Home
Posted By: Shooter71 Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
Anybody else get called about a possible bolt problem?
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
Who is your source? What is the issue?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
No. My rifle was built in 02-03.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/safety
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
Kimber called me today, said possible problem with the bolt which may cause a discharge. I have a few hundred through that particular rifle with no problems and am not particularly interested in sending it anywhere. Just wondering if anybody had heard anything.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
Curious how they were able to contact you. But if they are being honest, maybe there was a short term change in QC or the specs of some parts that went out were not caught in time.
I'm curious as to what they mean by a "possible problem"? Its either a problem or not. Considering the expense of a injury/death claim, they better be working overtime to get this nailed down.

Nothing on their website at this time.

Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
The link above provides a Little info.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
Thanks for the heads up.

I went and checked mine serial number using the link AB2506 provided.

Lucked out and missed the recall by a couple thousand numbers.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
I missed the recall as well....
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
WTF are they hiring Remington engineers now?
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
Dammit! My 7mm-08 will be heading back to Yonkers next week...

David
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/17/14
Hopefully the 84Ls will not be affected, though they are pretty similar. No mention of them so far

Craig
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
At least it looks like they have this problem identified and are aggressively getting things in order before something bad happens.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thanks for the heads up.

I went and checked mine serial number using the link AB2506 provided.

Lucked out and missed the recall by a couple thousand numbers.

Me to, mines KM32...., thanks for the safety hit and links Gents.

Gunner
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
I examined mine and the only "maybe" is the contact patch between trigger and cocking piece on the bolt. It's a little thinner than other rifles but looks fine. It's still impossible to fire with the safety engaged. Kimber rep couldn't/wouldn't tell me exact details and I'm still on the fence about sending it. I've bedded, polished, smoothed out and generally loved on it and it's shooting consistently. When I received it the first time the barrel had punched through the corner of the box. I mentioned that and he had never seen that before...
Posted By: sns2 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
The recall affects ONLY 84M models with stainless receivers built in late 2013. This is not a sweeping recall.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Curious how they were able to contact you.

My first thought was warranty registration, but that's not so in my case.

I got a text from the LGS telling me that Kimber would be in contact with me. They traced the serial number to the dealer and the deal sourced the buyer for Kimber.

I'm not real crazy about this....and it's not like the LGS is a tiny mom and pop. They sell THOUSANDS of guns each year. I'm going to ask them tomorrow how they found it so quick. They know I'm a big Kimber fan, but still??
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Same thing here.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Mine's not on the list , thank goodness.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
When they sold you the rifle, they logged your info into their book entry for that gun. Standard procedure. The info stays with the seller unless the BATF grabs their books for some reason. I believe Kimber sells directly to their dealers, so it would be easy to find the transaction if they knew the approximate date the rifle was shipped.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Dude, PLEASE find another photo for you signature line. That thing is uber creepy.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Looks like Kimber has bitten me on the ass before I ever fired it. I may return the bolt but nothing more until Kimber releases more info..

Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Think I'll buy a lotto ticket today as it's not often I'm this lucky!

None of mine are involved and only one even close.

Well, my 700 Ti had a dicked up trigger and now my Montana has a dicked up bolt.

I think Kimber needs to be a little more forthright with the cause of the problem.. otherwise it's just BS.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
I'll have to check mine. Was about to send it to Pac-nor for rebarreling smile

Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Looks like my Ascent has the infection!
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
Originally Posted by GeoW
Looks like Kimber has bitten me on the ass before I ever fired it. I may return the bolt but nothing more until Kimber releases more info..

Thanks for the heads up.

Well, my 700 Ti had a dicked up trigger and now my Montana has a dicked up bolt.

I think Kimber needs to be a little more forthright with the cause of the problem.. otherwise it's just BS.

If you're going to be a dick and just send them the bolt until they reveal all to you, you sound like you truly like getting dicked as I'm sure that sending the bolt only versus their directions to resolve the problem will do nothing but slow the entire process down. You bought a rifle and not a seat on the Board of Directors.

Any recall costs a company in money and in reputation. And along with that they then have to deal with a few overly-important dicks who are involved in the situation. A real win win for Kimber.

I bet they're doing this just so they can dick you, you sly guy, you. They know what you want.

What has it got to do with a cum guzzling gutterslut like you?
Posted By: pak Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/18/14
I dodged the bullet mine is 388XX. Whew!!
What has it got to do with a cum guzzling gutterslut like you?

You are an amazing individual. Not knowing you personally has severely limited my life. Its easy to see.

Because I'm not special, I'm sending them the entire rifle like they requested. I'm just a "cum guzzling gutterslut" who doesn't deserve better.

Friggin' amazing..............
Originally Posted by BayouRover

I'm just a "cum guzzling gutterslut" who doesn't deserve better.

Agree..
Originally Posted by BayouRover

I'm just a "cum guzzling gutterslut" who doesn't deserve better.

Agree..

I was just repeating what you said because I'm sure that you've always been the biggest and toughest little kid in your class. Obviously not the smartest, but I'm sure that that fact probably escapes your limited view of yourself.

Carry on Einstein.
grin
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/19/14
All joking aside, the Remington trigger was only a blob of sealant over the adjustment screws, easily fixed by the owner or his smith. That's the reason that I was so adamant about knowing what the problem actually is, either for me to fix it or for me to have my smith take care of it.

Geo
Mine is on the list. Calling tomorrow to see if I can just drive it down and get a quick turn around. I hope so.
Posted By: natman Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/20/14
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
WTF are they hiring Remington engineers now?

Well they certainly aren't hiring Remington managers or they'd cover it up for 60 years instead of issuing a recall.
Called Kimber today. The guy I talked to would not specify the problem. I am sure it is to cover their azz. If they were to tell people they would fix it them self or have a local GS do it. Which might work but would not always relieve kimber of liability.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/20/14
I got a call and an email. I asked what was the issue and the fix but I doubt I will get a response. Mine shoots great so I do not want it messed with if I do not have to. I sent my XDS in and it is not as good as before the recall. I work in manufacturing so I know sometimes a company's fix is good for the lawyers and the company but not always for the customer.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/21/14
I followed the link and it talks about a Kimber Solo pistol recall, nothing about Montanas.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/21/14
Now, I wonder where the list went? And the recall notice?
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/21/14
Just checked myself. Notice is gone without an explanation.
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/21/14
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I followed the link and it talks about a Kimber Solo pistol recall, nothing about Montanas.

Just this AM here in Korea it did.
Posted By: KR13 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/21/14
I got the call and an e-mail yesterday. One thing I noticed is that in the e-mail it stated that if there were any modifications done to the rifle they are required to return everything to factory specs.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/21/14
Now, I wonder where the list went? And the recall notice?

Maybe they've contacted everyone who bought one? That would explain their "aggressive" response in that contacting everyone would allow them to take that red flag down off their website.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/22/14
Has anyone figured out if this is a fitting problem or a machining issue that didn't get discovered? A combination of the two?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/23/14
The recall notice is back up on the Kimber site. It is for 1,814 rifles.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/23/14
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Has anyone figured out if this is a fitting problem or a machining issue that didn't get discovered? A combination of the two?

I spoke with the Kimber Manufacturing manager and was told it is a small number of rifles that have an over-sized rear hole that can cause just enough to slop for an accident. They chose to do a complete recall to find the ones that "May" have the issue. They are sending me waiver paperwork or I am not sending mine. Anyways, he was very polite and helpful.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/23/14
waiver paperwork?

David
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/23/14
Rear hole?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/24/14
Rear receiver ring...

Time to get out the calipers and compare some inside diameters.

Waiver??

Geo
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/24/14
Rear receiver ring...

Time to get out the calipers and compare some inside diameters.

Waiver??

Geo

The "legal department' must be burning the midnight oil.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/24/14
.013" difference on mine between bolt body and id of rear ring. Some other bolts ranged from 8 to 16 thou.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/26/14
Waiver since I decided not to send mine in. It ended up just being a note stating the issue and how to send it in. Sorry I was in a hurry when typing. Very nice folks that I spoke with for what it is worth.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kimber 84M recall - 06/26/14
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Dude, PLEASE find another photo for you signature line. That thing is uber creepy.[Linked Image] Like this one better.

Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/09/14
Any updates on this? Anybody send one in?
I sent mine in. Waiting to get it back now.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/09/14
Didn't send mine. Story was not convincing enough and made no sense. I still may, depends on how long yours takes wink

If Kimber would be kind enough to give me a location to measure, I would gladly measure for them.

Waited years to play Kimber roulette, and lost..

Geo
Send it to me. I will get it working one way or another.
It's unfired so I doubt much if anything is wrong with it. According to Kimber, none have been found to be out of spec.
Just a PITA for Kimber to pull this sort of schit.

Also had a Rem 700 Ti that rung the damned recall bell.

I feel snake bit.

Geo
Yeah they told me the same but I don't believe it. I sent mine in two weeks ago. If it was a simple measure and mail back I would have my rifle back by now.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/09/14
They have had my rifle almost 2 weeks. The Kimber rep I spoke with said the rifles were being handled just like any other warranty return - typical turn around time of 5-6 weeks.

David
The high priority was to get you to return your rifle, not to return it to you...

Fook 'em.
I just got my return UPS shipping tracking number!
GeoW what caliber is your Montana?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/10/14
Mine is 7mm-08. I could live with some of that two week +/- stuff.
mine too. I was going to make you an offer.
If mine would come back as quick as yours, I wouldn't hesitate as much to send it in. I have the prepaid labels from Kimber to slap on the box and give UPS a call to pick it up.
Do it. Two weeks isn't bad plus there was a holiday in there.
Sounds like a plan to me..
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/12/14
I just measured an 8400 in .300wsm. The difference between rear ring and bolt body was .0075, almost half the clearance of my 84m. It had noticeably less slop. I still haven't decided what to do. It shoots great but it's bugging me. It also has a pretty good scratch in the chamber about 3/8" up from the head of the case which leaves a ridge in the brass, making extraction not as slick. The tube has about 450 through it and I thought about trying to get them to replace it at the same time, but it's a gamble.
On the bright side, that clearance might explain the amazing trigger pull.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/12/14
Dropped mine off at UPS today.. Now the wait is on.
GeoW got mine back the other day. They test fired it (5 shots) and sent it back dirty. I also just noticed that the forward trigger guard screw is stripped. Not sure if they did it or was like that when I got it from the guy I bought it from. I am going to e-mail them and see if they will send me a new screw.

Last night I took .060 off the mag box, so now it is good to go. The barrel channel is in need of work next. the very end of the forearm is hitting hard on the barrel.

The front action screw was cut (by who I don't know) but I measured everything up and it still needs about .080 taken off. So I will try to get these things taken care of tonight.

When I get a chance I am going to make up some Ti action screws to the correct lengths. Thinking that will be a winter project. If it is a long cold winter again I might ever make a Ti trigger guard.

I bet you have yours back in about two weeks.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/12/14
It's good to know your rifle is safe as far as a defect is concerned. That won't be weighing on your mind.
I will let you know when mine gets back and how it turns out.

If you get into making Ti screws and trigger guards, put my name on a set smile

Geo
Creek hunter was it the same bolt body? Curious if they're actually tightening things up or merely making sure it can't trip.
Same bolt body. Paperwork says: "Your firearm has been inspected and evaluated for the 84M Rifle Bolt Function Recall and no problems were found.

Your rifle was test fired with the following ammo after initial safety and function tests and inspections were performed:
5RNDS WINCHESTER 7MM-08 REM 140GR

The following complimentary services were performed:
Complete gun check
* Round cycling checked
* Safety function checked
Inspected by QC

Thank you for your patience."
Could you mic the bolt body for me?
sure give me a minute.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/25/14
Got email today, said my rifle should be back here on Tuesday the 29th. Will let you know the results when I find out.

Geo
See that wasn't so bad.
Oh yeah and Happy Birthday
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 07/29/14
Thanks! wink

Got the Montana back today. Report said all was fine. Said they fired it five times but I see no sign of firing other than the hang tag being removed..

Just wondered if Kimber marked the recalled rifles after inspection in any place for future reference or as to identify that it had been checked out?

Geo
Posted By: GeoW Re: Kimber 84M recall - 02/11/15
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Oh yeah and Happy Birthday

Likewise wink

Geo
© 24hourcampfire