Home
Just heard abt one locally coming available. Wondering what fair price in VG condition would be?

Also, anyone have or had one and do ya think its worth fooling with?

Thank you.
Mine is a 322 and no scope. Will shoot 1" or thereabouts at 100 yds all day long.

Value? What are you willing to pay? Seriously, I have no idea. But the Hornet was more rare than the .30-30 so I'd look at .30-30 prices and add some to get an idea.
I've got a first year 342, definitely a fun gun to play with and usually very accurate. 22 Hornets are very popular, so $300-$500 is what I would expect depending on condition. Nabbed mine at $175, don't know what the store was thinking when they put that price on it.

[Linked Image]
Paid less than $50 for my 22 Hornet M340, but that was back in the 60s. I see one now and then, generally run around $300 and up, depending on condition. Especially if they have a walnut stock.

Some of the later variations have birch stocks, by the looks of them? More common to find them around here in 222 or 30-30.

Mine is pretty accurate, but the extractor is a tad weak with much more than factory loads and the trigger ain't nothing to write home about.

Mine still wears the K2.5 it came with, although years ago I had put a more powerful scope on it. Still have an assortment of Weaver "side saddle" mounts/rings for it. Killed a crap load of woodchucks and red foxes with it, in my misspent youth.
Like to have a Hornet, just not sure this is the right route.

There's an estate auction coming up. Other things making me feel loony are: 6-in. Python (the Hutch model!), Marlin 39, Mossberg Chuckster .22 WMR.

I've only ever had one 340, a 222. Picked it up years ago for I think about $100 - $120 bucks. It grouped around 3" with about every factory ammo I tried. That was back in the days when I knew nothing about bedding, touching up the crown or how to adjust triggers. It went down the road in a hurry and I vowed to never own another. Now I'd like to find one in a 30-30, at a really good price, to play with sometime when I've got a little spare money. Not sure I'd be willing to pay much for it though.

Dave.

edit to add, of the options you list I'd likely be on the Python if it's in good shape.
I think my partner at work has a 340 in .30-30, come to think of it.
I had one in 222 I sold here at the fire a while back. It was accurate with the factory ammo I tried. Very cool rifles but they don't fit me that well.
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Like to have a Hornet, just not sure this is the right route.

There's an estate auction coming up. Other things making me feel loony are: 6-in. Python (the Hutch model!), Marlin 39, Mossberg Chuckster .22 WMR.

Buy the chuckster. That will be a shooting machine. Here's how mine does:

[Linked Image]
10 shot group at 50 yards.
© 24hourcampfire