Home
I got my new Tikka T3 Lite stainless today. After a few mods she'll be ready to go.

Now for the fun part: load development.

I have 180 Partitions, 180 Accubonds, and 168 BTs. For a do-it-all (antelope/deer/elk/zombie) load, which one should I start with?

Using Ramshot Hunter, Remington brass, and CCI200 primers.

P
Are you going to use one load for every thing? I'f that is the plan if so I would go with 165 partions 58 gr of H4350. Or I would load all three and see what it likes
From your list, 180 partitions for a do all.

I am going to try 165gr GMX, then TTSX, TSX for a do all in my new 30-06.

I have 180gr partitions also, but I am going to save them for a 300 H&H I am having built.
180 partitions and H4350= match made in heaven...
I'd make starting loads with all three bullets and see which is most accurate. I suspect the Partitions won't be, but one never knows.

Once that is done, I would play with charge weights and see which charge is best.

Finally play with seating depths.

This doesn't always produce the absolute best results, as there's lots of possible combinations, but it is a basic and straightforward way to get a good load.
180 partitions shot fine out of my 30-06 Tikka "super" lite but nothing shot as good as 50 grs of IMR 4064 and Barnes 168 TSX. It would do .75 inch at 200 yards.
With Hunter I would proceed with both 180s. Partitions shoot as well in my rifle as Accubonds.

I use CCI250s, and between 58.0 and 59.0 of Hunter. Partitions seem to like a half grain more powder in my rifle than Accubonds. I use 58.3 grains Hunter with 180 ABs, and 58.8 grains with 180 PTs.

Good luck!
Select your choice of the 'best' bullet for the purpose and develop the best load for that bullet.

Of course if it's not accurate enough then select another bullet.

I'd lean towards the Partitions if you can find a load your rifle likes.
My do all load in my 30-06 Mountain rifle is 165 grain partitions over 59.0 grains of H4350, Win brass and WLR primers. In my rifle substituting 165 Sierra bullets gets to virtually same impact point and useful for practice. My rifle also shoots 165 grain Win factory ammo to almost the same impact point at 100 yards.
The 180 Partitions are no doubt the deepest-penetrating on the list, but I'd happily use any of the three for an all-around load, since the 168's are among the heavy-jacket Ballistic Tips and act quite a bit like Partitions and AccuBonds when they hit stuff.

I'd start with the 168's and work up to 60+ grains of Hunter to see how the rifle shoots, since they're the lowest-priced. If your rifle shoots them well, then drop the load a couple grains and try the 180's. If your rifle doesn't shoot the 168's very well, Id suspect something is wrong with the rifle, and fix it before trying the more expensive 180's.

I doubt you'll have any problems getting any of them to shoot, but I always start with the cheapest accurate bullet, rather than the most expensive!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The 180 Partitions are no doubt the deepest-penetrating on the list, but I'd happily use any of the three for an all-around load, since the 168's are among the heavy-jacket Ballistic Tips and act quite a bit like Partitions and AccuBonds when they hit stuff.

I'd start with the 168's and work up to 60+ grains of Hunter to see how the rifle shoots, since they're the lowest-priced. If your rifle shoots them well, then drop the load a couple grains and try the 180's. If your rifle doesn't shoot the 168's very well, Id suspect something is wrong with the rifle, and fix it before trying the more expensive 180's.

I doubt you'll have any problems getting any of them to shoot, but I always start with the cheapest accurate bullet, rather than the most expensive!

SPS has 180 partitions (over runs/firsts) on sale quite often which makes them pretty reasonably priced bullets. I still have 700 of them from the last time they were on sale whistle
If your 30-06 is anything like the 5 or so I load for, almost anything will work. That case is an incinerator. Mine likes lots of combos. With the newer tech bullets, 168 grain bullets are the new 180's. I like the TSX bullets, but even the Hornady Interlocks do a very good job. Buddy dumped a cow moose a few days ago with a Hornady 165 BTSP Interlock pushed by 57 gr of IMR4350, and the moose died on the spot at 200 yards.
Decided against the 7mm-08?
Originally Posted by the_shootist
If your 30-06 is anything like the 5 or so I load for, almost anything will work. That case is an incinerator. Mine likes lots of combos. With the newer tech bullets, 168 grain bullets are the new 180's. I like the TSX bullets, but even the Hornady Interlocks do a very good job. Buddy dumped a cow moose a few days ago with a Hornady 165 BTSP Interlock pushed by 57 gr of IMR4350, and the moose died on the spot at 200 yards.

