Home
I have looked at CVA, ROSSI, and a couple other brands. The CVA seems to have the tightest action with less side to side wobble. Anybody have an informed decision on which is the best quality brand? Thanks for any info.
What do you consider cheap, and why a single shot?
If you just want a very inexpensive accurate deer rifle, the Savage is where you need be looking. An Axis will do fine though I prefer a used 110. The Ruger American is another option for very inexpensive accurate deer rifles. If it is for a child so you just want a single shot, just go with the Ruger American Compact and load one round.
the "cheap" single shots really can't hold a candle to the "cheap" bolt actions, ruger american for instance. I like the concept of a single shot, but in practice I've been forced to admit that you really can't beat a good bolt gun. not saying that a CVA or a Rossi won't work for you, but for the money spent, I think you're talking in terms of "heavy concessions"

are you trying to buy for a "primitive" season like Louisiana has and MS used to have?
Thanks for the input. If I go with a lie end bolt action, should I hope with savage axis, Ruger American, mossberg, or marlin? Lookin for a no frills 243 to start my daughter deer hunting. I need to chop the stock down, so I am not looking to spend much. What say you?
savage.

stocks are a dime a dozen when you need to "unchop" one.
If you want an affordable single, I would look at NEF.
Buy the savage 11 youth model combo, not the axis.

That's what we did.

We've been very happy & I'm sure you'll have the same happy feelings !!
Definitely go with a bolt gun.

But, if you are totally sold on a single - go NEF/H&R over the others
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Thanks for the input. If I go with a lie end bolt action, should I hope with savage axis, Ruger American, mossberg, or marlin? Lookin for a no frills 243 to start my daughter deer hunting. I need to chop the stock down, so I am not looking to spend much. What say you?

Rossi = junk.

You don't want to start someone on a POS rifle and/or scope. A new shooter's efforts should go toward mastering fundamentals, not working around the deficiencies of crappy equipment.

A couple of range trips ago I shared the range with a dad and his twelve year old son. The boy was shooting a compact Ruger American in 308. He was enjoying himself, and shooting quite well, with 125 grain handloads.
Originally Posted by mathman

Rossi = junk.

yes.

I made that mistake so that I may provide testimony to others.

The 22 single shot is OK for plinking, but don't get one for social purposes.

Make sure the stock fits.
Make sure it has a really nice trigger.
Originally Posted by maggie
If you want an affordable single, I would look at NEF.

I bought a NEF compact in .223 for my boys. My oldest son then "stole" a Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40mm from me to put on it.

Dink
If price is a concern, get a Marlin X7, $325.00 shipped to your FFL. Here's the part # from budsgunshop.com. 70384 Just paste that in their search engine.
My youngest has had a .243 CVA Scout Compact for not quite a year. He is really on the small side, and found holding up his brother's 700 Youth to be a challenge. The balance on the single shot, made it much easier for him to support and shoot, although most of his field shooting will be off of sticks or some other rest. He has also had issues with wandering eye dominance, and the $200 CVA seemed like a safer investment than a bolt action that might end up being wrong sided. The trigger on the CVA is excellent and it just seems like a better quality rifle than than the Rossi or NEF offerings. Weight and price were a factor as well.

I think it was the right choice for him, but if he were bigger I would have bought something like the Ruger American compact version. I think it would be a better longer term choice. His brother is now a strapping 6' 210 lbs. 17 year old and his Remington .243 is still serving him well. Just need a slip on pad or new stock, and he's good to go.

Two different kids, two different solutions.

think about a vanguard youth, too, if its within your budget.
The NEF's are good little guns. Don't pawn a savage off on your poor kid, LOL.
It is so easy to find a short action 700 for less than $400 in my area I wouldn't mess with one of the low end single shots. You have something you can upgrade easily if you choose or a known quantity that holds value well enough you could resell without too much loss.
I hear good things about the Ruger American as well and shot a very accurate Marlin XL7.
Here is your gun if you buy new.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_59_110/products_id/84840
Have you guys actually handled those new Rugers? Checked one out a week ago, and it felt like junk. Flexy stock, rough action...
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I have looked at CVA, ROSSI, and a couple other brands. The CVA seems to have the tightest action with less side to side wobble. Anybody have an informed decision on which is the best quality brand? Thanks for any info.

