Home
Posted By: jeffbird New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Anyone have any experience with the new Mauser rifles?

The M12 looks interesting.

http://us.mauser-m12.com/m12-features-technical-specifications/

Just curious.
Posted By: Kitch Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Looks good but, it sure doesn't look like the old 98 Mauser I once had, a Czech BRNO Mauser in 30-06. I may have to look into this more. The one thing I didn't care for is the detachable mag box.
Posted By: mlg Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Got one recently in 30/06 and so far I have been very impressed with it.

About the same weight as a T3 with a Conquest 2.5-8 on it in Talley Lightweight mounts.

The trigger is excellent. Lets off from the factory dead on 2 lbs with zero creep.

Shoots under half inch group with 150 TTSXs and R17.

Bolt is very smooth and Bolt lift is 60 degrees so low scope mounting is never going to be a problem. The bolt is very simple to strip & clean too. Locks up in the barrel like a Sauer 101 and in fact it looks very similar to that rifle.

LOP may be a bit long for some -14" but it suits me perfectly.

Mag is detachable via one simple slightly recessed button and in the 06 it takes a genuine 5 easily and feeds flawlessly. Though the mag is synthetic its very well built - a lot thicker in the walls than a T3 mag, for example. Though I havent tried I believe it can take considerable punishment. And yes, it can be top loaded in the action, and very easily so.

Open sights are simple & usable.

Synthetic stock is durable and has a slightly tacky feel but not quite as much as a Hogue. Il like it and its practical

All round, I give it a big thumbs up.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r366/lagrange02/IMG_0157_zpsec336ed5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r366/lagrange02/IMG_0158_zps65966e4b.jpg[/img]

Posted By: pabucktail Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
I'd love one in stainless.
I don't think it will happen smile
I wouldn't mind opting for one in the 98 Mauser action say, in 7x57. What are they costing?
Posted By: 47stalker Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Very nice rifles but Mauser could of refined it further by paying more attention to the Model 70.

[Linked Image]

EW 308Win Model 70 & Extreme 3006 M12 - notice both are in 'full safe'. The Model 70 is a lot easier to manipulate with your thumb - a lot quickly over the 12.

Trigger looks simple enough although no Classic Model 70
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jeffbird Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Originally Posted by Kitch
I wouldn't mind opting for one in the 98 Mauser action say, in 7x57. What are they costing?

They are making new M98's. Don't know the price on those.

The M12 base models are $1,500 - $1,800.

Nice write-up MLG, and good feedback from everyone so far.

M12 - Since you have both, which do you prefer?
The 12 points extremely well with Talley UL & VX6 combo
[Linked Image]
Next to a good Ol Sambar stag rub
[Linked Image]
My Toyota Landcruiser likes it too LOL
[Linked Image]
3 shots at 100m - 286gn Winchester factory rounds
[Linked Image]
Same target this time with 286gn Remington factory rounds. 1 flyer lol
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Recoil lug like that seen on T3
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The bolt makes a lot of contact with the rounds(both sides) unlike some others I have seen! Feeding & extraction is some of the best I've seen from a pushfeed!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dhg Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
With respect to stainless vs CrMo, it depends what the finish is. The more expensive Mauser and Blaser rifles (they are the same stable) are gas or plasma nitrided (as are the anschutz 1780), which is a much better option than stainless in my opinion. There are very good reasons why the military specify the use of 4140 even though they expose their weapons to much harsher conditions to most hunters ever will (ok, the M24 is an exception). The sophisticated nitrided finishes are much more weather resistant than stainless, but also allows use of ole fashioned CrMo steel, which is much stronger than stainless. In fact 4140 has the same strength to weight as titanium. Add in the much greater abrasion resistance and I don't think there is any doubt nitrided CrMo is the best material to be making rifles from. It does require a lot of capital investment though, so to my knowledge only the germans are currently using it.

