Home
Is anyone shooting these? I don't know anybody that is but looks interesting.

Compared to the Tikka?

I like their magazines and stocks. Just wondering if they shoot. I don't read much here about them.
There seems to be a lot of Browning dislike on here, but I have a X-Bolt in 30-06 and really like it. It shoots extremely well, trigger is pretty good, fit and finish is decent.
Got 2 of them and they're both less than MOA with several different factory loads.

Like the A-Bolt, they aren't picky about what you feed them. I like the X-Bolt stock and trigger a lot more than the A-Bolt's.

The detachable rotary mag grew on me and I believe it's an improvement, as if feeds from the center which is a plus if you are shooting a short, fat cartridge.

The Tikka's I've been around would shoot lights out as well, so just grab each and pick the one that fits you.

Can't go wrong with either.
+1 X-Bolt
X-Bolt 'Micro-Hunter' in 7mm-08 here, great gun.
Have an X-Bolt, .30-06. Shot .75 in. groups right out of the box, with factory ammo, no less.
I have an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker 300 Win Mag that is light weight, was accurate out of the box and the action is smooth as any rifle I've ever tried. It's been deer and elk hunting and is a favorite. I've only shot one Tikka in .308 cal and it was one fine shooting rifle as well. Don't think you would go wrong with either rifle.
Both are good rifles. Pick the one that feels best to you.
I've only shot two X-Bolts, a .243 and a .308, but both were VERY accurate, and the triggers quite good.
I have or had both, tikka's triggers are 10x better, there was a guy who sold a after market springs for the x-bolt but he stopped selling them because the average guy would have problems installing the springs.
Both shoot great I like the x-bolt rubberized stock better.
Originally Posted by byd
I have or had both, tikka's triggers are 10x better, there was a guy who sold a after market springs for the x-bolt but he stopped selling them because the average guy would have problems installing the springs.
Both shoot great I like the x-bolt rubberized stock better.

How does that compare to a Timney trigger?
JB, don't be bashful - tell us how accurate and what calibers if you don't mind.

I have wondered about the Xbolt, owned a Micro Abolt Medallion in 7/08, sold it - too pretty to hunt, it shot like my heavy bbl 700 back then. Handled the X- they fit me great, seem to offer some nice things over the Abolt from what I could tell.

MY experience in the Brownings I have shot and owned, or witnessed - all shot great. Quality Control seems high. Folks can choose if they like the models or designs, but I have nothing bad to say about fit, finish, build quality, and accuracy.
I have owned four Tikkas and still have two T-3s. I just picked up this X Bolt this AM and will be able to share a comparison of this rifle to my T-3s. However, it will not be until Elk season is done and over�CP.
[Linked Image]
I have also owned several X-Bolts (30-06, 280 Rem, .300 WSM, .223 Rem .308 Win) all were MOA out of the box with factory ammo and zero function issues....................Hb
Not currently owning any browning bolt actions I can only tell you that as far as a accurate rifle it's hard to top the Tika's the Browning's are absolutely beautiful but what I've heard in the accuracy department not so great
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Not currently owning any browning bolt actions I can only tell you that as far as a accurate rifle it's hard to top the Tika's the Browning's are absolutely beautiful but what I've heard in the accuracy department not so great

Nah, they don't shoot worth a damn.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RickcNY

Really?

From my own personal experience in owning a Browning X-Bolt, it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.....
CP - long action, what chambering? Looks nice.
VA - have owned - so you sold them?

Funny I hear others say they heard.....but yet to see anyone ever post groups of inaccurate shooting Brownings. Not telling anyone to buy a Browning, but its nice to have evidence to back up a claim of inaccurate Brownings or any other rifle.

