Home
Had a mysterious dream last night that Ingwe was taking a "sporterized" Swedish Mauser to the Campfire Hog Hunt. There's nothing wrong with the 6.5x55, of course, but this rifle looked like it had been customized with a hacksaw and a dull rasp. But at least it wasn't a .270....

I was considering going on the hog hunt this year, but then got an invitation to tour Hodgdon's facilities (well, they bribed me with shooting some pheasants too). So what are people planning to bring?

I won't be attending the hog hunt, but did the rifle in your dream look like anything like this? This is the Swede I was telling you about that I picked up at Capital Sports that looks like the stock work was done with a hatchet grin:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's very similar!

But Ingwe's hog rifle didn't have a scope.
I believe the scope is off getting a leopard-print dip...
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

I didn't think that was possible till he showed me the bayonet he had treated.
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

I didn't think that was possible till he showed me the bayonet he had treated.

He showed you his bayonet? Oh, the possibilities...
Man. I hope it was a bayonet....
John,

That dream you had was a horrible nightmare!

Because Ingwe is making two stops by plane to get there, he did not want to take a gun.

So he is going to use my Ruger #1 7x57 loaded with 175 grain Nosler Partions.

I'll use two other #1's, a 45-70 and a 38-55.

We'll do the hog hunt again next year, same time(first week of March), so hope you can make it then.

Steve
Hog shoot, not hunt.....
Originally Posted by JGray
I won't be attending the hog hunt, but did the rifle in your dream look like anything like this? This is the Swede I was telling you about that I picked up at Capital Sports that looks like the stock work was done with a hatchet grin:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dats my dream rifle for shure!

The scope is just gravy �. grin
Tom,

Good to hear you were rescued by Steve, and will be shooting a classic 7x57!

My dream actually kept me up part of the night, so tonight I will rest much easier.
Good to know! grin
Well, you know the saying, "Friends don't let friends...."

Dunno if you've met Steve before, but he's a good guy--as if you couldn't guess already.
I will shoot-not hunt- a pig for you! grin
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So what are people planning to bring?

It's my fond hope that I'll have this one ready to go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this one may tag along, just for grins:

[Linked Image]

FC
If I was gonna take my own, Id have to shoot the pig in the face with either a .223AI or a .22-250

Speaking of which John, we should put together another African hunt and just shoot the smaller stuff, say up to hartebeest, with centerfire .22s..

a "stunt Safari" if you will�. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Is that scope a Leupold Alaskan?
I'm surprised Mule Deer isn't recommending a 9.3x92 chambered rifle. idahoguy101
FC,

I could include the already sighted-in 4x Leupold with the Sukalle rifle, and you probably WOULD be good to go! You could just send it back to me afterward, or something could be worked out....
A "stunt" safari would be quite possible, especially on a meat-shooting deal.

In 2007 part of the month I spent in RSA on a meat hunt involved one of the PH's .22-250's, an old Sako on its 4th barrel that he'd used for many years. (At the time he figured he'd taken around 12,000 springbok with it.) One of my hunting partners and I used it one day to not only take springbok out to 500 yards, but my partner killed a medium-sized kudu bull as it was running angling away. Not a long shot, but still impressive, since he got the heart.
idahoguy101,

Actually, if I could have attended, I'd probably have brought my 9.3x74R double rifle!
FC,

I could include the already sighted-in 4x Leupold with the Sukalle rifle, and you probably WOULD be good to go! You could just send it back to me afterward, or something could be worked out....

Now that you mention it, that makes a good bit o' sense.

I've PM'd you with a proposal.

Thanks,

FC
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Hog shoot, not hunt.....

Shooting is optional.... You going to stop in to shoot the bull?

I don't know what I'll bring. I'll bring something even if I don't shoot.
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Is that scope a Leupold Alaskan?

I don't believe so - I think it's an old K4 with post and wire reticle. LGS had a couple of these for +/- $40 so grabbed 'em both and have been sitting on 'em for a while. Same LGS had the Swede priced at $270 which didn't interest me, but when they marked it down to $220, I decided to play. The rifle looks much worse in person - the bolt notch and forend tip really do look like they were done with a hatchet. It was so ugly, I couln't "not" buy it and I've been having a blast fiddling with it grin It seems to want to shoot, even with a cracked tang and the forend making hard contact on one side. 100 yards with Hdy 140's - 140 SST's shoot about the same and Lapua 155 Mega's shoot better (1/2-3/4 MOA). Not bad for a 115 year old rifle - it's a Waffenfabrik Oberndorf 1899 manufacture.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
So what are people planning to bring?

It's my fond hope that I'll have this one ready to go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
FC

That one looks familiar - wasn't that just in the classifieds? I think JB had it listed - oh, wait a minute...grin
A "stunt" safari would be quite possible, especially on a meat-shooting deal.

In 2007 part of the month I spent in RSA on a meat hunt involved one of the PH's .22-250's, an old Sako on its 4th barrel that he'd used for many years. (At the time he figured he'd taken around 12,000 springbok with it.) One of my hunting partners and I used it one day to not only take springbok out to 500 yards, but my partner killed a medium-sized kudu bull as it was running angling away. Not a long shot, but still impressive, since he got the heart.