Ruger #1

Gunner
The NEF/H&R Handi Rifles used to be an economical way into shooting, but with the influx of low priced bolt guns the Handi Rifles they are not such a deal any more. With a Savage Axis selling new for $260 at Academy, it is as cheap as a Handi. If he really wants a single shot on the cheap, the Handi Rifles, CVA Scouts, and Baikals are in the price range. I really like the flutes on the BAikal. The CVA Apex is interesting in a higher price range.
PM sent.
Go for the bolt gun. The exposed hammers, often touted as a safety feature, can be a handful for small, weak hands, especially when letting it down from full cock.
Compared the Ruger, savage axis and the Mossberg with the half fluted barrel. Surprisingly, The best trigger was on the Mossberg. Hardly any creep and felt like 3 lbs. $299 at the local gun shop. Ummmm????
I was able to pick up a ruger American for $330, for my son. It shoots. You're not gonna get a single shot worth anything, until you go to the encore/#1 arena. JMO
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
think about a vanguard youth, too, if its within your budget.

I bought one of these in .243 because of the size, thinking it would be just right for hunting out of treestands.

I did equip it with a McMillan stock and a Timney trigger, but neither were *necessary*.

It is a very accurate rifle, and sees a lot of use.
The Ruger Americans is how I would go if buying new. Dad gave me one and, being a Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye fan, I wasn't very impressed until I shot it.
Start cruising the pawn shops for a used savage 110. Probably can pick one up for about $200. Chop the stock, no harm no fowl. And as another said, when you need to unchop, no too expensive.
I will add though, as Coyote Hunter has said, if you have to buy new, the Ruger American would be the one.
How adjustable are those Ruger American triggers? The one I felt, had a fair amount of creep?
Right now, until April 30th, there is a $75 Cash in the Mail Rebate on New Thompson Center Ventures.

They are all over the net being blown out starting at at anywhere from low $300's to low $400's ...and Before the Rebate, Buds has some too. At Bud's 2 days ago I just missed a Weathershield and ALL Purpose Camo 30'06 that would have net net'd to me at $375 when I walked out the door of my FFL. Snooze Ya Looze & shame on me...'cause THAT gun MSRP'd at $578 + whatever for the factory Camo and would have made a GREAT truck gun or Hog shooter that I could take to the car wash to clean up from on the way home outta the muddy creek bottom holes we hunt in.

They have a Lifetime Warrnty for 1" accuracy, failure of the guns workmanship or parts. Adjustable trigger, pillar mounts & floated
barrel and some other stuff.

The only reason I mention this is that the OP wanted a Youth 243 in a quality shooter for Ruger American/Savage Axis prices..and the Compact or Youth Venture has a take apart stock with a removeable spacer that allows the LOP to go from 12 1/2"s to 13 1/2"s in a 20" barrel in 4 calibers - 22-250, 243, 7-08 & 308.

Of the 5-6 guys I've heard from they all say that the Venture meets the 1" Accuracy Warranty.

IMO make sure you get her something that FITS Right whatever you buy.
Ron
Rather B,
Id go with Clark's rec.... 110's can be found at a good price and regardless of the web-speak they shoot a heck of a lot better than " minute of deer". You want a single shot for the child just load one round. Hammer guns are not "safer" for youth hunters. The best safety is between their ears but..... That said I'd admit I'm a .243 fan for adults not so much for youth hunters, lack bullet weight and bullet selection unless you roll your own. I have supplied my kids and grand-kids with 7-08, 30-30 bolts and .308. There are those "low recoil" loads in 7-08 and .308 if you do not hand-load. If you do then you got it covered. My 10 year old grand-daughter who dealt with some exotics in Texas and she was just a little thing then. jm2c
I thought about a 308...I hand load and could easily load some low recoil loads with lighter bullets.
RatherB, Go to the local pawn shop and buy a 110 series Savage w/ the best barrel. Should be in the neighborhood of $200. You will get the best shooting, reliable rifle in a standard caliber (doesn't matter which) anywhere. Muddy
I know they're not for everyone, but I thought it was fairly priced. Just picked up this 30-30 on GB. Have a 7-30 Waters barrel too. Both are adequate for our smallish central Texas deer.