Bighorn - what round is yours in?
It is a Long Action in a .280 Rem. I have compared parts and pieces of this rifle to my A-Bolt and like the changes that the X-Bolt offers. I have ordered some Browning one piece rings (they look a lot like Talley Lightweights) and should have them on Monday. So, I may get to shoot it this week�CP.
Yep I sold em all one by one just like I do all the others, I've owned probly 30+ new bolt action rifles in the last 5 years, I buy one play with a while until I get bored then I sell and buy a new one...........I can tell you from all the new rifles I've bought through the years that no bolt action rifle is more out of the box accurate than a Browning and that includes Sako model 85/75's and A7's along with Remington 700's and Weatherby MKV's and poor ol Ruger rifles ain't even in the ballgame, most of the guy's that brag on how good their Ruger shoot's have done work to them (bedding, trigger ETC.)..........Good luck........Hb
Had an ABolt 7WSM and wish I hadn't sold it. Was sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo, with some groups half MOA.

Heard nothing but good things about the XBolts
Like I said,I was only speaking as to what I've heard in regards to the Brownings ,however my Tika in 308 win,1 ragged hole at 100 yards with basic Remington corelokts ,I don't hand load as of yet
I've heard we never landed on the moon, the Pope shot Kennedy and that Hitler survived the war and lived under the Pentagon.

Knowing always trumps hearing...

My X-Bolt is .30-06.

Contributing to the accuracy of the X-Bolt has to be the fact that they are bedded and free-floated at the factory.
Your right and I KNOW my Tika is one of the most accurate stock centerfire rifles I've had the pleasure to own or shoot !!!
I wasn't wild about the way the X-Bolts rubberized stock felt, but that's a matter of opinion. I would like to handle a "anything non-rubberized" model and see how they feel.

I've not shot an X-Bolt. It's been a loong time since I shot a Tikka, and then just for a few rounds. I've neither read nor heard anything negative about either. Admittedly, that's not known, just heard.

As far as what I do know; my .25-06 A-Bolt has a couple loads (and a lot more I've not got around to trying) that'll cut .5" groups all day.
Dad's A-Bolt .270 WSM will do the same. What's more, it feeds without a hitch. Every time. Something that even the most expensive of customs are supposed to be incapable of. At least that's what I've heard. grin
Dude get a Tikka and call it good.
Tikka over a Browning ANYDAY!

This one isn't even close!
Mind telling us why Mr. Rebel?

Facts please.

Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Tikka over a Browning ANYDAY!

This one isn't even close!

Assume you have owned, and/or shot or hunted with both?
I have owned both and feel exactly the opposite..The good thing I can say about Tikka T3's is that they do shoot good, but they don't call em "PlasTikka's" for nothing, too cheap looking for My taste............Hb
FWIW, my brother had a T3 in 308, the big boar, carbine.
He had issues with accuracy, don't know why, shot it myself, could not figure it out. That said, never heard much bad said on T3s. No doubt the Tikka is less expensive, but I have handled both, and fit/feel counts for something.

Re: T3 and corelokt, I sighted in a guy's Abolt 270 w/corelokts, it put 3 in a dime to nickel sized group over the hood of my car - around 70 yds.

Owners of both models report good accuracy. One needs to remember what their use is......if it's Benchrest shooting, who knows. But hunting, Both will punch vitals further than many can hold that tight in field positions.

CP- look fwd to a range report. Va - BTDT, and will likely continue wink Bighorn, you are set!
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Facts please.

Based off of numerous reviews from others...

Brownings do (not) have the best reputation for using quality metal internals, triggers and springs. I'm not a fan of the older A-Bolt hinged magazine design. To be fair here, the new X-Bolt has improved a few of the issues over the A-Bolt.

Tikkas have a VERY large following all over the world for having great barrels, triggers and accuracy. I prefer the scope mounting options over the Brownings as well.

To be fair, some negatives on the Tikka are the plastic bolt shroud and magazines. There are a number of aftermarket options to improve the bolt shrouds with anodized aluminum shrouds.

For me personally, I prefer the solid reputation and options available for the Tikkas.

Facts please.

Brownings do have the best reputation for using quality metal internals, triggers and springs. I'm not a fan of the older A-Bolt hinged magazine design. To be fair here, the new X-Bolt has improved a few of the issues over the A-Bolt.

Got to believe you left out a critical word... Brownings do NOT have the best reputation for using quality metal internals... Matter of fact they have the worst of any firearm I have ever dealt with.

