Home
Posted By: 444Matt Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
I thought it'd be cool to discuss what rifles you found that just fit you and your hunting perfect. Kind of an exercise in seeing how different everyone hunts. I'll start it off with my #1

Short action straight griped Browning BLRs for the mixed style of hunting I've done the last few years these just really work well for me. Come to the shoulder quick like a good bird gun and are accurate for longer 200-300 yard [bleep] if I'm in a greenfield.
My Marlin 336 in .35 Rem wearing a 1-3x20 scope. Nearly all shots are under 100yds with most being in the 10-50yd range. Short, light, points good, quick handling.

In a bolt gun nothing really fits me as good as a Ruger 77 MKII/Hawkeye. My 30/06 and .358 Win get packed around a lot when the Marlin needs a rest.
I like a Remington model 700 youth 7-08 with a 2-7 Leupold on top. A Sims slip on recoil pad takes it to 13.5 inches. Perfect!
Posted By: JPro Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Remington Mountain Rifle, be it a factory stock or the Mcmillan copy. 13 1/8" LOP. Leupold low dual-dovetail rings/bases. Feels like it was made for me, in every department.
My CZ-550 Premium, comes to the shoulder and points like it grew there. It's a .270, but that really doesn't make that much difference with whitetails, cartridge wise I figure I would be good with the same rifle in anything from .243-.300 Mag for deer. Most shots simply are not over 150 yards where I hunt anyway and VERY few are over 100.(They have gotten out there to 300 or so but dang few of 'em, and I usually try to get closer if it isn't about perfect at that distance. It's not that I lack confidence in my shooting, I just want to get one with powder burns some day.) wink
McMillan Mt Rifle stock with edge fill, M7 action, #3 Douglas @ 21", chambered in .358 Win, with DNZ mounts and a 1.75-6. ~6.5lbs. With a slightly forward balance it is a pleasure to shoot offhand and easy to carry. Fits me well and fits still hunting wooded mountain sides perfect.
Standard Remington BDL Sporters with the 22" barrels fit like they were made just for me. I even used one of those stocks as the pattern for another custom made stock and borrowed some features of it for other customs.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Originally Posted by JPro
Remington Mountain Rifle, be it a factory stock or the Mcmillan copy. 13 1/8" LOP. Leupold low dual-dovetail rings/bases. Feels like it was made for me, in every department.

I agree with this,although I like 13.5-13 5/8" LOP.In something like a 7/08,280, or 270, one of the easiest shooting and "hitting" production rifles out there.

Balance is neutral, between the hands, and grip and forend properly shaped, for me.Easily one of Remington's best hunting rifles.
My Sako Finnbear in .270 Win. Perfect fit and feel. Helps that its the most accurate rifle I own.
The best fitting rifle for off hand for me has been a Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional. The Browning 71 I just picked up fits pretty well too
Another 700 MR fan. Easy as point 'n click. As for versions, walnut+drop box > walnut+DBM > laminated SS.

Remington classics & SA CDL's fit me pretty well, too. Whelen CDL balances well, too, what with that big ol' hole going dow the barrel.

FC
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
For bolt rifles my M70EW in a Hunters Edge is perfect for me, not to light not heavy balances well off hand, chambered in 30-06 it's my one rifle to do it all.

It's also hell on shooting houses, just ask Mirage243
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
My Marlin 336 in .35 Rem wearing a 1-3x20 scope.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ except mine wears a 4X Bushnell. My Rem. 700 was a safe queen so I sold it to a member on here.
Would pix be out of order?

GWB
My new Sako Finnlight 25-06 fits me perfectly, the new rubber coated stocks have the raised check piece and the off centre palm swell that works perfect for me....love them!
Posted By: AMRA Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Ether of my Weatherby Mark V`s 270 Roy Outfitter or ULW 30-06.
But I carried my Winchester 1895 405 WCF the most last year.
AMRA
I have 2 hunting rifles that were fit to me. There is no comparison.
Posted By: yeselk Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Another vote for Remington Mountain Rifle
Posted By: VernAK Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Important topic IMO as I see a lot of rifle purchases based on caliber/cartridge only rather that considering fit and function.

The Kimber Montanas with low mounted scopes fit me well as does most Savage 99s.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Originally Posted by geedubya

GWB

Pictures would be cool.
Posted By: mathman Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
My smoothest handler is a short action 700 Classic with the scope mounted in low dual dovetails. I see something, shoulder the rifle, and I'm looking right down the pipe with the crosshair pretty much on target.
In that case�

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FC

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Me too.
Of all rifles, my Rem 700 ADL in 308 with 20 ounce custom stock fits me so well. It's as if my arms are empty without it.

