Home
Posted By: CowboyTim Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
What is the consensus on these...good? Average? I've been considering one in their #718 contour for an 8x57 project...
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
Heard nothing but great things from my AR-15 guys who compete....
Posted By: sactoller Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
I have one on my 9.3x62, sub 1" with just about every load I run through it.

I have 3 barrels on order, .358 an 6.5 and 9.3. Should be here soon, I hope.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
I have one chambered in 6.5x64. It shoots.
Posted By: osix Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
Have in 338WM and 9.3.
Both sub moa; no complaints about internal finish and ease of cleaning.
Posted By: Sevens Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
I have a #718 in 9.3x62. It's been very accurate. Actually had it out yesterday at the range.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
have a .223 varmint barrel, not the hardest application, but it's my best barrel.
I had one on a 280AI, no complaints, shot great from the get go.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
Thanks for the feedback everyone, got a couple of Mausers I'd like to get done this year. I'm going back to work this week so hopefully I'll be able to get the barrels and the safeties ordered in the next month or so....(one thing at a time ya know...)
Posted By: Ackman Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
I've had real good luck with LW barrels. Out of about 12 or 14 different brands of aftermarket barrel, one particular LW is my favorite.
Posted By: Tikka260 Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/19/14
Similar experience over here in 6.5x55, 7-08, and 7x57 calibres. They all shoot fine for hunting rifles, .5 MOA and better on a good day. The best thing about them is that they are available on this side of The Pond as opposed to the US manufacturers. Just having one fitted to a 260 on a Borden Alpine, and looking forward to that.
I have one on a 98 maser in 30/06 shoots fine
Posted By: shootAI Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/20/14
I think they make a great barrel. I have two and they shoot as well as other barrel makers I own
Posted By: JimR Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/20/14
Only have one LW barrel now, but had several before. All have been accurate and clean easily.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/20/14
I purchased these chrome moly barrels through the slim LW pickings at Brownells:
(4) 257 Roberts Ackley Improved [2002]
(1) 7mmRemMag [2011]
(1) 223 [2013]

They were all shot very well.
But communicating with Woody [LW for the US] I have been unable to make any kind of deal as an amateur gunsmth building my own rifles.

So I am just about done with LW unless Brownells expands the line or LW USA loosens up.
Right now I am buying Shilen, Benchmark, Krieger, and Green mountain.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/21/14
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I purchased these chrome moly barrels through the slim LW pickings at Brownells:
(4) 257 Roberts Ackley Improved [2002]
(1) 7mmRemMag [2011]
(1) 223 [2013]

They were all shot very well.
But communicating with Woody [LW for the US] I have been unable to make any kind of deal as an amateur gunsmth building my own rifles.

So I am just about done with LW unless Brownells expands the line or LW USA loosens up.
Right now I am buying Shilen, Benchmark, Krieger, and Green mountain.

Am I reading this right? Are you expecting Lothar-Walther to extend you a discount just because you are building your own rifles, as an "amateur gunsmith"? Sounds like you don't even have an FFL. If you are an FFL holder, simply inform LW of this, forward the documentation, and work out the details with them for their trade discount.

Why would Woody accommodate someone who's just a "bubba" and not a legitimate member of the trade?
Posted By: greydog Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 04/21/14
Generally, I would expect discounts to based on volume but don't know if that is the case with L-W.
I have fitted a few and found them to be good enough but not the exceptional product the company claims them to be. I put one on my own 7x57 Ruger and it shot considerably worse than the slightly pitted factory barrel it replaced. It fouled badly and shot solid four inch groups. After being lapped, it is now a good performer (moa or less) and I no longer dislike it. GD
Posted By: sactoller Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 05/02/14
Got my 3 barrels today!

Now the real fun starts...My gunsmith is going to be busy.

He is going to finish up my 404 Jeffery
Then onto the .350 Rigby Rimless
Then a switch barrel, 6.5x57 and 9.3x62

The latter two are on 1909 actions.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? - 05/03/14
Lothar Walter Barrels are peculiar in a specific way. Anyone know what it is?
© 24hourcampfire