Home
What do you think of your rifles? Pros? Cons? I'm thinking of getting a stainless .308 model in the distant future, although I will probably wait until they are discontinued and being blown out somewhere 'cuz I'm a f'n jerk like that. grin laugh

Swampman700, you need not comment, your opinion/opinions means absolutely nothing to me, everyone else who owns or has owned one please share your thoughts.
Posted By: dhg Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 04/19/14
Haven't owned one but spoken to quite a few who have - and I think it would be fair to say all have ended up disappointed. They were very popular when first released down here, but now there are a lot going on the second hand market. Pros: accurate and indestructible. Cons: clunky, heavy, rough as guts and largely an exercise in styling. A 30-30 lever with a compact scope is more practical.
I haven't owned one, but I did get to shoot one and talk to the owner.
I'm kind of puzzled by the comments on "clunky" and heavy. If that's how you felt, why did you buy one ?
The one I shot had the original 16.5 inch barrel. It shot softer than I thought it would. The untuned trigger wasn't as bad as I fear it would be. I understand they can be reworked to make most people happy with them.
They have some features I rather like.
First, one can adjust the lenth of pull. Might be worth doing. Never tried it, but I have had a couple of stock lenthend, and ordered one a little longer than standard.
They come with very good iron sights. Remove the rear sight and one can mount a conventional scope. I had a custom scout rifle for a while. I didn't care for the Burris 2.7X Scout Scope I had. For me, the ideal scope for the Gunsite Scout would be Leupold's 1.25-4X20 VX-R Patrol. I have one on my M70 Fwt.
I, too, am thinking hard about getting one. E

Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79

Swampman700, you need not comment, your opinion/opinions means absolutely nothing to me, everyone else who owns or has owned one please share your thoughts.

Everyone on the fire should just make that their signature line. It would save a lot of bandwidth...
I love my Ruger Scout in .308. It's my go to hog gun at the Ranch. I know others complained they were not accurate, but mine will shoot 1/2" 5-shot groups @ 100 yards all day long with the cheap Factory Remington Corelok 150 gr. ammo.
Very soft on the recoil, too. I just stuck a little Leupold 3X9 Compact on mine as soon as I bought it. I'm not a fan of the so called "scout" scopes.
Posted By: dhg Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 04/20/14
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I haven't owned one, but I did get to shoot one and talk to the owner.
I'm kind of puzzled by the comments on "clunky" and heavy. If that's how you felt, why did you buy one ?

What I meant was that in my part of the world, most of the guys who got the GSR were chasing pigs in heavy cover, and I think a majority have come to the conclusion that they would probably have rather stuck with their old 30-30 lever guns for this job. If you compare the GSR to a quality 30-30 lever gun, which in the end does essentially the same thing (especially the short barrelled GSR), the old fashioned lever gun just handles faster and seems the more efficient package. A 30-30 lever with 20" barrel is of similar length and offers similar ballistics to the short barrelled GSR, but can be 6.5lb vs about 7'5lb, doesn't have the bulky magazine right where your hand wants to go, and just shoulders better and works smoother.

It depends what you want to use the rifle for, but it is still pretty hard to beat the old rear-locking American lever for a no-nonsense, reliable, compact woods rifle.
[Linked Image]

A+++++ on my GSR - short compact - recoil is nothing - remove the scout rail and use as standard scope mount. Not into scout scopes. Scope is a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm Boone & Crocket reticle. Whack a 12" x 12" steel plate at 400 yards no problem. Mine is a 3/4" to 1 " shooter with a couple of bullet weights that I've tried.

Couple of bad things - 10 round steel magazine rattles like crazy. Purchased a 3 & 5 round polymer magazine. They feed smooth and no noise. Second thing is it's a bit on the heavy side but that's what a sling is for.

RJM ( member & friend ) waited for the stainless to come out. He mounted one of the new Burris Scout Scopes on his rifle. I believe it's a 2-7 with ballistic plex. Put it on 7 power and whack away. I shot his rifle set-up and there was no problem hitting the 400 yard plate. It's a clean looking set-up but he does like the scout system.

