Home
I have a beautiful little Sako Vixen I'd love to hunt with more, but seems there's no lighter weight 6mm bullet designed to hold together enough to hunt deer with. Because of twist, any bullet over 80 gr. really isn't suitable. Anyone hunt with one, if so, what bullet would you deem sufficient for deer sized game?

What cheeses me most is in 22 caliber, there's a 60 gr Partition offering, but nothing like that in a 6mm unless you reach 95-100 grains.
I used 70 grain ballistic tips loaded by federal for several years from a 243. They worked great and I never knew they was varmint bullets till I joined here and started hand loading.
The 58V-Max is a rugged bastard and I've poked it into Venison at 4000fps+.

Though not "designed" nor "hyped" as a means to that literal end,it do have THE Mustard.

Hint.

The A1's bane is COAL and twist,with that V-Max fending both capably..............
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
I have a beautiful little Sako Vixen I'd love to hunt with more, but seems there's no lighter weight 6mm bullet designed to hold together enough to hunt deer with. Because of twist, any bullet over 80 gr. really isn't suitable. Anyone hunt with one, if so, what bullet would you deem sufficient for deer sized game?

What cheeses me most is in 22 caliber, there's a 60 gr Partition offering, but nothing like that in a 6mm unless you reach 95-100 grains.

I've recently taken 4 hogs with a 6 x 47 using the 70 gr. sierra blitz. Admittedly 50 yds or less, but they dropped and paddled. I've also loaded some 80 gr. TTSX in the 6 x 47.
Although I prefer larger diameter chamberings, I have no doubt of the efficacy of an 80 gr. TTSX at reasonable range.

Best,

GWB
GS Customs 62 HP shoots nicely in the slow twisted Sako 6PPC.
They are about as exotic as a Barnes on design, more so on the price tag.

The throat hits miles before mag OAL with a PPC case. Longer cases, not so much...
Gerard has [bleep] alotta folks I know.

They're an EASY pass...................
Last I knew he was moving some manufacturing to the States. That was 2-3 years ago. Must have been parcel to the Fphucking?

I've got some, secondhand. Bout the only stout thing I could think of for the bone stock PPC.

FPhucking folks ain't nice. Ditch the GS, I guess.
He's a POS.

Easy to pass on that................(hint)
I'll re-hint.....for the kchunts.
Some need all the help they can get and yet get caught with wares in hand...then try to justify it.

Though it's funny!................
I'll lie next time....
It will take more than that.

Hint...............
Nosler does make a 6mm 85 gr Partition. It may be worth a try. I recently acquired a Cooper 21 chambered in 6x47 (6mm-.222 Rem Mag), but w/a 1 in 10" twist.
Ain't happening.............(hint)
I have a super-short action that was a 223wssm. I'm planning to turn it into a 6 Dasher with a 1:8 to shoot 58-80 bullets at varmints and 95-105 at medium game. Opinions?

That is the best cartridge I could come up with for that gun/action. Moving away from the magnum boltface is a must. It's an A-bolt, and the pitiful amount of steel on the lugs when shaved to a magnum doesn't cut it for the bolt thrust that comes with cartridges that short. Somehow, I busted the lug that holds the extractor on mine. I'm sure it was an overpressure situation, but it wasn't when the lug broke.
Who are you going to con into bushing the boltface from .532" to .473"? What are you going to do for the box and follower?

Throw the works off a cliff,into a lake and do it right.

Don't be in a hurry to make BAD decisions...............
A-bolts have a pinned in lug assembly/boltface. It is a swap thing, from .532 to .473- at least that is what I understand, from my research. There's a shop up north here in MT, McGowen, that will work on Brownings, and they chamber the Dasher.

The deal is that the gun was a gift from my dad. I'd like to pass it along, because it's one f-up on top of another, but sentiment tells me I should hold onto it. I love my dad. He is in the final stages of Alzheimers. He loved shooting, and my love of shooting/loading came from him.

I could short-throat a 22-250 Ackley in it, but a fast-twist 6 gets me real range with good bullets. If I'd seen a single available 75 Amax in the last 5 years, I'd be thinking 22 cal over 6.
Throw the works off a cliff,into a lake and do it right.

Don't be in a hurry to make BAD decisions...............
Either way, it's a compromise. Tying this into the main thread topic, Op: a 1:14 6PPC will kill deer, etc. It is an accurate cartridge, but it is a target cartridge, designed for short and mid-range cartridge shooting. You're better off to go pick up a Walmart special 243 Win, because twist rate allows for the vast majority of hunting bullets, it has loads more power than PPC, and the platform is likely more hunter-friendly. The headstamp doesn't matter. It ends up being about twist rate limitations and velocity limitations, or lack thereof.

