Home
I am looking into which scope to put on my new rebuild of a bear rifle. I want a variable 3 x 9 or close to that. It should be a Leupold. But which model ???

50 mm or 40 mm objective? I have never owned a 50mm objective scope so I am unfamiliar with the added weight and size. Red dot or ???

Should I just stick with the tried and true ???
2.5x8x36 no need for the big objective here, duplex reticle.
No wrong answer....
That's kinda what I thought too.

But let me tell ya why I am asking.

We sometimes need to shoot way across a canyon. My .358 Norma Mag will do it and I was hoping to play at that. 400 yards is my cut off point but I can do that and hold a pretty good zero.

I have a 1.75 x 6 Veri-X III that could work but the small objective and lower magnification is tough beyond 100 yards.

So that is my issue. At 200 to 400 my 4 x 12 x 40 Vortex is a great scope but I was wondering about that big bell ringer from Leupold. I have never shot a rifle that has one.

I am afraid it will take away from the lines of the rifle
Go VX6 2-12 than if you want both sides. 3-9 is hard to beat for a do all. My favorite is 3.5-10 but for a bear gun I would want a WIDE field of view or 2.5-8.
Originally Posted by hunting1
Go VX6 2-12 than if you want both sides. 3-9 is hard to beat for a do all. My favorite is 3.5-10 but for a bear gun I would want a WIDE field of view or 2.5-8.

Good point
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
That's kinda what I thought too.

But let me tell ya why I am asking.

We sometimes need to shoot way across a canyon. My .358 Norma Mag will do it and I was hoping to play at that. 400 yards is my cut off point but I can do that and hold a pretty good zero.

I have a 1.75 x 6 Veri-X III that could work but the small objective and lower magnification is tough beyond 100 yards.

So that is my issue. At 200 to 400 my 4 x 12 x 40 Vortex is a great scope but I was wondering about that big bell ringer from Leupold. I have never shot a rifle that has one.

I am afraid it will take away from the lines of the rifle
I've a FX3 6X42 on my .358 Norma and would change nothing about it for brown bear hunting (from alders to tundra). I've taken a number of animals with it and have found it wanting for nothing. I used to have a 1.75-6X32 from Leupold and gave it to a hunting buddy who took a shine to it. I never really cared for it and the 6X42 is light years ahead of it near or far IMO..............
Originally Posted by wildone
2.5x8x36 no need for the big objective here, duplex reticle.

My choice too.
I like a 6x42 even in the thick stuff. It just plain works
Posted By: AMRA Re: Leupold scope / which one ??? - 01/14/14
6x42 HD
VX6 2-12 if you can afford it.

VX3 3.5-10 if you want the inherent goodness.
It's always a good idea to stick to the tried and true when it comes to scopes.
If you insist on an illuminated reticle, I'd look at the VX-R line. Basically the VX3 with a really practical illuminated dot in the center of the reticle. The 3-9X40 VX-R Patrol has all the latest goodies, but no zero stop, in the way of adjustable dials and fancy tactical milling reticle. The adjustments are in 1/10ths of a Mil, not MOA. E
I've owned numerous Leupold 2.5 x 8 x 36 scopes over the years, and they are one of my favorite on hunting rifles. I very seldom shoot past 200 yds. If you look at the std. of 4x per hundred yards for game, that covers it. I stand to be corrected but at one time I do believe that the 2.5 x 8 was Leupold's "brightest" scope. One can also use the reticle subtensions to range with.

[Linked Image]

A while back I picked up a 3.5 x 10 x 50 Leupold with an illuminated reticle. I like scopes with a 44 mm objective or less for most applications, but this sure works fine in low light situations. This scope on my 325 WSM has become my go to hog thumper for "dark-thirty" applications or for hunting hogs at night under lights. Sure makes picking out the crosshairs easier.

If you don't mind using other brands, I've had excellent luck with Zeiss 2.5 x 8's and with pre-enjoyed Ziess Daivari's and Swaro's in 3 x 9. Work great and don't "overpower" a rifle.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB
I've also heard that claim that the 2.5-8 is Leupold's brightest scope.
I can use my vx-r 2-7 like a red dot sight on 2x for moving game or user the ballistic reticle for hits at 500+
2.5-8X36 is your huckleberry.
My choice would also be a 2.5X8, I've got one with a BC reticle and it works well. If your set on the VX-2 3X9 get it with a 40mm objective lens and low mounts so you get a good cheek weld on the stock.

Posted By: 28lx Re: Leupold scope / which one ??? - 01/15/14
Never been a fan of the 50mm objective most of my rifles wear VX 3 3.5X10 VX 2 3X9's or 3X9 Conquest all with the 40mm objectives. I like the scope mounted as low as possible and they have all been plenty bright enough any time it was legal to shoot.
Anything with a gold ring on the front objective will do..
For the best all around option in my opinion nothing beats the (VX-3) 3.5x10x40.

