Home
Posted By: exbiologist Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
Looks like they are being offered almost across the board.
And claiming a higher grade of wood on Super Grades than they did in the past.
What doesn't make sense is that they aren't chambering it in the super grade
Posted By: ingwe Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
And they aren't chambering it in the Alaskan. WTF?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
And I had one built a few years ago because they didn't offer one.
I want one,but Judy said NO! frown

Still going to try. smile
That featherweight in 300H&H looks interesting
Not even the 7x57 has more panache than a .300 H&H�.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Not even the 7x57 has more panache than a .300 H&H�.
shocked
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Tell her I said it was OK�.

Tell her I said it was OK�.
Ok,I will. grin wink
Why can't they make the Super Grade a tad bit lighter

Ingwe. I've narrowed down the scope choices for at 7x57AI. Either a K4 orK6 Weaver. Which would you choose?
John,I would get the 4x.

Judy said I can get a .300 H&H. YAY!

It was Ingwe permission that did it. smile THANKS INGWE!

Ingwe,Judy said you are now on her schit list,welcome to my world. smile

Going to trade this Remington SPS Varmint .308 in and keep the Leupold 4.5x-14x scope.
[Linked Image]
Which one you gonna get Ken, and i like the 4x
Posted By: RDW Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
Where are ya'll getting this information?

Posted By: BWalker Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
Why would anyone want a 300 H&H?
Originally Posted by RDW

Winchester website
Originally Posted by BWalker
Why would anyone want a 300 H&H?

Slick feeding, cool looking, lots of history and panache and class and style. Some of us like something a little different that what anyone else in camp will likely have.

Heck, if I come into some money (yeah, right) and see a standard or super grade SC made model 70 in 300 H&H I might even have to have one!

Originally Posted by gitem_12
Why can't they make the Super Grade a tad bit lighter

Ingwe. I've narrowed down the scope choices for at 7x57AI. Either a K4 orK6 Weaver. Which would you choose?

K6�since its AIed�. grin
John,I would get the 4x.

I am on a LOT of women's schit lists�.
Posted By: CRS Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
Fantastic news, just as I am having one built! Oh well, the life of a looney.
Posted By: WBill Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
WOW, This is awesome in one manner but really upsets me in other ways! The first is my NH 375H&H Safari Express converted to 300H&H is still not finished. And a standard model would have saved me a butt load of cash! cry

Now hopefully Winchester will start producing 375H&H & 300H&H brass again???? smile

Would like to see Winchester offer the 300H&H in the Alaskan & Super Grade! Heck they offer it in almost all of their other m70's? confused
Are these going to say "BACO", made in Portugal?? sick eek
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Hey, they have to eat too!
Posted By: KDK Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
John,I would get the 4x.

I am on a LOT of women's schit lists�.

If you'd quit stealing their leopard thongs... sick

Man, I was saving for a roll away tool box. I guess that's out the window now...
Posted By: rrogers Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
So the "roll away" tool box rolled away?
Posted By: KDK Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
Lol, pretty much. Apparently, I want another H&H (already have a 721 Remington) more, particularly in an M70. Is it warped that I'm interested in both the EW and the Sporter?
Only $14.5K away from a great rifle.
Posted By: CP Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
I hope someone asked a Winchester representative at the Shot Show for an update on the move to Portugal. I have not seen a Model 70 yet with a Portuguese barrel address. CP.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Only $14.5K away from a great rifle.

Winchester could charge that too if they called it something fancy. Maybe "myth"
Posted By: CRS Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
That is one of the perks of my build, it is going to be a New Haven action with a very nice stock and Dakota open sights to match my 404 J.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/05/14
I will ask the question at DSC next week and if they do, I'm going to order one to go along with my other two M70s!
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I will ask the question at DSC next week and if they do, I'm going to order one to go along with my other two M70s!

Let us know when/if they are moving production to Portugal. Thanks..
Which one you gonna get Ken, and i like the 4x
The Sporter version. Already have a Featherweight(7x57) and a Shadow(.243). Going to use a Leupold 3.5-10x on the .300 H&H and put the 4.5-14x Leupold on my Cooper .22-250.

