Home
Trying to merge 2 eternal threads. blush

My first was a 788 in .243, when I was 12. According to the internet, mine was the ONLY one that ever left the factory that wasn't a one-hole, tack-driving suminabitch. 3 or 4 MOA was more like it. Anyway, it killed deer as well as I could shoot it, but I wouldn't have been comfortable going for elk or moose with it.

How about the rest of you? Have you chased the rainbow in rifles &/or cartridges, when your first rifle realistically would have carried you through all your hunting?

FC
Sure it could have. Ruger Tang Safety 77 in 30-06.

But really what fun would that be?

twofish
Ironically, that too was my first rifle. It shot well enough, but it only lasted about a year. My second rifle was a tang safety M77 in 270.

That rifle could have served the purpose of "one rifle".

I've been through over 100 since....
Originally Posted by twofish
Sure it could have. � But really what fun would that be?

twofish

I'm just assuaging my guilt over all the $/time I've spent on rifles, by saying, "well, that 1st rifle wouldn't have worked for those hunts, anyway." The problem comes after my next rifle, which was a .30-06� blush

FC
No, my first was a Savage 110 300 Win. Mag. Biggest POS ever. Kept it for a year and then sold it for more than I bought for it when it was NIB.
Yep. M77 in 25-06.

Travis
M77 mk2 in .270, stainless/boatpaddle. clearly it could not have been a good general purpose big game rifle.
My first was a 30-06 so, yes, the cartridge could definitely have served the "one rifle" purpose. The problem was the delivery mechanism, a Rem 710 cry. Who knows? Using it to fire a few shots each season, it might have lasted all my life. I didn't keep it long enough to find out. I've also figured out that I enjoy shooting WAY more than just a few times each season!

Since several folks have mentioned their second, my second could easily have been the "one'. Ruger M77 MarkII in 280Rem. Won it at a RMEF banquet.
Originally Posted by deflave
Yep. M77 in 25-06.

Travis

Now that is spooky. My first as well with the mid-weight sporter barrel. Killed everything from fox to elk with that rifle and still one of my go-to rifles.
Nope, my first rifle was a 30 carbine. Great for a 6 year old. Not to good for an all-arounder though.
My 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th rifles would all have been good 'one' rifles - Rem. 600 243, Savage 99c 243, 700 ADL 25-06 and Blaser R-93 300 WM.

After those there have been too many to remember (some that I don't WANT to remember)
Sure. My first rifle was a Ruger M77 in 250 Sav. Certainly more than adequate for the deer and bear hunting that I do.
Then? Yes. Now? No.
yes, my first was a Sako forester pre garcia 308 win....given to me by a relative. could have stopped there easily.
Definitely. The first rifle I "used" was my father's Savage 99 in .308. This rifle is still in use annually by my baby brother.

The first rifle I ever bought could have been used forever for the purpose I bought it for....close range brush hunting. That Marlin 336 in .35 Remington was long ago traded....but not because it didn't "work" for me.

My first "real" deer rifle was a 98 FN Mauser in .30-06. It is still in my gunroom and at the top of my "go-to" list. That rifle alone has taken some 100+ head of big game over the years.
Nope. My first rifle was a Remington 700 in .270 Win. I got tired of the bullets bouncing off jackrabbits so replaced it with a 30-06 and a 7mm Rem Mag.
A Savage 99 in .300 Savage. Yes, it would do the job.
Sure could - my first rifle I bought myself is a Remington KS Mtn Rifle in .280Rem that I still have but never use.
No.

Pre 64 Standard Weight 243. Was unnecessarily heavy and bulky for what it was.
For big game? yes; my first was a .270, a well-proven cartridge. If you mean for all shooting, definitely not, I shoot a lot at prairie dogs.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Yep. M77 in 25-06.

Travis

Now that is spooky. My first as well with the mid-weight sporter barrel. Killed everything from fox to elk with that rifle and still one of my go-to rifles.

Tanger? Iron sights?

Maybe we're destined to be totally BFF.

Travis
Either way you look at it...yup. First one I used was a Mauser 98 sporter in 8x57, first one I owned was a Mauser sporter in 30-06. Can't think of much I couldn't do with either of them...Hell I've got 4 "1" rifles now...maybe I shoud pare it down a bit...
My first one - a Savage 99 in 308, NO WAY. Darned thing kicked like a mule and built in a flinch that I was years getting rid of. Don't know why it hurt so bad but I have had other folks say the same thing about them.

