Home
Posted By: RinB SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/05/13
I am considering buying one in 7 RM. Does anyone have experience with one in that cal or the others. Interested in function; feeding, safety, magazine, etc, and accuracy. Thanks.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/05/13
Had one in a 25-06 and regret selling it...stupid stupid mistake....just a great rifle overall, feed smooth and function amazingly. It was accurate as well....my wife's rifle actually and she made some awesome shots with it.
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/05/13
I have a 75 in 25-06. Except for being heavy, it's perfect in every way. I wish I had bought the Finn light. I wouldn't be considering selling it for something lighter.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/06/13
I think my 85 Finnlight is a work of art.
Posted By: 243Win Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/06/13
Have a 7mm08 and it shoots a 140 accubond at 2900 with 20" bbl. Awesome gun to shoot and carry.
Posted By: setch Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/06/13
There's a school of thought that the 75s are better than the 85s, but my 85 is slicker than snot, and not finicky at all with ammo...though definitely not a 7rem
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/06/13
I have three 85's finnlights. On average they have been more accurate than my 75's. Two are true .5 inch three shot rifles. The other is a 300 win mag that I am trying to make shoot H4831 and 180 grain partitions. So far it's a 1 to 1.25 three shot rifle. I am finally going to try a different powder in it.

All of mine function like they are supposed to.

My 270 has optilocks and a Leupold 3.5x1040mm CDS and weighs 7lbs 6 oz. My 300 with ring mounts and same scope weighs 7lbs 13oz.

Dink
Posted By: atomchaser Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 10/06/13
I have several -- great rifles. I probably wouldn't buy one it 7 mag because it's a light rifle and I don't like recoil. When I bought my 300wsm, I went with the Grey Wolf model and dropped it in a McMillan stock. It's got enough mass that it doesn't bother me at all to shoot it. It could probably have something to do with the fit of the stock as well as I like a LOP that is shorter than the factory stock.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13
Found this thread in a search. Handled a M85 Finnlight last night, and thought it felt good. The rail mount for the scope looks funky, though. How do you mount scopes, and does the scope actually stay put, once mounted?
Posted By: old_willys Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13
I had 85 Finnlight's in 25-06 and 300 WSM, they both shot fine.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Found this thread in a search. Handled a M85 Finnlight last night, and thought it felt good. The rail mount for the scope looks funky, though. How do you mount scopes, and does the scope actually stay put, once mounted?

The Sako rail is the best base ever invented IMHO. It's taper only causes the mount to get tighter under recoil and it allows a little front back adjustment for eye relief position. I prefer the Optilock one piece ringmounts but also use Leupold ringmounts. I don't use the base and ring mounts because I hate the idea of adding a base to a base.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13

I own Sako's chambered from 223 to 300 RUM the bases have never moved.

The only problem I ever had was a front ring came loose after 10+ years on the RUM.

Dink
Posted By: Horseman Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13
7mmRM wouldn't be my first choice in a finnlight. Mine is in 30-06 and shoots very well. The problem with Sako 85s in 7RM is they use a larger action size than necessary making them a bit heavy. The 7RM was designed to fit in a 30-06 size action. Sako in there infinite wisdom puts them in the next size up action. The only plus is you have plenty off magazine length for long bullet seating. I have a 85 classic in 7RM and it shoots well but carries like a 375H&H because of this action size.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13
Great Rifle, great mounts Optilocks. Give Keefer at Europtics a call, he will fix you up on a package.

If it was me, I would opt for a 7mm-08, the bigger 7 would hurt my old azz

fwiw, i bought the 85 stainless hunter in 7mm-08 with swarovski, 3.5-18x from Keefer, it is an outstanding set up, very accurate/deadly
Originally Posted by DINK

I own Sako's chambered from 223 to 300 RUM the bases have never moved.

The only problem I ever had was a front ring came loose after 10+ years on the RUM.

Dink

These have been very solid and feel more substantial than the Leupold ringmounts.
http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13
I have a set of ring mounts on a 85 finnlight in 300 win mag. I like them so far.

I do not like the Leupold rings.

Dink
I have a set of ring mounts on a 85 finnlight in 300 win mag. I like them so far.

I do not like the Leupold rings.