The question is, is the M12 gas/plasma nitrided (like the M03) or standard blued. I don't know. I know the M12 was very much made with an eye on the US market, and that makes me think it is probably standard blued. Anybody know? Also, is the Sauer 101 the ilaflon finish, or just blued?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Plenty of mag space!
Notice how it has 2 feeding ramps - impressive & very effective!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Thanks M12. I have been thinking about a Mauser. Enjoyed your pics.
Posted By: GF1 Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
That thing would scare the ugly off an ape. Two each his own, and aside from the aesthetics, the plunger ejector and detachable magazine give me shivers.

Any photos of the M98?
Originally Posted by M12
Very nice rifles but Mauser could of refined it further by paying more attention to the Model 70.

[Linked Image]

EW 308Win Model 70 & Extreme 3006 M12 - notice both are in 'full safe'. The Model 70 is a lot easier to manipulate with your thumb - a lot quickly over the 12.

None of the swing safeties though is ever going to be quick to use. Like many folks I have an arthritic thumb and I can't use any of them without taking my right hand of the rifle. It ain't like I'm alone in making this point - Don Heath had made the same point. The safety is actually the greatest weakness of the M70. It is very often fumbled in the heat of the moment and definitely slows getting a first shot off.

Posted By: sir_springer Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Great photos! Sure can't knock it for lack of attention to finish and detail. Sweet looking rifle.

Write up by Boddington in Rifle Shooter Nov. mag...

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2013/11/21/mauser-m12-review/

Now thats the best KIS designed triggers I've yet to have the privilege to use.
[Linked Image]
The 12 is without a doubt one beautifully thought out modern rifle, but, for the man that wants a KIS rig the Classic CRF Model 70 is hard to beat - Mauser claw, integral recoil lug............list goes on
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Since 1945, it seems Mauser has deliberately gone as far away from the classic M98 as a German engineer can deliberately take them.

Never understood that, either. They made the most copied and respected rifle action in the world, and then ran away from it.

Not that the M12 is a bad rifle, or the M66, or some of the others (and there have been a LOT of others), but if it ain't broke (or likely to break) why fix it?
They still make a M98. It is just that they are expensive to make these days, and hence they are expensive to buy and they don't sell many.
Posted By: EdM Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
We just can't get there. A Walther Model B 7x57 here.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: shortleade Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
M12, thanks for the great pics. I just learned that these existed and have been fighting a huge case of want one. In one of the pics, the wrist of the stock looks like it is a good bit thicker than the M70 stock, and that don't thrill me. I also am not crazy about the length of pull. And the way they attach the barrel kinda gives me the willies.

But...still gotta have one!

All said and done, I'd opt for one of the FN Model 70's.
Posted By: BWalker Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/14/13
Originally Posted by M12
Now thats the best KIS designed triggers I've yet to have the privilege to use.
[Linked Image]

Except the Model 70 trigger is made of cheap castings and is rough as a dirt road from the factory.
And from a feed and function point of view very few classics fed worth a darn as they came from the factory.
I love model 70 classics, but most of them are a project in a box.
I did have the opportunity to shoot one. Quite accurate, with an excellent trigger. Magazine is plastic and cheaply made with a release that, IMO, is not quite as secure as it should be. Trigger guard is plastic.

Not bad at it's price point, but again IMO, I'd rather have a Sako 85 for a little more money. Or a Model 70 for a little less money.
Posted By: mlg Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/15/13
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I'd rather have a Sako 85 for a little more money. Or a Model 70 for a little less money.

I have had both the Sako 85 and the M70 in various forms. M70s are good - if you get a good one. Sako 85 is not my idea of a good action. It's a spindly affair with questionable strength. The M12 bolt is twice the size & weight of the 85 and the receiver is a lot heavier.

The Sako also as questionable ejection issues. I had a 9.3 black bear very briefly and found the cases were hitting the scope on ejection. This problem is well documented with their longer actions.

Each to his own I guess. So far the M12 has not put a foot wrong for me. One of its limitations for some may be the small caliber range.

I'll give it a few years and see how it goes. cool
Posted By: BWalker Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/15/13
I can live with the plastic magazine, but I am not sure I can live with a plastic trigger guard.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/17/13
I love that rifle.
not any new ideas here just glad they are using designs that have proven to work over the last 100 years
here is a 90 plus year old lug design. hummm

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: New Mauser Rifles - 12/18/13
Newton rifle?
© 24hourcampfire