Ken
Or buy a Ruger American Compact in 308 and call it a day.
A lot of talk about sccuracy.

However, what I want to know is what do you think of the rifle after carrying it from dawn till dusk for several days?
Posted By: mikeone Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 04/20/14
I like mine.
i've never carried it from dawn til dusk,but i suppose it's doable.

I have 3 .308's,my GSR is a dedicated sub-sonic round shooter.
Can't wait to get my tax stamp,and screw a suppressor on it.

With Sierra 190 MK's and 11.0 gr. Trail Boss I have put 10 in just over an inch.
Mike
Mikeone - how's that 190gr SMK work for you? I've got a .30/06 Rem LR rifle that, once the trigger re-call is handled, I'd like to try in it. Fired prone I'd think it would produce less felt recoil on the shoulder than a .300WM yet still allow high BC's down range. What do you think? Homesteader
I'd suggest the 155 g. Scenar or the new Sierra 155 gr. Palma bullet in the '06. With 58 grs. of Ramshot Big Game, it shoots surprisingly flat, and bucks wind well. With a BC of about .480 and muzzle velocity of 3000 fps. plus, it certainly performs well.
But, above all, recoil is alot less than my 200 gr. loads and even noticably less than my 180 gr. loads. E
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79

Everyone on the fire should just make that their signature line. It would save a lot of bandwidth...
laugh!
Originally Posted by firearms44
[Linked Image]

A+++++ on my GSR - short compact - recoil is nothing - remove the scout rail and use as standard scope mount. Not into scout scopes. Scope is a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm Boone & Crocket reticle. Whack a 12" x 12" steel plate at 400 yards no problem. Mine is a 3/4" to 1 " shooter with a couple of bullet weights that I've tried.

Couple of bad things - 10 round steel magazine rattles like crazy. Purchased a 3 & 5 round polymer magazine. They feed smooth and no noise. Second thing is it's a bit on the heavy side but that's what a sling is for.

RJM ( member & friend ) waited for the stainless to come out. He mounted one of the new Burris Scout Scopes on his rifle. I believe it's a 2-7 with ballistic plex. Put it on 7 power and whack away. I shot his rifle set-up and there was no problem hitting the 400 yard plate. It's a clean looking set-up but he does like the scout system.

Ken
Is that the 5 or 3 round mag in this pic? I'm assuming 5?
I'd probably buy & use the 3 round mag if I get one, as I prefer a smoother belly on my rifle, and it would just be for hunting anyway, plus save a little weight between that and Talley scope mounts for the rail.

I also want the stainless model so I can use the supplied thread protector and take that butt-ugly and unnecessary flash hider (IMO) off.
Posted By: jstall Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 04/21/14
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I like mine, I killed 3 hogs with it this year. I won the gun at a Friends of NRA banquet. I run a 130 gr. Barnes TSX @ 2800 fps. It shoots 1/2 to 3/4" @ 100 all day, with minimal recoil.
Thanks for sharing!
I have a LH RGS and I enjoy shooting and hunting with it. I used the iron sights for quite awhile and this Christmas I succumed to a Black Friaday sale and bought a Burris 2.5X Scout scope and Leupold QRW rings. I like the Scout scope for shooting from field positions. I have not felt hindered in low light or morning sun - when the sun shines at me. Some have commented they have trouble with the Scout scope when looking into the morning sun.
The large cross hairs require the use of larger targets. I use black retangles on white background paper and aim for the corners. This allows me to align the cross hair with the edge of the rectangle and prevents canting.
I ned a better sling and I am thinking Andy's Rhodesian sling is what I will try.
I dont care for bi-pods so I dont have any of that. I use the three shot nagazine.
This rifle displays surprising accuracy with a variety of bullet weights.I am not able to live up to the rifles accuracy potential shooting from field positions.
I would like to replace the flash hider with a solid flash hider simply because I am not a "tactical" kind of shooter.

