Home
Posted By: rick35 rem 700 question - 07/29/14
Found a 700 at Gander Mountain. .300 wby mag. Trying to identify it. S-prefix. Caliber stamp is rather small and closer to the reciever than normal. "REP" in oval on right side of barrel, "99" just in front of it. None of the usual Remington Arms, Ilion, NY stuff on the barrel. Non-checkered green synthetic stock, factory pad. Matte blue, jeweled bolt. Any ideas? Thanks, Rick.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: rem 700 question - 07/29/14
The "REP" is their normal proof mark and stands for "Remington English Proof". Not sure about the "99".

I'm on the road so I don't have my references with me but I believe the "S" prefix was simply a series of serial numbers...I don't remember what years it was used.

With the caliber markings being smaller than normal and close to the receiver, it's POSSIBLE that it came from the Custom Shop. Those that I have from the Custom Shop are stamped with a smaller font, closer to the receiver than normal and they also don't have the other standard markings.

Most of mine also have a stamp that looks sort of like a side view of a diamond (as in a round cut diamond from a ring) next to the caliber stamp.

Posted By: DocEd Re: rem 700 question - 07/29/14
The "S" prefix usually denotes stainless action. If is black or, blue, it could have been coated.
Posted By: GeoW Re: rem 700 question - 07/30/14
The omission of Remington Arms, Ilion, NY from the barrel sounds like a 700 KS or Custom Shop rifle. What stock does it have? Oooops, went back and saw it had a green syn stock. Could be a KS.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: rem 700 question - 07/30/14
Sounds KS to me. How much were they asking?
Posted By: las Re: rem 700 question - 07/31/14
Originally Posted by DocEd
The "S" prefix usually denotes stainless action. If is black or, blue, it could have been coated.

Stainless steel can be blued. Some of the old 721s were.
Posted By: rick35 Re: rem 700 question - 07/31/14
Stock needs repainted. They want $649 for it.
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: rem 700 question - 07/31/14
super deal buy it..
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: rem 700 question - 07/31/14
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
super deal buy it..

and snap some pics!
Posted By: rick35 Re: rem 700 question - 08/01/14
Bought it. Pick it up in 2 weeks, when work returns me to Wichita. Wonk on the pics then.
© 24hourcampfire