Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/23/14
Select Grade in either 30-06, or 280ai

Made myself a goal that I can get this knee back in top shape and drop 25 pounds by the end of OCT i'm treatingmyself to one
Posted By: ingwe Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/23/14
Well, your mind is already made up! Start saving! grin
I have read of " problems" with the Montana and wondered if they rolled over to the wood stocked verions as well
Posted By: ingwe Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/23/14
Well, since it appears you made up your mind�I was a being kind. I wouldn't walk across the street to dump a Kimber in the sewer�..
That bad huh
I've had the opposite experience as Ingwe. Though I've not owned a Select Grade, the 5 Montanas I've owned have all been great.

The only issue I've had is with an early production 243, which wouldn't always feed so well. Sent it back on Kimber's dime, and they reworked the feed ramp angle. Returned in a couple weeks and fed great from there on out. This was an issue inherent to some of the early rifles. Apparently an occasional bad barrel got out early as well. I think if a guy keeps to a 3 position safety rifle, especially one made in the last few years, things will stay gold, ponyboy.
Posted By: RickF Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/24/14
Read up on 280AI throats vs mag lengths in that model.
I have a Montana 30-06 84L I'll sell you and save you some money

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/24/14
My 84M is a shooter, and has been flawless. They are not for everybody and I can understand why. Even for me it is just a bit too light for an all around rifle, but it fills a niche for those times when I prefer to carry a rifle under 6 lbs scoped.

I've handled the long actions and the same feel and balance is just not there. Hard to describe, but I feel the short actions are where it is at with the Kimbers.
Kimber Select in 30-06 or 280AI would be fine either way. I am partial to the '06 but its your choice. Shoot it first without any modifications to get a starting point. You may have to tweak - don't be disappointed. Get that knee back in shape and enjoy the new rifle!
My 84L Select 30-06 has been awesome for all 8 shots I have fired through it! I got the Select 30-06 and a Montana in 308 at about the same time and didn't need both so I took them to the range to see which I liked better - the 30-06 stayed and the .308 went down the road. Both shot great but after 2 shots to get dialed in I shot one 3 shot group with both of the 2 factory 30-06 loads I had laying around. One went 1.08" and the other was .68". Keep in mind that his was a windy day in late summer in Houston (high 90's) and I had never fired a Kimber before - so much for them being hard to shoot off the bench! Your experience may vary but I've been very successful at Kimber roulette in my test group of two. The only downside to the 84L select is it too pretty to take out of the safe as evidenced by the fact that I have shot mine 8 times since owning it.
Originally Posted by ingwe
I wouldn't walk across the street to dump a Kimber in the sewer�..

You've got to understand that Ingwe couldn't walk across the street to dump one, the sewer runs right through his yard........shizzammm!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/24/14
I've got two 84m's. One a classic 308 and one a classic select 257 with AA wood. I think they're the best thing going. I don't have an 84L, yet.

Thinking I am going to buy a classic select 84L and rebarrel to 7x57. Ing we won't know what to say about that conundrum. smile

I have a 84M classic in 308 Win. It's a great gun shoots sub MOA. That being said, if I was you, I would build a 30-06 just to your liking. If you never built one before there are some good people on here who would be more than willing to help you out.
Example: doing a Winchester action have Redneck on here to build it for you. You will not have to hope it shoots.
I have a classic in 30-06. Great rifle.

Also a Montana in 260, another great rfile.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Chris
my 2 cents. why spend all that money on a kimber when all you read is that they are hit or miss in accuracy? just buy one of the rifles that are known to be accurate.....1000 - 15000 is a lot to spend on a gun thats so so on accuracy.....weatherby savage sako tika and a bunch of others are proven tack drivers...
i don't like the looks of any of those
Get the Select Grade in 30-06 (or 270 to lighten the recoil a smidge, skip the 280AI problems), and don't look back. The new Kimbers I've been around have the quality control thing all taken care of now. Much better than other recent new rifles I've been around.
I love my 84L Montana is 280ai. I've killed three animals with it elk, mule deer and bighorn and all three dropped at the shot.
Posted By: byd Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/24/14
Brymoore
What was your load for your 280 ai ?
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i don't like the looks of any of those

bingo!!!
Originally Posted by byd
Brymoore
What was your load for your 280 ai ?