I want to look at this in the compact version
My Ruger M77 in .270 Win.....use it for anything in the lower
48 and it has got its share over the years. Redfield 3x9
Posted By: LJB3 Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
My Pre-64 M-70 in .300 H&H and my 1977 Weatherby MK.V Deluxe in .300 Weatherby. They just come alive in my hands and feel like they were made for me. Pull them to my shoulder and I am looking right through the scope perfectly. I have a Rem. 700 "Classic" in .35 Whelen that fits pretty good to.
Posted By: barm Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Weatherby Mark V and my Sako AII
Posted By: rlott Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14
Never leave home without em'

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/11/14

That, too.
Marlin 1895 GBL...love the big loop and pistol grip, just an ideal combo for me. Points nice, and is a hammer to boot.

GWB

I [bleep] love pics!!! Seems to draw crybabies out of the wood works though whistle
Originally Posted by BobinNH

That, too.

Yeah, that might work...
[Linked Image]

Browning 71 carbine .348 Winchester
Tang safety 77R Rugers fit me like a glove. Unfortunately, I don't have any now.

Went to Winchester 70s now, and the odd Howa now and then.
[Linked Image]

GWB

Best pic I have of her...

[Linked Image]

I LOVE that pic...
Posted By: EdM Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/12/14
This Ruger RS 35 Whelen.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: SLM Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/12/14
Browns fit me like a glove.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by yeselk
Another vote for Remington Mountain Rifle

Fitted with a TI take off works very well for me. I have three of these stocks in use and another on reserve.
1. Marlin 336 by far #1

2. Winchester Model 70 featherweight

3. Roger M77 UL
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

GWB

Best pic I have of her...

[Linked Image]

I LOVE that pic...

Good pic. I like that one too. Those CZ's are shooting sob's...
So far, the Kimber 84M fits me best. My biggest concern is cheekweld... I can deal with LOP and wrist dimensions to a certain degree. Tikklers have a comb a touch too low, and Rugers are even worse. Factory 700s aren't any better, but the Win 70s seem ok... for cheekweld.
Lately, I've really been loving the hell out of this one:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Talleys are going to be coming off next week and Leupold DD's are going on in their place.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/12/14
My Marlin 336
Posted By: rlott Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/12/14
Originally Posted by EdM
This Ruger RS 35 Whelen.

[Linked Image]

That is sweet.
TC Encore Thumbhole Prohunter

Best fitting I have ever had
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/12/14
Another vote for the Remington 700 mountain rifle.
A Brown Precision on a Rem Mountain Rifle is nirvana, but I prefer the non-Rem actions myself.
My Kimber 84L in 30-06 fits me. Made some nice shots with it in field conditions to give me complete confidence.

[Linked Image]
This Montana 300 wsm fits me like a glove.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kitch Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/12/14
This...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If I had to pick just one from my gunsafe, it would likely be the newest resident -- a box stock Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede with a Redfield 3-9X40 on top. It is the SS version.

Pretty vanilla, until you shoot it, and then it shines. It groups most any load I've tried from just over half minute to just under three quarters of a minute. Light to carry, accurate to shoot -- what's not to like? I know -- plastikka.
Posted By: DMc Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/13/14
I've had a lot of rifles, (and shotguns) that fit, felt comfortable, and pointed well. A McMillan Model 7 KS feels like it was tailored specifically for me. (However, I could do without the cheek piece), so the Brown Precision comes in neck & neck at the finish line.

DMc
Lets see, what fits,

well............

just about anything in a Cooper Classic

[Linked Image]

This Sako Riihimaki from 1955 is not only near and dear to my heart, but almost always accompanies me whenever......

[Linked Image]

this ol' push feed Winnie in 270 Win has been drilling stuff for at least 20 years.

[Linked Image]

what's not to like about a sweet rig like this little Stutzen

[Linked Image]

I've told my kids to bury me with this 7Mag

[Linked Image]

Although I'm a blue steel and wood guy, into everyone's life a little rain must fall. This Nosler Custom Sporter in 325 WSM and the Leupold scope with illuminated reticle is the "bee's knees" for dark-thiry hog thumpin'.

[Linked Image]

Although I consider myself to be a short-range meat hunter, this Rem 700 Sendero in 338 RUM works mighty fine when 300-400 yd. shots are called for. It's been to HCR for accurizing and a Vais Brake. A pussy-cat with claws.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_0221.jpg[/img]

Best,

GWB

Originally Posted by DMc
A McMillan Model 7 KS feels like it was tailored specifically for me.

