Home
What should I expect to invest in a 700 for a donor action to build a custom on. I'm eyeballing a BDL 270, with a rusted barrel end, but otherwise nice, at $400...which seems a little high....but how much could I recoup from the stock, $100-150? I might get some $ out of the 4.5-15 AETEC, but not much... Or should I look elsewise? Just not seeing any sub $350 beater 700s, or actions around. Might rather have a Mauser style, anyway.
You could probably recoup enough $$ from the stock and scope to make it worth while, you won't be finding many actions much lower than $350.00 these days!
What I was afraid of. Thinking of (possibly), a switch barrel, starting with 30-06 and a 280AI or 7x57...not sure, just thinking on what caliber, and can't decide.
not being able to decide on a chambering is a sign of a couple things.

One either has too many chamberings in the safe already that overlap a great deal, or you've owned enough chamberings to realize that 90% or more of them do the same thing anyway.

The three you mentioned are a good example. Any one of them would do for 95% of North American hunting...and no animal would be able to tell which of the three he were just dispactched with.

..and $400 for an older BDL is about as good a deal as you are going to find for a donor.
grin

Yeah. It's nice to finally be back in the realm of having everything I might 'need', well covered, and mostly playing/debating. I've had regular 280d, but no AIs. I also have no '06 in the retinue right now, either. I put that off for 'later', as an '06 often warps my gun buying thought process: not much 'need' for anything else. I may grab that 700...but I did run across a CZ Mauser action I might acquire for the $150-$200 range....and there's also a short action 700, that could make a nice 358. wink
© 24hourcampfire