Home
Posted By: Landkiller Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14
I have a chance to buy a Browning 7mm Rem Mag with the boss. Who hunts with one? Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have no experience with this system at all. Thanks!
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14
I will firmly be in the minority here, but I really like mine. The BOSS reduces recoil quite a bit and tunes to the load you want to shoot, exactly as advertised. Mine will shoot an honest 1/2" with factory ammo (it really likes Core-Lokt; go figure). The down side, of course, is the noise. They are LOUD.

Mine is a .300 Win Mag in an A-bolt Stainless Stalker.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14
Forgot to add that I've hunted this rifle for more than a decade with absolutely zero issues. 99% of that hunting is Missouri whitetails, so it's not exactly what I'd call strenuous conditions for a rifle. Just the same, that rifle has never let me down.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14
Landkiller,

I have a LH 7-08 Browning with the BOSS, and do not like it at all. Of course the 7-08 does not have the kind of recoil a 300 Win Mad would have, but the painful noise of firing it without hearing protection was a no-go for me.

I contacted Browning about it, and they sent me a BOSS that did not have any openings in it, so I could still tune it up, and not get my ears blown off. It is not very attractive(looks like a garden hose nozzle)and it does work somewhat, but I have a number of rifles without it that are more accurate.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

Steve
Posted By: GRF Re: Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14
I had one in 7 rem mag, switched to the none ported version. Works as advertised but tended to make you a one load shooter, not a problem if you are happy with that. They are rather un attractive in mt opinion.

I have since sold the rifle.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14
They work, but as stated above, any time you change loads you have to retune to some degree. Most of the time when folks say they don't work it's because they've never bothered attempting to tune in a systematic way in accordance with the directions.

John
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14
It is a great system. Use the vented end with plugs and muffs to work up loads. Use the unvented one for hunting. It does not make you a one load shooter unless you can't write down the settings for various loads and reset the BOSS if you change loads.

A 7 mag is not really a rifle you'll be changing loads in anyway. Put a premium 140 gr bullet in it, work up a load and you're set for anything from Antelope to to a typical Grizzly (600 pounds). Load development is as obsolete as a Model T. A 140 TSX in front of a lot of 4831SSC ignited by a magnum primer will shoot 1" 3 shot groups all day and kill anything you point it at.

The BOSS is a prime example of the engineers being ahead of the shooters. We have an early 30-06 BOSS BAR in the family that will shoot 3 of anything from 110 gr chuck busters to 220 gr Hornadys into 1" or less. "Load development" consisted of finding the powder that gave the highest velocity through or Chrony and then tuning the BOSS for accuracy.

I had two late New Haven Winchester Model 70s in 270 WCF. They were twins but one has a BOSS. The "naked one" was a one load gun. 130 gr Accubond and 59.5 4831. The BOSS one will shoot anything. Guess which one went down the road ?

Snap it up as they stopped making them.
Originally Posted by foxtrot100
It is a great system. Use the vented end with plugs and muffs to work up loads. Use the unvented one for hunting. It does not make you a one load shooter unless you can't write down the settings for various loads and reset the BOSS if you change loads.

A 7 mag is not really a rifle you'll be changing loads in anyway. Put a premium 140 gr bullet in it, work up a load and you're set for anything from Antelope to to a typical Grizzly (600 pounds). Load development is as obsolete as a Model T. A 140 TSX in front of a lot of 4831SSC ignited by a magnum primer will shoot 1" 3 shot groups all day and kill anything you point it at.

The BOSS is a prime example of the engineers being ahead of the shooters. We have an early 30-06 BOSS BAR in the family that will shoot 3 of anything from 110 gr chuck busters to 220 gr Hornadys into 1" or less. "Load development" consisted of finding the powder that gave the highest velocity through or Chrony and then tuning the BOSS for accuracy.

I had two late New Haven Winchester Model 70s in 270 WCF. They were twins but one has a BOSS. The "naked one" was a one load gun. 130 gr Accubond and 59.5 4831. The BOSS one will shoot anything. Guess which one went down the road ?

Hey, LARRY, what kind of made-up bullshit game are you running today? How many identities have you burned through on 24HCF so far? Are you hiding behind your old lady's skirt? Or are you just pretending to be an old lady?
I have the Browning 30-06 SS Stalker with the Boss and it has grouped every load i have tried under a inch. I switched out from the Boss Muzzle Brake to the CR and the groups never changed .

