Home
Posted By: Fotis Fast twist 223? - 04/29/14
Who makes one?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/29/14
Moosberg just saw the MVP its 1-7 takes AR15 mags, different models. The MVP patrol at least the website says it can be specified in 1-7, 5.56 chamber.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol-mvp-patrol/27755

Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/29/14
Ruger American but the mag box isn't very long and it seems nearly impossible to modify.

Tikka Superlight from Sportsmans Warehouse. Find one close and call about availability. They don't advertise it and won't ship. The mag box is (I think) shorter than the Ruger but can be modified fairly easily compared to the Ruger.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/29/14
BTW I am talking sporters only
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/29/14
BTW the 8 twist Superlite says so on the barrel if you want to confirm when you call.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Ruger American but the mag box isn't very long and it seems nearly impossible to modify.

Tikka Superlight from Sportsmans Warehouse. Find one close and call about availability. They don't advertise it and won't ship. The mag box is (I think) shorter than the Ruger but can be modified fairly easily compared to the Ruger.

Not so. Things are in the works right now. The pic below is a 75 A-Max loads into the lands...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Not so. Things are in the works right now. The pic below is a 75 A-Max loads into the lands...

[Linked Image]

That's very cool. Did you do the mod? I appreciate you posting that but I would love more info.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4799758/Tikka_T3_223_Magazine_Modifica

Very easy modification. The box on my Tikka SL was 2.300 from the factory. Less than an hour later it would feed 75gr AMaxes flawlessly from the mag. SW WILL NOT SHIP to an FFL like Clark says, but if there is a store close, they will do a store transfer.

The Kimber Montanas are 1:9... Another one to think about.
RH,

Cotis is the mold man. He did a few on a 3D printer as prototypes. I'm just his testing media. He has the machinery now and is in the process of getting the mold made. Pretty neat stuff.

The new rear portion of the mag snaps right in and functions flawlessly. He' did a great job!
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
RH,

Cotis is the mold man. He did a few on a 3D printer as prototypes. I'm just his testing media. He has the machinery now and is in the process of getting the mold made. Pretty neat stuff.

The new rear portion of the mag snaps right in and functions flawlessly. He' did a great job!

Please let me-us know when they go to market. As long as the reports of the American 223 keep positive, I would love to own such a cheap versatile rifle. The only thing that bothers me is the action V block . Is there any way to bed or improve fit if not right from the factory? I just haven't looked into it that detailed yet.
I've owned three of the Americans and had no issues with the V block bedding. I actually think it works well. It's like having two lugs to stiffen the action...and the action design is pretty stiff as is.

Pretty neat guns for the money.

Posted By: Fotis Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
OK thank you guys!!!!

Now working backwards. What is the lightest bullet a 1:8 will stabilize in a 223 Rem guys?

[Linked Image]

Has the mag been modified?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
Originally Posted by Fotis
OK thank you guys!!!!

Now working backwards. What is the lightest bullet a 1:8 will stabilize in a 223 Rem guys?

I've shot 35 grain Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tips in mine...

40 grainers are NO problem...
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
OK thank you guys!!!!

I shoot 40 gr. Vmaxes, VG's and BTs all the time. Stabilization isnt the issue. Some bullets might come apart.

Yep. The rear portion of the mag is removable. New pieces were made on a 3d printer permitting much longer COAL. The picture above shows the latest prototype developed by Cotis. Below are some of the first...

[Linked Image]

As far as light bullets go, I really like the 40 grain Varmageddon's from Nosler. These were shot in a 223 American at 200 yards. The rifle likes them..

[Linked Image]
The 40 gr. VGs are da chit!

I haven't seen them for a long time, then I checked shooters on a random whim and bam! Picked up another thousand..
Where can I get those Cotis extensions for the ruger american?
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
The 40 gr. VGs are da chit!

I haven't seen them for a long time, then I checked shooters on a random whim and bam! Picked up another thousand..

As did I. Vermin explodes on impact and they're accurate in everything I've shot 'em in.
Where can I get those Cotis extensions for the ruger american?

