Home
Heavier barrel, with rail mount and green stock.

Available in 6.5 Creedmoor!

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html
Neat. Looks like the 308 is threaded.
And a 204! I really like these rifles....
They're all threaded. And there's that .22-250 showing a 1 in 10 twist again.

Has anybody positively, definitely verified that twist or is some website maintenance guy continuing to repeat a typo over and over?
I really wish Ruger would add a higher comb option, such as is available on the rimfire models.
I'll be damned, they are all threaded. Guess I should have read the description. crazy

When they become available, I'll take a SS compact 223 and have it threaded, as I'd have to shorten the Predator barrel anyway, for suppressed truck gun duties.
Me too Billy. I've emailed a few times asking for the same.

FWIW -- the free cheek pad that you receive after completing the warranty info works pretty well. It puts your eye right behind the scope with Talley LW lows..
And here's a write-up on it:

http://www.realguns.com/
I have no use for a stock purse. The stock should have been designed correctly in the first place, as the rifle doesn't have open sights! So why the low comb, and free band aid to fix the problem?

Well....I'll answer my own question. Because it looks sort of tacticool. Also, free accessories, even if they wouldn't be needed had the initial product been designed correctly, appeal to a certain segment of society.
Guess I've been asleep in class.

I just realized all the 223 versions of the American are twisted 1/8.
I have to agree with that statement too...

But I bet we see the rifle available with open sights on the future. That was one of the big questions on the questionnaire just before they announced the RAR.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Guess I've been asleep in class.

I just realized all the 223 versions of the American are twisted 1/8.

Yes you have, but you can't seat VLD's out to take advantage of it, but a Fire member is working on a remedy for the magazine as we speak.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I have to agree with that statement too...

But I bet we see the rifle available with open sights on the future. That was one of the big questions on the questionnaire just before they announced the RAR.

NECG band sweated or epoxied out front. XS low weaver peep on the rear scope base. XS white stripe front blade.
And he's doing a fantastic job!

[Linked Image]
Jim In Idaho - my 1:10 twist RAR .22/250 has been verified by no less than three (3) 'smiths in my presence. Homesteader.
I really like the looks of this one. Especially, a .243 and a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Jeff Quinn just posted a review on his websaite:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-AmericanPredator.htm
Intellesting
They should sell a few of those. That package in the Creedmoor is capable of a lot for the price point.
just noticed that the .308 flavor has an 18" barrel .... hmmm ....
yep, I'm sure of it. I'm gettin the 18" .308.
Ugly is as ugly does, I suppose.
I'm going to have to have one in 6.5 Creedmoor...
Ruger must be listening to their customers! Nice rifle and caliber options on a value priced rifle.
Except for the choked up mag on the .223, they seem to be making good choices in marketing.

Something has obviously gone wrong.
I see one o these in my future. Ugly? A bit, but it's a shooter, I am willing to bet.

Only thing to dee-cide is 308 of 6.5
Lots is very appealing in this package. I can't get excited about the thick grip lines and thick lines one the front/tip of the stock. I've always been more in to function than form, however. May have to try one out. They need to make it in a 7-08 as well, IMO.
I texted the LGS this morning and ordered a 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of fun to be had this summer...I might need a 204 too.
Mmmm.....I like it. No work of art,but gives a guy a chance to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor without dropping a ton of money.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Ugly is as ugly does, I suppose.

I like good looking rifles better than most I suppose, but I really don't find it ugly.

It's utilitarian I suppose, but not ugly.

I think the green stock with the matte blue looks pretty nice.

I like the lines of the rifle, and especially the fact that the magazine isn't hanging down.
I've had one in 223 for a couple of months. Very happy with it, shoots into an 1" with 40 and 50 Vmax and 2230. And, virtually no copper fouling. The magazine does suck somewhat. All in all, not a bad rifle at all for $375 out the door.
I see the Ruger American as an excellent truck gun. If the rifle gets stolen, you're not out much. If it falls out the door and is run over with the horse trailer, oh well. If your dog chews the recoil pad off, epoxy a flip-flop pad on in the general location of the original and the rifle won't look any worse. As long as it shoots, functions, and fits well, the rest sounds ok to me.

I plan on a foam and 100 mph tape comb to get my cheekweld how I like it. If I'm feeling really on the ball, I might try to build a higher comb from fiberglass or epoxy, then sand and paint to match. But probably not.
I like the idea of 10 mil tape and insulite..
Yes, likely a much better choice in tape. Duct tape would get frigging sticky on the face when you forgot the rifle in the pickup all summer, then go to shoot a prairie dog in the 105 degree heat...
We're going to get sammo all excited..
I like the predator model, but (yeah, I'm 'that guy') I think it's ludicrous to offer the 6.5 punkmore and ignore the 7-08.
Ha! Well I feel a little better "rancherizing" a 350 dollar rifle than a new Kimber. Which means if the American 223 works like I hope, my Montana 223 AI might come up for sale....
I can certainly agree with that. I may be in for the short 308 and a 223.....both for hard use and supressor guns that AREN'T semis, like my ARs. I do wish they'd offer that 223 in an 18 tube and lengthen the mag.
Remember guys, I should have the Ruger .223 mag modification ready in a few weeks!
Give ya $400 for it right meow!
They are getting closer. But not close enough to get my wallet out. It'd be a cool rifle for about 5 days, and then collect dust.
I really like the stock the way it is except for the [bleep] warped fore arm ..
Don't have to use high rings on my RAR like I do on my 84M..
I actually like shooting the one I bought for my son, as much as most other stuff I have. I dithered over the flimsy foream before I bought his, but his was straight, and flex a non-issue. You could paint them glitter purple and I'd like them more than a savage. LOL
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I see the Ruger American as an excellent truck gun. If the rifle gets stolen, you're not out much.

If your gun gets stolen outta your truck here, you get charged and convicted, you lose all your guns and are disqualified from ever owning another one!

You'd be out lots in that case.

Pretty archaic views on gun ownership here.
Ruger tries to make a Tikka T3... Where are the Ruger American haters? Man the Tikka T3 sure gets it. To be honest I have handled a few and I am not impressed. Plastic, plastic etc. That seems to the whine about the Tikka. I have not shot one so.. Are they as accurate as a Tikka?
hh4whiskey - "offer the 6.5 punkmore and ignore the 7-08." Pretty much what I wrote in my email to Mike Fiefer thru the Ruger web-site. Like I need to feed another caliber...
Homesteader
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Ruger tries to make a Tikka T3... Where are the Ruger American haters? Man the Tikka T3 sure gets it. To be honest I have handled a few and I am not impressed. Plastic, plastic etc. That seems to the whine about the Tikka. I have not shot one so.. Are they as accurate as a Tikka?

Just as if not more accurate according to a few friends that have shot them a bunch.

Less expensive by a goodly margin than a Tikka, they actually come in SHORT ACTION, something that seems to baffle Tikka.

I'd not take a RAR on a 'serious' hunt, but then I'd not take a Tikka on one either. Yard/play guns, so why drop twice the money on a Long action Tikka with a [bleep] up twist.

Originally Posted by bobnob17
I see the Ruger American as an excellent truck gun. If the rifle gets stolen, you're not out much.

If your gun gets stolen outta your truck here, you get charged and convicted, you lose all your guns and are disqualified from ever owning another one!

You'd be out lots in that case.

Pretty archaic views on gun ownership here.

Billy loves in Montana, not Australia. I'm betting almost every truck in his locale contains at least one gun.
Dang, just when I'd finally quit buying more guns, again!

bobnob17: There's room for one more in West Virginia. Have to bring your own 'roos though.
A few observations, from somebody who actually owns 3 Americans, a .308, .243 and .22 LR:

Somebody commented on the "thick" grip and forend, apparently after looking at the photo. They're pretty slim from side-to-side. The grip is 4-1/2" in circumference, which is smaller than all but a few rifles. In fact, the only rifle in my collection of a few dozen centerfires with a smaller grip circumference is a pre-WWII custom 8x57 that has a typical VERY slim German stock. The forend is 1-1/2" wide at the halfway point, and is VERY slim at the top, so you can actually grasp it rather than have it essentially lying in your hand.

The forends do sometimes contact the supposedly free-floating barrel, but not always. This is common with injection-molded stocks, which tend to warp slightly when removed from the mold. It takes a minute or two with a round rasp the fix the problem.

The magazine for the .243 and .308 and similar cartridges is 2.865" long. In my .243 this is .1" longer than a round with the 95-grain Ballistic Tip jammed into the lands, so there's some room to play with. There's even some play room with Berger Hunting VLD's, and the magazine length works perhaps a little better with the .308.

The .243 (the stainless model) just arrived and I haven't had a chance to shoot it much, but both the .308 and .22 are VERY accurate. A Black Hills target load will average a little over 1/2" for FIVE shots at 100 yards, not just three, and around 2" at 300. The .22 will put the right ammo into 1/2" at 50, again for FIVE shots, not three.

The triggers usually adjust down to 3 pounds, but on some rifles they go a little lower.

Aside from adjusting triggers and rasping any contact points in the forend, mine are out of the box.

Like prairie goat, I wish they'd put the dual butt-stock combs on the centerfire and not just the rimfire models.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Just as if not more accurate according to a few friends that have shot them a bunch.

Less expensive by a goodly margin than a Tikka, they actually come in SHORT ACTION, something that seems to baffle Tikka.

I'd not take a RAR on a 'serious' hunt, but then I'd not take a Tikka on one either. Yard/play guns, so why drop twice the money on a Long action Tikka with a [bleep] up twist.

+1 on every point!

For the most part, Ruger has the twist nailed on their rifles.

If I am not mistaken, Sako did build a short action Tikka, but they called it the Sako A7 and wanted a few hundred more for it than the Tikka.
And they talk about the Savage being an ugly rifle. sick
Yep. Savage invented the ugly rifle.
If Savage is ugly that thing's an abomination. Ugliest rifle I've ever seen.
Then don't [bleep] it.
They'll outsell the Savage 10-to-1 . . . guaranteed.

Most don't share your taste in rifles.
Originally Posted by Kitch
If Savage is ugly that thing's an abomination. Ugliest rifle I�ve ever seen.

Uglier than the TC Evolution?

[Linked Image]

Seriously though, Savage started the ugly revolution with the 1899. Since that point, they haven�t looked back. The Savage Axis hurts my eyes.
Does it come with spare parts? wink
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Like prairie goat, I wish they'd put the dual butt-stock combs on the centerfire and not just the rimfire models.

I'd also like to see a higher comb. The centerfire stock seems perfect for iron sights. And I hate those stock purses. Not a big fan of kydex tacos either. I've used pipe insulation under a length of motorcycle tube (front). Works good but smells like rubber. Bud's son uses mouse pad under one of those elastic cuffs. Both are higher speed and lower drag than those purses grin

Know of any other bubba fixes for too-low-a-comb, John? I guess I could drink more beer and add bacon-ends to my game meat to chub up my cheek?

Jason
You could try Bondo (on the stock, not your cheek).

Putty and paint'll make her what she ain't.
Now if they would just offer the bolt on the correct side...
Originally Posted by Dingmo
Now if they would just offer the bolt on the correct side...

Hoping... In case anyone out there is keeping score.
[/quote]
Know of any other bubba fixes for too-low-a-comb,
[/quote]

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-amp-palm-swells/cheek-eez-prod7404.aspx
There are also RAT Pads, made of a synthetic that when heated up both conforms to the stock, and sticks there until you want to pull it off (www.ratgrips.com). I've used it for handgun grips, tool handles and other stuff, and plan to try it on an American Rifle.

