Home
is there an advantage to the 150 at all ? i shot 130gr ballistic tips last year and dont plan on using those ever again. i have about half a box of 150gr corelokt in 270win but im reading the best fActory rounds are 130gr for 270.
130 gr core lokts...all u need
Get a 30-06. grin
What ever bullet your gun shoots the best is how I would decide. I think the 130 gr bullets would be fine, as I have killed bull elk with the same wieght bullet. I like corlokt bullets very much, so if they shoot well, thats what I would use.
What is it about the 130BTs that you dislike?
FWIW,
What you ask is one of those questions where it is hard to get objective or empirical feedback, and typically most answers will be opinion. What's the nice way to say it, opinions are like noses, every one has one and most of them smell.

So with that in mind, just a couple quick observations.
The Sierra Manual #5 states that their hunting load in 130 Sptizer has a mv of 3100 fps, resulting in 2774 ft. lbs. of energy. The 150 gr sptizer has an mv of 2900 fps and an mv of 2801 fps. Not much difference. There will also be a differnce in the trajectory, but at 200 yds. or under, on game it will not be noticible.

Now for the opinion part. I stand to be corrected, but I'd bet the 150 grainer and lower velocity would give more penetration.

I've a particular 270 Winchester that I've owned for almost 20 years. The 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tip over 60 gr. of H-4831 has been my go to load in that rifle for that same amount of time.
Qien Sabe and best of luck on your quest.

GWB
Originally Posted by southtexas

the fact the leave zero blood trails. i recovered 3 of
my 4 deer last year but looked for hours in the woods for one of them And he wasnt far. just no blood. from what i remember very small exit hole. maybe it was all shot placement but ive got a couple friends who say stopped using the BT for the se
reason
Tough to find a wrong bullet. Shoot the 150's and see how they go...

W
Originally Posted by killindeer

my 4 deer last year but looked for hours in the woods for one of them And he wasnt far. just no blood. from what i remember very small exit hole. maybe it was all shot placement but ive got a couple friends who say stopped using the BT for the se
reason

That is one of the reasons I've switched to Accubonds in most of the different caliber rifles I shoot. A hole going and and a hole going out. If it's not DRT, almost always have a decent blood trail unless its poor shot placement. I've found that the Accubonds fly like the ballistic tips and penetrate similar to a partition. Typically work up loads with the B/T's and switch to A/B's on game.

Best,

GWB
130 Nosler Partitions will generally exit any size whitetail from any reasonable angle(yes I know they aren't "needed",whatever the hell that means smile )

I have killed whitetails and mule deer weighing up to 230-250 pounds field dressed (weighed) with them. Now and then I have recovered one, but not many.

On broadside shots through shoulders and lungs,they will generally exit. And will do this at distances from 20-30 feet(black bear and deer) to 300-400 yards.

As to blood trails, my pal whacked a doe through the lungs only; she ran (which sometimes happens with anything including 300 magnums)....we turned my 11 year old son loose on the blood trail,which was up on the vegetation along her path of travel as it blew from the exit,and he walked us right to the deer.

None of this is opinion. smile Reporting what I have seen.

Generally any blood trails from deer hit with NPT's are pretty darned short.

Same results from 140 NPT's from the 7/08,280 Remington,7x57, and 7 Rem Mag. A 150 NPT from the 270 will do the same things.

I have had good blood trails and exits from 130 gr Speer Hot Cores as well.
Nothing wrong with 150's

1 hole in 1 hole out follow blood 20-40 yards drag deer, process deer, eat deer.

Mike
I ran strictly 150 BTs on deer and loved them, at 2850 or so, and Partitions when in Elk country.

140 AB is my pick for deer, if only for a tad less recoil, and good speeds, unless shooting really far. Then, the 150 would again, be my ticket.

Ran several 270s, and IME, the 130s never shot as well, busted a doe at 80 yds with a 700 MR in college, those older BTs might have been softer, but it was hell on that deer. Ran as far as normal 50 yds or so, soup inside, exited but no bones hit. Just too destructive for me, and again, they never shot like 150s. My experience, my rifles/loads.

If I run a 130, I will pick a 6.5mm - just me. Nothing wrong w/a corelokt, but I believe other bullets are superior in accuracy, and retain speed better. ANY bullet made for hunting in 130-150 spells death, but as above, I prefer exits.

If you are hunting the woods, I would consider a 160 Partition, less speed/MORE edible venison, should always exit.
130TTSX in Barnes VorTx ammo has worked well for me.

reason

Then the answer is clearly a bullet with more penetration. Cup and Core 150's, or "tougher" 130's (Partitions, Accubonds, TSX's. etc, as others have stated, would address your issue.
130 Federal Fusion shoots great out of my .270 and has gone through some big (200+ dressed) deer in Northern MN for me.

That said, my Core-Lokt handloads have killed 'em just as dead and also exited.

