Home
What was your first centerfire hunting rifle? maybe not the first one you owned, but the first one you hunted with? I started out with an 8x57 Mauser sporter...my dad has always been a firm believer in bringing enough gun(my younger brother started with a .303 British)...I guess it rubbed off, when we bought our own rifles we both bought 30-06's(although since then I've switched to a .270 for the most part and he traded his '06 for a .308). What was your first and how has it affected your choices in rifles since then?
243. still have one. anytime i try to get away from it, i miss it and buy another one.
Rem. 760 in .30-06
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
What was your first centerfire hunting rifle? maybe not the first one you owned, but the first one you hunted with? I started out with an 8x57 Mauser sporter...my dad has always been a firm believer in bringing enough gun(my younger brother started with a .303 British)...I guess it rubbed off, when we bought our own rifles we both bought 30-06's(although since then I've switched to a .270 for the most part and he traded his '06 for a .308). What was your first and how has it affected your choices in rifles since then?

First was a heavy azz sporterized m1917 in good ol 30-06. I still have a couple 30-06 rifles in the stable, but none are as heavy or as accurate as my first one. I was 12 when I started out with the 30-06 and it's been my favorite since. I damn sure won't forsake it for a 308 win, no matter how damn good people think the short .308 is.
My first season I used my Great Uncle's Rem 788 in 6mm remington. Before the next season I had bought (my dad did the paperwork, I stopped by every time I had money and paid on it) a used Browning BLR81 in 243Win. Killed my first 5 deer with it before moving on to other rifles to hunt with. Still have it though.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

First was a heavy azz sporterized m1917 in good ol 30-06. I still have a couple 30-06 rifles in the stable, but none are as heavy or as accurate as my first one. I was 12 when I started out with the 30-06 and it's been my favorite since. I damn sure won't forsake it for a 308 win, no matter how damn good people think the short .308 is.

I still have MY 30-06(or rather a good friend of mine has it until he can swing a new rifle) and I always will(unless it ever gets down to that one or my .270...)
The first was a nifty 250 Savage 99 for hunting whitetails, but the first year I went west to hunt elk and mule deer, I sold it and bought a Win. M70 .270. Didn't need two guns.
Savage 99 in 250-3000. Never shot a deer with it. Next was a M94 30-30. That brought home lots of meat. Still have it. My philosophy ever since has been that a large bullet at moderate velocity is better than a small bullet at high velocity. You can eat right up to the hole.
First rifle I hunted with was my Dad's old Win. 94 in .32 special.
First rifle I bought was a Rem. M700 Varmint Special in .243, bedded and trigger worked by previous owner. Capable of making tight little cloverleafs at 100 yds. and beyond, but way too heavy for lugging up the hills of Pennsylvania. Nevertheless, I wish I still owned it. Went from that to a Ruger tang-safety M77 in .270 - much better suited for hunting whitetails. M77 "tangers" remain my favorite rifles.
.257 Roberts. Spike and a doe first day, one stand.
First one I hunted with was my great uncle's Winchester 94 rifle, hooked buttplate and long (24" or 26") octagon barrel, 32 Special. First rifle I ever reloaded for. Never got a deer with it but a few rabbits and coyotes.

First one I ever bought was a 788 in 6mm. Regret selling that one.

Mart
First rifle was a 7 x 57 about 30 years ago. My latest rifle is a tikka t3 in 270 and I'm thinking of just staying right here for the next 30 years.

Shod
A 98 09 Argie in 7.65 that I picked from a barrel full down at the local hardware store.
I mowed a bunch of yards for the $35 to buy that rifle.
Remington 700 .30-06. I lusted after a 700 in 7mm STW during my youth and looked for one a couple years ago,not finding one in my price range I got impatient and went with a 7mm Rem Mag with the intention of punching it out eventually. It shoots really well as is so that hasn't happened.

That .30-06 is still my favorite rifle, and rifle cartridge.
First one: 1967, 7x57 M1916 Spanish Mauser. Cost all of $15, and sporterized in the basement.

Second one, a year later: .30/40 Krag, simple cut-down sporterized rifle.

As I was off and running headlong into rifle looney-ship, I had to have a new 700 BDL .243, which pretty quickly convinced me I was better off with the Krag.

