Home
Posted By: Slidellkid Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/17/13
I don't reload any more; probably will in the next year or so but can't at the moment. I am looking to purchase a new rifle, probably in a moderate caliber in 243 or 7mm-08. I want it to be sub MOA from the factory. I realize the new Vanguard is sub moa and that is a good option but are there any other rifles out there I should consider. I don't really care for the ergonomics of the Thompson Center rifles. I was thinking about a Tikka, but have never owned one. Let me know what you think.

Dan
Just get the Tikka....
Posted By: Royce Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/17/13
Get the Tikka- But don't loan it out- You'll never get it back-
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/17/13
Another vote for Tikka. I've owned a Vanguard and they are great budget rifles but they are heavy. I prefer Tikka unless I was wanting a Wby caliber.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/17/13
I have 3 Tikkas and they are excellent. I know people gripe about the plastic magazine, trigger guard, bolt shroud. But, remember other guns made with the same polymer, i.e. glock, Xd's, etc. The barrels are awesome and twisted correctly, the action is slick as snot and they shoot. My 6.5 Swede and 308 are the most accurate guns I own. If I could get a Lite in 260 that would be perfect.
Id go the Weatherby mountain rifle.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/17/13
Weatherby Back Country, Google it
I have never owned a factory or custom rifle yet that will outshoot my Tikka.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/18/13
The tikka T-3 rifles are not near the gun the old 595-695's were IMO To me the worst thing about the Tikka's are the damn 3 round plastic clips
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/18/13
Get a Tikka, or if you hate plastic get a pre 75 Sako.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/18/13
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Damn, thats damn near unbelievable. Of course if its a sample of one Tikka I could see it.
Buy a Tikka
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/18/13
Reminds me of an infamous statement: If you like your Tikka you can keep it".
Posted By: john843 Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
I picked up a new Ruger Hawkeye All-weather stainless last week in 7mm08 and was very pleasantly surprised with the accuracy right out of the box. I've owned various tang safetys and MkIIs, and the accuracy has been a real mixed bag. I needed to get it sighted in fairly quick so I grabbed a box of Hornady Whitetail, 139 gr. interloks just to get it huntable and ended up putting 3 three-shot groups at .6, .7, and .6 after a couple of fouling shots. The trigger is no Jewell, but is certainly acceptable for what will probably be a foul weather/loaner gun. I believe I would at least consider it.
Posted By: msgtmike Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
I also would recommend the Tikka.

Have 5 of them, (2) 223's, 243, 6.5x55 and 300WSM. Everyone are true sub .75 moa rifles out of the box, with the exception of the 300WSM. I have that one shooting around 1 moa. That rifle gives me headaches even with the Deaccellerator pad and brake. Maybe why that one doesn't shoot quite as well as the others. All of mine are in the T3 Stainless Lite configuration.

The 243 will shoot dime sized groups very consistently with Varget pushing a Sierra 85 HPBT.

If (God forbid) I had to give up all but one of my rifles, the last one left would be the 6.5x55. It is a tack driver with 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips and the 142 SMKs. Maybe they wont keep up 100% with my target rifles, but they are close, and I wouldn't consider carrying my target rifles up and down the hills all day.

When I first bought my first Tikka, I took a ribbing from some of my shooting buddies. Then I let them hold it... then I let them shoot it. No more laughing. You can carry them all day and when needed, it puts the bullets right where the cross hairs are.

That 6.5x55 ticked off a buddy of mine a couple of years ago when sighting in for deer season. The rifle printed a 3/4" group at 200 yards... his custom 6.5-284 was a little over double that.

My brother in law has a 308. I offered to handload for him. His reply... "Mike, that rifle shoots the cheap Remington factory into 1/2"... can your handloads do better?"

No need for bedding job, trigger job... just buy it and shoot it.

Semper Fi,

Mike
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
I know this won't be a popular suggestion with many, but I'd give a Browning rifle (A-bolt or X-bolt) a close look. They have good ergonomics and an excellent reputation for accuracy. Some tout problems (very few of which are first-hand, by the way), but I've hunted an A-bolt for over a decade without a single issue. You can also score some good deals on previously loved/hated Browning rifles, since they suck and all... wink
Posted By: RenoH414 Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
Tikka and done.

Reno
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
Tikka, no brainer.
Posted By: SAUMHUNTER79 Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
I'd probably go with a Weatherby Vanguard (Series 2 Stainless in .308 to be exact), just because it has the Sub-MOA guarantee with Weatherby or premium factory ammo, since that's the kind of accuracy you want. A lot of other rifles can shoot sub-moa with handloads, but no guarantee with premium factory ammo like the Weatherby.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
Give Browning a look. I've owned more than a dozen and they shoot.

They're not a "one load-one bullet" gun. IME, they usually shoot a variety factory ammo and bullets well.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Give Browning a look. I've owned more than a dozen and they shoot.

They're not a "one load-one bullet" gun. IME, they usually shoot a variety factory ammo and bullets well.

I agree, while the Tikka T3 is a great choice don't over look a used A-Bolt II or newer X Bolt.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/19/13
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Just get the Tikka....

Sage advice in a few words, bsa.