A .270 is "enough gun" for deer with almost any bullet of either weight.
130 grain Sierra-Some of the best Deer medicine made for the .270 Win.

Jayco
Used the Serria 140 HPBT and Horn. SST's in mine..Both performed quite well..
If you hand load, the plan jane 130 gr Speer SP flat base is about as good a cheap bullet you can buy and works very very well on White Tails, I should know for some years i shot deer on a crop damage permit and I used a 270 and 130 gr Speer SP's over 57.5 gr IMR-4831 in a Winchester Western Case. If you don't hand load, Give the Fusion 130 gr load a try if it groups well you are all set. I shoot 150 gr Fusion 7mm RM for my deer hunting these days, its a fine bullet and load at a reasonable price.
130 grain partition over 59 grains of 4831
i dont handload unfortunately tho i plan to. my cousin does and i may do some reloads with him.

reason

Where did you hit those four deer? It seems odd to me that you wouldn't get decent blood trails on whitetails with that combo.
130's all the way, between the two. Better yet a 110gr Barnes TTSX at 3300fps or a bit more. Will out hit and out kill any lead core 130 or 150 out there, and shoot flatter plus give more dramatic, quick kills.

Avoid Sierra bullets like Bubonic Plague.
One of my first rifles was a 264 Win Mag. I lost the first deer I shot at with it and it was a good solid hit but evidently poor bullet selection. I shot a doe with a 30-06 and 165 grain bullet - hit the deer in the shoulder, blew up the shoulder, but the bullet didn't enter the chest cavity. My Brother-in-law used the same bullet in a 300 Win Mag and lost his first elk with it. The blood trail lasted until dusk when he finally gave up - he was an excellent tracker.

Having said that bullet weight isn't the entire story. I don't like cartridges that push light bullets fast for big game. Cause I usually use cup and core bullets due to cost. But not all bullets, even cup and core bullets are equal. I'd name what I think are the worst bullets, but that would hi-jack the blog and there would be a trial of oh-ya's. But the smaller the caliber to case ratio the more need for better constructed bullets and/or heavier bullets for the caliber. For me I'd use the 150's over the 130's with many of the bullets on the market. But for the better cup and core bullets, I think you could go with either weight (I'd still go 150's).
My favorite cup and core bullet is Hornady interlock and my second favorite is Remington CL's (I find the Hornady's a little more accurate - both work well on game. My go-to bullet for more money is the Nosler Partition. I've been using them since they produced them on screw machines and have never been let down. I've had bad luck with one other of the premium bullets. But I won't say which -- no need in getting in a p***ing contest.
i dont handload unfortunately tho i plan to. my cousin does and i may do some reloads with him.

Federal loads the partition in there vital shok line. Thats the load I used before I had dies for my 270
Originally Posted by safariman
130's all the way, between the two. Better yet a 110gr Barnes TTSX at 3300fps or a bit more. Will out hit and out kill any lead core 130 or 150 out there, and shoot flatter plus give more dramatic, quick kills.

Avoid Sierra bullets like Bubonic Plague.

Gotta disagree with you, Mark. I've had excellent service out of Sierra bullets on whitetails, always. Never had an issue with them dropping deer within a few yards. Then again, I don't take chancy shots any more, either. I'm pretty choosy about where and when I shoot 'em.
I've been using 150 gr. speer hot cors for years. They don't bloodshot up much meat and kills 'em dead.
I've made one-shot drops on deer with bullets from 55 - 405 grains...

I don't think the difference between a 130 and a 150 is going to matter in the least.

Good luck on your hunt!

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I've been using 150 gr. speer hot cors for years. They don't bloodshot up much meat and kills 'em dead.

ditto! Ive never had a reason to change from the 150 speer and H4831 with a 215 fed primer, its worked for everyone in our elk camp for decades
work up the load your rifle likes but some place in the 56-58 grain range should work

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=270%20Winchester&Weight=All&type=Rifle

don,t get hung up on velocity just get the most accurate load, and place the shot where it does the most good
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Switch to the 130 accubonds. There's no need for a 150 on deer, you just need a better constructed bullet.

reason

I have to agree. I had the same experience with the 130 Ballistic Tips and was NOT impressed. In fact, the 150 Ballistic Tips were not a lot better. Today, I understand Nosler has toughened the BTs somewhat. Good thing because the older ones were very fragile and explosive.

However, deer I've shot using regular 150 soft points have not gone far, had extensive damage and exit wounds!