Ahh, the hubris of youth...
My first one was built on a Husqvarna 8000 action that Hart Barrels installed a 24" #4 on in 30/06. Had the barreled action sent to McMillan for a Remington Mountain Rifle stock install. All metal was finished in Black-T by Birdsong.
Winchester 94 in 307
Winchester 94 AE Trapper in .30-30. Still have it. I have more accurate and more expensive rifles, but I still love carrying this little carbine in the bigwoods.
Remington Model 760 in .300 Savage...
Mossberg 800A .308
First one I hunted with was my uncles savage 99 he bought when he was a young man in the late 30s. My first center fire I bought is a sako finnbear l61r in 30-06. Still have them both.
First one I hunted with was my Uncle's Sportized A3-03 in 30.06. I was 9 and it kicked the crap out of me. Got my first scar from the scope kissing my eye brow when I was 9. Bled like crazy, but I never felt it. Probably would be considered child abuse, nowadays. cool
1952 Model 70 FWT in .308. Dad bought it from a friend of his dads for $200 in 1983 for me to hunt with. Great gun, still have it.
Redhead
I had an 1892 .32-20 but I was a little young to hunt deer. I first hunted deer with a borrowed .25-35.

When I was 12 dad bought me my fist "big gun" a .300 Savage. I killed my first deer, a nice buck and a bonus doe with it that fall.

I learned to handload for that rifle so I could shoot it as much as I wanted. A lot of Speer half jackets ahead of Ball C-2 as I recall.
Win 351 WSL.
A post 64 Winchester model 94 in 30-30. A jamming piece of junk that I peddled to a guy that just HAD to have it, even after I told him about its "issues."

After that was a BAR in 7Rem Mag. Since then I've had a "few more." wink
Marlin 30-30 that my dad bought new for me when I was 13 I believe. Still have never taken a deer with it...

My first real deer rifle in my mind though is a Winchester 670 .243 that I bought from my step-dad for 125.00 bucks. Took my first buck with it and many other deer.
What was your first centerfire hunting rifle? maybe not the first one you owned, but the first one you hunted with?

This subject comes up periodically, and I'm sure I've posted this story before, but once more won't hurt... (Altho' it might near brings tears to my eyes to relate it...)

Back in '68, my Dad promised to take me deer hunting. When we were set to leave, he took his .30-30 Win (Pre '64 M-94 Std carbine) out of the gun cabinet and presented it to me with the words: "Here, this is yours to use for as long as you want, and when I'm gone, it's yours."

I used that rifle for the next 3-4 years, then acquired a nicely sporterized 8mm Mauser.

In the Spring of '73, my Dad came up to my house and said he needed the .30-30. I thought perhaps he had a varmint or something he wanted to shoot. I didn't think anything of it. That fall when I went out to sight in the rifles for deer season, I looked in his cabinet, and couldn't see the .30-30. So I asked where it was. He replied: "Oh! I traded it for a CB radio..."

I was devastated! Even tho' I didn't use it that much anymore, I still liked it, and used it every year. He passed away about 20 yrs ago, and I never told him how much that gun meant to me. About 4-5 yrs after that incident, I asked him who he traded it too, and he didn't even know. frown I was going to buy it back at any price.

Today, I have one much like it; a Pre-War in .30 WCF. and in nicer shape. But it's just not the same... And I've never hunted with a .30-30 since. Or any lever gun, for that matter...

The 'ol man had maybe 6-8 guns when he passed... He didn't leave any of them to me... frown I don't miss him at all...

GH
Remington 760 Carbine 308.

This one belonged to my grandfather. He used it for moose hunting later in life after he switched from a 99. Upon his death, my grandmother sold off all his guns to folk outside the family as she hated guns and didn't want the kids to get them. I was the only grandchild that hunted in the family so getting it back was important. I tracked down the fellow and offered to buy it. He was kind enough to sell it for what he paid, $325 with 3x Weaver. Still own it. Might give it to a brother who has two boys, depending on how the boys grow up.

[Linked Image]

Remington 742 Carbine 30-06
788 in 6mm. Still one of my more accurate rifles, despite the nasty trigger.
The first one I hunted with was a Remington 700 in 6mm, although the first deer I ever shot was with Dads 6mm Varmint Special. That was my only CF for 12 years, I sold it back to Dad and bought a 700 RS in 270, that was my only CF for 11 years.