A 4x on the 7mm Mauser,that goes together like peaches & cream. cool

Do have a 2.5x Leupold Ultralight on my Featherweight.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RDW

Winchester website

Well, every cartridge except for the 264 WM is listed as new for the Extreme Weather. I think they were doing to same crap last year causing all kinds of speculation and rumors.
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by RDW

Winchester website

Well, every cartridge except for the 264 WM is listed as new for the Extreme Weather. I think they were doing to same crap last year causing all kinds of speculation and rumors.

I agree. And it looks like no more 300 win mag either, and I find that hard to believe.

Maybe a SHOT show special 300 H&H, but not available in all the Model 70 lineup. Typo on Winnie's part.....
Looked in the 2013 Winchester catalog and this #535202233 is a Sporter M 70 .300 Win mag. On the 2014 Winchester website the same # is a .300 H&H. Thinking a typo. frown
Maybe they hired Kathleen Sebelius to streamline the website...
eek
Hopefully ammo and cases will be easier to find..
Posted By: johnw Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/06/14
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bet they went offshore because of that outlandish South Carolina union labor???
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/06/14
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Looks like they are being offered almost across the board.
And claiming a higher grade of wood on Super Grades than they did in the past.
Cool.. Now, have they dropped that damned trigger yet?

laugh laugh
And I just traded a mattress for a user 1955 Pre64 so chambered.
Wait....that's still a good deal...:D

A Featherweight so chambered would be excellent.
I'm going to wager that the info on the web site is a typo.

Now, on the other hand if it's not a typo, I'm ordering 2 !
According to a LGS,it's going to be a Shot Show special. Do not know price or model ie..Featherweight or Sporter. But I'm going to trade in the Remington and get a .300 H&H.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
Has to be a website snafu.
It is.
Posted By: johnw Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
Originally Posted by WiFowler

From a practical standpoint the Winnie has all the advantage over the H&H cartridge...

I guess that I could understand the attachment to the cartridge if i'd used it for a lifetime and it was the best at it's game.
But there's a good many who used it extensively who jumped right on the Winnie wagon when it came around.
I am utterly incapable of understanding the attachment for anyone who came of age during or after the 1960s...

In point of fact, I just purchased and am waiting on a .300 H&H to arrive.
But, I bought it for the rifle and not the chambering...
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by WiFowler

In point of fact, I just purchased and am waiting on a .300 H&H to arrive.
But, I bought it for the rifle and not the chambering...

Pretty much my though too. At least for one of the 2 that I'd purchase.
Posted By: reelman Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
Not a typo, they are making 300 H&H rifles, why I don't know though. I'm a M70 guy and my "go-to" hunting rifle is a 1949 M70 in 300H&H but why someone would buy one over a 300WinMag, or even better a 300Wby, is beyond me.
Originally Posted by reelman
Not a typo, they are making 300 H&H rifles, why I don't know though.

So they replaced the 300 Win Mag with the H&H in a bunch of rifles? I'm not buying that.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
Upside is there will be alot of magnum actions to build Bee's and RUM's on..
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by reelman
Not a typo, they are making 300 H&H rifles, why I don't know though.

So they replaced the 300 Win Mag with the H&H in a bunch of rifles? I'm not buying that.
Not replacing the 300 Win mag with the .300 H&H. Just like last year with the Featherweight 7mm Mauser,Winchester will make a limited number.

Rather have a .300 H&H than the .300 Win mag. Had a Winchester .300 H&H about 14 years ago and should've never sold it. Also have a .300 Wby.