He'll have them up and running soon. They'll be posted for sale on here and other places I'm sure. He and I were texting back and forth this weekend and I think he's about to get his mold deal done.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
I have the tikka SL from sportsmans. I haven't shot it too much but have found some loads that went sub 1/2 moa. It doesn't shoot everything that way like I hear about some tikka's but it has shot several loads well. I've gone as light as 50g vmax's and it did very well with those. I see no downside to an 8 twist. I actually think varmints pop a little better with the 8 twist because the bullet is spinning so fast when I comes unglued. My 8 twist 223 AI with a 50g vmax at 3500 really wrecks stuff.

I have 2 8 twist bartlien rem sporter contours on order that'll be here in a month. I'm thinking about making one into a 22-250. The only question is AI or not.

Bb
I'll be glad to take the spare off your hands!
Originally Posted by joshf303

Not in my lifetime, no thanks!

Got bitten twice with that brand.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14

Foti,
what ? 223 ?? Its not a Bee!!!!!!! grin

Sako 85 would be my pick - I have the standard twist in mine - shoot 55 grainers Ok which is all I need.

Costas
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
OK thank you guys!!!!

a 1-7 AR15 chrome lined barrel shoots handloaded 40 grain Hornady bullets fine for me in a 5.56 chamber. Might take you some load development.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
I am very interested! The 1-8 223 American SS compact was one of the guns I was looking at as a new deer rifle.
If one were inclined to use a 223 for deer what would be your choice of bullet?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
50-60ish versions of Barnes bullets.

60 Nosler partion or 63 sierra semi point. No experience with the 64 win.

Have shot quite a few deer/pigs with 69 bthp, and 75 bthp and 75 amax also. Not quite so many with 80 bthp. All the above have been fine also but not my go to choice.
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14

The kids and myself used the 62gr TTSX over a max load of varget this past season to shoot several hogs (a couple in the 200# range), and a couple deer. I couldn't have been happier with the results. Broken shoulders and passthroughs were the norm. I thought I caught one when my 8 year old son shot an 80# shoat at about the last rib on a hard quartering away shot. I could only find one hole, so I started investigating. It took out about 8-10" of spine and exited through an open mouth.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
You can shoot deer with a .223?

Who Knew?

I had heard it was illegal, immoral, and unethical�. grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
I bought a Ruger American Compact in 223 today. No matter what you do it will not feed the last round from the magazine (or if there is only 1 round in, depends on how you look at it).

I spent 3 minutes on the phone with customer service and they are mailing me 2 new magazines. They said there was a problem with earlier magazines.

I've never had a problem with sending stuff with a phone call.

65 gr. SGK
62gr TSX
Got the magazine working, thanks to shortactionsmoker. I little file work and the last round pops out.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
62gr TSX

Think I'm going to try a ttsx of some flavor this year..
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14

Foti
sto kefali and they will drop with anything

I use the plain winchester 55 grain factory loads but when i get enough brass I will load up some 55 grain TTSX's - they should be the mustard !!
Costas
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
Originally Posted by joshf303

Not in my lifetime, no thanks!

Got bitten twice with that brand.

Say it ain't so! Screw me once.....
Posted By: toad Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
yea...heaven forbid...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fast twist 223? - 04/30/14
Originally Posted by toad
yea...heaven forbid...

[Linked Image]

Amazing, looks like groups from a Tikka 223. Ever heard of "Tikka Roulette"?
Posted By: Homesteader Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
shortactionsmoker - 3D printers are not cheap...Do you mind if I ask what it cost? Do you anticipate running these mods as a business? Homesteader.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
It's not mine. Cotis on here has one at work. He's the guy making the part...

I was just his test dummy<grin>
Posted By: Fotis Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
Mine were both shortmags. Both shot like crap. Sent them back and when I received them both still shot like crap but well within Kimber's standards.

I do not want to start a war, nor I am not saying that all Montanas suck, but mine certainly did, so no thanx.

Savage Sako tikka they all shoot well with no BS tinkering. An $1100 rifle should need no tinkering at all.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by DaSakoMan

Foti
sto kefali and they will drop with anything

I use the plain winchester 55 grain factory loads but when i get enough brass I will load up some 55 grain TTSX's - they should be the mustard !!
Costas

Katalava! grin
Posted By: toad Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

no. 'roulette' implies the chance for something of value.
Posted By: deflave Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14

Ever heard of a Green Beret that can't afford a camera?

Laughin' my ass off.

Travis
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
He actually told someone to post a picture yesterday.