With a small fraction of my total field experience with rifles based on Browning A-Borts I have seen more in-field failures with them than all others combined! You can even throw in a ton of time afield with shotguns and I have seen quite a few of them fail... but even that does not come close to my personal, direct A-Bort failure experience.

And I have nothing against Brownings in general and have or had quite a few other models of shotguns, handguns, and rifles. I suspect J M Browning is rolling in his grave over having that POS A-Bort wear his name... Oh, I also own and have used an A-Bort quite a bit. I even killed a Kodiak brown bear with one.

In May of '12 a friend was using one on Kodiak and it failed because the trigger rusted to a "frozen" position... As an example of the last time I was afield near an A-Bort.

I have exactly no experience with the X-Bort...
-Dove hunt in Mexico in 2006- Over a 4 day period, shot cases of shells through a Browning Auto 5 light 20 and Browning Gold 20 gauge....light loads in auto's tend to produce more failures....Both guns performed flawlessly.

-Lord knows how many cases I've went through shooting skeet. Only failure I can recall was on a first shot of the day and it was caused by forearm magazine cap being screwed down all the way (Auto-5). That was my mistake.

-Only have hunted a few times in freezing temps when rifle was soaked, no problems. Have hunted on innumerable occasions where both shotguns and rifles became inundated. No problems with rust.

I will say I maintain and clean my rifles and shotguns, especially after they have become filthy or wet.

I certainly believe you Art, but I suspect most of the problems you have witnessed were due to poor routine maintenance and could have been easily avoided.

I also know a guide in BC that has used A-Bolts since the 80's. It gets pretty cold up there too.

It rains quite a bit here in the south, the temps rarely stay below freezing for long, so I can't comment on the trigger mechanisms freezing, but you are the only person I have ever heard saying triggers in the A-Bolt would rust to the point of not functioning.

There are tens of thousands of these rifles in service, so if it was a chronic problem it just makes sense that we would have heard more about it.

Maybe it's the salt water, but it seems quite a few must be used in that environment as well.

Sitka, if I lived in AK, I'd p/u a boat paddle Ruger 77 MKII SS, in 338 Win Mag, do a trigger job or replacement, mount a solid low powered optic, and call her good! It's a HARSH environment. If Brownings were that bad, word would get out and nobody would buy them. They work for a majority of buyers. In fact my cousin in Gustavus AK has a Browning Abolt in 300 WM...........
Admittedly, I've near zero experience with the X-Bolt, which is what this post was all about to begin with.

Buuut, in terms of the A-Bolt, they are quite popular in my part of the world and I've never heard anyone complain about function or accuracy (and I've been around a lot of A-Bolts) and have no complaints about my own (or Dad's).

Granted, most of these rifles get hunted a dozen days a year (maybe) and see two boxes of shells a year (maybe) and they may not be subjected to the abuse in a treestand (unless dropped) or blind that one would expect on a wilderness elk hunt or brown bear hunt in Alaska.

All the same, my A-bolt has never had the "pot metal" bottom metal break while deer hunting at Catoosa (about as close as we get to wilderness around here)nor has the trigger frozen up while deer hunting up north (close to the Kentucky State Line).

That said, everything I own generally reserves the right to break at any given point in time; so I'm not going to say it won't happen and sure won't doubt anyone who said it did.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Sitka, if I lived in AK, I'd p/u a boat paddle Ruger 77 MKII SS, in 338 Win Mag, do a trigger job or replacement, mount a solid low powered optic, and call her good! It's a HARSH environment. If Brownings were that bad, word would get out and nobody would buy them. They work for a majority of buyers. In fact my cousin in Gustavus AK has a Browning Abolt in 300 WM...........

If there is a stock I detest more than the boat paddle 77 stock I cannot come close to thinking of it right now. They are miserable pounders in anything with any recoil, loud, ugly, and mediocre at best when it comes to stiffness. I have a number of 77s, but a boat paddle would never be used by me again...

Check the internet and youtube for A-Bolt failures, they are there...
[quote=JohnMoses-Only have hunted a few times in freezing temps when rifle was soaked, no problems. Have hunted on innumerable occasions where both shotguns and rifles became inundated. No problems with rust.