Dink

I feel about the same. The Leupolds will work but they have to be two thirds up the rail to get a good hold and don't feel nearly as well made as the Optilock Ringmounts. I wouldn't trust them on hard recoiling rifles with heavy scopes.
Posted By: atomchaser Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/08/13
I have Talley, Sako Optlocks two piece, Optilock ringmounts and S&K rings and bases on various Sako Rifles ( 260 Rem to 375 H&H) and haven't had an issue with any of them coming loose. The only issue I have is the limited ability to adjust the position of the rings. It can cause issues with certain smaller scopes.
Posted By: sigguy Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/12/13
They are really nice rifles.

I have a couple, and the first word that comes to mind is consistency.

It is easy to shoot them accurately, at least for me. There's no need to muck about with them, unlike say a Kimber. No nagging issues - i.e. no firing pin woes, feed problems, wonky bedding, etc. The Finnlight is not cheap, but worth the money IMO. Buy one, put a scope on it, bore sight it, go to the range, and a few rounds later you're in business and ready to hunt it.

I agree with another poster about the large action size of the 7MM and up. I also prefer a short action or midsize (IV - 30-06) action in the Finnlight, however the large action really isn't too much heavier and gives you a longer barrel which is nice on light boomers.

The stock is well thought out too. While it is not a McMillan or a Brown, it is comfortable and sturdy. A few on the board have complained about them, but my guess is these folks haven't spent much time hoofing it around in the woods.

The magazine is a little harder to inadverantly pop out than that on the 75's, but I never had a problems with those either.

I give them a thumbs up.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/12/13
I've got 2 of them in .243 & .270. They're lightweight, reliable and shoot great. I'll never get rid of mine.
Posted By: ldg397 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/13/13
+1 on europtic. He set me up this summer with a new 85 finnlight in 6.5x55, optilock ringmounts. Put a leupold vx3 2.5x8 on it. First group down the barrel was 3/4". That is just the first ammo I tried, I think I have a real shooter.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/29/13
Well sold off a couple of M70's and I am buying another Sako 85 Finnlight 7-08 from my wife...she wanted a sako back, didn't like the M70 FWT she had. Found a set of Optilok Ringmouts and they are in mail to me for it. It will have her Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 scope on it..should be good to go for next season!

I have even been debating selling off a FN M70 Super Grade that is being trued up and getting a 25-06 barrel put on it right now for a Finnlight 30-06....
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/29/13
Originally Posted by ldg397
+1 on europtic. He set me up this summer with a new 85 finnlight in 6.5x55, optilock ringmounts. Put a leupold vx3 2.5x8 on it. First group down the barrel was 3/4". That is just the first ammo I tried, I think I have a real shooter.

Can you tell me which size action the 6.5 uses III or IV and the weight with that Leupold?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/29/13
The other is a 300 win mag that I am trying to make shoot H4831 and 180 grain partitions. So far it's a 1 to 1.25 three shot rifle. Dink

It may very likely be the fault of the Partitions and not the rifle. I have NEVER had fortune with PT's shooting consistently. So much so that I do not ever test them anymore.
Posted By: sigguy Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/29/13
The 6.5x55 uses the IV action (same as 30-06). Scope is 11.4 oz.

Great combination!
Posted By: Pat85 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/29/13
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Can you tell me which size action the 6.5 uses III or IV and the weight with that Leupold?

The 6.5 uses the IV action.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/29/13
I have one in 260 and it's one of the most accurate rifles that I've shot, tackdriver.

There have been reports of ejection problems with some Sako 85's, i.e. the brass hitting the under side of the scope. This appears to be unique to the LA 85's based on the reports that I've read. My SA doesn't have this issue nor have I read reports of this problem with SA 85's.
One poster with this problem corrected it by replacing the original Sako ejector spring with a Gre-Tan spring. I don't know how widespread the issue is but there was a thread about it last year.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6439384/Sako_85_ejection_failure
Posted By: GSP814 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/29/13
MC--what bullets are you shootin that 260?
Posted By: MCT3 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/30/13
120gr TTSX currently

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Orchemo Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/30/13
Looking for a Finnlight in 243. Seems to be a rare caliber.

I really like the handling of the Finnlights. While I know the barrels are the same as a Tikka, the feel of the rifle is much better.

IF only they made a Finnlight in 35 Whelen !!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/30/13
Which 85 ejects the brass right into the scope, and then back into the breech?
Posted By: ldg397 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/30/13
85 finnlight 6.5x55 with IV action so you can set the bullets out which helps on any 6.5. With optilock ringmounts and leupold vx 3 2.5x8 no sling no ammo weighs 7lbs 3 oz.