Sold that one in 99,caught the fever and can't say how many since then. I know I have more than a dozen "deer" rifles today, including the 6mm I got back when Dad died. I have Grandpas "big rifle" too, a 243 model 742.
M700 ADL 30-06,I have been deer hunting with it since I got it when I was 14.
[Linked Image]
Deer taken with my T/C Hawkens 50 cal. Remember it like it was yesterday. Purchased new in 1986 and have shot 18+ deer since then. Still have it today. My buddies hate it !

[Linked Image]

Ken
First hunted with was my Dad's sporterized 03A3 Springfield at age 13.
Savage 110 in 30.06 !!!!!! god that thing kicked like a mule.
A model 94 Winchester 30/30. Like an idiot, I traded it for a shotgun. To make up for it I've acquired about a half dozen over the years.
A Winchester model 94 in 32 special, back in the early 60's.
After lusting the magazine glossies for 20 years or so, I bought a LH Weatherby Mark V in 270 Wby Mag. My very first center fire! It was a wonderful rifle. Found it in the next town via a print ad in the hometown newspaper. Some guy bought it for a western hunt that never happened ... nice Leupy VXII and 5 boxes of ammo and brass. Took my first 8X whitetail with it in Wake County, NC ...
The first rifle I bought was a 1967 Rem M700 ADL in .270 Win with a B&L 2.5-8 scope.
But I had previously hunted with borrowed open sighted sporterized 30-06, Savage M99 .300 Savage, and model 94 30-30.
Ruger .44 Magnum Deerstalker semiauto carbine. Looked like a 10-22 on steroids. Another rifle I wished I kept.
My first was a '55 Winchester M70 Super Grade in 30-06. I wasn't fond of the steel butt plate but it was a super reliable rifle that loved 180 grain rounds, and had great wood. I should have kept it.

Eric
Rem 700 BDL 338 WM

Peep sight

Snake
First rifle I hunted with, at 14 some 46 years ago, was this Lee Enfield .303, which still hangs out in my gun safe.

Shown it here before, but briefly: Dad bought it from Eatons dept. store for $10. Carved excess metal away, chopped barrel to 19", turfed a lot of forearm wood and carved down the rest, and hand carved the mahogany stock. Installed Williams peep and a Sourdough front sight. Barely weighs 6 lbs.

Got a decent 4x4 muley that year with it, and another one the next year before he bought me my own BSA Enfield 1917 in 30.06.

[Linked Image][/URL]

My family had two rifles, both military surplus. A .303 and a 30-06 with no sporterization, full wood. This was in the 60's. Don't know how it affected future purchases. Mine was a .270 ADL.
my uncles Rem. 760 carbine 3006 with a 2.5 Weaver post/crosshair
Mine was a 270 Win in Savage 110. That led me to a Remmy 700 30-06 my girlfriend bought me when i was 16. Still have it (22 yrs), traded her off(after 11yrs). To this day ive shot my 2 smallest groups ever with it. Its F-class accurate.
Mine was a Winchester Model 70 lightweight in 270 Win. Factory Bell and Carlson stock. Won it at a turkey shoot when I was little and started hunting with it around the age of 12 or so. Still have it. Don't plan on ever getting rid of her either.
Mine was a sporterized '03-A3 Springfield, with a Lyman peep sight.
Altho I don't hunt with it anymore, I still have that old rifle, given to me by my parents for my 14th Christmas.
303 British. Mom sent for It from Alden`s catalog back In the late 50`s. Cost was $12.95 and It came coated In Cosmoline and wrapped In wax paper. My Uncle chopped the barrel off and Dad kinda sporterized It.Never got a Deer with It and Yes, sold It. Sure wish I had It back....
Customized Jap Arisaka in .300 Savage. Sold it a few years ago for $450. Had the full mum.

Pre 64 model 70 .243
Deer rifle? Borrowed Hawken muzzleloader
The first rifle I hunted big game with was a Remington Model 81 in .32 Rem. I wish I had it. The first centerfire I owned was a 1917 in .30-06 that my Dad and I "sporterized." I still have it but haven't shot it in years.
Two different things. My first CF was a customized Jap 6.5 chambered ti ..257. The less than scrupulous seller told me it was a .25 Jap re chambered. I was about fourteen (1951)and not knowledgeable about such things. I shot factory ..257 Roberts in it. Funny thing was, it was pretty accurate. The flight of the bullet made a weird sound as it wobbled to the target. All I ever killed with it was jack rabbits, pests, and varmints. I later found out better and traded it for a nice .38/44 Outdoorsman.