Not strong on irony, obviously..
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
I thought TAK was part of the ultra-elite top secret Pink Beret.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by deflave

Ever heard of a Green Beret that can't afford a camera?

Laughin' my ass off.

Travis

That'll take all night for sure.

It tickles me to no end that you montana [bleep] hang on my every post....not really.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
Your life really sucks, doesn't it?
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
If your dead set against a Montana .223, I'd say Tikka T3 Super-Lite, but good luck finding one (or a Montana for that matter).
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
the 62 TSX just about guarantee's an exit even thru a shoulder, I bought a couple of boxes of the 62 TTSX to try them this year. I been hunting deer with a black gun for 4 years now, works well. I am interested in a fast twist bolt myself.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14

65 gr. SGK

^^^ This. Shoots lights out with the same load in all my .223, 7, 8 and 9 twist. Kills deer.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
My 8 twist 223 AI with a 50g vmax at 3500 really wrecks stuff.

Bb

What does .223 AI mean?
Posted By: RevMike Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by ingwe

Who Knew?

Where the heck have you been? Practicing for the upcoming siege on the pig population of Texas?
Posted By: KDK Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/02/14

Who Knew?

Only when done by unethical, immoral old reprobates...
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/02/14
Originally Posted by KDK

Who Knew?

Only when done by unethical, immoral old reprobates...

Only if they are sufficiently witty though.
Posted By: Sportdog Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/03/14

65 gr. SGK
That's good to hear. I just purchased a couple of boxes.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/04/14

My wife uses 55 TTSX
Posted By: geedubya Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/04/14
If one were so inclined........

[Linked Image]

prolly any of the above would kill with proper shot placement and reasonable distance....

Whether the animal was recovered in heavy brush or shot near dark-thirty might be another story.

Best,

GWB
Posted By: deflave Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/04/14

I'll stick my neck way out and guess you don't have a picture of your fast twisted .223?

PM Uterus. He might be keeping it safe for you.

Travis
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/04/14
Originally Posted by deflave

I'll stick my neck way out and guess you don't have a picture of your fast twisted .223?

PM Uterus. He might be keeping it safe for you.

Travis

My Tikka? I sold it. I took a picture of it for the guy I sold it too though. I have an AR with a 1 in 8 Wylde but you'll just have to take my word for it, and GFY while you're at it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/04/14
I don't believe you.

Sorry.

Travis
Posted By: Boxer Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/04/14
Jeezus [bleep],I cain't know which is funnier?!? Fotis or SquatToPee trying to talk rifles. Tough [bleep] call. Laffin'!

Fotis is a "hard charging" Moderator and SquatToPee is a "hard charging" Mall Ninja and they's in an EPIC battle to prove who is the dumber [bleep] and "knows" the least about rifles. Laffin'!

Just got back from gunning a couple/few fast twist .224's,including a 223,223AI and 22-250AI. My OEM Montucky 223 continues to dazzle,with kissin' 75'Max.

You boys just may be onto sumptin',with the Montucky Love.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/06/14
LOL! laugh

I'm not laughing at you just because you are an intellectual lepton, after all, the whole board knows this.
I am simply admiring your persistent dedication to ignorance!

Anyway....I did find one remaining Tikka Superlite in the Cheyenne Wy Sportsman's Warehouse.

Very nice light rifle and $699 out the door.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
Kaloriziko Foti, very nice OPLO!!
Costas
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
Fotis, did Tikka discontinue the 1-8 twisted 223 model?
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
Not Fotis, but yes, tikka assjuked the .223 T3 by putting on a 1-10 barrel. No more 1-8, unless on the superlite, and I was told that wasn't long for the world, either.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
I did not purchase it yet guys. Was just pondering the purchase.

I do thank all of those who provided informative input though!
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
Not Fotis, but yes, tikka assjuked the .223 T3 by putting on a 1-10 barrel. No more 1-8, unless on the superlite, and I was told that wasn't long for the world, either.

Which is why I bought my 223 superlite with a 1 in 8 twist 2 days ago.

Whats crazy is that there are used Tikkas selling for more than what I could buy them for new here right now
I did not purchase it yet guys. Was just pondering the purchase.

I do thank all of those who provided informative input though!

Go get it!
I should
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
I have to say it....