I think you could get under 7 with different mounts.

Has anyone put a mcmillan edge on one of these and how much weight did it save??
Posted By: ldg397 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/30/13
I had a greywolf in 30-06 that hit the scope if you put medium or high rings that fixed it. I didn't want the high rings and sent it down the road that was a deal breaker.

I came back to give them another chance because what everyone says about their accuracy. I also wanted a quality 6.5x55 and choices are pretty limited in that caliber.

I used the new superformance 140sst @ 2745 very good round.
Posted By: sigguy Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 11/30/13
Originally Posted by Orchemo
Looking for a Finnlight in 243. Seems to be a rare caliber.

I really like the handling of the Finnlights. While I know the barrels are the same as a Tikka, the feel of the rifle is much better.

IF only they made a Finnlight in 35 Whelen !!!!

They do. Almost. Try a Sako Black Bear in 9.3x62. It's a Finnlight with fixed sights and a 20" barrel.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/01/13
[Linked Image]

Not a Whelen, but close, 9.3x62. The Black Bear is indeed nothing more than a black Finnlight with Recknagel sights. The sights are top shelf and worthy if put to use. Otherwise, go with a standard Finnlight if fixed sights are unwanted. Mine has been the slickest feeding production rifle I've owned. Easy to shoot well, ergonomics are spot on for my liking.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/01/13
my 85 stainless hunter, 7mm-08 shoots great, and always puts the cold bore shot dead zero, just saying
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/01/13
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Which 85 ejects the brass right into the scope, and then back into the breech?

The long action models.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/01/13
Originally Posted by GaryVA
[Linked Image]

Not a Whelen, but close, 9.3x62. The Black Bear is indeed nothing more than a black Finnlight with Recknagel sights. The sights are top shelf and worthy if put to use. Otherwise, go with a standard Finnlight if fixed sights are unwanted. Mine has been the slickest feeding production rifle I've owned. Easy to shoot well, ergonomics are spot on for my liking.

If your neck ever gets any longer, I bet you could grind off the rear mount's recoil lug, move it forward and have a more versatile mount. The Leupold ringmounts hold well without the lug and aren't built near as heavy as those Optilocks. I've only heard of one Leupold ringmount failing and that was with a very heavy scope(near 30 OZ I think) and some big magnum like a 375 H&H or such, memory fails.
Posted By: Orchemo Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/01/13
9.3 looks interesting. I already have a few finnlights (7mm-08, 30-06, 270WSM & 300WSM). Pretty much have things covered. It all started one day when I happened upon the '06 on a used rack. It was a great fitting rifle and then my sickness began.

Thought about buying another '06 and having it bored out to 35 , but afraid there is not enough metal in the barrel to bore it out.

A 243 would be nice as I already have a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede, but what a cool caliber
Posted By: GaryVA Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/02/13

If your neck ever gets any longer, I bet you could grind off the rear mount's recoil lug, move it forward and have a more versatile mount. The Leupold ringmounts hold well without the lug and aren't built near as heavy as those Optilocks. I've only heard of one Leupold ringmount failing and that was with a very heavy scope(near 30 OZ I think) and some big magnum like a 375 H&H or such, memory fails.

I'm a big fan of the Sako Ringmount if they fit. I tend not to stock crawl and they are a near custom fit for my needs. Even with the big S&B, they place the optics where they need to be for my dimensions. With a more trim LEU, they'll give more room to work. I'll often remove the scope for travel and to address the fixed sights. For this, the Sako system on my rifle has proven spot on repeatable. They use the same Torx head screw mounts as the rifle action screws, so it keeps things simple. My test group from last season, pulling the scope between shots to test the mounts. I cannot get this level of performance using the LEU mounts.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/02/13
Glad they work well for you. I just noticed ,from your picture of the Black Bear, that you might possibly need more room.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/02/13
You make an excellent point. Like boots and backpacks, what fits and works well for one, may be an ill match for another.

I've come to appreciate that whomever the Sako engineers used for middle of the road average dimensions for fit with this rifle, must have been my twin. Most everything they engineered into this platform, falls right into place with my needs for correct fit and function. So to the OP and this thread, if the shoe fits, it should come out of the box running like a champ. Well worth the price of admission. But, if you end up needing to Frankenstein the rifle, spending additional big bucks, due to an ill factory fit, you'd probably be better off going a different route.
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/02/13

6.5 would be a MEDIUM action size in the model 85 rifles and a "IV" action size in the Sako model 75 rifle.