When I get the .300 H&H,going to use .30 cal 200 gr round nose Nosler Partitions in it. Found 4 boxes of theses bullets for $21.50.
Only time will tell, but if in fact Winchester does reintroduce the 300 H&H in the M70, I wonder if it will be a TRUE H&H length action. Not just the longer magazine, shorter ejector blade, b ut more importantly the longer ejection port - like the 375 H&H and the Safari Express.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
I'm guessing since they already have the tooling for the larger ejection port for the .375 that they will use it on the .300�or does that make too much sense?
Strange things happen in the gun biz...
Posted By: WBill Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
Question;

When Winchester first offered the 300H&H in the pre-64 was it a true magnum length action...three screw? Then does the magnum length Mauser 98 action have three screw? Or were they both two screws?

Thanks,
Bill
Im not sure, but I don't believe it was a mag length action. We have loads of guys here that know bunches more about Winchesters than I do though. Hopefully one will chime in. I know my post 64 push feed in .300 H&H was a standard length action.
Ingwe, Both of my Safari Express 375H&H's (CRF) are two screw. And have read that is not optimum and some consider them junk because the three screw action are better. So are my actions actually standard length?
Wow. Good question. Again Id have to defer to greater knowledge. You might want to run that question past the guys on the Winchester forum.
But I do get a get out of those that label variances as junk etc. because it doesn't fit what design THEY think should have been used. If thats the case I should have tossed my push feeds into the dumpster a long time ago. grin
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
Winchester never made what some call a true "magnum action". BobinNH will hopefully chime in and give you the straight story all the way.
The Pre 64 M70 H&H actions were basically "opened up" to accept the H&H cartridge.
The 300 H&H was listed in the Extreme Weather a couple days ago, and has been changed to the 300 Win Mag.

I'm going with the H&H being a typo, but I hope I'm wrong.
Thanks for chiming in guys. Thats what I thought but I didn't want to stick my foot too far in my mouth...
LOL, Ingwe! Ya know how some of the guys are, if it ain't like this, you should throw it in the dumpster and buy the right one. Kinda like elitist dog breeders, that dog does not meet standards, and should be put down. But, But he's the best dog I've ever had? crazy

I just measured my Safari Express action and compared it to my wife's custom 7x57 which started life as a left handed 30/06. The actions are both the same length. Even though the 06 action is also a two screw. Learned something today...It's time to go dumpster diving. laugh
Yeah, Ive heard Model 70s revered and blasphemed, and in particular the push feeds labeled as pure crap. But when the time came to cobble together one rifle to do everything, and be exactly the way I wanted it, it was a push feed Model 70, which I have hunted extensively and it has given me zero problems�.

7x57�duh�

[Linked Image]
Ingwe: The PF Model 70s when they first came out (65) were horrible. Winchester was quick to fix the problem and there are some great PF 70s out there, the PH I hunt with (sorry I PAY to hunt with) has one in 458 Winchester that he uses along with his Rigby Double. Very reliable, but unfortunately the Public Relations damage was done and they never recovered.
I remember those early push feeds in the .458 had a wonky stock with impressed checkering, and quite the reputation for breaking at the wrist�. Ive owned a bunch of later model ( 1980s on) push feeds and the only issue I ever had was wearing out an ejector on a .243 after 4500 rounds�.
I will be the first to stand up and say in public I NEVER gave the push feed Winchesters a chance! sick
But it was really not my fault, it was the older guys that input that fear into me. mad
So I've never owned one. crazy I am embarrassed for my ignorance!
No worries. I'll be the first to say I don't understand the cult status of worshipping pre-64s�..
Good rifles, for shure, but so are LOTS of others�.
Originally Posted by handwerk
The Pre 64 M70 H&H actions were basically "opened up" to accept the H&H cartridge.

Thanks, Handwerk, That must be why the true magnum length Mauser 98's are so coveted. Coupled with the fact that they didn't make many of them.
Like Weatherbys Oh grand Poobah grin
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Like Weatherbys Oh grand Poobah grin

I understand the liking for Weatherbys. It is exactly the same mindset, and often the same demographic, that reveres Cadillacs. whistle
Just the 57 Eldorado. Doesn't that make sense? smile

Off the grid for a couple of days, off to Dallas for SCI. I'll miss the AI thread, can you issue an edict to hold off on the thickchicks til I get back???
The '59 with FINS! laugh

I will talk to the boys about holding back the thickness.Have fun at SCI! Don't go broke!
I already am broke!
How you gonna get to the pig hunt?
U going? I have to be openly honest, but it depends who is going and I am sure that cuts both ways... My schedule is also an issue, now that I'm retired and working, leave is a premium. I'd love to go just for the get together.
The 300 H&H was listed in the Extreme Weather a couple days ago, and has been changed to the 300 Win Mag.

