Home
Posted By: Pappy348 Ruger Hawkeye Predator .308 - 02/08/14
Picked up my new Ruger Hawkeye Predator on Thursday. Overall, I'm very pleased with the fit and finish. I know some don't like the new matte stainless finish, but I like it very much. To me, it looks a lot like Parkerizing and it's definitely non-glare. The multi-colored plywood stock takes a little getting used to, but the checkering is well done and recessed a bit.
The 2-stage trigger feels like about 2lbs, with just a little overtravel. There is absolutely nothing about adjusting it in the manual, so if I decide to tweak it, I'll have to go to YouTube for instructions.
I've tightened the screws, cleaned the barrel, and mounted an old Leupold 4-12 that worked well on my Longmaster. Next week, it's off to the range.
I'd love to hear about the range report. Keep us posted please sir..
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ruger Hawkeye Predator .308 - 02/08/14
Yep. A pard bought a Predator in .204�had to mess with the free float a bit, but its a real shooter!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep. A pard bought a Predator in .204�had to mess with the free float a bit, but its a real shooter!

A little bit of bedding compound in the recoil lug area goes a long way as well..
Back from the range. Three 3-shot groups with some loads my son out together for a 20" heavy barreled 700 he used to have went .770, .653, and .395. The load was 41.5 gr. RL15 w/CCI BRs in WW brass topped off with 168 gr. Sierras.
Five 150 CT Partition Gold MFs over 43 gr. of H4895 w/F210Ms in WW brass went into 2.24". Gack! Gotta work on that, as I've still got close to 200 of those bullets. I know the bullets can do better, because they shot great in an old J.C Higgins Model 50 '06. I had some 150 Hornady spire points over some Varget that I didn't fire, because they were a little long for the Ruger's chamber. I'll seat them a little deeper for next time. I got 100 cases prepped over the weekend for the next go-round. Too dang cold and windy for this nonsense today.
The 2-stage trigger averages about 2 1/4 pounds.
Sounds like she's capable, just need to tweak. Good deal.
It's a relief to have something show promise from the get-go, especially after all the trouble I had with the Howa I bought a few years ago.
© 24hourcampfire