's a good chance I'll be shooting much past 100 yards it's a Savage 99A in .243. Otherwise it's a Ruger .44 carbine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: z1r Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
I've always found this 22 HP to be easy to carry, scope & all.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/08/13
The easiest carrying carbine I own is my Rossi 92 trapper. My 94 Winchesters and Marlin 1894 are tied for second, followed by my Marlin 336C. None of my bolt actions come close, whether scoped or unscoped and regardless of weight.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/09/13
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The easiest carrying carbine I own is my Rossi 92 trapper. My 94 Winchesters and Marlin 1894 are tied for second, followed by my Marlin 336C. None of my bolt actions come close, whether scoped or unscoped and regardless of weight.

This has been my experience as well as far a bolt actions go.
Posted By: toad Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/09/13
M7 in 7-08 for me

[Linked Image]

or

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teeder Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/09/13
Originally Posted by slabslapper

[Linked Image]

That rascal just looks right. Sweet rig.

1!
Posted By: tvknight4150 Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/10/13
Savage 99F (late 50's). My model 70 is getting jealous and complaining about how little she gets hunted with.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/10/13
Ive always liked Remington M600s, but they kick like a beast.
Posted By: philthygeezer Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/10/13
The Winchester Model 61 is the nicest I've ever carried. But it's a rimfire.

Either a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or a Marlin lever gun in a centerfire I suppose. Those boat paddle Rugers are slim and comfy with irons as well.
Posted By: DMc Re: Best carrying rifle - 09/10/13

[Linked Image]

Very similar, modern version:

[Linked Image]

Handles well!

DMc

© 24hourcampfire