I will say I maintain and clean my rifles and shotguns, especially after they have become filthy or wet.

I certainly believe you Art, but I suspect most of the problems you have witnessed were due to poor routine maintenance and could have been easily avoided.

I also know a guide in BC that has used A-Bolts since the 80's. It gets pretty cold up there too.

It rains quite a bit here in the south, the temps rarely stay below freezing for long, so I can't comment on the trigger mechanisms freezing, but you are the only person I have ever heard saying triggers in the A-Bolt would rust to the point of not functioning.

There are tens of thousands of these rifles in service, so if it was a chronic problem it just makes sense that we would have heard more about it.

Maybe it's the salt water, but it seems quite a few must be used in that environment as well.

[/quote]

There have been quite a few 24hour folks that have seen some of the same failures I did... On their guns. They do not even mention them here... I guess they figure I do it for them...

Several smiths here have seen the same thing repeatedly and a number of folks here have posted their exact same experience. I have posted pics of rusted wire connectors on several occasions. It is not from a lack of reasonable maintenance on all these rifles...

When I refer to these "freeze" failures I do not mean they froze because water froze in them, rather they are frozen by rust in an unworkable condition. It is usually the wire connector that rusts, IME.

I have also posted that I know several guides using A-Bolts without issue in similar, certainly equally tough conditions. The difference I believe has been a very lax specification standard for metals in A-Bort guts. I have seen many with excess corrosion without being around saltwater.

As I said, I have nothing against Browning, just the A-Bort.
You always read these Internet claims about how chitty every brand of rifle's flagship model is. If you search each brand here on the fire, you'll find various experts with loads of gunsmith experience (or their college roomate's brother is a 'smith) relay a tale of how Ruger/Winchester/Remmy/Browning/Tikka/Savage/ect has had more failures than any other brand.
And your point is?
You know what it is.
I have already listed a number of folks here that were present when a fair number of these incidents occurred. Most do not need to be embarrassed by being named a second time...

If you are insinuating that ANY of these have been manufactured or aggrandized let me know and I have some special instructions for you...

Before you show your stupidity you may want to cruise back through the years at the photos I have posted of several "frozen" A-Bort triggers...
Look up JJ Hack's posts while you are at it. When he guided in SE AK he had similar problems with them and he showed a few photos, too. You need to go back some years for that...
Re boat paddle stock - I was kidding on that part. It was horrible.
The Bbl/action is pretty bullet proof.

While I like most things about the 77 that angled forward action screw leaves me scratching my head... It is a PITA when restocking...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Facts please.

Brownings do have the best reputation for using quality metal internals, triggers and springs. I'm not a fan of the older A-Bolt hinged magazine design. To be fair here, the new X-Bolt has improved a few of the issues over the A-Bolt.

Got to believe you left out a critical word... Brownings do NOT have the best reputation for using quality metal internals... Matter of fact they have the worst of any firearm I have ever dealt with.

With a small fraction of my total field experience with rifles based on Browning A-Borts I have seen more in-field failures with them than all others combined! You can even throw in a ton of time afield with shotguns and I have seen quite a few of them fail... but even that does not come close to my personal, direct A-Bort failure experience.

And I have nothing against Brownings in general and have or had quite a few other models of shotguns, handguns, and rifles. I suspect J M Browning is rolling in his grave over having that POS A-Bort wear his name... Oh, I also own and have used an A-Bort quite a bit. I even killed a Kodiak brown bear with one.

In May of '12 a friend was using one on Kodiak and it failed because the trigger rusted to a "frozen" position... As an example of the last time I was afield near an A-Bort.

I have exactly no experience with the X-Bort...

Yes sir, you are correct. I had a typo.

I corrected my post.
Sitka,

I just ain't seeing it here.

Neither are others from different locales it seems.

If you want to compare apples to apples...

I can go dig up several hundred posts regarding Remington, Kimber & New Haven Winchester failures and problems...

So, using your own measuring stick, the Brownings have been pretty reliable in comparison.

