Home
Posted By: longshot3 A bedding kind of day... - 04/15/14
Anyone else got a project going for this season? I got a deal, too good to pass, on a Model 70, 300WSM. First thing to go was the factory Tupperware. I got an MPI Ambi-thumbhole and got the inletting done yesterday. Took me about an hour. Made pillars, clayed and waxed and have it now resting in the ever slow hardening goop! Taped the barrel .060 thick, for a great free float.

Tomorrow, will pop it out, finish sanding, and cut to length for a Decelerator.

Still deciding on paint...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/15/14
Wow, I"ve never used that much goop.

Do you have enough clearance on the bolt handle with a piece of duct tape only?
Posted By: longshot3 Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/15/14
Yep. It's 10 mil pipe tape, 2 layers. About .020 I was a little heavy on the bedding material this morning!
did you use guide screws, action screws or ?
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
did you use guide screws, action screws or ?

Inletting pins, then cinched down with the action screws.
Posted By: utah708 Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/15/14
Brave man. You left the trigger installed as well.
Originally Posted by utah708
Brave man. You left the trigger installed as well.

If you clay all the reverse angles, you have nothing to worry about. On that note, I did break a trigger on a factory Remington about 10 years ago.
Posted By: powdr Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/16/14
You could have used some of that left over slop to bed the bolt slot. That bolt notch is hideous. I could never live with that. powdr
Posted By: longshot3 Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by powdr
You could have used some of that left over slop to bed the bolt slot. That bolt notch is hideous. I could never live with that. powdr

Its not like I'm leaving it all on the stock! wink Two minutes with a file and the notch was perfect, with no air pockets. The leftover slop is all gone too...
Posted By: ldholton Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/16/14
That much extra bedding and trigger is still on I'm thinking your phuucckkkedc , good luck
Originally Posted by powdr

I could have bed 4 rifles with that much left over whistle laugh
Originally Posted by ldholton
That much extra bedding and trigger is still on I'm thinking your phuucckkkedc , good luck

Nope. It popped right out. As I said earlier, If you take care of all the reverse angles with clay, they don't get "glued" in.
BSA, When the bedding material is about the consistency of Silly Putty, I take it off and make tea cups! smile
Posted By: ldholton Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by longshot3

Nope. It popped right out. As I said earlier, If you take care of all the reverse angles with clay, they don't get "glued" in.
The bedding you use must be thicker , with that much extra I would be as wording about glueing in as I would over flow inti the trigger and making it unusable

The bedding you use must be thicker , with that much extra I would be as wording about glueing in as I would over flow inti the trigger and making it unusable

It is really thick. It does flow down and around the trigger. The trick is to clay a bit wider than the trigger and you have no problem. The stock is coming out really nice. Should be painting this weekend!
BSA, When the bedding material is about the consistency of Silly Putty, I take it off and make tea cups! smile

There's enough there, you could invite Whoopie Goldberg over, throw it on a potters wheel and be golden. laugh .. As long as she popped out and the bedding looks and works good, who cares how much a guy uses laugh..It's your chicken to pluck wink. Any pics of the finished product??
Posted By: longshot3 Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

There's enough there, you could invite Whoopie Goldberg over, throw it on a potters wheel and be golden. laugh .. As long as she popped out and the bedding looks and works good, who cares how much a guy uses laugh..It's your chicken to pluck wink. Any pics of the finished product??

A potters wheel! smile Doing some sanding and clay removal now. Going to cut it and install my pad. Im thinking textured green with black webbing. I'll post a pic in a minute.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: A bedding kind of day... - 04/17/14
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is the "almost finished" bedding. a bit of dremel smoothing and clay removal left.
© 24hourcampfire