Now my second one - that could have been the one I kept but hard times forced me to sell it. Remington 660 in 243, nice walnut stock with the fake ebony forend, 20 inch barrel, handled and shot like a dream. Still miss that one.

drover
I think I forget what my first rifle was anymore... blush

Anyone here know?

But I think it was a Winchester 670 in 30/06. The caliber would have been fine and the rifle would have worked but I would never have loved it.
Yep.

First rifle I paid for was a Winchester model 70 XTR in .30-06. She's retired now.

P
Yeah,..it could have been.

It was a Win Model 670A, a push feed Model 70 with a birch stock, pressed checkering and blind mag.
This was before the Ranger model took over as the econo Model 70.

...and it was in 30-06. I sold it to a coworker in 1990 when I moved to Texas for a year...figured there were better rifle deals there....I was right.
AIN'T NO WAY

1972 Win 94, nuff said?

Got rid of it in '74 IIRC, haven't missed it.

It was 1976 before I got a 700 BDL in 270. That one cudda been.

I'd saved a lotta $$ if I'd kept it only. However I've had a TON of fun and learned a lot by buying/selling/trading MANY rifles and cartridges. BTW I hunted and killed deer and game with nearly all the rifles I've had. There were very few I didn't hunt.
Maybe, but more NO. Mine was an inexpensive new 788 carbine 308 that carried as heavy as a fence post and it wasn't the ruger tang safety 3006 I wanted. I sold the 788 one year later and bought the R77 on my 15th birthday and still have it. Don't use it much because I play with other guns. Its not as accurate as it once was, but its still "woods" accurate.

I think I have bought the final "one" rifle now. Browning x-bolt SS 3006. Justified it with the wetter MN deer seasons the last decade and it has the tang safety I like on the ruger and the box mag I liked on the 788. Time will tell, but I suspect I will thin down the population until its the ruger and the x-bolt.
No but it could have worked for about 90% of the hunting I've done in the last 50 years.
M94 in 30-30
M94 30/30 Nah

2nd Rem 700 25-06 coulda mighta worked
Yep. Remington Classic in .270.
Life was simpler then and can't help but think it'd be a lot simpler today if I had just stopped there. smile
98 sporter in 8x57..would have covered all my bases with room to spare.
.243 vanguard. could have worked as an all around and should have kept it.
No, a Ruger in 7.62x39. But my second one sure could of. Browning A Bolt II in 280rem with a Burris FFII 3-9 it was the Stainless Stalker model

Now I am a CRF guy but that A Bolt was a slick accurate rig in a fine chambering.

Now I slum a 30-06 M70 for a dedicated do it all rifle.
Remington 700 Classic in 7mmRM . . . could have been the last one I bought.

It was before Remington made the Classic a limited yearly release, and had open sights.

I didn't like the open sights or the weight of it, and decided it was a lot of gun for whitetails in the woods.
Yes. Winchester Model 54 in 30-06 with peep sight, inherited from my Grandfather. It will kill anything walking in North America inside 200 yards. But compared to modern rifles it is just too damn big to lug around all day.
MY first was a 99e .308 win. I didnt care for it, but killed two elk with it.

Now, the first I ever bought was a Rem 700 MTN LS 30-06... And Yes, it would do just fine as my one and only rifle but thats no fun!
I hunted for my first 10 years (at least as an adult) exclusively with a single rifle - a Sako 75 in 7mm-08. It did everything from rabbits to deer. There is a lot to be said for hunting exclusively with a single rifle, especially when starting out.
First sure could have worked and been the one if necessary.... a .300 Savage in a Remington 760 pump that still is a sub-moa rifle handed down to my son. But there have been many others since, mainly bolt actions.
Savage M99 250-3000. Yes, if I would have stuck with hunting Whitetails and a bear or two, however I had dreams of bigger game.
Yes. But it never captured my heart. It was a Remington 760 .30-06.
My first was a 22LR. My first centerfire was a Remington 700 ADL is 270 Win. My son has that rifle now, wearing the same old Denver Redfield Widefield I mounted over 30 years ago. It remains the most accurate box stock Remington I ever owned. The only stock Rifle I ever owned that was as accurate was my Tikka T3 in 270 Win.

That old ADL has killed a bunch of stuff and I could very easily have used that rifle for everything I've taken in North America to date.
No. I still have it, 308 Win, $88 bucks NIB but not what I'd want for Cape buffalo or a bunch of stuff I've taken. Lately, it's probably more than I need. LOL
It sure could have been the only rifle, Rem 700 1st year the 700 in 7 Rem. mag came out. Still have it. Cheers NC
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

My first was a 788 in .243, when I was 12. According to the internet, mine was the ONLY one that ever left the factory that wasn't a one-hole, tack-driving suminabitch. 3 or 4 MOA was more like it. Anyway, it killed deer as well as I could shoot it, but I wouldn't have been comfortable going for elk or moose with it.

How about the rest of you? Have you chased the rainbow in rifles &/or cartridges, when your first rifle realistically would have carried you through all your hunting?

FC

Mine could have, but it was damn heavy (approaching 11 pounds all up). It was a heavy barrel (target/bull barrel) sporterized m1917 30-06. It was a true 1/2 moa shooter. The timney was adjusted to 2 pounds and it broke so fn clean it was ridiculous. I packed that sob over hill and dale when I was 12, so I'm pretty sure I could manage now as well. Oh by the way, I don't believe your 788 shot that poorly shocked...Every one I've ever seen shot like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those 788's are shooting sombeeshes!!!
At 14 my first rifle was a new Winchester 94 in 30-30 killed a deer every year until my first gun purchased with my own money. That was a new Ruger Tang Safety 77 in 30-06. With its redfield 3-9x scope it was very accurate right out of the box and that was before I knew you had to properly break in a barrel if you wanted a accurate gun smile
NO..... my first rifle was a piece of crap Remington 7400 in a 30-06. Caliber was fine, but that crappy rifle jammed all the time. I would have been eaten or stomped to death many years ago if I still used it.
The original jam-o-matic.... The rem 742...^^^^^^^^^7400, close enough...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Oh by the way, I don't believe your 788 shot that poorly :o� Those 788's are shooting sombeeshes!!!

Oh, it is a shooting sombeesh, now that Mickey Coleman worked his magic on it. wink

A new Douglas barrel (in 7mm-08) and Mickey's gifted touch has it making groups like this:

[Linked Image]

FC
Oh by the way, I don't believe your 788 shot that poorly :o� Those 788's are shooting sombeeshes!!!

Oh, it is a shooting sombeesh, now that Mickey Coleman worked his magic on it. wink

A new Douglas barrel (in 7mm-08) and Mickey's gifted touch has it making groups like this:

[Linked Image]

FC

Awesome. Now that's what I'm talking about!!
No. It took four to find Mr. Right.

First was a Jap 6.5 redone to Roberts. I did not handload back then.

Next a 600 in 6mm. Gosh awful loud, but a half inch gun, even with 100 grain.

742 Rem. In .30-06. Not accurate or dependable.

BINGO. Browning BAR .30-06. Accuracy solved. Worked good and still does, but as I age it got too heavy for a walk about rig. I still have one for stand or hide hunting.

Should have got a light weight bolt gun an quit, but loonies do not do that.
No, Neither my 1st or 2nd rifle was a good all-around rifle. Just didn't know enough about rifles at that time.
Eventually sold the 1st and traded the 2nd one.
I stiil have the one that I traded that 2nd one for.
Since I've only traded one rifle - Just took awhile learn.
Yes. Ruger MK II stainless/laminate .30-06 Sprg.

Heavy, though.
Have you chased the rainbow in rifles &/or cartridges, when your first rifle realistically would have carried you through all your hunting?
FC

Remington 700 BDL 308 Winchester
Bought it in 1977.
Sold it in 1978.
Bought the exact same gun in 2008.
Now it's my go to meat getter. Never needed anything else but I thought I did.
Yes. Bought her about 12 years ago, and she's still around. Rem 700 BDL in 30-06.

Killed two deer with her last fall, and hopefully an elk this fall.

Dad gave me a 99 in 300 sav. when I was 10. It had an adjustable peep sight that I think was a Lyman. That probably would do for most things and I used it for everything until I went in the army and I gave it to my cousin. I later got a 600 in 308 that was a great do anything rifle.

mike r
Nope. Win 94 in 44 mag. Just too specialized.
Yes, easily. Sako finnbear in 30-06. Still felt the need to own over 30 more after that.
Yep. Pre 64 FWT in .308. Still haven't found a better gun, but not for lack of trying.
No. A Win. Model 94 purchased in about 1970 in 44 mag. for $95. Shot cast bullets made of wheel weights using the Keith bullet mold. Shot a 4 point from my tree stand the first evening with it. Thought I was on a safari and just took down a dagga boy.
Now many dozens later.....I think I might be zeroing in on the right one.
It's all been downhill from my first rifle. A 1957 savage 99F in 300 sav.

At least I still have it.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Very nice! Love those 99F's

I meandered around quite a bit before I tried a .300 Savage, but it fast became one of my favorites.

It took me a while to figure out that rifles I could shoot well, made me look like a good shooter. wink

FC
Yes, a Win. Model 88 in .308 Win. Though I did retire it in the early '80's for my first .375H&H. memtb
Old Adl Rem 700 30-06. Bought it used when I was 11. Still have it, its sitting in the safe next to about 350 handloads waiting for one of my kids to get big enough.
The first rifle I bought on my own was a Ruger 77R in 7X57 because
JOC said I should in his writings at the time. I sold it, missed it, then replaced it with another M-77R in 7X57 and sold it as well.

I could have like most here saved a tons of $$ and just stayed with the rifles I started with but would have never had a much fun doing so.

Doc
My first rifle WAS my "ONE" rifle for 22 years, unless you count the Browning B92 in .44 Mag that Dad gave me early on.

While I hunted deer and elk with the .44 one day every fall for, I never considered it a serious rifle for my style of hunting.

The first rifle was a tang safety Ruger M77 with iron sights, chambered in 7mm RM. It was a good choice then and still would be.

It is, obviously enough, the one on the left. The Ruger #1 is a .280.

[Linked Image]

While the 7mm RM could have been my "ONE" rifle still, I've enjoyed the hell out of playing with others.

Always figured, for example, that a guy with a .30-06 really didn't need anything else. The same was true with the 7mm RM. Now I have the 7mm RM and FOUR .30-06's. Nor sure why but not regretting it one bit, either.
My first rifle was a tang safety Ruger .270 and could easily have been my only rifle for the last 30 years. It also would have saved me years of research, loading, etc. on other calibers.
Originally Posted by 444Matt

Very nice! Love those 99F's

Would you like to hunt with it this fall?

I have some other rifles that I want to bloody but hate to neglect "old faithful".
The original jam-o-matic.... The rem 742...^^^^^^^^^7400, close enough...

my Dad had a 742 that he basically never cleaned. Never jammed once in its history.
I cleaned my 7400 every time I toted it. would literally pull the bullet case apart. had to use a ramrod to push it out.
My first rifle was a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Then I owned 2 Rem. 700's in 308 & 243 and 1 Rem. Sportsman 78 in 30-06. All of those guns are gone, today I hunt with a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.
So to answer the OP's question.... YES!!!!
My first rifle was a Marlin 336 in 44 Magnum. I bought it new with my first few paychecks in 1967. My son still has it and it has dropped a good many deer. It is a great deer rifle for shots less than 100 yards, but anything more and it just isn't suitable.

My next one would have handled anything that has come my way in the last 40 years though. It was an early Browning BLR in 308. It shot good and I hunted with it for several years. It was just kind of ugly with the magazine hanging out the bottom like it did and it was replaced after a few years. A succession of rifles, that didn't meet my expectations in the search for the "grail rifle" either, followed the Browning. I finally realized that if I like the rifle, it doesn't even have to shoot good to make it a keeper.
Yes, Remington 700 in 270 Win. Shot under an inch with factory ammo. Long since gone and have not materially gained any ground since. Have spent a lot of money and now have rifles that shoot .3 inches better. Worthless difference in the field. But I move on to find the next great rifle. I think it is boredom that drives the quest for the better rifle.
The first rifle I bought myself was a Model 88 Winchester in.308 for $130 new, in the box that I put an $18 Bushnel scope on. It now has 2.5-7 old weaver V7 on it. That was back in 1964 and it was the only rifle I had for ten years to hunt big game with. Several, but not many rifles have come and gone since then, but I still have it. There hasn't been one hunt, except muzzle loader hunts, that I have been on and have been successful that the 88 could have done just as well.

Yes. And all the ones that followed it, not counting .22 caliber.

700 ADL in .270 Win. 13 years old , bought new with money primarily made from picking up black walnuts with the help of dad and grandpa.
No,it was a Remington M 600 .243 Win. Killed a few jackrabbits with it.
I must have a need to have affairs with other rifles. I've had more than 20 mostly good ones.

I have only two that I have kept through all the time. They are exceptionally smooth actioned, worn in M70s although they have changed calibers a couple of times each. My favorite right now is a M700 SPS with a Timney trigger assembly.
Yes....it could...but wouldn't be much fun for the "collecting" hobby...hehehe.....a 1963 Win M70 in .270.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Yep. M77 in 25-06.

Travis

Tanger? Iron sights?

Maybe we're destined to be totally BFF.

Travis

Whoa! Slow down there Travis.

It isn't a tang safety but has the 3-position safety.

You're looking a bit needy and clingy with the hope for me to be your BFF. Looks like you missed the part where I said it was spooky you and I had pretty much the exact same first rifle.
Yes, its only real flaw was being a bit heavy:

M70xtr in 7RM with a 3x9 Redfield

FC
Nope.. #3 would have done it... 1st was .22, second was a .222 Rem.. #3 was my M70 in .264WM - and that's the one I grab when it's huntin' time..
My first was "the one" for 25 years--a pre-64 Model 70 Fwt in .30-06. It was used for deer hunting, a few elk hunts and lots of scientific collecting when nothing else was immediately at hand. In 1985, I bought a Ruger 77 in 7mm Mag for a Canadian sheep hunt that didn't pan out. That got me started gun trading and trying other things. In the ensuing 29 years I have traded, bought and shot many other big game rifles, but never, ever thought of letting the old '06 go.

By 1991, the old Model 70 was showing its age and the wounds of war. The factory stock had split once again, so badly that it could no long be repaired. I decided that the rifle needed a face lift and some new pants. It got reblued and a few other cosmetic touches and a new custom stock. It's still in the gun safe and still gets used when I am feeling nostalgic.

[Linked Image]
Yes. Ruger SS/Lam in 338 Win Mag. Dad got it for me for college graduation not knowing where life would take me and wanted to get me something that could hunt anything in NA. He did well I think, especially since he wasn't much versed in rifles.

Now I'm the dad. I recently bought a 357 Mag single shot for the boys to use for deer here in IN, but I've made it clear that it's mine and they get to use it. That said, I will be getting each of them a good all weather rifle chambered in something between 260 and 308. I feel it's my duty to make their first (big game) rifle a potential lifetime rifle.
Nope, mine was a 788 chambered in 22-250.
first - probably not - Marlin 30-30
second - yes - Ruger M77MkII in 7x57
Yep, Ruger M77 MKII .30-06, then a M700 SPS Stainless .30-06. Traded the Remington, just got back the Ruger, but now I am too far into my gun lunacy to stop. crazy laugh

I just got a Ruger American Compact .223, (was very excited btw) then turned around and donated it as a raffle item to a benefit for a very ill friend last weekend, I didn't even shoot it, total lunacy.

I will wait and get a stainless one later.

I'll "scrape" by with my 5 other rifles for now. crazy

Oh definitely I could have stopped at my first (.260 Rem Steyr Forester Safe Bolt) but I got bit hard by the rifle looney bug.

[Linked Image]
My first was an 06, model 54.. My grandfathers..I still have it and shoot it some.. Not much.. I loaded 3 bx. of 150's in 1982.. Still have about 2 bx. loaded.. Shot the rifle for about 10 years at everything.. If it was the only rifle I owned, I would have given up shooting and hunting years ago.. Many rifles keep me interested.. Even if I have never fired my father in laws, .30-06 I like it and probably will use it some in the coming years.. I enjoy rotating though different calibers for different things. Except for some of the very new calibers, I guess I have owned and shot most of the common calibers from .22 Hornet up to the .375 H & H and .45-70..
© 24hourcampfire