Home
Posted By: Bobcape New rifle ... - 08/07/14
I got a new Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 two weeks ago. Like I would with any new rifle, I checked fit, bedding, screws, etc. I got some great tips from Shortactionsmoker. Thanks SAS. I had a short delay because Scheels ordered rings for an 8400. I got the few tweaks done and mounted the scope in short order.

What a sweet rifle! It handles and points extremely well. I'm digging the light weight. I am learning that the light weight makes it a bit more of a challenge for me to shoot well. I have a whole list of excuses -
It's really light weight.
It has a rounded stock.
I don't shoot from a bench. Prone from a pack or bipod.
My bipods don't fit the stock very well.
It's been hot.
It's been windy.
It's been rainy.
Basically I suck at shooting groups. Much rather ring steel.

Even with all those excuses, I'm very happy at how easy it is to make hits with it. I got it zeroed at 200 yards with 162 SSTs grouping about 1.5" if I don't screw it up. Best powders so far seem to be RL15 and H414.

I got my load info for the 162 SSTs entered into Ballistic on my phone and shot some steel at 445, 583 and 708 yards. Got mostly hits. A few misses at 708. Pretty sure I'm going to use this for cow elk this fall.

I ended up having the afternoon off today. I took the Montana and a .260AI out. It was raining pretty good the entire time but I sure enjoy shooting this little Montana.

[Linked Image]

Hope it doesn't melt. [Linked Image]

Got this one wet too.
[Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
Great looking rifle!
Posted By: woods_walker Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
I have one in the same caliber (7mm08) and a .223. Working through the same stuff and have used the same consultant.

I am really enjoying these rifles.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
I think I'm going to need to get another one in .223. I hate it.

Bob
Posted By: cal74 Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
Originally Posted by Bobcape

Bob

After I got my first Montana (280ai) I needed a .223 Montana as well to keep in company wink

What unit is your cow tag? I'll be headed that way myself with a cow tag come Oct.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
Nice rifle. Nice truck.

David
Posted By: efw Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
7-08 missing at 708? Interdasting!

Awesome rifle Bob. Looks like you got yerself a keeper! This has been on my short list for quite a while... Very nice!

Speedgoats?

Me and my dawgs are staying in Gillette for 3 nights starting on Sunday the 5th. Definitely be through Hill City; filet mignon has been a big topic of conversation since you and I took Samuel out for his first!
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
nice Taco!
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by Bobcape

Bob

After I got my first Montana (280ai) I needed a .223 Montana as well to keep in company wink

What unit is your cow tag? I'll be headed that way myself with a cow tag come Oct.

WY 116. Nice long season and a fairly short drive for me. Looking forward to it!

Bob
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Nice rifle. Nice truck.

David

Originally Posted by n8dawg6
nice Taco!

Thanks guys. I really like the taco. It's a DCLB.

Bob
Originally Posted by efw
7-08 missing at 708? Interdasting!

Awesome rifle Bob. Looks like you got yerself a keeper! This has been on my short list for quite a while... Very nice!

Speedgoats?

Me and my dawgs are staying in Gillette for 3 nights starting on Sunday the 5th. Definitely be through Hill City; filet mignon has been a big topic of conversation since you and I took Samuel out for his first!

Haha Eric. I didn't think about the 7-08 708 coincidence until you mentioned it. We'll definitely hit the Alpine for a cheap filet. Looking forward to catching up with you and Samuel. We'll see if we can get Ryan to meet us.

Bob
Posted By: Scotty Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
nice rifle.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
Nice rifle. What is on your barrel?
Posted By: CLB Re: New rifle ... - 08/07/14
Bob,

how do you like that chrono unit? Do you get consistent results?
That's the Magnetospeed chronograph. I love it. It has never missed a shot. It is not dependent on light. It records the chrono stats to an SD card. When I get home I import it into Excel.

Some people feel it can, or does, change POI. I have not had much of an issue with this. The bayonet piece is carbon fiber and very light. However this Montana is the first light weight / slim profile barrel I have used it on. I was able to dial elevation from my 200 yard zero and get hits at distance with it on the barrel. (Probably just got lucky. laugh ) It works great for my needs. Also works on a suppressor. The down side is that you can't use it with a semi-auto pistol, most revolvers or archery / crossbows, etc. It has to attach to the barrel and get positioned in front of the muzzle. It reads the magnetic pulse of metal passing over the sensors.

Bob
Posted By: Bobcape Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
I got out to shoot my Montana this afternoon. I am really liking it. I've narrowed it down to H414 or RL15 powders. It seems to like the H414 better. SD of 8 today. I'm not much of a group shooter. This is the first time I've shot it from a bench. Temperature was 93 degrees. Very little wind. These were at 200 yards. Both groups were shot with the Magnetospeed attached to the barrel.

139gr SST 41.7gr RL15 SD = 23 2748fps
[Linked Image]

139gr SST 46.0gr H414 SD = 8 2804fps
[Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
"Hey I got a new rifle! Yeah, it's a 7-08." What a surprise. A Montucky? Who would have thought? It shoots well and you like it? It will kill stuff well? All of this stuff is far too common here.

7mm-08: the 30-06 that the 30-06 could have been. Congratulations on the new promising gun. I don't mean to piss on your parade, but it is like somebody pointing to a Victoria's Secret catalog and telling me that there are attractive women pictured inside.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
OK. Thanks for pointing out my blunder.

Bob
Posted By: Mike_S Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
Bob nice rifle. Like the chronograph.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
Light barrels don't shoot..............
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
"Hey I got a new rifle! Yeah, it's a 7-08." What a surprise. A Montucky? Who would have thought? It shoots well and you like it? It will kill stuff well? All of this stuff is far too common here.

7mm-08: the 30-06 that the 30-06 could have been. Congratulations on the new promising gun. I don't mean to piss on your parade, but it is like somebody pointing to a Victoria's Secret catalog and telling me that there are attractive women pictured inside.

Really? You are dumping on a guy for talking about his new rifle on a rifle forum?
R-H it is worse than that. At least he didn't buy a 30-06 or .270. Their are self anointed "experts" here only to willing to share their extensive knowledge on the rifled bore. To include but not limited to, mounting systems, action length, scope manufacture, etc. We are indeed blessed to have these experts around to point out all the things wrong with our rifles. And you don't even have to ask, just post a pic and maybe a target or two. Full service. I guess this forum really should be labeled hunting rifle. And if it don't look like some kind of sniper rifle, crew served, with all the accoutrements your made fun of.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
Tongue in cheek gets lost in writing.

I was actually saying that the guy made smart choices and it turned out well, and that is is no surprise. It is so common here that people who get exactly what the guy got are having great experiences. I did not say that the guy is wrong or bad or that his choices were wrong or bad. I stated that his success and pleasure should be no surprise, and they aren't.

As far as caliber, my statement was directed this way: the 30-06 used to be the do-it-all cartridge, but it is now the 7mm-08 which has begun to usurp that role.

I am a self-appointed expert in my own experience. Who do you guys turn to for expertise in yours? I can guess.
Posted By: deflave Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
Nice rifle Bob.

I could love a couple in 7-08 and .223.

Travis
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
I'm gonna be needin a montucky.
Tongue in cheek gets lost in writing.

I was actually saying that the guy made smart choices and it turned out well, and that is is no surprise. It is so common here that people who get exactly what the guy got are having great experiences. I did not say that the guy is wrong or bad or that his choices were wrong or bad. I stated that his success and pleasure should be no surprise, and they aren't.

As far as caliber, my statement was directed this way: the 30-06 used to be the do-it-all cartridge, but it is now the 7mm-08 which has begun to usurp that role.

I am a self-appointed expert in my own experience. Who do you guys turn to for expertise in yours? I can guess.

Can't argue a thing with the above.
Posted By: lastround Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
Bob,
Congratulations on a nice rifle and caliber. I've been around a few Montana's (though I've never owned one) and had a few 7mm-08's. I like'em both a lot.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle ... - 08/14/14
Originally Posted by deflave
Nice rifle Bob.

I could love a couple in 7-08 and .223.

Travis

Stupid GOOD day for both OEM and Improved .378" boltface versions of same today.

Had both out past the 1500yd line.................
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: New rifle ... - 08/16/14
Yeah bobcape it's looking good and a cow elk will be going down for sure. Hunt and shoot what you said was right but you sounded like a dick the way you said it, being from Montana won't save you forever, you could get evicted. Mag Man
Posted By: cal74 Re: New rifle ... - 08/16/14

I get a kick outta posts like this, why the hell do people that don't care to read about other peoples rifles come to places like this?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle ... - 08/16/14
Second,third and fourth hand...is as close as some can get...................(grin)
© 24hourcampfire