You're right,that's a typo along with the Sporter and Featherweight being a .300 H&H.
Yep, Im going jorge.

You're right,that's a typo along with the Sporter and Featherweight being a .300 H&H.

Hackers???? I can not see Winchester doing a typo!

We need someone that lives in Morgan UT and have them go knock on the door and ask, "What's UP with this!" cool

I just called Matt In Morgan and he said he sees nothing new for M70's using a 300H&H for 2014. But that doesn't mean they won't bring one to the shot show next week. They don't tell him what they are doing for the show! That's top secret! All the Part Numbers I gave him are for 300 Win Mags.
Gun websites are famous for typos.

Remington had an incorrect listing on their Model Seven Predator for years.
Oh well, I got excited for no reason. Such a shame, it be great to see the old girl brought back by the folks that first chambered for her in the states. Large MFR that is.
Hopefully the situation is like elkhunternm says, and the H&H will come out in limited numbers of a specific model or two.

I've always really wanted a 300 H&H, for some reason.
Posted By: JasonH Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/07/14
Just called winchester customer service. It is a typo. Damn it! However the guy said that its a very strange typo, and he wouldn't rule out a cabelas special or a shot show special in 2014. Keep your fingers crossed I guess.
Betting a Shot Show special.
Posted By: johnw Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/08/14
Hopefully the situation is like elkhunternm says, and the H&H will come out in limited numbers of a specific model or two.

There's a fair number of them out there for sale. And available in some cool old rifles.

I keep gravitating to this thread because I just bought one. And it'll likely remain chambered as is, but only because it comes with 100 hornady brass.
I talked with customer service and was told that if had 50 people that want one and could get a dealer to go along they would do a special run. That's what I was told!
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
I talked with customer service and was told that if had 50 people that want one and could get a dealer to go along they would do a special run. That's what I was told!

Shouldnt be hard here. A300 h&h SuperGrade has a nice ring to it
M 70 .300 H&H sounds pretty darn good.
elkhunternm - never believed you could make typo's on six (6) different models of the M70 until now. Checked the WIN web-site this AM and all models listed as being H&H (had printed out spec sheets w/ SKU numbers) have been re-listed as WM's. Darn...
Homesteader.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/10/14

Me too, and I dont really know why.. I even picked up a case of 300 H&H ammo while my dad was still working for ATK.

Been shooting a few in my 300 weatherby,but the brass comes out looking all swoll up smile
Originally Posted by Homesteader
elkhunternm - never believed you could make typo's on six (6) different models of the M70 until now. Checked the WIN web-site this AM and all models listed as being H&H (had printed out spec sheets w/ SKU numbers) have been re-listed as WM's. Darn...
Homesteader.
shocked blush smile
Posted By: MGunns Re: Winchester adding .300 H&H - 01/11/14
Blows my mind every year the typos on the new products. I know it's a business but couldn't/wouldn't you want someone releasing info that knew what they were talking about?
Could be "testing" the waters to see the reaction. IDK,we'll find out in the next week or so. Still thinking it'll be a Shot Show special,like the Featherweight in .257 Rbts(2012) and 7x57(2013).
elkhunternm - "Could be "testing" the waters to see the reaction. IDK,we'll find out in the next week or so. Still thinking it'll be a Shot Show special,like the Featherweightk in .257 Rbts(2012) and 7x57(2013)." Agreed...Winchester should know by now that certain calibers (those mentioned in posts) ring bells BIG TIME with a good percentage of the 'fire members.

NOTE TO WIN: Pull the trigger and offer them again.
Homesteader
© 24hourcampfire