I know what dhg trying to describe. I cannot adequatly express the thought either. I shoot a few lever action rifles - my primary reason for "interneting" is to discuss lever action rifle shooting - and a side by side comparison of the Winchester Model 94AE in 307 with the Ruger GSR is interesting. My first impression was the unscoped GSR was heavier than the Model 94 Big Bore with a scope. This is not the case but the impression was strong.
The Ruger GSR did not feel as "lively" in my hands as the lever action rifle. The balance of the GSR is good with the center of gravity between the hands. The GSR comes to the shoulder quickly but the safetety is slow - even after you become accustomed to it. The bolt on my GSR has smoothed up and works reasonably fast/smooth but the Model 94 will shuck out three rounds quicker. I can see where a pig hunter who primarily hunts in thick brush would prefer the lever action rifle.
I have a Model 94 16" Trapper in 30-30 with a 2.5X scope mounted in a Burris forward mount. This rifle is quick to shoulder and the action cycles smoothly without distracting the shooter. The first shot is quick with a stab-at-the-hammer and both eyes open, point and shoot that the bolt action rifle has difficulty emulating.
I like and enjoy shooting my Riger Scout rifle but it will not take the place of a Model 94 Trapper or the 444 Winchester Timber Rifle for fast shooting in close brush. There is a feel to the thin lever action rifle that is difficult to describe.

[Linked Image]
Oheremicus - had not thought about the lighter end of the weight range for the '06. Be interesting to compare 168SMK also. Thanks.
Homesteader
Mine is shown with the 3 round mag.

Ken
I Like my Ruger Scout a lot. I ended up bringing it to Alaska last year and used it to take a black bear. I had planned to bring another rifle but had some problems with that gun and brought the scout instead. I used a Nikon 3-9 BDC scope mounted in QD rings from Warne. I used Remington Core Lokt 180 grain ammo (no other .308 could be found in CT at the time).
I hunted with a five round polymer mag in the rifle and a loaded ten round polymer in my pack.
I would say my only complaint about the rifle would be the narrow forend. It's a little too thin for me.
I would love one in .338 Federal or .358 Winchester. It is still tough to beat a lever gun for a scout type application.
The only thing I like about lever guns is their compact size and length personally, as far as durability, reliability, ballistics, and aftermarket upgrades such as better triggers, stocks, etc. (very important to me), I'll take a bolt gun any day of the week.

Not knocking lever guns or their fans, I understand their merit, just not my thing, but I also grew up shooting bolt-actions, so that's what I'm best with personally.

Although, having said that, Savage 99s have always intrigued me... grin

The 358 Scout would make a nice rifle for the ground blinds. The 225-grain Sierra bullet is a wonderful bullet for deer and pigs.
If it were a choice between a Savage 99 in 308/358 and the Ruger Scout, the Ruger would win out.
Its a bit more difficult when the Winchester 307 and 356 are in the mix. The Winchesters have proven to be very durable for us over many years of hunting and shooting. The accuracy is good for an off hand hunting rifle. They all function reliably. The triggers can be tuned - with the long take-up of the rebounding hammer Big Bores I admit - unless the lower tang and trigger is replaced.
The 307 Winchester and the 308 Marlin Express are two rifles and cartridges which will serve the walking hunter well.
It wouldn't be difficult for me.

Finding brass & ammo everywhere trumps the merit of proprietary cartridges IMO, I even own a few, 7mm SAUM, .300 SAUM and .338 RCM.

They all have a factory equivalent or a different chambering with more available brass:

.308 Winchester, .338 Federal (.308 brass) .358 Winchester (.308 brass), 7mm-08 (.308 brass), 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag.

Now I realize not all of these chamberings are ideal for a scout rifle, for an all around rifle even in a lever-action, I'd pick 7mm-08 or .308.

Since lever guns can be had in these chamberings, I see no point to the extra ammo and brass expense involved in getting a scout rifle chambered in a proprietary cartridge, just my opinion.