First deer was with a borrowed pre '64 Model 94 .30-30. I have had dozens since then, little to medium bore magnums. Over sixty years later, there are still four .30-30s in my stable. My last deer may drop to one of them.

Jack

Winchester 94 in 307. My dad's first deer rifle also. Killed my first 6 deer with it.
First one I used, a remington 700 BDL .257 Roberts Lew Horton Special Edition. First one I owned, a remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06 carbine.
Carried my uncle pre 64 model 94 30-30 my first year. Another uncle offered me his model 88 in .308. I weighed about 120 lbs and it beat me to death. My first rifle is a lh model 700 Remington in .270. Still have it. Have the 94 to, my youngest wont let me near it.
Remington 700 BDL SS 7mm-08
[Linked Image]

Tanner
My 'first' was a loaned sporterized krag, owned by Paul Muelbauer(sp?) He is the guy that killed the biggest mule deer in Colo. until the Burris buck. He took me and my brother to hunt the exact same place he took that monster......
Good ol 94 30 30
Cool pic, Tan her.

First center fire ever shot....Gramp's 1873
First deer season .....Dad's 30-30.
First shotgun kill......J.C. Higgins

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
What was your first centerfire hunting rifle? maybe not the first one you owned, but the first one you hunted with?

This subject comes up periodically, and I'm sure I've posted this story before, but once more won't hurt... (Altho' it might near brings tears to my eyes to relate it...)

Back in '68, my Dad promised to take me deer hunting. When we were set to leave, he took his .30-30 Win (Pre '64 M-94 Std carbine) out of the gun cabinet and presented it to me with the words: "Here, this is yours to use for as long as you want, and when I'm gone, it's yours."

I used that rifle for the next 3-4 years, then acquired a nicely sporterized 8mm Mauser.

In the Spring of '73, my Dad came up to my house and said he needed the .30-30. I thought perhaps he had a varmint or something he wanted to shoot. I didn't think anything of it. That fall when I went out to sight in the rifles for deer season, I looked in his cabinet, and couldn't see the .30-30. So I asked where it was. He replied: "Oh! I traded it for a CB radio..."

I was devastated! Even tho' I didn't use it that much anymore, I still liked it, and used it every year. He passed away about 20 yrs ago, and I never told him how much that gun meant to me. About 4-5 yrs after that incident, I asked him who he traded it too, and he didn't even know. frown I was going to buy it back at any price.

Today, I have one much like it; a Pre-War in .30 WCF. and in nicer shape. But it's just not the same... And I've never hunted with a .30-30 since. Or any lever gun, for that matter...

The 'ol man had maybe 6-8 guns when he passed... He didn't leave any of them to me... frown I don't miss him at all...

GH

Mine was a WW II surplus M1 .30 cal carbine. I'm glad I never shot at a deer with it.

Grasshopper, not to twist the knife, but last November my dad gave me his Winchester .30 WCF that belonged to his dad, DOM 1912. My grandpa got it on his 12th birthday in 1912. My brother got the Weatherby .300 Wby Mag Deluxe made by JP Sauer & Sohn, DOM 1962, purchased by my dad in West Germany.

I am secure in the knowledge that I got the better deal.

P
Midland Arms aka Parke Hale .243 Winchester with a Jana 4X scope mounted on. It, bought it right after my 18th birthday. I needed a rifle to hunt my first deer, and I paid $175 for it at an estate auction with four boxes of Federal 105 grin Speer ammunition. Shot this deer second day of the season with it.

[Linked Image]
First was a Rem 710 in 30-06. Killed my first several deer with it and, yes, it is now long gone. Don't think I'll ever regret letting it go. I doubt that model will ever be considered a "classic"!
Model 93, in 30/30... bought new in 1966 at the Alconbury Rod and Gun Club, before we came back stateside.. still have it...
Marlin 336 .35 Remington
Originally Posted by pacecars
Marlin 336 .35 Remington

Same here. The Marlin 336 in 35 Rem was the first I hunted with. It was one of two rifles my dad owned at the time. When my brother was old enough he got the Marlin and I used one of my grandfathers 30-06s. It was some sort of Mauser that had PO Ackley on the barrel. He traded it for an 1100. Wish I had that one still but it's been twenty years ago.
First centerfire was a Winchester 670 in 243. Killed lots of woodchucks with that gun. It taught me to love rifles but hate certain blueprints.
Model 1893 Spanish Mauser in 7x57 ,I was 14 and mowed a lot of lawns to get it and finance the sporterizing of it.I was 17 before I drew my first deer tag and used it to kill a 3x3 buck with 140 gr NPT's loaded by myself. I had by then a M700 7mm Rem Mag in an ADL but I wanted to use the Mauser on the first one. Still have them both. Magnum Man
In 1975 I bought a left handed, Remington 788 chambered in 308.