Certainly, varmint bullets into the heart/lungs of game up to the big ungulates will kill them quick, but it is specialized stuff, and isn't for 'average Joe' hunting.

I have a PPC at my disposal, but it is an imported Sako, and a heavy target gun, is worth a dozen Walmart Specials. I'd rather take a hunting rifle hunting.
Stick proper spun good bullets where they belong, thru vitals, to modest ranges, and a PPC will do fine. Leave out part of that equation, and you might do some tracking at best.

Control your shots - distance, presentation, and POI. If unwilling, better rounds are to be had. Killed a few with a BR, deer died as well as hit with any other round, up to 400 yds.
Good bullets,in good places...do GREAT things.

Reliably...............
Turns out its "goatphuck" bullets, goatphuck BC, most under 70 grains need be had/just fine in the Sako PPC, else your stuck whining for your mistreated friends....

A 55 Ballistic will whack a deer just fine, in the soft spots. So will a handful of others.
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any deer on the planet with a 70gr Nosler tight behind the shoulder. The sierra 75gr HP works really well also on deer at just under the 3K velocity as well (and is a little "tougher"). These finding were with a 6x45 but the 6ppc should be VERY similar.
Originally Posted by coleridge
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any deer on the planet with a 70gr Nosler tight behind the shoulder.

Nor would I. I'm usually a "premium" user for big game, but the 70 gr. BT is a killing machine.
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any deer on the planet with a 70gr Nosler tight behind the shoulder.

Nor would I. I'm usually a "premium" user for big game, but the 70 gr. BT is a killing machine.

Share some of those "Premium" Bucks,"conquered" with same...............
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any deer on the planet with a 70gr Nosler tight behind the shoulder. The sierra 75gr HP works really well also on deer at just under the 3K velocity as well (and is a little "tougher"). These finding were with a 6x45 but the 6ppc should be VERY similar.

Display "your" Planet's BEST harvested Buck and perhaps muse the "particulars" of it's demise....................
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a dink with a 243/6mm.
8mm or BUST for me!.............
I prefer a 180 g boolet traveling at least 3000 fps. I can see where a 243 might be useful for women or children, however.
I like a non-descript bullet,at an IMAGINED speed...fired by someone who can reliably place same................(grin)
I run a 6X47 Rem with a 1:12 twist, nearly same capacity as the PPC. I have a lot of confidence in the 70 grain NBT, I've used it on prairie dogs to pronghorn and white tail deer. It will work very well if you just put it to the task.
70gr ballistic tips are awesome in the wind.
UBER awesome.............
Nothing bucks the wind and kills deer decisively at any range like short varmint bullets in smaller cals at moderate speeds. That's a given.
Big Meplats and slowwwwww...is how you trick Mother Nature..............
I love a big flat meplat. Turns my 44 into a scrambler. It's about as aerodynamic as a kite though. With a decent sight, dead wind, and artillery hold, it's a 300yd gun. I don't know if I'll hit, but if I do, it's dead.
Pistols are for fighting your way to a rifle...................(hint)
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

At least as well as can be expected with the case capacity of the PPC.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

At least as well as can be expected with the case capacity of the PPC.

I agree. My dad thought it was the best option too, when shooting farther than 100. He never did get to all of the capability of his Sako, the PPC case prepped all fancy-like. It was his favorite to take to the range though.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pistols are for fighting your way to a rifle...................(hint)

I was talking about my rifle, with 2-7 optic. I'd not take a shot like that with a handgun today. I'm no Elmer Keith. The 20" bbl propels 300's at levels that make connecting on 300 yd shots on demand a likelihood, with practice.
Few things as soothing as "likelihood".

Give or take..................(hint)
Lots of mils from 200-300 when lobbing - as my 357 Marlin or 30/30 Handgun showed. Most any will kill further than we can always drill....vitals
You don't wanna catch a 40gr 22LR launched solid at 600yds,with your belly button.................(grin)

Display "your" Planet's BEST harvested Buck and perhaps muse the "particulars" of it's demise....................

Not sure if you understood my post or not� I surely was not saying I have ever killed any of (as you stated) "planets best" deer with the nosler or any other for that matter... Nor was I saying that a 6ppc with a 70gr nosler would be my rifle pick of the litter knowing the next world record was on the other side of that bush� What I was saying, if he was standing there broadside and that�s what I had in my hands, I wouldn�t hesitate, nor would I feel under gunned. Instead of thinking "wonder if this bullet is enought", I would be thinking "damn, I just killed the biggest deer ever".