Also, since the effective range of a scout rifle is supposed to be roughly 300 yds on Big Game, I'd say the .308 Winchester makes the most sense on all fronts in a bolt or lever-action.

I have to admit I give no thought to the availability of factory ammunition or brass for any firearm - but I understand it is a consideration. 307 and 356 brass is easily made from 444 Marlin if the need arises.
Of all the cartridges mentioned the 307 and 308 are my favorites. Using the superb Speer 170-grain flat nose Hot Core bullet in the 307 you have a point blank range on a 7" target of about 240-yards which is further than I should be shooting from field positions, but the rifle is up to it.
So many good rifles and cartridges, so little time and money!
Originally Posted by william_iorg

So many good rifles and cartridges, so little time and money!
Very True!
I believe the Savage scout rifle is available in .308, 7mm-08 and 7.62x39. That gives a the scout rifle shooter a couple more options.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 05/06/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead

This is what I did. In fact I bought 2, one in 308 and another in 223. The 2 rifles, along with 2 spare mags each cost less than the GSR. They are 2-3" shorter and a pound lighter. Both will keep 3 shots under 1.5" @ 200 yards.

I like the concept of a handy,light, compact accurate bolt rifle and have seriously considered the GSR since it came out. In the end I just felt I was paying a premium for features I'd never use. It is also a lot heavier than necessary. I have no need for a 10 round mag, 4-5 are plenty, and forward mounted scopes suck. There is nothing they do that a low powered scope with 1X or 2X on the low end mounted conventionally doesn't do better.

I think Ruger is on the right track, but with the heavy laminated stock, flash hider and a 10 round magazine protruding underneath it is neither light, compact, or handy. Put it in a lighter synthetic stock, lose the flash hider, include the smaller 3 and 5 round mags with the gun instead of having to pay extra for them, and reduce the price by about $200 and I'd buy one.
I'm getting a 308 compact next to go along with the 223.
Originally Posted by JMR40

This is what I did. In fact I bought 2, one in 308 and another in 223. The 2 rifles, along with 2 spare mags each cost less than the GSR. They are 2-3" shorter and a pound lighter. Both will keep 3 shots under 1.5" @ 200 yards.

I like the concept of a handy,light, compact accurate bolt rifle and have seriously considered the GSR since it came out. In the end I just felt I was paying a premium for features I'd never use. It is also a lot heavier than necessary. I have no need for a 10 round mag, 4-5 are plenty, and forward mounted scopes suck. There is nothing they do that a low powered scope with 1X or 2X on the low end mounted conventionally doesn't do better.

I think Ruger is on the right track, but with the heavy laminated stock, flash hider and a 10 round magazine protruding underneath it is neither light, compact, or handy. Put it in a lighter synthetic stock, lose the flash hider, include the smaller 3 and 5 round mags with the gun instead of having to pay extra for them, and reduce the price by about $200 and I'd buy one.

Been pondering doing the same for a truck gun. I have a Steyr Scout so that is the benchmark for handiness. I agree that the RIGHT 1-4x scope with a cat-tail on the power ring is equally as versatile as a forward-mounted scout scope. The Ruger Compact lacks BU irons though, and that could be remedied. XS makes a ghost ring that'll clamp the rear base, and NECG makes banded fronts that can be ordered with a variety of ID's and sweated into place.
To all the guys that have one and discussed the accuracy issue, thanks.

I've been thinking about getting one and have seen mixed reviews in the accuracy department. Given how well my other Rugers shoot I've been somewhat skeptical of poor accuracy as a rule. I did find one report where a fairly large number (20?)of 3-shot groups with factory ammo averaged MOA accuracy.

Talked to an ex-Army sniper the other day and he loves his. If I sell my second .300WM, as is the plan, the Gunsite Scout is my first choice to replace it.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
To all the guys that have one and discussed the accuracy issue, thanks.

I've been thinking about getting one and have seen mixed reviews in the accuracy department. Given how well my other Rugers shoot I've been somewhat skeptical of poor accuracy as a rule. I did find one report where a fairly large number (20?)of 3-shot groups with factory ammo averaged MOA accuracy.