I think we need to discuss this further, over some Blanton's, or the like�.. whistle
I may bring my 270. lol

Gunner
Some of the pigs actually do run like hell when they see you. Not many of them, but some of them do...

Last year I took my big sow with an original high wall in .45-90, and it was not eager to let me get closer than 80 yards or so.

There is a rather eclectic collection of weapons that make the trip. An original Sharps killed a big sow two years ago. Last year the successful weapons ranged from a 9mm pistol to a .500 Nitro Express. We won't talk about the spear, however. smirk

I'm tentatively planning to take the following:

[Linked Image]

L to R - 150gr Sierra for a 1920 Savage, .351 Winchester, 220gr segmented jacket for subsonic .300 Blackout, and a ball for a replica Colt Walker.

Ingwe could have borrowed this .30-40, if he'd wanted...

[Linked Image]

but had to go with a wimpy ol' 7x57 smirk grin

Mule Deer, you really should try to make it smile
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Ingwe could have borrowed this .30-40, if he'd wanted...

[Linked Image]

but had to go with a wimpy ol' 7x57 smirk grin

Mule Deer, you really should try to make it smile

Hey Ingwe: that'd be a great rifle rebarreled in 7x57, don't you think?

Mike
Tom,

Blanton's sounds good. Maybe you should come over and try some of the sausage from the book. (I think we have some left....)
At what range will you be shooting pigs at? And how big are these pigs?
Tom,

Blanton's sounds good. Maybe you should come over and try some of the sausage from the book. (I think we have some left....)

I will call you, and we will organize that�.
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
At what range will you be shooting pigs at? And how big are these pigs?

~10 to ~100 yards
~75 lbs to ~400 lbs

Haven't decided what to bring this year, but for teh 2012 boar hunt, I used a Sako .308 with 4x Leupold, 165 grain Sierra BTSP. Way overpenetrated.

[Linked Image]

For the 2013 boar hunt, I used a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 with a 2.5x Leupold, 175 grain Hornady RN. Overpenetrated again.

[Linked Image]

Actually, if I could have attended, I'd probably have brought my 9.3x74R double rifle!

I hope somebody can post a photo of Gunner's fine, fine English double rifle in .303 Brit. Couple of pigs at least have been slain with that beauty.
Yeah, Gunner has a gorgeous Rodda .303 double. But I unfortunately don't have a pic of it blush Have to fix that if he brings it again. Gunner's .500 Merkel was used on a pig...and it was pretty much instant lights out for the pig. Amazingly the bullet penetrated the animal and five feet of dirt, but the team recovered the bullet. Except for the rifling marks it looked new.

I used the .54 Hawken shown last year, to shoot a youngin':

[Linked Image]

this old custom High Wall .45-90 dropped a good sow:

[Linked Image]

I now have a holster for my Walker replica, so it should be interesting to take.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by tjm10025
I hope somebody can post a photo of Gunner's fine, fine English double rifle in .303 Brit. Couple of pigs at least have been slain with that beauty.

Here ya go:
[Linked Image]

Closer:
[Linked Image]
--Bob
edited to add photos

Description: 2013 pigshoot - Rodda
Attached picture rodda-s.jpg

Description: 2013 pighunt - Rodda
Attached picture roddaC.jpg
Marlin 1893 38/55 with 265gr cast bullets or my 16/16-8X57JR. Or, maybe both!

They both need to get out of the house and socialize a bit (as does their owner) and this should be a perfect opportunity!

Slainte'
MD-

I plan on bringing a couple of rifles to use, and some others for show and tell.

Here's Shooter #1:
[Linked Image]
(Yeah, three shots at 100 yards with Hornady factory ammo. I'm either good or lucky.)
[Linked Image]

It's a 1903 Springfield, chambered in 450 Bushmaster. It was the first bolt rifle chambered for that cartridge as far as I know. I brought it to the 2010 hunt in TX with Hornady factory 250-grain FTX ammo. The pigs wouldn't cooperate so it didn't get shot.

It was with me in TN last year, with Remington's 460-grain Accutip load. As events happened I did my grocery shopping with a .50 percussion longrifle instead.

This year I hope finally to get to shoot a pig with it. Ammo will be a Barnes .451 200-grain pointed XPB at a MV of about 2750 fps.

--Bob
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Hog shoot, not hunt.....

Shooting is optional.... You going to stop in to shoot the bull?

I don't know what I'll bring. I'll bring something even if I don't shoot.

You should bring a 41 mag. Works like a charm shocked
[Linked Image]

Nothing fancy, (as if I brought something fancy last year)the rifle on top is a Winchester 94, made in 1943 or 1944.

It has seen plenty of use, but the bore is good and I expect to get several more years out of it. I picked it up off gunbroker a few months back. I've always been a sucker for the rifles marked 30 WCF, seems cooler to me than 30-30. I also like the long forearm wood and happened onto this one with a tang stamp at a price I couldn't look away from.