I still have it.
Killed my first deer with a 700 classic in 257 Roberts. We found two of them in .250 and .257 in a LGS . I believe the .250 was issued one year and the 257 the next. Anyway my buddy took the 250 and I bought the 257 in a package deal. Took mine out and shot a deer about 30 min after sunrise about a month later on opening day. I have always sort of thought of the 257 as a lucky round for me.
Interesting side note...there was a VERY nice whitetail buck around here last fall. There were a number of guys(myself included) trying to figure out how to put some lead into him. Far as I know the only one that even saw him(during season) was the 14 year old girl that shot him with a borrowed M1 Garrand...ran into her grandfather at the local store day after she got it(her first deer too)...That rifle probably weighed more than she did...
My first centerfire rifle was a Ruger M77 MKII Standard .30-06 that I bought when I was 16.

Before that, it was a single-shot 20 gauge w/slugs my first year, then my vintage Remington 870 2 3/4" w/ a slug barrel until I got the Ruger.

I shot my first buck (which was also my first mule deer) with that Ruger, it was also the first time I reloaded ammo for myself.

The first load I made for that rifle was using Winchester brass, 56 gr of IMR-4350, Winchester LR primers, and some old 180 gr Hornady Spire Points that were sitting around my dads's reloading bench.

They were leftovers from when he briefly owned a Browning A-Bolt Medallion .30-06 w/ the B.O.S.S. system on it, he also sold that rifle because of the B.O.S.S. system on it, but that's a whole other story. grin laugh

I didn't necessarily love the recoil of that load at age 16, even though I was (a hulking 5' 7" and 150 lbs soakin' wet), but it killed deer well, so I used them until I shot all those up.

Then, I switched to Hornady 165 BTSP and worked up to 58.5 gr of IMR-4350, that's still my standard .30-06 load for deer to this day.

When I bought that rifle, all I knew was that I wanted a .30-06. laugh

Nowadays I check and see how a rifle feels when I shoulder it, how the controls work, and how it balances, I tend to gravitate towards short-action rifles with 22" or shorter barrels on them and prefer cheekpieces on my stocks.

I hate the stock and trigger on that rifle, and sold it to my brother years ago, but I recently got it back, I will be putting a McMillan and a Timney on it one of these days.
Winchester 94 and Marlin 336, both in .30-30.

Hasn't impacted my choice in rifles one bit.
Mine was an old British 303 that had been sporterized. Shot 3 foot higher w/factory ammo than it did w/military ammo. powdr
Remington mod. 700 ADL in .243. Got it with money I saved working at a local sawmill during the summer. Put a Weaver V7 2.5-7 on it, had the local gunsmith replace the plastic buttplate with a thin Pachmayar white line pad and never changed anything else on it. That was in 1974 and many rifles later, I've yet to own one with the out of the box accuracy that gun had. Pretty too, that was when the 700's had the HIGH luster blue and the gloss finish on the wood.
Posted before but Dad had a Remington 788 .243 waiting under the the Christmas tree for me in 1973. It wore nothing but irons until I bought a Leupold 4x for it in Sacramento while in the AF.

We didn't even have deer near us when I got the rifle, but it scragged many a crow, groundhog and feral dogs before I finally used it to take a whitetail in the early '90s. It was a truck gun because it was my only CF rifle for a long time and got really battered.

In honor of its approaching 40th birthday I stripped and refinished it with Tru-Oil last summer and it looks better than it did when received. The Micro T1 has since been replaced by a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC and is ready to start its second 40 years in our family permanently zeroed for Fed Premium 85-gr. BTHP.
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elrata/media/788PhoenixProject_zpsc519fcfa.jpg.html]Chrismuss Gif 1973![/url]
Saddle ring M94 30 WCF.
© 24hourcampfire