Home
Posted By: Fotis Bedding a rifle with JB weld? - 11/09/13
Any input?
It works very similarly to any epoxy-based compound. Just make sure to use plenty of release agent.
I've used it with success.

Others will be along to say I didn't.

And so it goes.
I usually use Devcon, for jits and shiggles I used JB Weld and it worked too. I did not use the fast set stuff though.
Thanks John!
Just used some tonight to bed the bottom metal on my new M70.
Devcon 10110 putty is the best I've used.

I stored it in the Fridge and it worked great two years later.

A guy on Longrangehunting did an experiment a few years ago ,he made some one inch blocks using JB weld ,Devcon and another epoxy of some type.
He didn't use any kits designed for bedding though.

Anyway his intentions were to measure the one inch cubes over time and see which bedding material would shrink over time.
Devcon was best that's why I ordered some ,but JB Weld has worked fine on a couple of rifles I bedded years ago.
Steer clear of the fast set up stuff as stated ,it outran me once and was a lot of work hogging it out.
which is the fast stuff guys?
is it this stuff?

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-kwikweld-3/
This is the stuff I use. It takes a day to cure.

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8280-Professional-Reinforced/dp/B000ALG8LO
sweet! thanks
JB Weld worked OK for me, but it was a bit runny. If you let it set up a while first, it is easier to work with.
But the peanut butter like Devcon 10110 is my favorite.
Posted By: 28lx Re: Bedding a rifle with JB weld? - 11/09/13
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

And so it goes.

Spit out a little coffee on that one grin
Originally Posted by Fotis
which is the fast stuff guys?
is it this stuff?

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-kwikweld-3/

Yep, that's the quick stuff. It works great in barrel channels, but I wouldn't recommend it for bedding compound on the receiver (recoil lug/tang) of the rifle. The regular ol "industro" type works well for that....I buy the 15 oz tube and use it when I'm out of devcon 10110...
Posted By: prm Re: Bedding a rifle with JB weld? - 11/09/13
I've used JB Weld. Seems to have worked great.
I have used most of the stuff out there. I cannot say I like devcon or any of the others better than JB weld.
Posted By: JPro Re: Bedding a rifle with JB weld? - 11/09/13
I've used JB and it worked fine. It is a bit runnier than I like. Devcon, warmed up a bit with a hair dryer, is easier to work with in my opinion.
Originally Posted by JPro
I've used JB and it worked fine. It is a bit runnier than I like. Devcon, warmed up a bit with a hair dryer, is easier to work with in my opinion.

Exactly the reason I prefer JB. I like for the barreled action to find its own level. Devcon steel does not compress as much as I like. I like Devcon Aluminum better than the steel, but prefer JB weld. I have not had a problem with any of the bedding I have done with JB weld and I think I first started using it sporadically about 4 years ago.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

And so it goes.

No he didn't. grin
I've used it a couple of times. Let it setup just for a few minutes first if you don't want it runny.

For mine, in exactly two hours you can remove the action without disturbing the bedding.
So far all I have used is Acraglass Gel.
What do you guys recommend for a release agent for jb weld?
I used Hornady 1 shot case lube
I used PAM cooking spray. I'll try something else next time...
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

I always use Trewax paste wax.
paste wax
I did exactly this two weeks ago. Full details here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._m_in_it_now_bedding_project#Post8188970
I use Imperial Sizing lube because it is cheap and nearby (sitting on my bench). I used to brush it on but finger smearing seems to work just as well without the streaks (thanks BSA).
JB works for me
I USED RELEASE AGENT and KIWI NEUTRAL TODAY
paste wax--let dry

Spray with PAM over the top.
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire