Home
Posted By: Fotis What power scope for this rifle? - 03/27/14
I have a savage 17 Hornady Hornet that shoots 1/2" or better all day long.

Basically a walking varminter (hence the name I guess) mostly prairie dogs. What power scope would you scope this combo with guys?
A 6x Leupold.
The 4-12X40 AO VX2 isn't terrible heavy or large for the magnification. I use one on a rimfire Anschutz and it doesn't feel bad to me.
6 power? Huh. Never thought of something that low power.
You might give it a thought or three.
Depends on what range you usually shoot them critters at. I always like to see what I'm shooting at. Probably a couple hundred yards? 4-12 sounds good, or a straight 10 power like Hathcock used. wink
Realizing I live in the upper Mid-west and my ranges are a lot different than yours - I'd be looking at something real low here.

There I'd go 6x with a turret or if I felt I must go variable, 2.5-8 from Leupold.
Depends on its intended use.. Small targets at longer range need more power than if shooting bugger targets on the run..
I'd look for something along the lines of...
3-18
6.5-20
5-25

I run 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 on my .204 varmint rifles, but the only walking they see is from the gun case to the shooting bench. As you already know, anything above ~18x is worthless on a sunny day in the prairie dog patch. I enjoy using the higher magnification when punching paper, though.
Use a variable, something that'll crank down to about 4x and go up to at least 12x minimum. My 17AH's both have a 4-16 Weaver and it's not too much for this little cartridge. There's no recoil and you can use all 16x and see every hit.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
As you already know, anything above ~18x is worthless on a sunny day in the prairie dog patch.

I never knew that. So every time out shooting prairie dogs and the scope is on 24 or 32x, it's really not working?
Originally Posted by Fotis

Basically a walking varminter (hence the name I guess) mostly prairie dogs. What power scope would you scope this combo with guys?

Fotis
What are you doing playing with a small bore that uses gramaphone needles?
You probably don't have a pull through that small? LOL
John
The walking varminter needs a Leupold 2.5-8 or Leupold 1.75-6x. I suggest you keep both this .5" shooter and your 32acp, and unload your Finnwolf!

DMc
Originally Posted by Ackman
As you already know, anything above ~18x is worthless on a sunny day in the prairie dog patch.

I never knew that. So every time out shooting prairie dogs and the scope is on 24 or 32x, it's really not working?

Maybe we hunt different types of terrain or conditions, because ever time the sun heats up for me the mirage becomes pretty bad above ~18x. That doesn't cause an issue on close shots, but I've never felt compelled to crank up the juice high enough to count eyelashes and miss all of the aerial acrobatics that follow my shots.

Maybe we hunt different types of terrain or conditions, because ever time the sun heats up for me the mirage becomes pretty bad above ~18x. That doesn't cause an issue on close shots, but I've never felt compelled to crank up the juice high enough to count eyelashes and miss all of the aerial acrobatics that follow my shots.

Ah, that must be it. I shoot pd's mostly in Wyoming and Eastern Utah, many times in over 100* temp. But I've never shot them in Missouri. Main rifles have either 6-24 or 8-32 scopes and much of the time they're on full power. Use a brake and you'll see the whole show.

I've had a 6X on my 270 for years and have done a lot of walking for groundhogs with it. Shots ranged from 10yd or less to about 300 yds. As I age,(I'm 53) I find I could use more top end for shots over 200/225 yds but other than that, it's been a good combo.

Weaver V9 might be just the ticket.

Dale

3-18
Ah, that must be it. I shoot pd's mostly in Wyoming and Eastern Utah, many times in over 100* temp. But I've never shot them in Missouri. Main rifles have either 6-24 or 8-32 scopes and much of the time they're on full power. Use a brake and you'll see the whole show.

I'm glad it works for you. My pd stints in WY, CO, NE and SD have been different and I don't get much use above 18x when conditions heat up. The last couple of years, I haven't gotten much use out of any pd rifle/scope combos. The critters seem to be in short supply and I end up toting a lot of ammo back home, unfortunately.
+1 on the Weaver V9...Great little scope.
I'd use the one that shot the 1/2" all day long!
Use a variable, something that'll crank down to about 4x and go up to at least 12x minimum. My 17AH's both have a 4-16 Weaver and it's not too much for this little cartridge. There's no recoil and you can use all 16x and see every hit.

That would be my call... I have a 4.5 x 14 on a 77/17, and admit that sage rats give me an opportunity to use all of its capabilities....the 17 Hornet would be just more of a good thing....

Addendum....

I have a 6 x 24 Weaver on my Ruger, but have to admit, I down graded because that was TOO Much scope on the 17 HMR.... maybe the Hornet could take advantage of the extra power...

previously I had tried tried a 3 x 9 Weaver and it was just a hair too short on power in my opinion...

You know, there are some who would not consider that to be "low" power. smirk
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Fotis
What are you doing playing with a small bore that uses gramaphone needles?
You probably don't have a pull through that small? LOL
John

Got to give the retinas a break John....now and then. laugh
Originally Posted by DMc
The walking varminter needs a Leupold 2.5-8 or Leupold 1.75-6x. I suggest you keep both this .5" shooter and your 32acp, and unload your Finnwolf!

DMc

Nobody wants that ole finn! grin
© 24hourcampfire