Pastor brings up a very good point. I love the 165 Hornady sp or btsp in my 30-06's. They make a great paper punching bullet and also do very well on game. However, I think the OP is a "Nosler" man. I also run a 180gr. winchester powerpoint in substitution of a Partition as a practice bullet as well. Works extremely well and I don't have to adjust my seater die...
Odds are they all will shoot, it's an unfortunate downfall of Tikkas.....
Originally Posted by rflshtr
My do all load in my 30-06 Mountain rifle is 165 grain partitions over 59.0 grains of H4350, Win brass and WLR primers. In my rifle substituting 165 Sierra bullets gets to virtually same impact point and useful for practice.

This is exactly what I do,and how I would roll myself.
I heard that somewhere. whistle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have 500 of the Accubonds, 700 BTs, and 875 NPs. I'm in good shape for projectiles.

Originally Posted by 4th_point
Decided against the 7mm-08?

Heck no! I'm just replacing the .30-06 I gave my dad.

I break out in hives if I'm without a .30-06.

Thanks for the replies. I'll start with the Partitions, I guess, and move to the Accubonds. I have 500 of the AB and I haven't loaded any of them yet.

Do I need a magnum primer with the Hunter powder? I generally use CCI200s in the -06 and WLR in the 7mm-08, but I have plenty of each. Would switching to WLR make much of a difference?

P
My 06's like around 58-H4350 and 165/168's as well my go to 49-50 grains of Varget and that weight range. 180's I prefer Hunter as well in the 57-58 grain range with Fed210 primers for me but see little difference when using WLR's. With NAB my guns prefer a jump as well.
With the components that you listed I would use the 180gr Accubonds.
Of those listed, my choice would be the 180g AccuBonds.

For most of my .30-06s my personal choice is 168g TTSX and 168g A-MAX for practice.

For my stainless .30-06, which had a shorter throat, I used 150g AccuBonds with 150g BTs for practice. While I still have some of those loads, that rifle now has a longer throat and can shoot my regular loads.
I'm throwing in with those who use the 165gr NP and 165gr Sierra combo because that continues to work for me. As a matter of fact I'm currently having a pre-64 Mod.70 action fitted with a #3 Hart 30.06 barrel, I'll put it in a McMillan stock and mount a 6x Leupold LR on it. My load will be exactly as described. It'll be an elk, deer slayer deluxe.
Mine is loving the 168 NBT & Hunter sparked by WLRM:

[Linked Image]

With that heavy jacket and high BC it is my "one load to kill them all". After many years of playing I've settled. It shoots beautifully out to 400 yds & going w/ me after pronghorn next October & mulies & elk in the next few years.

Great combo. I leave the "special" bullets for magnums, personally...
One 'do it all' load for me in the 30-06 is 180gr partition at around 2700fps.

For the whitetail hunting I do I like a 165gr cup and core like the Game King or Interlock, but to do it all it is hard to not pick the 180gr Partition.

Get you a leupold with CDS dials set for each load and call it done! That's what BSA did and I am reaping the benefits from it now.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
One 'do it all' load for me in the 30-06 is 180gr partition at around 2700fps.

For the whitetail hunting I do I like a 165gr cup and core like the Game King or Interlock, but to do it all it is hard to not pick the 180gr Partition.

Get you a leupold with CDS dials set for each load and call it done! That's what BSA did and I am reaping the benefits from it now.

Matt, next time crod1972 has those 180gr. Winchester powerpoints for sale, you should buy about 500 of them for "practice" bullets. My rifles (and your EW) really like those bullets:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Same load for 2 rifles, shoots pretty good...Oh wait, I mean 3 rifles shooting the same load wink whistle:

[Linked Image]
I have killed deer with both partitions and accubonds. The accubonds seem to give me a larger exit hole and just seem to shoot better from my guns. Not dissing the NP though as it has worked well for a lotta years. The last six deer I have shot have all been with the AB and I saw all of them fall.
I'd start with the 168 BT. Then 180 Partition.
© 24hourcampfire