Posted By: ldg397 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/03/13
Originally Posted by MightyPeace

6.5 would be a MEDIUM action size in the model 85 rifles and a "IV" action size in the Sako model 75 rifle.

Correct it is labeled M in the 85 but just so everyone knows this not an intermediate action it is the same as 30-06, 270, etc standard long action.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/03/13
Originally Posted by Orchemo
9.3 looks interesting.

I had my 270 finnlight rebarreled into a 9.3x62.

So I have a 260, 30-06, 338 Federal, and a 9.3x62 Sako 85...

I guess I like them.

At the moment I'm thinking about rebarreling the 338 Federal
Posted By: miguel Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/05/13
Last summer I got the Sako bug, and just had to have a Finnlight in .308. It was quite costly, and when I got it, it really did nothing for me. It just didn't "fit" me. I think I took it hunting with me once the whole season. Definitely a well made rifle but it may be up for sale soon. Vault space is too limited to keep a gun that I don't use.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/05/13
Mine in 260 does cloverleaf as well with 120's, and 123 Scenars
Posted By: zxc Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/05/13
Originally Posted by RinB
I am considering buying one in 7 RM. Does anyone have experience with one in that cal or the others. Interested in function; feeding, safety, magazine, etc, and accuracy. Thanks.

I have a Finnlight in 30-06 and a 370 Sako Mag (9.3x66)both stainless /synthetic. There is hardly a dimes worth of difference between the two in handling characteristics, the Finnlight is slightly lighter and has a fluted barrel 'cool'. Both are sub MOA rifles @ 100m. Amongst one of the slickest actions around (My Tikka/Tac is slicker though), magazine fit and function is perfection. If there is a down side it would be the 'look' of the stock, however, it functions as it should. The upside of the stock is that I don't mind using it as a tool.....which it is.
I've had a 7Mag for 20yrs and when the Finnlight was bought I was thinking real hard on another 7. But with the knowledge available today and running ballistic programs and vast array of 30 caliber bullets I went with the 30-06. In practical terms it equals the 7mag (sure you can use those slippery high BC 7mm bullets but you most likely limit their potential by magazine length) and on the upside you can run a 200gr AccuBond at ~2700fps, this is a serious bullet at a serious Muzzle velocity and on light bodied animals the 168gr bullets @2900fps are very good.
Anyway caliber aside, the Finnlight is an excellent choice and my 'go to' rifle for moose,deer, and b-bear.
Posted By: slg888 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/05/13
No experience yet....yet. Looking forward to shooting this one soon. Sako75 - 260rem. New/Never shot. 7.5lbs w/scope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MCT3 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/05/13
Great set up with the Zeiss 2.5-8x32 slg888! Very nice.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/05/13
I had a Zeiss 3-9x on my Sako 85 260 - now it wears a Leupold 4.5-14x.

The Zeiss was moving zero all over the place.

Other than that mine is wearing a Mcmillan stock -
Posted By: harv3589 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/06/13
A new Sako 85 finnlight 7-08 is in the mail now for my wife....she will be very happy to have it!
Posted By: devnull Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/06/13
I have this same rig in the same caliber. You won't be disappointed with accuracy, feeding or extraction. Velocities on mine are quite as high as I had hoped for even with max loads for a 120 gr BT.

Originally Posted by slg888
No experience yet....yet. Looking forward to shooting this one soon. Sako75 - 260rem. New/Never shot. 7.5lbs w/scope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: slg888 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/06/13
devnull pm sent
Posted By: Greenbrier Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/06/13
Stoney, go shoot that thing and tell me how it does...I would love to hear!
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/06/13
Originally Posted by harv3589
A new Sako 85 finnlight 7-08 is in the mail now for my wife....she will be very happy to have it!

I bet you will!
Posted By: kevinh1157 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/06/13
I have a Sako 75 Finnlight in .260 Rem. One of the best hunting rifles I've ever owned!
Posted By: harv3589 Re: SAKO 85 Finnlight - 12/07/13
Originally Posted by harv3589

I bet you will!

If she is happy i am happy! I won't be shooting it though...
© 24hourcampfire