I've had to many of them get soaked and fire over the last 30 years to believe it's a chronic problem.
Apples to apples would imply there are as many A-Bolts in use as Remingtons, for example... You know that ain't happenin'.

All I am reporting is my personal anecdotal history with A-Borts on hunts I was involved in. They represent a tiny share of the total, but a huge percentage of failures in my very direct experience.

They get subjected to conditions a lot harsher than most and fail regularly. If they were sitting in a box blind over a TX feeder they would likely run forever.

With all the internet posts about broken bolt handles and extractors on 700s one would guess I should have seen one by now on one of my personal guns... I haven't.

Your anecdotes are very different from mine both in conditions and results. I think there is a connection.
Damn! you have convinced Me Sitka, I'll never own another POS Browning rifle! now can we move on with our lives?.......Grin............Hb
There are more Brownings out there than Kimbers and if you broke down the percentages with Remington, I'm betting my previous point will still stand.

Living on the Mississippi river, I've done quite a bit of hunting where we traveled by boat. Rains a lot down here as well.

We've got these things called swamps that are pretty wet as well and you and your rifle tend to get soaked when wading through knee deep water when recovering animals.

Attributing an across the board flaw to the rifle is a mistake. We all have our own personal experiences that form our opinions.

But,

- You're not the only person that has hunted in "harsh" conditions.

- You have no idea what the rifles were subjected to and what kind of maintenance was performed on the rifles in question previous to the hunts.

- I would start shooting pigs in early sept., deer until late January and yotes into march, so the guns I've used aren't hunted for 4-6 days then packed up until next year. They're run for months at a time and subjected to everything but long freezing temps.

- Over the last 30 years, I've probably had a dozen or so of these rifles end up with wet internals for days at time. I never had a failure because of a rusted trigger.

- I know a lot of people whom I've hunted with, that use these rifles in the same conditions I have and have never had the problems you describe.

I'm sure it can happen and has happened, my considerable experience with the rifle tells me it's not the across the board, chronic condition you suggest.

And a little reasonable, routine maintenance can prevent what you describe.

And the salt spray comes from where?
I don't know much about Tikka's but a close friend had a 223 that was a tack driver...until the trigger group just fell apart after about 500 rounds.

That was enough for me. frown
Alaskans are rifle experts. All of them.

[Linked Image]

You said salt water wasn't the cause remember? From your earlier post on the subject...

I have seen many with excess corrosion without being around saltwater.

So now, salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't... whistle

You said salt water wasn't the cause remember? From your earlier post on the subject...

So now salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't? whistle

Ouch!

So now, salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't... whistle

I should have been more clear on that. My personal experience with failures have all been around saltwater. I have been shown quite a few the owners claimed had not been around salt that were also seriously corroded on the wire trigger link.

I believe the issue is a function of dissimilar metals of questionable specification and I know being around saltwater would speed the process.

The one that failed in the spring of last year down in Kodiak had not been out of the boat cabin before it was found inoperable.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So now salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't? whistle

Ouch!

Uncle Rico
Don't you have a group that needs boring to tears with your tales of baseball "prowess"?
art
Back in '82, I could throw an a-bolt a quarter mile.
Originally Posted by Techsan
Back in '82, I could throw an a-bolt a quarter mile.

LMAO!!!

[Linked Image]

That ol' buzzard has likely killed more critters with that BTS Winchester, than most any other 10 people here put together? So yeah, some of 'em are experts on something having to do with rifles. ;O)

I've had experience with precisely one A Blot (not a typo).

That being a lightweight Medallion something in 270 that a bud decided his wife "needed to have", some years back?

In addition to all the money he spent on "solving" her lack of appreciation for how the little bastard kicked (shock absorbing doohickus in the butt stock and a KDF brake), it never shot worth a rat's ass.

Then the cocking piece went to chit internally just about the time it was finally shooting sub 2" groups, so they had to send it back for repair. After it was returned from the repair center, it was again shooting plus 2" groups.

Besides that, they're fugly. So are Tikkas, so there. whistle
I would think if they were ugly, both would be right at home in Pennsylvania and Texas.

grin
Exactly! PA is home to far more rifle 'spurts than Alaska will ever be.

