Home
I currently have the left bolt gun as my hunting center fire big game rifle. Compact set up in 7mm-08. Nothing at all wrong with it except I need a different stock I think that fits me better.....and the shorter 20" barrel doesn't sit as steady for me with it being lighter and smaller. It has it's place....and I'm keeping it. I just need a different well rounded gun/caliber combination.

Compact on left in Wood Stock
[Linked Image]

Enter in my decision. 24" sporter barreled in 30-06. I love the winchesters made in SC and really prefer the safety system and control feed system. I had my mind set on a 22" Extreme Weather gun but didn't like the stock that came on that gun. I am liking the Monte Carlo stock set up to get a more consistent cheek weld for me and more consistent position for my head. Repeatability equals consistency and that equals accuracy. I didn't see the extreme weathers stock sticking around so I decided on a lower price range M70 if I was going to toss the stock. I went with the Ultimate Shadow Model.

The 30-06 decision was tossed around for months.... I want something I can shoot larger grain bullets, larger selection off the shelf than my 7mm-08 and also availability. .308 is just too similar as the 7mm08 for my purpose (hunting). The 30-06 is flatter shooting than the 308 from what I researched. Large punch and less recoil than 300 Win Mag. Less recoil than 7rem mag........and this gun holds 5 rounds of 30-06.

Scope selection will more than likely be Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36 but may go 3.5-10 x 40. Not sure.

Back to the stock. Research after research I kept coming back to one model stock. McMillan Sako Hunter styled design for the M70. Called McMillan New Hunter. Has the same stock Monte Carlo feature I like in the Browning of my father in laws.

Browning BBR on bottom in 30-06
[Linked Image]

I had to scrape and dig but that McMillan stock was what I had to try out and like they say...cry once when buying something sometimes.

I can say after installing the rifle I have zero regret with that purchase!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to get the scope and rounds down range!

Rifle at this point weighs 7lbs using my bathroom scale minus my weight. Over all length it is 5" longer than my compact with shorter stock and 20" barrel.

I'll glass the rifle in before that time or after I shoot it. I'm undecided on that part at this time.
I love the Sako Hunter.

Good pick.

Travis
Very nice! I bet its a shooter. My S.C. Model 70 sure is. Do a range report once you have it finished.
I sure will! I'm nervousness about glass bedding it.
Nice. I would go FX-3 6X42mm or the VX-3 3.5-10x40mm. I could bed one good if I could do it three or eight times for practice on some old Savage or something first.
All your choices for one do it all gun/scope etc. are sound, logical choices. That one will do it all for you ! laugh

Let me know how it works for you!

I have about 6 'do-it-all' rifles now���.. whistle
Yessir, that's a solid setup.

(Where'd all these NC posts come out of the woodwork all of a sudden on this thread?)
Think we just drawn to nice rifles ha ha !
Nice! Yep a 3.5-10x40 will round that rifle out well!
It's a sickness perversion.
And I'm kinda sorta headed in a similar direction with a 30-06. Cept I caught a New Haven SS Featherweight with pretty doggone good wood for a decent price. Debating the fine points of the VX3 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 . Leupold just came out with a $80 rebate coupon for a few versions of the VX3 3.5-10 and 4.5 to whatever. That's probably going to be the tie breaker. Hijack over.
I like the extra mounting space/tube length on the 3.5-10X vs the 2.5-8 on a long action.
The tilt is tipping towards the 3.5-10 scope. Missing ingredients... Cash at the moment. A month ago I didn't have the rifle or stock so I don't mind waiting a tad more.
I am getting a win m70 black shadow blind feed mag and am thinking of getting a McMillan stock. Yours looks great.
Nice setup.