I have three -- one T3 in 6.5 Swede, two M65s in 30-06 and they ALL shoot bugholes. The T3 is likely the most accurate, but I have shot sub MOA out of all of them. The T3 has never shot a group as big as MOA -- of the perhaps 10 or 12 loads I have shot, the largest was 15/16", but the largest after that was 3/4", and several around the 5/8" and several bumping into the 1/2" zone. Hard for me to pick a load that won't work. wink
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
I realize it's a sample of one, but my CZ-550 is MOA or better with everything that's been down the tube...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
I would get a new S.C. made Winchester Model 70 unless you are looking for a beater/truck gun.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Get the Tikka
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Originally Posted by Royce
Get the Tikka- But don't loan it out- You'll never get it back-

that's what I've been saying for about 13-14 years now...
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Thompson Center Icon Precision

or the

Precision Hunter my personal favorite.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Another vote for Tikka. Mine shot so well (.30-06) I bought another in 7mm-08. Good thing, too, 'cause my dad now has the .30-06.
My brother liked mine so much he bought three.

The Weatherby Back Country was mentioned but you can buy 2 Tikkas for the same price and the BC won't shoot any better. I know because I have one.

P
Another Tikka shooter here that can suggest one without reservation.

My chopped 20" T3 .308 has turned into my "all around", hunt everything rifle.

Very hard to go wrong with tight shooting Tikkas.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
if you won't settle for anything less than moa, get a rifle guaranteed to do moa, such as certain rifles from weatherby, fn win model 70 (my supergrade was and is with factory ammo), and i'm sure there are others with that guarantee. anything else would seem a crap shoot. seems sako also makes the moa claim, and perhaps tikka does as well.
Posted By: Gohip2000 Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Of the guns now days
Tikka and sako are consistantly the most accurate off the shelf rifles I've owned in the past 3 years. they consistently shoot sub moa 5 shot groups and all have shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with handloads or the right factory loads. I owned a 223, 270 win, 30-06

I've had good luck with accuracy in the ruger hawkeyes also.
the one CZ in 375 h&h I had was sub moa also.

For me, If I want a sure bet, it's going to be a tikka or sako.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Originally Posted by rost495

Damn, thats damn near unbelievable. Of course if its a sample of one Tikka I could see it.

Jeff it took me a long time to finally admit my Tikka .270 will outshoot my Surgeon .243 to the 800yard line, after that the extra BC of the Dtacs takes over and kicks butt. I dont post groups with my tikka because anyone other than a tikka slut will call me a liar.

To the OP, get a tikka of your favorite flavor, go with DNZ rings and your good to go.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
The Forbes rifle should be sub MOA.

I'll be trying one out when the short SS action comes out next year.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2013/08/16/forbes-model-24b-rifle-review/
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Originally Posted by gohip
Of the guns now days
Tikka and sako are consistantly the most accurate off the shelf rifles I've owned in the past 3 years. they consistently shoot sub moa 5 shot groups and all have shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with handloads or the right factory loads. I owned a 223, 270 win, 30-06

All of them have consistently shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with factory fodder and handloads?

A 5 shot 1 MOA factory rifle is a pretty rare bird in my experience and you've got 3 that will go half of that?

You got some special Tikkas... and should buy lottery tickets at your first opportunity, because that's better than any factory rifle I've ever shot or been around - and not by a small margin.

Of the guns now days

All of them have consistently shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with factory fodder and handloads?

A 5 shot 1 MOA factory rifle is a pretty rare bird in my experience and you've got 3 that will go half of that?

You got some special Tikkas... and should buy lottery tickets at your first opportunity, because that's better than any factory rifle I've ever shot or been around - and not by a small margin.

Yes, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. the 270 would shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards, 5 shot groups, if I didn't screw up any shots and it was a calm day. you read right every tikka and sako I've owned has been able to do 5 shot 1/2 moa with no modifications including the original plastic stock.

Have you ever owned a tikka or sako?
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Yes, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. the 270 would shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards, 5 shot groups, if I didn't screw up any shots and it was a calm day.

Your Tikka will consistently shoot 1/4" five-shot groups at 100 yards? That's mighty impressive.
Originally Posted by rost495

Yeah, one Tikka vs. 7 customs. Finally realized customs only offer a custom platform, surely not gauranteed accuracy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And 200 yds:

[Linked Image]

How about 300yds?

[Linked Image]

Ok, let's try 522 yds:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
Of the guns now days

Yes, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. the 270 would shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards, 5 shot groups, if I didn't screw up any shots and it was a calm day. you read right every tikka and sako I've owned has been able to do 5 shot 1/2 moa with no modifications including the original plastic stock.

Have you ever owned a tikka or sako?

Nope, but FIL has 2 (Both .270's ??) that I sighted in before every hunting season for several years. Good shooters, on par with my rifles, but neither was near a 1/2" or especially 1/4" 5 shot rifle.

To have 3 that will do that is amazing. Consistent 1/4" 5 shot strings is getting into custom bench gun territory.

the 1/4" groups was the 270 with 140 accubonds letting the barrel cool every 2 shots. All the others can keep the 1/2" mark with the right loads and even a few factory loads. the 270 would consistently shoot 1/4 with the right loads, but that doesn't mean I could consistently hold those groups all the time.

My current 30-06 I took out yesterday and shot another 1/2" with 168 hornady HP.
Tikka and sako is what made me realize the importance of no wind and even what type of rest your using along with consistent shoulder pressure and grip on the gun.

I will agree I don't like all the plastic, but I just cant argue with that kind of accuracy.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sub MOA Rifle Options - 11/20/13
As I mentioned on another thread, the best sniper trainer in the world, or at least one of the best, highly recommends the T3 for sub MOA accuracy. He said something to the effect of "you ought to see the look on people's faces when I tell them that, and unless you want to spend over $5000 you won't find a better shooter, and sometimes you won't find a better shooter even then."
JG: a well known gunsmith told me he recommends Tikka T3's to people when they ask him what good factory rifle to get.
© 24hourcampfire