More than likely, I'll be shooting handloads with 170 grain Hornady SP's.

The bottom rifle is one I just lucked up on last week. It is a Trapper model of the 94 Winchester, (obviously) and chambered in 30 WCF as well, unfortunately, they marked the barrel 30-30. smile

Those sling swivel attachments were already on board when I got it, so I left them. It may get stoked with the 170 grain Hornady SP's as well. I've also got some of the 160 grain Hornady Flex tips loaded, and several different boxes of factory in case it prefers 150 grainers.

Won't be going to the Campfire or any other hog hunt any time soon, but if I was the Marlin .375 Winchester would be a likely candidate. Probably the .30-30 as well. Second and third from top respectively. (Th others are .45-70 on top and a Browning B92 .44 MAg on bottom.)

[Linked Image]
Bob, that 450 Bushmaster is cooler than the other side of the pillow. You need to get that thing bloodied.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Bob, that 450 Bushmaster is cooler than the other side of the pillow. You need to get that thing bloodied.
CT-
Thank you for noticing. I'll work hard at anointing the rifle with hog blood come March.

I think your 30WCF goes beyond cool; it has admirable panache. Seventy-year-old 94s are no longer ordinary rifles.
--Bob
I'll be carrying a LH 375 Ruger and likely a H&R 3 1/2 inch 20 gauge USH .
Both are more than needed but fun to make go Boom!
That 45 bushmaster looks like an awesome round. Our screwy primitive weapon is going to eventually go the way of the dodo or I would be looking for parts.
Tanglewood, either one of those will definitely let the air out of them.
I'll be bringing my Freedom arms 454 Casull and Winchester 94,30-30 made in 1960.

[Linked Image]

Never seen one of these. What a goofy looking bolt shroud.
[Linked Image]
I'd really like to see you smack a hog with that 351. Those old rifles are numba one cool.
Thanks, it will be interesting. I have all the components & dies, need to start load development on it.

The crossdraw holster for the Walker seems to work fairly well, so I am curious what I can do with the replica horse pistol. Might need a large knife to back it up, though. smile

The AR in .300 Blackout was very popular at Quemado; I have some new Outlaw State 220gr bullets which are guaranteed to expand at subsonic speeds, so I am real curious about them.

And that .300 Savage M1920 carries like a feather, and has decent power. Kaywoodie made a new front sight blade for it, to go with the bolt peep sight, so I plan to take it as well. If I get a shot at a really big boar that's probably the best choice of all.

And folks are welcome to borrow them, too. smile
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Here ya go:
[Linked Image]

Closer:
[Linked Image]
--Bob
edited to add photos

I can bring the little lady if somebody wants to hunt her.
The Savage 99F in .300 Savage I bought from Gunner last year. This will be the final game prep before it goes to NewFoundland for Moose in Sept.

[Linked Image]
I'm envious, Pugs. The Newfoundland trip is one that I really look forward to taking.

Really nice 99 you have there. What kind of bullet will you fling at Moose from that case?
THIS

[Linked Image]

this

[Linked Image]

this

[Linked Image]
Your Baer has some of the best looking grips I've ever seen on one. Mine came with very plain ones.

You planning to put a bayonet on the M1?
if I find one
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Really nice 99 you have there. What kind of bullet will you fling at Moose from that case?

Picked up a box of TTSX 140 grains so I'll have to get a load together on that. If I run out of time VAnimrod sold me 8 boxes of various factory loads at a steal and it shoots the Federal 150 gr really well. Won't hold a 180 in a barrel so a little concerned that the TTSX being long for weight might be an issue. We'll see.

Wife and I were in Key West the last four days for a quick vacation where it was almost 70 and are home now with 3-6"of snow tomorrow and temps in the teens so going to the range just doesn't seem that high on the list of things to do.
That is kind of a shocker to the system, ain't it?
458 Lott mod 70 crf in a red pad mcwoody and ptg bottom metal, if I can stand to shoot it. Been using a lack of dies as an excuse not to shoot it. I now have dies so no more excuses.
Prayers sent, Eddy. You should be able to take that boomer and bust some of the rocks on that hill.
If i were going this!
My new 460 Bee in a Classicmark grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Probably bring that reworked 7Mag I bought due that echols thread my red and black 338-06 and a new AR10 I picked up. Isn't there a rule you have to hunt with a different rifle every time you go out?
Originally Posted by EddyBo
...Isn't there a rule you have to hunt with a different rifle every time you go out?...

Not exactly, you can substitute knives, bows, and spears, too smirk
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
... You planning to put a bayonet on the M1?
Originally Posted by rockchucker
if I find one

I found mine. If you can't find yours, I'll throw it in the vehicle for the trip south.
--Bob

Attached picture m1-bay.jpg
that is too cool.
Hey Mule Deer. Can Ingwe use my blowgun at this year's pig hunt? That's at least as effective as the .270 you dreamed about.
© 24hourcampfire