[Linked Image]

DMc
I went the cheap single-shot route when first starting my wife and kids----BIG MISTAKE on so many levels!

Buy a Ruger American Compact and be done with it.
I bought my 12 yr old an H&R 243 in superlight. It is the handiest gun you will ever hold. It has a 12 1/2" LOP a 18" barrel. The problem is it does not shoot well at all. 6" @ 100 yds is a good group. The lighter bullets seem to shoot better however, like 5" @ 100 yds. Some shoot and some don't I really wish I knew about the Ruger youth. It is almost as handy and priced just 50 bucks more or so. Another thing is, as soon as you clean the barrel the groups can go astray. itr's not a very reliable gun. My sone did shoot his first deer with it though. He hit about 6" too far forward but the deer only went 40' . After 2 yrs he went with a Tikka t3 light. It's nice and light but is awkward for him but he shot a buck and a bear with it. in 2012.
ihookem- try a rubber washer around the screw in the forearm to float the barrel.

I have a marlin,now in 308 with a savage 22" barrel, that I shot today. Sr4759 load with 150 gr bullet at 2200 fps. Really pleasant to shoot, with 7 shots into an inch.
I recently picked up a Savage Axis 243 Youth model on clearance at Walmart for $199. A super cheap Barska 3-9 scope was installed and in a few minutes was shooting holes that nearly touched at 50 yards using 100gr Winchester factory loads that I bought in '84 and used to kill my first deer.
When pulling the target I spotted a groundhog at 125 yards and drilled him.
Despite the price, I am pretty impressed with the Axis so far and would recommend one. The trigger is decent and the oversized tang safety would be great for kids.
I had the CVA SCOUT in 243. It had both the short youth stock and the longer adult size. I liked the weight, balance, even the trigger pull. The problem was accuracy. Rarely did it shoot groups under 3 inches at 100 yards. It is traded off for 22 squirrel gun.

I purchased a Savage AXIS in 243 with composite youth stock. I dislike the looks of the new style composit stocks of Savage, Ruger, Remington and TC but the accuracy seems good with most of these guns. There is a fix for the AXIS heavy trigger pull and it can be found on the internet. Brought my pull down to 3 1/2Lb. All bullet weights from 60 SIERRA HP to Hornady 100 interlock group under 1 Inch at 100 yards.

Marlin XS7Y youth rifles are very smooth and rarely go on the market here. Good shooters with many features costing more in other brands. Of all comparable rifles, I would take the Marlin if it was available.

If your boy can handle the additional weight, the Savage 110 with shortened stock is as dependable as you will find. I have not had one in any caliber that would not group 1 1/2" or less with good ammo. The Savage 110s are selling in the $300 range in middle tennessee if in good condition. That is in same price range with the Savage Axis and $50 below Ruger All Americans. Youth models are in real demand and supply is very low.
NEF. Get a couple shotgun barrels, a muzzleloader, and a couple of calibers, have the trigger set while they're fitting the barrels, and you've got a light, handi, any season hunting tool. I've used mine on everything from rabbits to turkey to deer and hogs.

Otherwise, there are plenty of low cost, high utility bolt actions anymore.

Ella
"the best quality, cheap single shot deer rifle??"

A Ruger American with one in the chamber and none in the magazine.

I prefer my Ruger #1 in .280 Rem, though.
Originally Posted by local_favorite
Start cruising the pawn shops for a used savage 110. Probably can pick one up for about $200. Chop the stock, no harm no fowl. And as another said, when you need to unchop, no too expensive.

This +1 or any other inexpensive adult sized bolt gun and keep the chunk of butt you cut off to reattach as the kids turn into full size guys. By then it will need refinishing anyway. Magnum Man
Did you decide on a rifle yet? If not hit me up with a PM. I might just have the rifle for your daughter on the cheap in .243 Win and a spare stock to go with it.
Ruger American Compact is going to be the easiest for the mostest. I've been down this road and am still on it--all the rest of the suggestions involve dinking around to get nowhere good.

Get the 223 with the 9 twist--you'll be golden.
© 24hourcampfire