I find that I usually have my eye on yet another "last one do-it-all" rifle before I've even shot the previous one.
I agree with you I like prefer the 3.5-10 on a long action. My rifle is a 30-06 Beretta Mato with both wood and fiberglass stocks. The scope is a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select.
Hummmmm. Looks like my Bushnell Elite 4200 will be replaced that wasn't holding zero. Might be using the new replacement one until I can purchase the Leupold.
Originally Posted by blgoode
The tilt is tipping towards the 3.5-10 scope. Missing ingredients... Cash at the moment. A month ago I didn't have the rifle or stock so I don't mind waiting a tad more.

I have a Leupold VX2 3.5-10 CDS on my Browning X-Bolt 30-06, which I really like. The addition of turret really enhances the longer-range capability of the cartridge, especially with higher-BC bullets.
Originally Posted by shootem
It's a sickness perversion.

whistle

The 3.5-10x40 is a very good choice. It will look and work great on that rifle..
For an "all around rifle" the 2-8 is MUCH more practical than the 3.5-10. 8X is plenty of top end magnifcation and I know you will really appreciate the greater field of view when comparing 2x to 3.5X when animals are close or you are hunting in timber. Great rifle, well done!
Color ratio on the stock?
Not sure of color ratio. Stockysstocks had it has olive marble
wish ida just bought one from stockys instead of ordering one and being forced to wait half a year.
Nice rifle and digging that McMillan as well. Another vote for the Leupold 3.5-10x40, but I'm a bit biased there as that's my favorite hunting scope. What bullets you going to try?
I'm going to try 165 grins. 150 and even 180s and see what flys where.
I like the stock a lot and like a Monte Carlo myself for a solid cheek weld. Nice lookin gun ad great do it all caliber. Try the 165's, they will not disappoint
This scope will be replaced as soon as I can. It's a new replacement Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 just received today.
Talley Lightweight rings
McMillan New Hunter Stock
Winchester M70 24" sporter in 30-06

[Linked Image]
Whilst no flies on the Leupold, don't need to be in a hurry to replace Elite.
Originally Posted by avagadro
Whilst no flies on the Leupold, don't need to be in a hurry to replace Elite.

The last Elite wouldn't hold zero so I'm having trust issues smile
Is the McMillan hunter an edge or std fill? Very nice rig, btw!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
It's standard fill. I'm not going after super light or heavy. Trying to bridge the gap between a heavier and light rifle. So far with bathroom scale this is coming out unloaded between 8-8.5 lbs
Thanks, good to know.
Pat

hehe. bedded my first rifle this summer. kinda a nervous / uneasy feeling until you get the action out. smile

I used the brownells kit and play doh and all was good .

Dave
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

hehe. bedded my first rifle this summer. kinda a nervous / uneasy feeling until you get the action out. smile

I used the brownells kit and play doh and all was good .

Dave

I was nervous even after my 10th. Now it's just like puting my shoes on in the morning wink
Do you focus on the whole action or just the recoil lug and rear tang?
My buddy I'm going hunting with this time next week was kind enough to get the scope dialed in to speed things up when I shoot it Sunday. This is where he got it yesterday at 100 yards with 150 grains. I'm hoping to dial it in with 165 grains this weekend!! Sometimes I hate things get in the way and I couldn't dial it initially myself but I'm also glad he offered to help out!! Means I'll be toting this around Pisgah National Forest in a week!!

[Linked Image]
nice finished product, hope it gives you years and years of enjoyment and success...
I just can't believe I held that tight with zero bedding.
i bedded an inch forward of the lug i believe. then back to the tang. I am sure someone alot more knowledgeable will chime in, i watched several youtube videos and read a couple m700 specific howto's for mine.

it tightened up the groups on mine after I did. best group so far is 5/8" @ 100 yds with factory barnes loads. it'll damn sure shoot better than I can.

Dave
Thanks for the info!
blgoode, that is one more beautiful rig. I particularly like that new hunter stock. Do you know if they offer it for the fwt. conture mod. 70?
They do offer it in fethwt but not in stock at stockysstocks. I got lucky!!!
© 24hourcampfire