[Linked Image]

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Browning Boss ? - 07/27/14

My Winchester Super Grade .270 (without the BOSS) will shot any grain (130,140,150 and 160 Np's) bullet I want into an 1" +/-. Bought it in late 1991 early 1992.
Yeah,I know.

Rather poorly,I was trying to get him into an argument.

And yes,my SG .270 will shoot those bullets very well. smile
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

My Winchester Super Grade .270 (without the BOSS) will shot any grain (130,140,150 and 160 Np's) bullet I want into an 1" +/-. Bought it in late 1991 early 1992.
Yours will, Larry's won't. You have an actual rifle, while Larry and the voices in his head -- referenced as "we" -- have only an imagination.

BS, I'm Larry Root, and I don't own no boss. GFY
Posted By: Bricktop LARRY ROOT DOESN'T OWN ONE... - 07/27/14
You are wise. I've been in the sun too long this weekend. I'll see where Larry goes.
My brother and his wife have matching Browning A-bolts in 280 with BOSS. He loves it. She doesn't know any better. I can attest that it works quite well. I've seen him tune his to 1/2" groups with several different loads, and hers to 1/4" groups with her two preferred bullets: 150 Partitions and Sciroccos. Pretty slick deal, and the factory setting works well for a starting place or a leave-it-there. They are loud, as both have the ported BOSS. His one gripe: the bbl is about 21" long under the BOSS, and gives closer to 7-08 than 280 ballistics.
I worked with family and friend's rifles in (2) BAR 7 Mags, (1)270, and (2) 30/06, and one Browing A Bolt in 7 Mag that all had BOSS's on them.

I dialed in these rifles to shoot 1/2" or less, every one of them.

If you don't like the ports, then use the CRS unit with no holes in it like others have said.
I have one in a 338 Win Mag. I brought a CR Boss (one without the holes). Have not hunted with that rifle since so I have not shot it with the new Boss system.
Yup it's a shame they were not sold originally with both vented and non vented end supplied, with explicit instructions how to use each.
Even have a Supertune (http://timeprecision.us/SUPERTUNE_LITERATURE.html) on my 7x57 Ruger #1 that now shoots anything 5 at a time in sub moa groups.
Yup it's a shame they were not sold originally with both vented and non vented end supplied, with explicit instructions how to use each.
Even have a Supertune (http://timeprecision.us/SUPERTUNE_LITERATURE.html) on my 7x57 Ruger #1 that now shoots anything 5 at a time in sub moa groups.

Sure would like to see a picture of your set up.
I have a Browning A Bolt Eclipse with the BOSS system, and I like the CR (conventional recoil) mode. It is normal loud on my 300 mag, and it tunes the rounds well. The ported model does as well, but it is loud . . . . too loud for hunting situations.
Posted By: Bricktop LARRY-F*CKING-ROOT!!!!! - 07/28/14
You don't own any Ruger No.1, dickhead. As with most things, you've poached a picture from the internet and fabricated a story.
visited Larry Root's house in the dead of winter when there was three feet of snow on the ground. He somehow entered Larry's house bypassing the whole house security system and video cameras.
He then somehow opened the very high tech gun safes, bypassing more alarms, took out each gun from its case and determined that none were Rugers of any type. He then left the house, leaving no footprints coming or going and returned to his home in Edmond where he enjoyed a good cup of Philippine coffee.

He is so amazing everyone is in awe of his skills.
Posted By: Bricktop LARRY-BITCH-ASS-ROOT!!!!! - 07/28/14
visited Larry Root's house in the dead of winter when there was three feet of snow on the ground. He somehow entered Larry's house bypassing the whole house security system and video cameras.
He then somehow opened the very high tech gun safes, bypassing more alarms, took out each gun from its case and determined that none were Rugers of any type. He then left the house, leaving no footprints coming or going and returned to his home in Edmond where he enjoyed a good cup of Philippine coffee.

He is so amazing everyone is in awe of his skills.
All I have to do is yell "BOO" and you'll start pissing on yourself, calling the cops, puckering your assh0le, and frothing at the mouth. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6269314/Bricktop#Post6269314

There's just not a lot of tricks left in whatever bag you thought you had.
Posted By: micky Re: LARRY-BITCH-ASS-ROOT!!!!! - 07/28/14
well that was a read.

didn't realize multiple personality disorder had a poster child.
© 24hourcampfire