Like the gun store counter monkey I overheard explaining to a customer's question as to why both Brownings and Winchesters had the then-new BOSS on their barrels. Clerk said because Winchester had "bought the rights" to use the BOSS.

Customer didn't look too impressed, so I spoiled it by telling him it's probably because both were owned by the same parent company. Clerk adopted an attitude with me, for some reason?

Hard to figure some folks out, ain't it? ;O)
In my experience, it's best not to ask gun counter clerks any questions other than "Can you please hand me that rifle?"

Years ago, I had some smart ass clerk convinced the military installed insect valves on all government issue M-16's.

Told him that further study revealed insects were the cause of over 80% of the failures experienced in the Viet Nam war. grin

Word got back to me that he was passing this tidbit along to customers until someone embarrassed his ass at work.

Afterwards, He gave me schitty looks every time I walked in that store. cry
Priceless was when muledeer, Dennis Neil, told the clerk at Sportsman's Whorehouse who had just been extolling the virtues of the then-new 6.8SPC how it was next going to be introduced in a version based on the '06 case and he had it on good authority it was going to be a very hot seller...

The knowing nod of the counter help had to be seen!
Originally Posted by dubePA

[Linked Image]

That ol' buzzard has likely killed more critters with that BTS Winchester,

Must be hellova shot with no front sight whistle
He is actually a hunter, and gets close wink
Maybe a polar bear bit it off? wink
But a few possible explanations:

1. He's learned the art of "sightin' fine".

2. Strictly an instinctive shooter, don't need no stinkin' sights.

3. Extraneous use of the rifle as a club, had knocked the sight off long ago.

4. Snow blind since early childhood, makes "sound shots" only.

5. Swapped the front sight for two cartons of generic cigs.
Got to admit that is a damn fine job of writing succinct reasons!

6. Waiting for this year's PFD to replace it... of course it is about as likely as the 1998 PFD check that didn't get it done either.

7. Had to use it prop open the choke on his snow-go and when it got sucked in and trashed the engine he just left it out on the tundra inside the beast.

8. All the rifling is gone from his rifle anyway (ain't salt spray in the bow a bitch!) so he swapped it to his grandson's rifle.
I hunted exclusively with an A-bolt Stainless Stalker in 338 Win Mag from 1993 to 2011. I killed sitka blacktails, goat, caribou, moose and brown bears with it before switching to a Weatherby Vanguard and now an X-bolt chambered in 338 Win Mag. I recently bought a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 7mm-08 too but haven't shot it yet. I'll be using the X-bolt next month on a two week brown bear hunt on the AK Peninsula so we'll see if it proves to be as reliable as my old A-bolt.
Prototype or custom?

The 338 Stainless Stalker did not show up in the Browning catalog until sometime between '01 and '04. The Composite Stalker 338 showed up some earlier...
Prototype or custom?

The 338 Stainless Stalker did not show up in the Browning catalog until sometime between '01 and '04. The Composite Stalker 338 showed up some earlier...

Rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off at this. Well done.
Sitka - you sir are wrong about the dates on the Stainless Stalker. I had 2 of those and they were both purchased in the mid 90's and certainly no later than 1997.
My apology Sitka - I did not catch the reference to 338. My response was to 7mm08 and 280.

So - I can't dispute your 338 timetable.
No worries... And I would certainly not put it past any company to make special runs for big buyers or even to just make a mistake and stick the "wrong" chambered barrel on some... But the catalog dates are fairly accurate for the vast majority of a particular model and chamber.
I have a Rem. 700 ADL in a 25-06 and it is probably the best rifle I have ever owned...until I bought a my Marlin 336 30-30 which, then became the best rifle I have ever owned...until I bought my 300 Win Mag Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker which, was absolutely the best rifle I have ever owned, until I bought my Ruger M77 Hawkeye 358 Win, which now, just can't compare to my 9.3X62 CZ 550 American Kevlar 9.3X62.

I'm sure if I were to buy a Tikka, Winchester, Kimber, Cooper, Mauser or any other brand, they would also be my favorites too. I like each gun that I own for one reason or another. If I didn't, I would eventually sell it.