That explained� my primary deer rifle is not a 6mm caliber, so those few �big� deer that I have found while fumbling around in the woods (again still not the "planests best"), haven�t been killed with the 70gr Nosler, so no pictures of them here wink.

However, here in NC we have a liberal deer season/limit. Pretty much �unlimited� doe tags are pretty nice around or after our 2-4 buck limit (depending on Zone). Since I like to shoot, I take advantage of that fact & our target rich environment. I kill a good many deer every year with several different rifles/combinations/distances. The 70gr Nosler out of 6x45,6br,& 243 is one of the favorites.

As far as details� Most deer I have shot with the bullet have been lung shots. They typically spin off & are found 20-40 yards away (of course a few are shorter & further, but talking about inside the bell curve). You can use your imagination for results on head & neck shots. Even on shoulder (most quartering toward), still no problem getting enough penetration to turn innards to soup. The few center shoulder shots have resulted same as head/neck production.

I started shooting this bullet because of a friend. He has used it nearly exclusive for years & killed a large number (more than many guys will kill in a lifetime)of deer with it out of a 6BR shooting them anywhere from the tail to nose with very good results.

While definitely not the biggest on the planet, but I have killed a few with the 70gr that were worth taking a picture of while out with some of my �play� rifles� Just remember, for every deer worth taking a picture of; there a many others that were killed were be it does, dinks, or stuff some might even be embarrassed to be seen with. To sum it up� I have an amble sample of victims to be very confident in the bullets ability. It just works.

The few "70'd" deer worth pictures. Hope they make you happy smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just one question?

Are you bitching,or bragging?

Thanks!...............
Neither- only answering your question/wish
In fairness,the NBT's get better and better...the slower they go and they do get "great",only when setting on the shelf.................
In fairness,the NBT's get better and better...the slower they go and they do get "great",only when setting on the shelf.................

I totally agree. The vmax is were its at (hint) whistle

Have a good day. I'll stop ruining the OP thread
I've some familiarity with a V-Max or two..."surprisingly" enough.

Add all the humor you dare,as you aren't ruining anything...................

Not sure if you understood my post or not� I surely was not saying I have ever killed any of (as you stated) "planets best" deer with the nosler or any other for that matter... Nor was I saying that a 6ppc with a 70gr nosler would be my rifle pick of the litter knowing the next world record was on the other side of that bush� What I was saying, if he was standing there broadside and that�s what I had in my hands, I wouldn�t hesitate, nor would I feel under gunned. Instead of thinking "wonder if this bullet is enought", I would be thinking "damn, I just killed the biggest deer ever".

That explained� my primary deer rifle is not a 6mm caliber, so those few �big� deer that I have found while fumbling around in the woods (again still not the "planests best"), haven�t been killed with the 70gr Nosler, so no pictures of them here wink.

However, here in NC we have a liberal deer season/limit. Pretty much �unlimited� doe tags are pretty nice around or after our 2-4 buck limit (depending on Zone). Since I like to shoot, I take advantage of that fact & our target rich environment. I kill a good many deer every year with several different rifles/combinations/distances. The 70gr Nosler out of 6x45,6br,& 243 is one of the favorites.

As far as details� Most deer I have shot with the bullet have been lung shots. They typically spin off & are found 20-40 yards away (of course a few are shorter & further, but talking about inside the bell curve). You can use your imagination for results on head & neck shots. Even on shoulder (most quartering toward), still no problem getting enough penetration to turn innards to soup. The few center shoulder shots have resulted same as head/neck production.

I started shooting this bullet because of a friend. He has used it nearly exclusive for years & killed a large number (more than many guys will kill in a lifetime)of deer with it out of a 6BR shooting them anywhere from the tail to nose with very good results.

While definitely not the biggest on the planet, but I have killed a few with the 70gr that were worth taking a picture of while out with some of my �play� rifles� Just remember, for every deer worth taking a picture of; there a many others that were killed were be it does, dinks, or stuff some might even be embarrassed to be seen with. To sum it up� I have an amble sample of victims to be very confident in the bullets ability. It just works.

The few "70'd" deer worth pictures. Hope they make you happy smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice looking bucks. What part of the state do you all hunt?
The gutter,behind Dink Creek.................
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Nice looking bucks. What part of the state do you all hunt?

I hunt/hunted pretty much all over from the peidmont to the coast. But mostly in the dead center of the state. A reasonable drive from home, Im in the woods 98% of the days during mzldr&gun season (late Oct-Jan1).

BS was REAL close.

The gutter,behind Dink Creek.................

I did get a chuckle from that grin Only one of those deer would have ever made much & he showed up on a day I was looking to shoot; a year or two early.
I know,I know...they all made Georgie's Maine Minimum.....................(grin)
© 24hourcampfire