2.5x8x36 is a close second.
2.5-8X36 is your huckleberry..

I'll second that!
Originally Posted by geedubya
I've owned numerous Leupold 2.5 x 8 x 36 scopes over the years, and they are one of my favorite on hunting rifles. I very seldom shoot past 200 yds. If you look at the std. of 4x per hundred yards for game, that covers it. I stand to be corrected but at one time I do believe that the 2.5 x 8 was Leupold's "brightest" scope. One can also use the reticle subtensions to range with.

[Linked Image]

A while back I picked up a 3.5 x 10 x 50 Leupold with an illuminated reticle. I like scopes with a 44 mm objective or less for most applications, but this sure works fine in low light situations. This scope on my 325 WSM has become my go to hog thumper for "dark-thirty" applications or for hunting hogs at night under lights. Sure makes picking out the crosshairs easier.

If you don't mind using other brands, I've had excellent luck with Zeiss 2.5 x 8's and with pre-enjoyed Ziess Daivari's and Swaro's in 3 x 9. Work great and don't "overpower" a rifle.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Great post - just what I wanted to see and the education is appreciated. Seeing the scopes mounted on the rifles gives me a lot to think about.

I am really considering the 2.5x8x36 as an option but the ol' 3.5x10 is hanging in there.

I have not shot througha fixed power scope in a long time but the Weaver I did try was sweet and clear.

Thanks everyone for keeping the post alive............
I have a VX-3 3.5-10X50 that I am in love with. To me the 50mm objective is not bothersome, and the difference between the 50 and the 40's is very apparent to my eyes when I quickly bring up a scope.

I have a VX-R and a VX-2 in 3-9X40 that I really like... but when I bring up any of my Leupold 50mm objective scopes my eyes much prefer the site picture that I get. To me it seems quicker for my eyes to adjust to, and has become my preference. Find someone who has a 40mm and a 50mm on guns and bring them up and have a look. Maybe one of your local gun stores that has many used rifles with scopes will have one of each and you can get an actual side by side comparison.
Maybe your eyes are like mine and will prefer the 50.

As an aside... My guns all have medium Leupold rings that wear 50mm objectives.
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
For the best all around option in my opinion nothing beats the (VX-3) 3.5x10x40.

2.5x8x36 is a close second.

I'm with KC on this one.
I would probably roll with a 2.5-8 for the OP application.

But that's just me.

I would not shun the 1.75-6 if I found a good deal on one.

Burt2506
I like the extra x's when shooting at dots at a distance.

Bears, even at 400 yards, are not a small target. 6x is plenty for my tired eyes on bigger game.

I'd go 6x36 or42 if the 3.5-10x40 didn't get first dibs. 42mm is the biggest objective I like.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I've also heard that claim that the 2.5-8 is Leupold's brightest scope.

I would question whoever said that. I've got two of them and don't particularly care for them because I find them pretty poor in low light. If anything I find them to be about the least bright of the V/variX-3/III line. I would go with the 3.5-10x40, it's a better all around scope. If you wanted to get fancy I'm sure the 2-12 VX-6 is real nice too.

The OP didn't say what kind of rifle, just .358 Norma mag. The 2.5-8 is also pretty short, it's tough to mount on a lot of long actions without extended bases which I don't like.
I hunt in woods, swamps and wouldn't consider anything w/o variable artificial illumination. Unless you're hunting in low light something variable x 36mm or x 42mm would seem ideal choice.
Crow-

It is a Custom Mauser. The action and barrel are of a magnum configuration. It would carry a large scope but that's not necessarily what I want.

[Linked Image]

I like my VX 3 4.5-14 x 40mm
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
Crow-

It is a Custom Mauser. The action and barrel are of a magnum configuration. It would carry a large scope but that's not necessarily what I want.

Take a set of calipers and measure from the front of the front ring to the rear of the rear ring to find out how much mounting space you have. The Leupold 2-12 VX6 has a max ring spacing of 5.6", the 3.5-10x40 has 5.8", and the 2.5-8x36 has 5.1". I can't say without measuring it, but I'm betting the 2.5-8 wouldn't fit with your ring/base combo. The 3.5-10 fits on just about everything. A 2-12 VX6 would require changing to 30mm rings but I'd bet it would fit fine. There's nothing wrong with the VX2 3-9x40 either.
For the use you describe with that rifle another vote for the 3.5-10x40 or a 3-9x40. I think they'll both work without dogleg rings. As far as keeping with the lines of the rifle like you want to do and also fitting your existing mounts a 6x36 FFII might be worth considering. A lot of people here say it works fine close and far. YMMV.
© 24hourcampfire