Still, I love to read about everyone's opinions which I will definitely consider should I decide buy another rifle....and, I probably will.
Actually, Browning A bolt production spanned from 1985 to 1993 when it was replaced by the A bolt II. The Stainless Stalker variants began production in 1987 according to Browning. I bought a Stainless Stalker in 300 Win Mag in 1992. Then my 338 WM in 1993. The Blue Book of Gun values (see below) will show you this or you can just visit Browning's web site to see for yourself. Scroll down through the production dates to see. No custom or prototype or special run...just regular old production.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=202&bg=x

A-Bolt Hunter Stainless Stalker
.22-250 Rem. (left-hand only, new 1993), .25-06 Rem., .270 Win., .280 Rem., .30- 06, 7mm Rem. Mag., .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win. Mag. or .375 H&H (new 1990) cal., action and barrel are stainless steel, matte black graphite fiberglass composite stock, dull stainless finish, no sights, 6 lbs. 11 oz. - 7 lbs. 3 oz. Mfg. 1987-93. Replaced by Stainless Stalker II in 1994.
Prototype or custom?

Who is right here????.........My curiosity is up .........Hb
Who knows or cares? grin

If Sep will post a pic of the rifle & serial number, we can date it pretty easily.

I'm guessing that will never happen, so I'm going to save my worrying for the burning question of whether the 30-30 is enough gun. wink
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Prototype or custom?

I remember reading Jim Zumbo article in the early 90's, and he was using a Stainless Stalker in 338.

If Sep will post a pic of the rifle & serial number, we can date it pretty easily.

Seriously? Post pictures of my serial number?

Guys, the bottom line is you're wrong. Browning's web link and the Blue Book of Gun Values I posted show you I'm tellin you the truth. If you don't believe it and this is really an important issue to you, you're welcome to give Browning a call. 1-800-322-4626.

I've got no reason to bull$hit you people about a couple rifles I bought back in 1992 and 1993 while stationed in Montana. I've tried to be polite about this while some of you have quite frankly been jackasses and one of you from my own state no less.

I'll move on now so several of you can leave smartass remarks and look like the big internet heros you think you are...

A jackass from Alaska? Why are you so surprised? jackasses are in every state My man and I see on your Browning link that they introduced the A-Bolt stainless stalker in 1987 I don't think that was the issue here it was the .338 chambering and John's right I really don't care that much anyway but Sitka stated so "matter of factly" that he knew what he was talking about is the only thing I found amusing about the whole thing.................Hb
Hey Sep,

No one called you a liar except Sitka, so save your venom for him pard.

Unfortunately, The link you posted doesn't say in .338 caliber.

I just mentioned that posting a pic with sn# would prove who was bullschitting us.

I know the answer... wink

Sorry, I have been out dealing with a big moose. He is now hanging and when I get a few more loose ends tied up I will do some scanning.

You [bleep] incapable of reading need to go back and see exactly what I wrote. The 2001 catalog does not list the 338. I attempted to find one for a friend about that time frame or a little earlier and was told they were not available and had not been made. he ended up with a 375H&H. I can go to my bound book and find that exact date.

The next catalog I have available is 2004 and it shows the SS in 338.

I know Davidson's and at least a couple other large dealers have runs of various makes and models made to their specs that do not show up in the catalogs. I even stated that clearly.

Based on the three facts above I simply stated what I know to be fact and asked a question. Too bad some sand got in their wadded thongs.

I've got no stake in this - but I was interested so did a bit of digging on google.

Here's a current gunbroker listing for a A-bolt .338 Stainless Stalker http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366277575. The bolt fluting makes it an A-Bolt I, not an A-Bolt II. I believe the transition from -I to -II was in 1994?

Maybe it was the -II version which was not offered in .338 until between 2001 and 2004? Or maybe some early .338's (whether -I or -II model) were made as a special run as has been suggested. I wouldn't know - we don't tend to get a lot of the special run rifles sent down here.

Same one I found Paul.

Sep is ok in my book.
© 24hourcampfire