160 gr Accubonds
VV N165 powder (Don't have how much at work).
I have a 84l in 30-06 that shoots about everything I've run through it just under an inch. For a gun that points and carries so nice it shoots pretty well.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by Horseman
I have a 84l in 30-06 that shoots about everything I've run through it just under an inch. For a gun that points and carries so nice it shoots pretty well.

My 280ai Montana is the same, shoots factory 280 well and its not picky about reloads with most that's been tried between 1/2-3/4"
I have a .308 Montana. Haven't rung it out, but so far seems to be shooting really well at around an inch or better with the three or four loads I put through it. I liked it enough that i have an identical 84L in .30-06 on the way. Will let you know how it shoots if I can get it scoped and to the range this weekend.
Kimber 308 win first load development with reduced loads. Never mind the powder name on the target, because it was H4895.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No complaints from me!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/26/14
"Oh yeah, but what'll it do at 200 or 300?"

Of course if it was from a Remington 700 it would be "yep, best shooting factory gun there is"

smile
Posted By: ME109 Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by Cheesy
"Oh yeah, but what'll it do at 200 or 300?"

This:
[Linked Image]
I love target pictures
Posted By: ingwe Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I love target pictures

Me too.

I know he told us not to mind what kind of powder, but its like a festering sore, I just gotta look at it.
H4098 or H4890�.neither of which exist�..so it begs the question �... crazy
When I sell mine I will be sure to post some target pictures with tiny groups and long yardage notes inked on same

Explain that it's a shooter with the right load if you do your part.....always funny
Posted By: ingwe Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/27/14
Please be sure to use some of that magical mystery powder!

Made myself a goal that I can get this knee back in top shape and drop 25 pounds by the end of OCT i'm treatingmyself to one
Schit,for that kind of money,you could get a Winchester M 70 Super Grade .30-06 and have a little bit of money left over.

If you shop Gunbroker.com or Gunsinternational.com you might get a Winchester Super Grade for a good price.

Just my cheap,penny pinching .02 worth. grin

Schit,for that kind of money,you could get a Winchester M 70 Super Grade .30-06 and have a little bit of money left over.

If you buy guns by the pound, you're definitely getting more for your money with the M70 grin
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

If you shop Gunbroker.com or Gunsinternational.com you might get a Winchester Super Grade for a good price.

Just my cheap,penny pinching .02 worth. grin

I kike the Super Grades, but they are heavier than a dead Canadian
I love target pictures

Me too.

MT 243 at 200 yards..............wait for it Poobs......

BOOM!

[Linked Image]
[quote=tedthorn]

I know he told us not to mind what kind of powder, but its like a festering sore, I just gotta look at it.

Yup, can never remember H8495 or is it H 4598 whatever it is confuses me so I just use Varget....
Posted By: K1500 Re: Thoughts on the Kimber 84 L - 09/28/14
Sam,

That's a violation of U.S. Code itle 18/section 17 relating to the destruction of money. Better redact that pic!
Wimp. grin
Originally Posted by K1500
Sam,

That's a violation of U.S. Code itle 18/section 17 relating to the destruction of money. Better redact that pic!

On the Rez, sovereign nation, etc....
I love target pictures

Me too.

Man thats funny!!! That's why I said never mind the name, cuz I made it up smile ..... Didn't remember the H# until I got home.
The Montana is a cool design, but the 7mm-08 I bought used came with a really rough barrel, that behaves funky - shoots much better with a warm barrel, rather than cold. They caught enough flak about it that I expect new ones have better barrels.

So - a new one is a decent bet, but I wouldn't buy a used one unless you knew it to shoot well, or could plan on rebarreling.
© 24hourcampfire