It sticks VERY well, but if you do decide to pull it off there's no residue left on the stock or grips, and the stuff can be reused by reheating. It also comes in various colors, including several varieties of camo, that are molded right into the material.
Whoooaaaa....those RAT pads are neat stuff! Ok, buying an American and using RAT pads to fix the cheekweld.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They're all threaded. And there's that .22-250 showing a 1 in 10 twist again.

Love it when companies learn what the market wants.
The 1-10 is still a bastard twist. If they can do the 223 in 1-8 they can do the 22/250
Agreed....
Mule Deer "There are also RAT Pads..." John, you are a veritable fountain of useful information. Homesteader
I'm in on the 6.5 Creedmore!
I see the Ruger American as an excellent truck gun. If the rifle gets stolen, you're not out much. If it falls out the door and is run over with the horse trailer, oh well. If your dog chews the recoil pad off, epoxy a flip-flop pad on in the general location of the original and the rifle won't look any worse. As long as it shoots, functions, and fits well, the rest sounds ok to me.

I plan on a foam and 100 mph tape comb to get my cheekweld how I like it. If I'm feeling really on the ball, I might try to build a higher comb from fiberglass or epoxy, then sand and paint to match. But probably not.
heck just use the other flip flop for the cheek piece,no sense in spending too much.hehehehe
Originally Posted by Kitch
And they talk about the Savage being an ugly rifle. sick
i hear that,ya ever see a blaser?deer gosh those are fugly,buttugly
My son wants this rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't find it to be ugly. Now the TC Dimension, thats bad ugly.
Just brought my son's RAR stainless compact home in 223. He'll be a happy camper later tonight...
The "ugly" comments about the RAR are, although not surpising here on the 'fire, even less comprehensible to me than the critique of other modern rifles.

The RAR is no heirloom. It was not built (and is not priced) to be an heirloom, unlike the Ruger #1 and many of the 77 and 77II variants. It is not a rifle to be lovingly oiled and placed in a fine mahogany and glass case, or transported in a case lined with rich Corinthian leather grin

The RAR is an inexpensive bullet delivery device. Buy, shoot. Buy, shoot. When the barrel goes, buy another rifle. If you get bored, sell it and buy another. You'll lose less than the price of two boxes of premium factory ammo and you'll have had some trigger time behind an accurate bullet delivery device.

If the RAR gets more people fired up about shooting accurate rifles (and the RAR's are that, ugly or otherwise) then I could care less what they look like.
The "ugly" comments about the RAR are, although not surpising here on the 'fire

I think the comments ARE surprising, since the rule of thumb on the fire is to accept any aesthetics as long as the accuracy is good.

I think they are coming from two groups:
- The Savage shooters that want to convince themselves they no longer have the ugliest rifle available
- The Tikka shooters who don't like the fact that you can have the same accuracy for $200-300 less, and a short action cartridge in a SHORT ACTION
If they decide to make the Predator in stainless I will own one in 6.5 Creedmoor.
its all in what your looking for, for me an accurate, affordable, dependable rifle is why i will purchase a predator. that way i will not be upset when i scratch and ding it. i own a few No.1s and i think that they are attractive, but i live in fear when i take them to camp and people fondle them and want to shoot them.its not the case with my American, and wont be with my Predator. plus, i love the look on peoples faces when you tell them that its a Ruger, and with decent glass it is still under $500.
My boy told me the 6.5 Creedmoor Predator has something like a 1:8 twist. Is that too fast for the 120 Ballistic tip?
Seriously? No
Screw in barrel, glock trigger, ugly, probably accurate... when did Rugers start making SAvages? Following Marlin's lead I guess.
They heard how accurate Savage's Predator Hunter was and decided to adopt the name hoping it would shoot as good. Sort of like a S&W Python.
Just left the LGS. They couldn't find any in stock anywhere, but they've ordered a few. They're going to sell them for $359.99....
That T/C Dimension makes Savages, Rugers and even Mossbergs look halfway decent. I'm not sure ANYthing could make a Remington 710/770/783 look good in comparison, though.
If they'd only offer them in .223 AI with that 8 twist barrel they'd have a real deer rifle.
© 24hourcampfire