Hard not to like 150s. If shooting 130s I would use Partitions or TTXS.
i have about half a box of 150gr corelokt in 270win

Use them!
i will but i need more and im havn trouble finding 150gr corelokts
In my neck of the woods deer must not be as tough as they are in other areas. 130 grain Core-Lokts are all I shoot in my .270. If the deer isn't DRT there is always a good blood trail.
Shoot the 140gr Nosler AB and don't look back! A great hunting bullet with a good BC.
Originally Posted by 340mag
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

ditto! Ive never had a reason to change from the 150 speer and H4831 with a 215 fed primer, its worked for everyone in our elk camp for decades
work up the load your rifle likes but some place in the 56-58 grain range should work

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=270%20Winchester&Weight=All&type=Rifle

don,t get hung up on velocity just get the most accurate load, and place the shot where it does the most good
[Linked Image]I use 57.5 grs. of H-4831 velocity is right at 2800 f.p.s.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Use what ya got if you're rifle likes it. I like 130 Speer Grand Slam and 60gr of 7828 has taken more deer than any other bullet for me...however I'm using Hornady SST 130s this year(my rifle REALLY like 'em). 20 more grains won't kill 'em any deader.
I use 150g SSTs in the 270, about 2900-2950fps. Yes they do tear up a bit of tissue but they kill deer (and pigs, hundreds of them, and the odd goat) very well and they shoot accurate and flat.

At present I am trialing some 150g NBTs around 2850fps and they shoot as accurate or even a little better than the SSTs. Yet to use them on game yet.

I found 130 grainers kill great when broadside but not as good as the 150s when the angle was unfavourable.
There is hardly a bad bullet in the 130-150 weight range for the 270Win when talking deer. But if you must have the best, then load a Nosler 130 Partition, go hunting, kill deer, be happy and worry about boots, knives or scopes maybe because your bullet concerns are over.
im gonma buy a box of the partitions and c what they do
I am generally a heavy for caliber guy but I will admit the 130s in a .270 are impressive. I was with a friend that took a very large Nebraska buck with a 130gr Winchester Power Point. I guess he must have hit it perfect but it put the smack down on that deer. I was like........ Damn, nice shot!
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I am generally a heavy for caliber guy but I will admit the 130s in a .270 are impressive. I was with a friend that took a very large Nebraska buck with a 130gr Winchester Power Point. I guess he must have hit it perfect but it put the smack down on that deer. I was like........ Damn, nice shot!

The 270 will do that, as unfashionable as it may be.
bobnob, the 270 is only unfashionable here smile

But this place ain't normal. grin
I use Federal 150 grain. Why? 'cause back in 2001, when the KMart in Kendall FL (Miami) was going out of the ammo biz, I bought over a thousand rounds at $1/box of 20.
Still shooting the dang things. Upside, is that I have not had to change zero on my Leupold since then.
A 270 loaded with 130 Partitions is as ugly as life can get for deer.
jmho
Tim
partitions can b found in factory ammo right? federals guess theyll b a bit hard to find
What is "factory ammo"? That something new???
I am sure someone does load PTs, but don't know who.
The Winchester 130 Power Points are pretty good too.
jmho
Tim
Threading the needle through small openings in the brush with a flat shooting big game load is more effective than plowing a path with a big round nose bullet.

Or not.
140 Accubonds or similar - no downside to it.
I've always used the 130 gr. Core-Lokt factory loads because the rifle likes them so much and they kill deer.

Every deer I've shot must have mistakenly thought they were premium bullets because they all died pretty quick.

I shot 2 last year at about 50 yards or so and they were both bang-flop's. Heart/lung shots with a decent bullet kill things regardless of 20 grains of bullet weight most days.
Yes Federal loads nosler partitions in factory ammo. In several calibers
130gr X bullet...
130gr. Interlocks, puts meat in the freezer every time.
Since the OP does not reload, I would heartily recommend Federal Fusion 130 grain for deer. You won't be disappointed in accuracy or killing power.
Originally Posted by 340mag
...don,t get hung up on velocity just get the most accurate load, and place the shot where it does the most good...

im gonma buy a box of the partitions and c what they do

Two really good ideas right here...
Ain gonna be no deer laffin off them 150 Corelokts. You might be surprised at how little trajectory difference there is with a 130. And, I have shot a shameful number of 130s with no remorse.

In a .270 Win, there are very few poor choices for deer.

They don't "know" it's gay. ;-{>8

The better the shot, the better the bullet.
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
I've always used the 130 gr. Core-Lokt factory loads because the rifle likes them so much and they kill deer.

Every deer I've shot must have mistakenly thought they were premium bullets because they all died pretty quick.

I shot 2 last year at about 50 yards or so and they were both bang-flop's. Heart/lung shots with a decent bullet kill things regardless of 20 grains of bullet weight most days.

Same here. 130 grain Core-Lokt was the first ammo I tried in my .270 and it shot under an inch. So I never tried anything else.

I read an article a couple of years ago that stated cup and core bullets were more effective on whitetails than premium bullets.

Core-Lokts work great for me in 30-06, 30-30 and .270 on deer.
i used to use 130 gr partitions but went to 150 gr partitions when i started taking a 270 after elk. these days i just use the 150's, and am well satisfied.
© 24hourcampfire