Home
Posted By: CRS Browning BAR rifle ? - 11/30/13
I am looking for opinions on the Browning BAR rifle.

Specifically what I am looking at is the ShortTrac Hog Stalker.
I really like the lighter weight as compared to an AR platform.
I had traded into a R25 in 308, but was miserable to carry. So down the road it went.

Performace/durability issues etc? Any thoughts appreciated.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 11/30/13
I've had a .308 ShortTrac for several years, never had any issues, shoots great, cycles every time. Great rifle.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 11/30/13
One problem, the wife stole it..she thinks it's hers now. She might be right.

It's great for women and kids. Short LOP and minimal recoil since an autoloader.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 11/30/13
don't get it wet, bare steel chamber rusts, you never get all the rust out chamber becomes rough, becomes a single shot at times. I got a MP10 with the pencil barrel that is 10 pounds full up with LT-104, 3x9x36, and 10 rounds of ammo. If you add a 1 pound scope to the BAR, put 5 rounds in the belly and a sling on it 8 pounds??
Posted By: jt402 Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/01/13
I have had BARs since the early seventies. When I was a strapping young guy, the weight was no problem. Most shot from excellently to plenty good for game.

Age has changed all that. I have only a Grade III, .30-06 left.

I am trying to get a light weight Zenith model (shorter, fluted barrel-just over six pounds) imported from Europe. Failing that, a short trac .308 is my next choice. Realistically, I'm ok with the one I have. I don't walk far anymore.

Add: are not most chambers bare steel? I know that chrome chambers carried over from the M-16 to some AR makers. Most bolt and lever guns are raw steel.

Jack
Posted By: CRS Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/01/13
I am thinking I can get under 8# all up with a browning. The Hog Stalker has a heavy non-fluted barrel. I could get it fluted to easily knock another 1/2 to 3/4# off.

Not worried about getting it wet, simple maintenance is easy. I have hunted all sorts of weather and have not rusted a chamber yet.

I actually prefer approx. 7.5#. Light enough to carry all day and heavy enough to settle down.

I have also thought about building a 6.8 SPC on an AR platform. Weight is extremely important factor. I do not need super lightweight, just do not want anything over 8. 10 is out of the question.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/01/13
Mine weighed 6 lb 10 oz. Without scope/bases and rings.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/01/13
yes most chambers are bare steel but it don't matter so much in a bolt gun if it gets a dust of rust in it. I have seen a dozen Remington auto's and 1 BAR that were single shots.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/01/13
Originally Posted by jimmyp
don't get it wet, bare steel chamber rusts, you never get all the rust out chamber becomes rough, becomes a single shot at times.

Huh??? Where are these BAR rifles with bare, non-lined chambers?

BARs have a chrome-lined chamber, see below. As far as I know, all vintages came this way.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=98
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/01/13
What "can" rust and be a problem are the gas piston and cylinder. This assembly should not be heavily lubed or it will foul and get gummed-up. You also don't want to let bore solvent run down the barrel and collect in the piston/cylinder assembly.

I had one BAR MKII in 270 Win. It shot 140gr NAB handloads at 1-1.25", 5-shots at 100 yards. When I got it (used) the barrel had finish wear along the left side where the fore-end made contact. I removed wood so it no longer made contact.

The trigger was heavier than I normally like, but the shape of the grip really made controlling the heavy trigger easy. I was going to have a gunsmith work the trigger, but in the end I didn't bother. I still like that grip.

Downsides are that the MKII is heavy, scopes mount a touch higher than I like, and I didn't like having to remove the fore-end for maintenance. I know several BAR owners that clean/inspect before hunting season, check zero, and then don't mess with the fore-end until after the season is done. They don't want changes to the POI.

I sold the BAR to a buddy and suggested that he get 130gr and 150gr Core-Lokts. He's not really a hunter, but I wanted him to zero his scope with readily available ammo "if" he ever went on a hunt. On the first outing, he had 8 rounds, 130gr and 150gr mixed, which measured 5/8". Shot better than my handloads!

Love my BAR!
Posted By: CRS Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/01/13
Thanks for all the input, upon further research, I think the Hog Stalker actually weighs 9.5#. Not an option, will have to look at the lightweight stalker. Which is fine by me, as I can get one in 7mm-08 which is preferred over a 308.

Sounds like the mechanics of a BAR are solid. Just need maintenance like any other semi.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/02/13
The BAR is by far the best performing semi-auto centerfire hunting rifle there is.. Just keep 'em clean, chamber especially, and they'll run for years. The ONLY thing I run into from time to time as an issue will be you'll eventually need a new timing latch pin. A $5.00 item and it takes about a half-hour to install..

Piece of cake.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/02/13
no they don't have chrome lined chambers, the idiot at Browning that put this on the website is wrong as I have two friends with BAR's with rust in them. and I just called Browning, no stainless guns, no chrome lined BAR chambers....

get one of these for the same weight with nitrited corrosion resistant barrel and easy 3 times more accurate than what I have seen out of BAR's.

SW MP10.
Posted By: NHOGHVN Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/03/13
I just don't see a non chrome lined chamber as an issue in a hunting rifle. If it gets wet I clean it.

As far as accuracy goes my current BAR is a 1/2" gun with factory Barnes VOR-TX ammo (.243) for 3 shots.

If I'm going to hunt with a AR I'll take a 16" AR-15 in 6.8 w/ Hornady 120gr. SST's. Much lighter. ymmv
Posted By: autoloader Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/03/13
Every BAR that I've bought has had a chrome plated chamber and I've been buying them since 1972. My Shorttrac 7mm-08 is an excellent rifle.
Posted By: CRS Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/03/13
Great discussion, I really appreciate the info.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/03/13
you are flat wrong. Call Browning.
where do you live? If west of Mississippi chromed chamber is probably not an issue.
Posted By: InTheWoods Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/03/13
From Browning's Web Site:

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=98
call Browning and speak to the technician, the website is wrong.
Posted By: CRS Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/03/13
I live in western SD. Not a lot of humidity out here. But I am not afraid to get out and hunt in snow/sleet/rain.

jimmyp has swayed me, as if I am going to be spending that kind of money, an AR based variant could work. I just do not want an rifle that weighs 9 plus pounds.

The Browning BAR Hog Stalker is 9.5 bare.

The MP10 is 7.7 pounds, I would like to keep it under 8.

A MP10 would be absolutely functional and some parts could be changed out at a later date for some weight savings. IF I decided it needed it.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Browning BAR rifle ? - 12/03/13
Oh good LORD! If you take even a little care of the damn thing and don't treat it like a tomato stake it ain't gonna rust! GEEZ!

If it gets wet, do a field strip on it and wipe it down with an oily rag and run a patch through the barrel.....just like anyone should do with any kind of firearm. Like I said before....GEEEEEZ!
© 24hourcampfire