Talked to an ex-Army sniper the other day and he loves his. If I sell my second .300WM, as is the plan, the Gunsite Scout is my first choice to replace it.

My Ruger GSR is the most accurate Ruger rifle I've ever owned.
My only dislike are the metal magazines. Like someone mentioned, they rattle. I use the Factory Polymer mags.
Also, I mounted my scope, a Leupold 2 X 7 via the traditional method.

Never had much use for a Scout Scope, or saw a need for one while hunting. I'm not planning on being a "sniper" or going to war with mine. wink
Does the GSR have the same fwd mount base as the Frontier? Posted a question earlier about how to remove that base to get a Leupy w 32mm obj. mounted.
Posted By: mikeone Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 10/26/14
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Does the GSR have the same fwd mount base as the Frontier? Posted a question earlier about how to remove that base to get a Leupy w 32mm obj. mounted.

It's just a picatinny rail held on with 4 screws.
Ruger has filler screws on their web site.
Mike
Posted By: CRS Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 10/26/14

Or Howa, Remington, Kimber, Winchester etc.

I have handled them and was seriously considering buying one. But I just cannot bring myself to do it. It just is not a rifle that I feel I would use a bunch.

Go out and handle a bunch of different 308's and go with the one that feels the best to you.

It seems like the Ruger is marketing to emotion, and a very small niche that is easily filled by other rifles.
Posted By: natman Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 11/05/14
Originally Posted by scoutman
A lot of talk about sccuracy.

However, what I want to know is what do you think of the rifle after carrying it from dawn till dusk for several days?

I don't own one because IMO it's too heavy for a 308. I seriously doubt that opinion would change after carrying it from dawn till dusk for several days, because I've tried it with rifles in larger calibers.

I also think the length wasted on the flash hider would be better used by a longer barrel and that the magazine is needlessly long for the capacity.

On the plus side it's rugged and has good iron sights.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 11/05/14
^ this is what ultimately soured me on it too, although the flash hider can easily be removed and replaced with thread protectors.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 11/06/14
I have a sporterized K98 with a 21 inch barrel, iron sights and a cut down military stock. It's actually fairly light. I can't see the GSR as being lighter or having any real advantages over the this rifle. Plus I only have about $200 in the gun. That's 1/4th the cost of the GSR. kwg
My family probably has more Rugers than any other brand.

After studying and praying on the matter, however, I opted to get the slicker, smoother Tikka CTR in .260 for $40 less MSRP. Happy as a fat bitch about it.

Tikka should add 8-twist 5.56 to the CTR options...
Posted By: natman Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 11/06/14
Originally Posted by natman

I don't own one because IMO it's too heavy for a 308. I seriously doubt that opinion would change after carrying it from dawn till dusk for several days, because I've tried it with rifles in larger calibers.

I also think the length wasted on the flash hider would be better used by a longer barrel and that the magazine is needlessly long for the capacity.

On the plus side it's rugged and has good iron sights.
Originally Posted by K1500
^ this is what ultimately soured me on it too, although the flash hider can easily be removed and replaced with thread protectors.

Unfortunately, that doesn't make the barrel any longer. Although I understand that there are export models that don't have the flash hider and use a longer barrel.

Still too heavy and too long a magazine.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 11/06/14
^ yes, but it does eliminate the 'wasted space'. The stainless model has a slightly longer barrel, but it is still pretty short.
For sure clunky, the magazine is a little clumsy, but my friend's .308 is very accurate.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Owners - 11/07/14
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
My family probably has more Rugers than any other brand.

After studying and praying on the matter, however, I opted to get the slicker, smoother Tikka CTR in .260 for $40 less MSRP. Happy as a fat bitch about it.

Tikka should add 8-twist 5.56 to the CTR options...

I didn't even know they made that ugly ass thing.

Did you get the 260 or 308? I'm thinking mag constraints are no problem with either...

Travis
© 24hourcampfire