What does the Tikka offer over the Ruger American? The Ruger comes with an 8" twist...the new Tikka is 10" (except for the SL at 8"). A member on this forum (cotis) is about to be in full production with a mag extension.....and it works extremely well. Accuracy is a toss up. I've owned both and have actually been more impressed with accuracy from the RAR.

The RAR is American made.
The RAR is available in a true short action...not one size fits all.
The stainless RAR is approximately $300 less than the stainless Tikka.
The RAR is throated right and I've never seen a Tikka without excessive freebore.

So what gives?

I should

Hurry, I'm 45 min from Cheyenne�.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...B_223_8_Twist_Stainless_Tikk#Post8813284

I'm kidding, I just bought one and don't need another but I would pick it up if you want a 223
I have to say it....

What does the Tikka offer over the Ruger American? The Ruger comes with an 8" twist...the new Tikka is 10" (except for the SL at 8"). A member on this forum (cotis) is about to be in full production with a mag extension.....and it works extremely well. Accuracy is a toss up. I've owned both and have actually been more impressed with accuracy from the RAR.

The RAR is American made.
The RAR is available in a true short action...not one size fits all.
The stainless RAR is approximately $300 less than the stainless Tikka.
The RAR is throated right and I've never seen a Tikka without excessive freebore.

So what gives?

LOL I was pondering the same thing!
Same Sportsman's has a Ruger American 1:8 twist for 335.00
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
The Tikka will shoot. A very good chance the Ruger won't.

Dink
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

Wrong.

Dink

How many Ruger American Rifles have you owned?

Dink

One. It wouldn't feed cartridges from the magazine to the chamber. Ruger could not fix it either. They sent me check back instead of the rifle. I guess in theory it could have shot if one could have gotten a cartridge from the mag to the chamber. I am still betting it wouldn't have shot though.

Dink
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
So you're as full of schit as always. Congratulations, at least you're consistent!
Personally, I'd find a use for both.

An american compact in all stainless will be in my safe as soon as they land..
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So you're as full of schit as always. Congratulations, at least you're consistent!

Ok....

All I own is a marlin model 60 and a partial box of thunderbolts.

Dink

Dink

One. It wouldn't feed cartridges from the magazine to the chamber. Ruger could not fix it either. They sent me check back instead of the rifle. I guess in theory it could have shot if one could have gotten a cartridge from the mag to the chamber. I am still betting it wouldn't have shot though.

Dink

They shoot, period.

And I don't believe the other story about the check, unless that's exactly what you requested. If that's the case, kudo's to their customer service department. They knew when to walk away...
Personally, I'd find a use for both.

An american compact in all stainless will be in my safe as soon as they land..

If the Ruger had been on the market first, would you have ever purchased your Tikka? Just curious....
Yep, got it used for a very good price.

Very close to buying a SL just to put in the back of the safe.

I can easily see the american compact never leaving my truck..
I just purchased the Ruger American in 223. And for the record every single Ruger American I have shot has done well under one inch at 100 yards. Will be scoping it soon and trying some heavier 22 bullets.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
I just purchased the Ruger American in 223. And for the record every single Ruger American I have shot has done well under one inch at 100 yards. Will be scoping it soon and trying some heavier 22 bullets.

Foti,
I thought you purchased the Tikka ,,,,anyway a very good buy in the Ruger American in 223. Should do the job and it will be interesting to see how the heavier bullets go...

Costas
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14

when the SS compact arrives I will buy one. Let us know how you like it!

Dink

Dink

They shoot, period.

And I don't believe the other story about the check, unless that's exactly what you requested. If that's the case, kudo's to their customer service department. They knew when to walk away...

I had a choice of waiting on the next run or a check. I took the check. Customer service was easy to work with. First thought was a bad mag so I sent in my mag and they mailed me a new one that still did not work. Ruger also paid return shipping on the gun. All I had to do was fax them the receipt to get my money back. The gun was bought new at cabelas in Hazlewood, Mo. I tried to get cabelas to trade me guns and they would not do it.

There is a reason these guns are $300ish dollars. They cut every corner they can to make them cheap. I am sure they get the cheapest barrels they can build.

Dink

Thank you fellas I will advise. I like the Tikka a lot, but the ruger was less than 1/2 the price.
Posted By: fats Re: Fast twist 223? - 05/07/14
Those Ruger Americans are really nice for the price!
© 24hourcampfire