Like this? smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one fits me just fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They both shoot like this.

5 shot group.

Here is another that works just fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJD Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/13/14
700 MR and 7XCR with the 22" barrel.
Like many others a 700 mtn rifle (more so in a Ti stock) fits me as well as any other rifle I have handled. I suspect perfection for me would be a 700 KS in a std caliber, though I'd be interested in handling Paul's 7 KS.
Posted By: Kitch Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/13/14
GWB-You have excellent taste in your choice of rifles...yep, I'm bound to say it. smile

You guys with synthetic stocks, what do you do when they get skinned up here and there? Especially the plain grey ones without any "spider webbing" or camouflage. They just look easy to scuff up.

The paint on mine seems to be really durable. I wouldn't worry about a nick or a scratch, it just adds some character and memories from some hunt.

Originally Posted by Kitch

You guys with synthetic stocks, what do you do when they get skinned up here and there? Especially the plain grey ones without any "spider webbing" or camouflage. They just look easy to scuff up.

here's one that started its life as a Rem 700 Custom KS in 375 H&H. It was sent to Hill Country Rifle for rebarreling to 300 H&H and their accurizing package. It was a plain ol' grey/blue Kevlar stock, somewhat like a Kimber Montana.

[Linked Image]

Just scuff up the finish with sandpaper and apply a base coat. Follow up with some Krylon Webbing Spray to taste and finsih with a clear Urethane then knock off the frizzes from the webbing spray and one more light coat of Urethene and Walla.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Your ready to go out in the wilds of the Texas hill country where every thing stings, stabs, scratches, pokes, bites........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and massacre hoglets. LOL

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_0375_zpsf829fa74.jpg[/img]

when they get scuffed/scratched/dented, just sand them down and start over if ya' want. Most times unless you really booger them, its not apparent.

Best,

GWB

Posted By: Kitch Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/13/14
Excellent! That looks 100% better, IMHO. Although I'm not a big fan of synthetic stocks I like this one. Webbing spray...that's a new one on me. I need to spray some of that on my head to give the appearance of hair. No sandpaper prior, however.
Wish I was home so I could get accurate measurments from the rifle I have "perfected" over the years. I built the stock from a board and have experimented and carved on it until, after 30 years, it is just what I want.

The pull is a bit shorter than most...13 1/8" with a straight buttstock. I have added a bit more drop than is common (years of shooting classic double shotguns I guess) and shoot with my head somewhat errect.....but with my jaw solid against the cheekpiece. Overall the stock is extreamly thin at the wrist and even more so at the forearm. The forearm is short (11") and of the British, safari style. The checkering pattern is a wrap-around style that is of my own design. The barrel of this Mauser actioned rifle is 23" long and very thin and light.

I like this rifle's design so well that I have taken exact measurments from it and "modified" three other rifles so that every demention is the same.

I have never found any factory rifle that was mear what I want. The Savage 99 EG comes pretty close though. Winchester's Model 70 featherweight (the "new" one with the snobble tip) is not bad.....just a bit too thick overall. The Ruger 44 carbine is pretty good too.....after I took a rasp to it and removed quite a bit of thickness from everywhere.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/14/14
Originally Posted by Kitch

You guys with synthetic stocks, what do you do when they get skinned up here and there?

You leave them that way.
Posted By: mathman Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/14/14
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I like this rifle's design so well that I have taken exact measurments from it and "modified" three other rifles so that every demention is the same.

Interesting word. grin
Posted By: PJH Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/14/14
Marlin 336
Posted By: tzone Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/14/14
Remington 7600's.
Sorry about the spelling.....I think faster than I type. I always said that's what "editors" are for.....to edit and get it right for publication. I am the "talent"....not an editor.

I much prefer walnut stocks (the higher grade the better), not plastic. I also perfer high polish blued steel, not stainless or painted. I do appreciate the value of plastic and brushed finishes (including stainless), but on a "custom" rifle, I don't see the point. Asthetics are as important to me as utility....pariticularly in a one-of-a kind custom job. Just me maybe, but the "look" is as important as the utility. Otherwise we'd all be shooting Savage 110's in plastic stocks.

Just thought of that makes me shudder. My "fine" rifles have to look the part as well as perform.

Ruger M77 walnut stock ,tang safety in 3006. My first bolt action and still the best fit for me.
Posted By: Brad Re: Rifles that just 'fit' you - 04/16/14
Kimber 84M Montana... like it was designed just for me. Nothing else much compares.
© 24hourcampfire